• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Dahbomb

Anyone else notice that there are no loading screens in this game (at least on pc, is that true for consoles as well?)? I think it was Brad from GB that brought up the theory that they could be hiding it with all those squeeze through small spaces sections. Really hoping we get some single player dlc for this, beat it earlier today and I want moar
Yea there isn't any loading in the game, its hidden during those crawling throgh tight spaces or slow walk cinematic sequences. It works well enough, certainly better than the screen fading to black with a loading screen. The whole experience of TR is very seemless and you feel interconnectivity in all the areas, another plus point over UC.

Dead

well not really...yet
lol there are several areas in shantytown where I just wish I could do an ass creed leap of faith.

Varna

Yea there isn't any loading in the game, its hidden during those crawling throgh tight spaces or slow walk cinematic sequences. It works well enough, certainly better than the screen fading to black with a loading screen. The whole experience of TR is very seemless and you feel interconnectivity in all the areas, another plus point over UC.

That's pretty neat. I was getting kind of pissed how every time I entered one of those areas Lara would light up the torch and start walking really slow.

TripOpt55

I ran into a gamebreaking glitch earlier. I was crushed. But the internet seemed to have a solution by sort of glitching by the spot. Phew. As much as I love this game I was not ready to replay like 60% of it right now.

The more I play the more I like this game. Slowly climbing up my favorite games this gen list. There are some things as a fan of the series I wish were different, but this is such a well-made fun game, that I just can't help but enjoy it a ton. Now a sequel to this, that includes some more of the series stuff I am missing here? That could be all-time great game.

Derrick01

Banned
Finished it. I thought people were saying the game keeps up in the last stages instead of falling flat like most do now? That final area wasn't exactly what I was expecting after reading comments like that.

I'll write about it tomorrow since it's almost 2am here. Too tired to do it now.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
From someone who hasn't really followed the game prerelease I was worried when I first saw ingame that cover was automatic, but this is one of the rare times the game seems fine with it. Also going to echo the above comments on sand being godlike.

xJavonta

Banned
Whoever designed the
tree parachuting part needs to be fired. Seriously, how the fuck do you steer that shit? I had a lot of fun with the game up until this point, it's THAT fucking stupid.

antitrop

Whoever designed the tree parachuting part needs to be fired. Seriously, how the fuck do you steer that shit? I had a lot of fun with the game up until this point, it's THAT fucking stupid.
Left and right, man... I didn't die once. I failed the QTE the first time, though.

Dahbomb

Finished it. I thought people were saying the game keeps up in the last stages instead of falling flat like most do now? That final area wasn't exactly what I was expecting after reading comments like that.

I'll write about it tomorrow since it's almost 2am here. Too tired to do it now.
Most people have said the ending and end boss fight were underwhelming. The comments that you might be referring to are the segments right after Shanty Town which were a step up.

Just started playing this, loving it so far! It's cool there's RE4 style death scenes. Not as many quick time events which is good as well. A lot of rain, but it works so well.

xJavonta

Banned
Left and right, man... I didn't die once. I failed the QTE the first time, though.
That's exactly what I've been doing. I've tried only the left analog, only the right analog, both analogs, the triggers, the analogs AND the triggers and I just can't seem to pass it without running into a fucking tree

This is dumb, fuck

That's exactly what I've been doing. I've tried only the left analog, only the right analog, both analogs, the triggers, the analogs AND the triggers and I just can't seem to pass it without running into a fucking tree

This is dumb, fuck

So why was that scene used as promotional material?
It's like people who saw that bought the game (at least casuals) and realized it is frustrating as heck.

antitrop

I had an epic fail with the second tomb puzzle, but I don't see how you can't pass the parachute section in less than 2-3 tries.

xJavonta

Banned
I don't know. I've watched that E3 footage too to figure out if I'm following the wrong path or something and nope, same path. Hell, I actually do better than the demo guy up until the very last part of it where something seems to prevent me from moving to the left, despite my multiple efforts.

I'm seriously about to say fuck this game, after praising it so much until this part. Ugh.

This is dumb, fuck

I just used the left analog stick. Didn't have any issues.

Whoever designed the
tree parachuting part needs to be fired. Seriously, how the fuck do you steer that shit? I had a lot of fun with the game up until this point, it's THAT fucking stupid.
Yeah I died the most times in that part,
the steering takes one or two seconds to respond.
But if it were for that part, I wouldn't have known how brutal the death animations can be, been letting Lara die a lot more after that, just to see the various death animations.

xJavonta

Banned
I just used the left analog stick. Didn't have any issues.
When I use the left analog only, I don't even move. Her body tilts, but she doesn't actually move left or right. Just forward into a goddamn tree.

Yeah I died the most times in that part,
the steering takes one or two seconds to respond.
But if it were for that part, I wouldn't have known how brutal the death animations can be, been letting Lara die a lot more just to see the various death animations.
I've died more in this one section than I have throughout the rest of the game combined. And I have it on hard.

Dahbomb

It's like people who saw that bought the game (at least casuals) and realized it is frustrating as heck.
It should be noted that the PR for this game has been absolute garbage. I could've shown footage of some random exploration and some dodge combat which would've made the game look more appealing to the core gamers. Hell there were a couple of cinematic scripted events that I never saw in the promos but I thought "now this would fit in well with a trailer".

Most of my experience with the PR on the game is watching a bunch of scripted QTE events and basic ass combat from earlier missions. Some of the finer things in the game were very lightly touched upon.

Neverfade

Am I missing something? Couple hours in, just saw
Father Mathias
(person for those scared to highlight) for the first time.

I'm hanging by my hands and it's prompting me to move left and right. I've tried all kinda of tempos and I'm just looking like a damn fool kicking my legs about. Is there anything special to this or do I just need to keep brute forcing it until I find the rhythm?

Dahbomb

I don't know. I've watched that E3 footage too to figure out if I'm following the wrong path or something and nope, same path. Hell, I actually do better than the demo guy up until the very last part of it where something seems to prevent me from moving to the left, despite my multiple efforts.

I'm seriously about to say fuck this game, after praising it so much until this part. Ugh.
Don't worry man I felt like you did during the wolf cave QTE.

My advice is don't mash or move the stick too hard.

antitrop

Am I missing something? Couple hours in, just saw
Father Mathias
(person for those scared to highlight) for the first time.

I'm hanging by my hands and it's prompting me to move left and right. I've tried all kinda of tempos and I'm just looking like a damn fool kicking my legs about. Is there anything special to this or do I just need to keep brute forcing it until I find the rhythm?
Once you get to the apex of the swing, press the stick in the opposite direction.

Does the game open up a bit more as you progress? I'm about and hour and a half into the game (21%) and I feel like I'm just being pushed along in a straight line.

I'll try another controller. This is actually my best controller too so I'd be shocked to see my luck change if I swap it out.

Was there an update for this game at all? I haven't connected my Xbox to live since I got the game so I missed out on any title updates, maybe there's a fix or something.

Neither of us could really tell you, we are both playing on PC. I am using an Xbox controller though.

antitrop

I used an Xbox 360 controller on PC. The only way to control the parachute section is to press left or right on the left analog stick.

It's not the game's fault, dude.

Does the game open up a bit more as you progress? I'm about and hour and a half into the game (21%) and I feel like I'm just being pushed along in a straight line.
I just finished one area that was pretty damn huge. Every time I thought I had the whole thing in view, I'd find another path that provided a better view and it just kept getting wider.

I love the environments in this game - just wish they included optionally difficult platforming for hidden rewards or to get a better drop on enemies or better utilize the environment so as to avoid combat or maintain stealth.

There *is* plenty of platforming, but none of it has any difficulty. Same with the enemies. The QTEs are the game's only real threats and challenge, at least so far.

antitrop

HOLY SHIT FINALLY FUCK

Now I can get back to enjoying the game

ibpMQkmLAHbWt5.gif

Poona

That is brilliant

Her name might have been Lara in the past but based on the dialogue it's most certainly Laura.

I'm still hearing Lara, and that is still her name according to all the official documentation everywhere.

Lara has an arrrrr sound in the middle or ahhhh (sounds like car or tar) whilst Laura/Lora sounds like lorr ( sounds like four/paw).

Example is at 7.10 in the video: http://youtu.be/2Cc4zTSWTpg ( not the greatest pick but couldn't find a better one without looking through every tomb raider video)

The others in the games are still calling her Lara just as in previous titles.

xJavonta

Banned
Sort of irrelevant question, how is Lara pronounced?

Is it "LAH-ruh" or " LOW-ruh" or other?
I think it's the former. At least that's how I say it. I haven't paid much attention to how they pronounce it during the game since most of the time I hear them refer to her as
"the girl"

Haha

I was seriously going to post a video of what kept happening to me to see if anyone could help me out. It was that bad.

It won't ever turn into full on open world, but it does have some pretty expansive open area for you to explore, especially after you have acquired certain gadgets/equipment that allow you to access areas where you couldn't get to before. An hour and a half is still quite early into the game, give it time.

antitrop

Shanty Town is rather fun to explore and collect items. I think it has the best platforming of the game so far, as well as the heaviest concentration of enemies to kill.

Which is great, because killing enemies in this game is fantastic and enjoyable.

TripOpt55

HOLY SHIT FINALLY FUCK

Now I can get back to enjoying the game

I also had trouble with this part. Probably died like five times. I don't think I realized how much you could move back and forth, so I was only moving a little bit and try to avoid trees and just getting stabbed over and over. I don't know why I didn't just hold left longer or something. Maybe I was panicking.

xJavonta

Banned
Kind of off topic, but does anyone know what res the X360 version of the game is rendering at? It looks better than I thought it would. Although it looks like it could use some AA

xJavonta

Banned
I also had trouble with this part. Probably died like five times. I don't think I realized how much you could move back and forth, so I was only moving a little bit and try to avoid trees and just getting stabbed over and over. I don't know why I didn't just hold left longer or something. Maybe I was panicking.
I'm not sure what my problem was. I tried slightly moving it and pushing the stick all the way and neither one helped. I'm just glad it's over lol

1280x720 (post-AA).
Ahh okay, thanks. Need to pick it up for PC eventually because it probably looks stunning at 1080p or 1440p with some form of AA cranked up at 60 fps

Trey

Shanty Town is rather fun to explore and collect items. I think it has the best platforming of the game so far, as well as the heaviest concentration of enemies to kill.

Which is great, because killing enemies in this game is fantastic and enjoyable.

The combat needs more variety. At least ninety percent of my kills were bow headshots. Sometimes I pop an explosive barrel or attempt to rope yank enemies off ledges, just to break the monotony.

The most fun I have with the game is shooting enemies in the kneecaps and ending them with an axe to the face. Wish the enemies weren't so stupid, however.

Laura becomes
quite the maniacal murderer as the game goes on. It definitely goes passed "doing what she has to do to survive" level. "You don't have to do this" --> a hundred or so dead savages later --> "I'm coming for you all!" Damn, girl.

baphomet

Is the in-game timer broken? I've logged at least 3 hours into it and the timer says I've been playing for 28 minutes.

The
river of blood
. Holy shit.
Love that part also.
Was it a homage to the movie The Descent? Because that scene looks exactly like this and this.

Laura becomes
quite the maniacal murderer as the game goes on. It definitely goes passed "doing what she has to do to survive" level. "You don't have to do this" --> a hundred or so dead savages later --> "I'm coming for you all!" Damn, girl.
I don't know about that, I would say it's justified, after seeing what they did to her friends and herself, the cult has done some pretty extreme stuff, it's kill or be killed.

Top Bottom