• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Varna

Yeah, I don't think I'm playing the same game. Unless all my weapons suck I either have to get a headshot or else enemies just shrug off my arrows or bullets.

Maybe sponges wasn't the right word. I other shooter I've played enemies just keep coming at you no matter were you hit them. In this game even hitting center mass can have some kind of advantage even it's just to buy you a couple of seconds.

Maybe sponges wasn't the right word. I other shooter I've played enemies just keep coming at you no matter were you hit them. In this game even hitting center mass can have some kind of advantage even it's just to buy you a few seconds.
Gotcha, they do at least flinch pretty dramatically, opening up some opportunities. I get your meaning now.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Gotcha, they do at least flinch pretty dramatically, opening up some opportunities. I get your meaning now.

UC3 in particular was so bad in NOT doing this. The enemies would rush you, not flinch at all and just flush you out of cover to kill you. It was like they were sentient about the fact they were AI enemies in a videogame and fully exploited that.

REV 09

game is starting to get better as Lara becomes more empowered. even though most were bashing the transformation....whiny Lara just did nothing for me.

Andrew.

Banned
Anyone else notice how every supporting character calls her Laura? At least that what it sure sounds like. I don't think its accents either.

ebil

Anyone else notice how every supporting character calls her Laura? At least that what it sure sounds like. I don't think its accents either.
Yes, a lot of them seem to call her Laura, especially Sam.
I'm pretty sure I've even heard Lara referring to herself as something inbetween "Lara" and "Laura" at one point, it's not very consistent.

Edit: btw, I bought and started the game today after reading a lot of praise here. Liking it a lot better than I thought I would, so far.

UC3 in particular was so bad in NOT doing this. The enemies would rush you, not flinch at all and just flush you out of cover to kill you. It was like they were sentient about the fact they were AI enemies in a videogame and fully exploited that.

It was such an odd experience, especially with the borked aiming reticle(that somehow the entire gaming journalist reviewing community missed but was plain as day actually playing the game). I went back to UC2 for a second, and HEY, I can aim wherever I want at the same speed, and LOOK, when I shoot people, they react accordingly, grabbing their shoulders or leaning to the side where I shot them! How do you screw this up?

Although the worst bullet sponges have got to be in UC1. May God have mercy on you if you weren't doing headshots with the pistols. Who would have thought t-shirt wearing pirates could soak up so many shots!

Mangotron

One thing I do wish it had was enemy variety. Even some snipers or something would mix it up a bit, even the enemies at the end are just reskins of the ones you've been fighting all the way through. True bosses would've been nice too.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Ran into a game-ending glitch on the PS3 version. Late game spoilers:
As soon as I got the rope ascension item, I have to pull he weight over the grate and it'll fall. The weight is bugged out. It's covered in artifacts when I use survival instinct. When I pull it, it kinda multiplies. One tries to move, but it can't go through the other

I've tried it on 2 different systems. Same results. Because of the constant autosaving, there's no way for me to go back to a previous checkpoint. There's nothing I can do except start over.

This was a potential GOTY for me. Having to restart after making this much progress isn't something I'm willing to do immediately, so I'll be waiting until I can pick this up in a few months on the cheap. So disappointed. No manual saving is incredibly fucking stupid.

H2Yo

Yes, a lot of them seem to call her Laura, especially Sam.
I'm pretty sure I've even heard Lara referring to herself as something inbetween "Lara" and "Laura" at one point, it's not very consistent.

Edit: btw, I bought and started the game today after reading a lot of praise here. Liking it a lot better than I thought I would, so far.

I have finished the game and I don't remember anyone calling her Laura at all. Sometimes the American accent can make Lara sound similar to Laura but it was never outright Laura.

Ran into a game-ending glitch on the PS3 version. Late game spoilers:
As soon as I got the rope ascension item, I have to pull he weight over the grate and it'll fall. The weight is bugged out. It's covered in artifacts when I use survival instinct. When I pull it, it kinda multiplies. One tries to move, but it can't go through the other

I've tried it on 2 different systems. Same results. Because of the constant autosaving, there's no way for me to go back to a previous checkpoint. There's nothing I can do except start over.

This was a potential GOTY for me. Having to restart after making this much progress isn't something I'm willing to do immediately, so I'll be waiting until I can pick this up in a few months on the cheap. So disappointed. No manual saving is incredibly fucking stupid.

There is a solution. Involved holding your bow out and walking on the sides. There is a video out there somewhere I believe.

Canon

Banned
I'm enjoying this a hell of lot more than any Uncharted game, which I found boring. I have many small complaints but so far so good.

(I didn't like any previous Tomb Raider).

statham

I think I'm close to beating this game, It IMO has surpass the greatness of UC2, definitely 1 &3. Even the gunplay is better. exploring is great fun, the tombs are a too short, needs to be more complex but overall its been a crazy ride. I'll finish it up tomorrow, hope this gets good & long DLC. and original tomb raider clothing as a option. and this killed by phenom x6/7850, it started out great with most things on ultra, and I'm switching to normal graphics halfway through + hair effects. and how many Molotov cocktails can the badguys have!

Awwwwwwww yeah! The DLC costumes are already up!

w9YoYxG.gif

RagnarokX

I just beat the game. There are moments that feel like the game I want, but they were few and far between and buried deep under tons of monotonous combat sequences. If they can get their priorities straight for a sequel I'd be on board. I like the setup at the end.

For those that know, what is there to do after you complete the game? Can you go back like a new game+ with everything you've upgraded and unlocked available to you?

I don't know if I've actually managed to get past a QTE without dying multiple times so far. They are easily the worst one's I've encountered since like... Jericho? Yea probably jericho.

At least they put checkpoints directly in front of each one.

Yeah they really are awful. I recommend if you want to really see the 7th circle of hell you play the game on PC though.

I just beat the game. There are moments that feel like the game I want, but they were few and far between and buried deep under tons of monotonous combat sequences. If they can get their priorities straight for a sequel I'd be on board. I like the setup at the end.

Well I'll be....this is quite surprising coming from you.

DSN2K

I've played a few hours and it simply feels like I'm playing small segments to get to the next set piece....

Its kind of boring to be honest and the game fails to excel at anything in its core game play from exploration/platforming/combat.

Well I'll be....this is quite surprising coming from you.

Don't get me wrong, the majority of the game is shit.

This is amazing.

I've been having a lot of fun with the combat. Thankfully Crystal Dynamics didn't pull a Naughty Dog with UC3 where they threw out enemy AI design out the window. I didn't expect the Alan Wake-ish level with the dodge, but I am definitely aiming to fill out that tree.

The combat in this game is a blast. I found Uncharted to be a chore, but this game quite the opposite. I also enjoy the stealth snipes using the bow. And lastly, there's not a silly amount of fighting. Feels right. I have been having a blast with this game so far.

Varna

The combat in this game is a blast. I found Uncharted to be a chore, but this game quite the opposite. I also enjoy the stealth snipes using the bow. And lastly, there's not a silly amount of fighting. Feels right. I have been having a blast with this game so far.

Um.. yeah. You will get there. Trust me.

OK, let me just ask. I found the combat/exploration ratio pretty good early on. Shanty town is just wave after wave though... does it get better or worse?

RagnarokX

Just wait for it. Halfway through the game the combat gets a LOT worse.

OK, let me just ask. I found the combat/exploration ratio pretty good early on. Shanty town is just wave after wave though... does it get better or worse?

Shantytown is the most concentrated dose of it, but there's more where that came from. Lots more waves of dudes you can't headshot, dudes with dynamite, dudes with molotovs.

Cheska

Are those DLC costumes showing up for anyone on the PS3? I really want the Aviator one but can't seem to find them in the store.

Does this game have any unlockable outfits or weapons? If so how do you go about getting them. Spoiler tag if necessary.

No unlockable outfits. As for weapons, you get them progressing the story and you can upgrade them using salvage. Eventually come across weapon parts to upgrade them to superior versions of the same weapon along with some new modifications.

For example the old Assault Rifle becomes and
AK-47
after finding 3 rifle parts

Lime

Better. Shanty Town is the worst. But you will still receive waves of enemies in various spots, though not in the same amount as Shanty Town and Temple of Explosions.

No unlockable outfits. As for weapons, you get them progressing the story and you can upgrade them using salvage. Eventually come across weapon parts to upgrade them to superior versions of the same weapon along with some new modifications.

For example the old Assault Rifle becomes and
AK-47
after finding 3 rifle parts

That's disappointing. I'm finding everything I missed since I beat the game but I guess it's only for achievements. Thank you.

Varna

Good to hear.

It's funny, but I found my old school assault rifle magically transforming into an
AK
a lot more distracting then any cutscene related cognitive dissonance .

Top Bottom