• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Spazznid

Is that so? My understanding of Biology is low; I seldom study that topic. I feel like she is going to catch something awful by entering that pool!

This would be my first and final adventure. That's enough battle wounds for one lifetime. Hell, all of the abuse she takes, I would think she should like a monster.

She does accumulate quite a few cuts and scars throughout the game.

ibdMJ6gjTw4ig2.png

I'm really bad at aiming in this game. Moves way to fast to me... don't play many Third Person Shooters... maybe that's why?

Anyone else have trouble aiming in the game?

The problem is the acceleration of aiming :/ They put a sensitivity bar in there, but it doesn't affect acceleration. This sucks because this game is all about getting headshots.

Grisby

Man, got the rope arrows. Suddenly everything is a giant rope maze.

Having a great time. Lara also controls really well and I love the pickaxe climbing.

The problem is the acceleration of aiming :/ They put a sensitivity bar in there, but it doesn't affect acceleration. This sucks because this game is all about getting headshots.

Ah, ok. Was wondering why I was struggling to ever keep the reticules on people's head.

Also, about how far would you guys say/guess I am into the game?

Barely found out the wolves took the package with all the medicine, and I"m going to retrieve it.

Toa TAK

Banned
Sorry for the long post, I just wanted to get all my thoughts down.

Tomb Raider's single player experience was great. I just finished it at 77% percent on Easy "Hard" mode will all tombs completed. For the first act in a reboot, I thought it did a great job and I had a lot of fun going through the campaign. The Aviatrix was available day one, so I bought that off the bat (I'm part of the problem, I know), and went through the whole game in it. Personally, I thought it suit her a lot more, but that's just me. Having been excited for the game and keeping an eye on the main trailers (never watched the Final Hours videos), almost all of the big set pieces were spoiled for me, but were still intense once I knew the context of them.

The combat was a lot of fun, the cover system, in my opinion, works flawlessly. I hope they improve or add more chances to be stealthy. All too often I would try to silently pick off a few men in a large group before they all just started shooting. Or other situations where you didn't have a choice but to fight guns n' blazin'. The bow is great, though. The other weapons do their jobs, but I stuck with the bow for the most part. Enemy types were fun, once the bigger, armored "melee" opponents jumped into the fray it was type to change things up weapon-wise. Finishers and using the pick are brutal, but I didn't feel that Lara was the murdering maniac we were all suspecting her of being in the marketing (even if she is one, which the main villain is quick to point out).

The hunting, though, I didn't feel as if it had a big enough role, or if it was supposed to have one beyond the first bit in the story. After that, it feels like there aren't many animals on the island, and if you do kill them you just get more salvage. The XP system and upgrading system feels funny at first, but I quickly got the hang of it. It's kinda funny how
the Type 99 somehow turns into an AK-47 with a few parts.

Item collecting is as tedious as it is in any other game, but it makes up for it a bit to hear Lara's thoughts on the matter. Even in other documents by others, you can still see what she thinks. It's interesting and I could see what ran through her mind. That, and for some characters in particular, their actions in the story could've been completely random to me if it weren't for those documents/journals/whatever. It's cool to zoom in for other artifacts for some extra info. My favorite artifact found was the one where,
after getting aboard her own hype train, she finds out it was made in China!

Visually, the game looks great. From the screenshots and even videos, I didn't think so. I wasn't impressed with what I saw until I actually played the game. Glad to be wrong. The animations were well done, and the use of mo-cap did justice to the characters. Environments were spot on, too. The island is a character of its own, everything from temples, shipwrecks, planes,
the mounds of dead bodies and river of blood,
it's all great
(and HORRIFYING, seriously, my first thought were the kinds of diseases and illness Lara could get, that's just gross).

The story was good. I think it was very interesting seeing Lara's progression handled in the game the way it was. Thought it was done very well. It's awesome to see a timid and scared Lara in the beginning of the game pleading with the cultists not to shoot her, up to her practically chest pounding about how she's going to kill them all. Those bastards. I also thought it was a nice touch to see Lara being the smallest of the group, too.
Jonah's nickname for her was cute, "Little Bird",
and even the cultists call her out on her size in the game, (with the appropriate responses from Lara, of course). I'll just say here that Jonah and Roth were probably my favorite characters besides the "Optional Tomb Raider" herself. And thank God they didn't skimp out on boss fights! I'm tired of some AAA games out there that don't include a boss with a frustrating enemy in the story (I'm looking at you AC3, ME3, and Halo 4 [pressing RT doesn't count]).
The giant Oni Watcher was fun, especially getting him to wipe out his own guys. I know that Father Mathias was just trigger mashing, but that was satisfying because you know that's Lara's iconic weapons in action.

Set pieces were awesome, too. Intense and nerve wracking as they should be. One of my favorites was
the escape from the temple, awesome explosions everywhere, cultists getting nailed,
and more of Lara's epic jumping (which, by the way, her normal jump makes her look like she's always trying to make an epic jump somewhere. Even over the stream)!
The Ziggurat level in its entirety was great as well. Very climatic.

The score by Jason Graves is fitting. His themes for the game is fantastic and seals the mood wherever appropriate. Though, like a lot of his other scores, I feel like some of his music, beyond his great themes, quickly turn into background noise/music. It's there, it works, but it's forgettable on it's own, like some classical music (which makes sense considering where his inspiration for his music comes from). But the variations of the main theme, whether it's action packed, or calm and quiet, it's amazing. I generally like Graves' work, including his Dead Space scores, and this was the same to me, meaning, there was some great music in there, and then there's other stuff. But again, the themes outdo the rest.

The campaign had a great length. Not once did I feel like it was being dragged out too long, if anything, I was having enough fun for this game not to end so soon. Anyways, those were my thoughts on the single-player. I don't think I'm going to be touching the multiplayer anytime soon, but I'm definitely revisiting the campaign again. Though, one disappointment are the unlockables. Don't get me wrong, I find concept art fascinating and character models are cool, too. But I want something I can use in-game. Even beating it Hard got me nothing, not even an achievement? Come on now, folks. I played Hard to extend the game's running time for me, don't make it worth nothing but a "Thanks for playing our game!'

But on that note, you're welcome. Looking forward to the sequel, "Womb Raider", where Lara duel-wields her way into the Krakhen's stomach.

Set pieces were awesome, too. Intense and nerve wracking as they should be. One of my favorites was
the escape from the temple, awesome explosions everywhere, cultists getting nailed,
and more of Lara's epic jumping (which, by the way, her normal jump makes her look like she's always trying to make an epic jump somewhere. Even over the stream)!

That was my fave, so good.

Dead

well not really...yet
I think I'm the only one who loves the combat as well as the waves of enemies in this game. Never liked them much in Uncharted 2 and 3 and they were unbearable in uncharted 1. But for some reason, this game does them in a way that I actually look forward to...
Naw, its fun as hell. I want more of it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
finished it.it is not a good game and is just lacking in almost all fronts.

Game really just fall apart halfway through,the story is really C-grade and gameplay kept the boring repetitive nature of it and didn't change it, dudes were there just for me to harvest them there was no challenge,really poor AI and difficulty and the lack of satisfaction for everything you do ,and what were they thinking with the entire ending part?

need to sleep now, will write my full final thoughts on it when I wake up.

antitrop

Thinking about renting this, how are the console versions?
I cannot recommend a rental of this game highly enough. It's absolutely fantastic.
It is, without question, one of the best games I've played in years.

I'm not really sure how far I am (8 hours of gameplay, 44% completion), but I figure I have about another 4-5 and I don't want it to end.

I changed my mind. I suppose it was cause of my being in a bad mood yesterday.

Man, I love the gameplay of this game. I like it a lot, the weapons and the platforming and using ropes on bows and stuff. It reminds me of metroid or Arkham City/Asylum. It's so great.

I'm enjoying it more than I ever did Uncharted.

MEGATON!

I think I'm the only one who loves the combat as well as the waves of enemies in this game. Never liked them much in Uncharted 2 and 3 and they were unbearable in uncharted 1. But for some reason, this game does them in a way that I actually look forward to...

I love the combat and so do heaps of other people in this thread. The automatic cover system, the enemies constantly forcing you to move, the stealth elements, using the environment, the sound and feel of each weapon (also, the sound a fire bottle makes when it erupts sounds so good!) make combat a joy and a clear step up from any Uncharted. I also love the dodge and the great selection of upgrades - it becomes very diverse and gives you lots of options on how you want to approach each fight. I also love how the enemies yell at you and sometimes say stuff like "oh god, she killed Darren", it's a nice little touch.

finished it.it is not a good game and is just lacking in almost all fronts.

Game really just fall apart halfway through,the story is really C-grade and gameplay kept the boring repetitive nature of it and didn't change it, dudes were there just for me to harvest them there was no challenge,really poor AI and difficulty and the lack of satisfaction for everything you do ,and what were they thinking with the entire ending part?

need to sleep now, will write my full final thoughts on it when I wake up.

1vTUbqA.gif

antitrop

It's so rare to play a game that keeps getting so much better as it goes. The first 1-2 hours really so far have been the low-point, as great as they were.

It just keeps going up, Lara just keeps becoming a more lovable and endearing character. I'm probably going to put another hour or two into this tonight and finish it in the early afternoon tomorrow.

DukeBobby

It's so rare to play a game that keeps getting so much better as it goes. The first 1-2 hours really so far have been the low-point, as great as they were.

It just keeps going up, Lara just keeps becoming a more lovable and endearing character.

Unlike most games, it stays good until the very end.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Is square's site all messed up? I'm trying to enter the members code but it takes me to the EU site when I log in and when I try to enter the code it gives me 2 different code options neither of which match mine. Also when I enter the site it tells me to (member.square-enix.com/na) it redirects to the Japanese site...

Anyone able to register their game?

Dead

well not really...yet
Played a few matches of MP and I dunno. One, its noticeably uglier than the SP. By a lot. Its almost blurry? I dont know how else to describe it. Also performance isn't so great, encountered more than a few moments when things got very choppy when getting up close and personal.

The main problem seems to be that it lacks polish, quite a lot of it. Im guessing it was a REALLY late addition to the game.

Maybe if can be improved in future updates?

I really hope we get a meaty Single Player dlc addition rather than all multiplayer DLC.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
So I managed to glitch past the glitch. lol. I'm still mad I had to sit there wiggling the joystick for 15 minutes trying to fall through the floor, but now I can enjoy the game again. It's definitely hurting my opinion of it, though.

There are frame dips on the PS3 version. It gets more frequent as the game goes on. There are also moments where it hitches up a bit, but thankfully they're usually just because of a checkpoint (so no action). I'm impressed by how well the more explosive moments are, though. No issues during the Michael Bay temples.

It just keeps going up, Lara just keeps becoming a more lovable and endearing character. I'm probably going to put another hour or two into this tonight and finish it in the early afternoon tomorrow.

Yeah they got Laura down perfect. You know what breaks my heart that they teease the old theme song all the time. It drives me nuts I keep waiting for it to play out and it never does.

antitrop

Yeah they got Laura down perfect. You know what breaks my heart that they teease the old theme song all the time. It drives me nuts I keep waiting for it to play out and it never does.

They should do it like The Godfather, where each time the theme plays as the film progresses it plays a little bit more each time, until finally the full unabridged theme at the end.

REV 09

i'm also enjoying the combat. i haven't hit the waves though. Uncharted's waves were very annoying, but the enemies are dying quicker in TR...and i feel that the melee/dodge stuff gives you more surprise kills if needed.

I'm really bad at aiming in this game. Moves way to fast to me... don't play many Third Person Shooters... maybe that's why?

Anyone else have trouble aiming in the game?

Yeah I suck at it, not sure what it is about the aiming that feels so different. I guess it's just the acceleration like another poster said.

I only played for a while today, mostly liking it so far. The supporting cast isn't as annoying as I expected from reading the thread, but they might get worse later on.

GenoZStriker

Neo Member
Thought I'd share my thoughts after completing the game. I think that this is probably the best Third Person Shooter I have played since Uncharted 2 and one of the best games to come out this year so far. The game had enough elements for me to consider it a Tomb Raider game. From characters, jumping and utilities, dealing with cultist, tombs (despite being optional), and supernatural occurrence. Despite it focusing more on combat and atmosphere, I would still consider it a Tomb Raider game.

I thought Lara progressed rather well throughout the game, and towards the end she was definitely starting to develop the old Lara personality - fearless, confident with a bit of attitude - albeit still fragile emotionally. It would not surprise me if for the sequel she already is vanilla Lara.

This game is certainly a step in the right direction from the previous games in terms of Lara's overall movement and weapons feel. Auto lock-on classic shooter style worked well for previous games, but if the series would to ever evolve, this was a step that needed to be made. It feels better to have more control over Lara than previous games. If they improve this game and add a few more elements from previous games, we could be looking at what could potentially be a near perfect Tomb Raider game. On to the game itself.

Things I liked:
  • Character movement and feel
  • Gorgeous and nasty looking environment
  • Guns/Bow & Arrow feel solid
  • Combat
  • Upgrade system
  • Lara (She is adorable)
  • The Tombs
  • Some thrilling and cinematic moments
  • Enough to do after you finish story

Things I disliked (Mostly nitpicking as some of it bothered me a bit):
  • Game was too easy
  • Too combat heavy, gets a bit repetitive towards the end
  • Quick time events and cinematic sometimes rob you of potential great fights or moments if you were in control
  • Not many oblibatory tombs and temple puzzles
  • Optional tombs are too easy
  • Not much of the supernatural occurrence or introduced too late
  • I tried to care for the side characters, but for some reason couldn't
  • Not a lot of variety in enemies as you progress
  • Jumps are too easy and at times feel automated
  • Game becomes a bit predictable
  • Fight leading to the ending was disappointing. No Epic moment
  • Decent story
  • No new game ++

Additional things I'd like to see in a sequel:
  • Swan Dive
  • Front/Back flips or running at enemy and launching from them. All that athletic stuff
  • I fought all kinds of dinasours and creatures before. Seriously, I can handle more than just wolves and humans
  • Return of grapple hook
  • Return of dual pistol
  • Swimming
  • A more confident/cocky Lara
  • Croft Manor
  • Unlockable costumes, if you know what I am saying YEAH!

Overall a solid third person shooter, which I definitely recommend buying. The game is certainly a step in the right direction that the franchise needed to take, although there is still room for improvements as I don't think it has to be a full fledged combat focused third person shooter. I am honestly going to be that guy who instead of giving it an 8.5 because I feel it would be too low or an 9 because I find it too high, I am going to give it a 8.74 because I can!

Mission Status: Lara Croft Successfully Protected!

Grisby

Going to bed. This game is in my veins though. One of those deals you think about when your away from the console.
Who's the cutscene director in this game? Michael J Fox? They're killing my eyes here.
I think they're pretty good. Nothing like Max Payne 3's. The transistion between gameplay and cutscene are great, really seamless. I think the god of war 2 guy, Cory Balrog might have done them. Thought I heard that on the bombcast today.

TheExodu5

Banned
Who's the cutscene director in this game? Michael J Fox? They're killing my eyes here.

I have to play this game far enough away for my TV to be able to focus on the game. Even during gameplay the camera is particularly shaky. Now, I do normally play at 2.5' from a 32" TV.

Top Bottom