• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Skilletor

Past...two hours of gameplay have been pretty great. From the time I got rope arrows to Shanty Town (which is cool because of its verticality, to me). Aside from the framerate in this area. :/

I've had a solid 60fps, but this feels considerably lower.

The wave of enemies in Shanty town with only the bow and arrow...felt good, man. That's what I'm talking about. Good stuff.

Whitmen reminds me of this guy from Breaking Bad.
image.jpg

Spazznid

Past...two hours of gameplay have been pretty great. From the time I got rope arrows to Shanty Town (which is cool because of its verticality, to me). Aside from the framerate in this area. :/

I've had a solid 60fps, but this feels considerably lower.

The wave of enemies in Shanty town with only the bow and arrow...felt good, man. That's what I'm talking about. Good stuff.

This man gets it. The combat in this game can get intense if you keep moving. I like to play aggressive and recessive. I jump in, melee, shoot, and slide out. Maybe pop a cap or two when retreating or defending and repeat. I hope they either add a challenge/horde mode, or add one to the sequel. Improving the AI as well would make TR2 great.

L00P

Started using the mouse+kb combo because I can't aim for shit when I used the xbox pad and kept dying. I don't think I'll play mulitplayer using the controller

I'm still hearing Lara, and that is still her name according to all the official documentation everywhere.

Lara has an arrrrr sound in the middle or ahhhh (sounds like car or tar) whilst Laura/Lora sounds like lorr ( sounds like four/paw).

Example is at 7.10 in the video: http://youtu.be/2Cc4zTSWTpg ( not the greatest pick but couldn't find a better one without looking through every tomb raider video)

The others in the games are still calling her Lara just as in previous titles.

Bro....I was joking. This kind of made me sad for you

G-Fex

It’s okay.....everyone already knows I was right and you were wrong. Do you want your crow rare, medium-rare or well done? I've also got barbeque sauce or tomato sauce.

Tricky I want you to know I'll always hate you. And have done so since I entered these threads.

Cheska

I know a lot of people made fun of the fact that the PR was essentially about making you feel you needed to "protect Lara", but those are actually my feelings while playing the game. They made Lara into a very likeable character and this really is shaping up to be my favorite Tomb Raider. Sure, it's lacking some memorable staples for the series, but I can't say I miss the spider presence :)

Also, Tricky I think a lot of people owe you an apology for constantly putting you down for your hype and threads about the game. Especially some of the folks who are now posting in this thread about liking the game. C'mon guys, be the bigger person!

tumblr_m9whnsarBP1remnbzo1_r1_500.gif

I feel that not enough was done with the gondolas. That was a great moment of wonder, and it would have been great to explore them without the trappings of a set piece. Perhaps there was more to that portion during production and was cut.

I am perplexed at the negative comments about the perk systems and combat. I feel that the more skillsets I unlocked, the more and more it encouraged me to experiment with combat. Rather than turtling behind cover, I was in the fray taking out bow and sword enemies up close with dodge counters and knee+finisher combos, all the while switching to the rifle for gun-wielding priority targets.

There's some music that plays
when you're walking on your way out of the tomb just before the survivors are attacked at the beach

That was really nice. The game has some pretty nice music in places but it's hard to appreciate it what with the almost continuous sensory assault going on.

I can't tell if your being serious or not, but if you are, why am I supposed to care?
Your kinda weird.

ie4VDEHaOakDU.gif

dokish

Banned
finished it.it is not a good game and is just lacking in almost all fronts.

Game really just fall apart halfway through,the story is really C-grade and gameplay kept the boring repetitive nature of it and didn't change it, dudes were there just for me to harvest them there was no challenge,really poor AI and difficulty and the lack of satisfaction for everything you do ,and what were they thinking with the entire ending part?

need to sleep now, will write my full final thoughts on it when I wake up.

GAF is really weird place.

I think most of people's mind are so contaminated with the "review culture" and all this words like "gameplay", "technical issues", "story this, story that" and people actually forgot to tell about how they FEEL playing the game.

Tomb Raider is just like Kingdoms of Amalur to me. The best game of the year so far, and looks that will keep this position.

I'm a great fan of horror movies, and I felt like in one playing this (kinda. It have that mistery vibe, kinda of unpredictable, whos gonna die next, etc). I somehow got involved with the characters, even though they don't have so much development. People can trash the story, but not if they are fan of Uncharted, because, well, let's say they are equivalent, and Tomb Raider handled MUCH BETTER the story than Uncharted.

I think I'm almost finishing the game.
Whitman just got killed by samurais
. And I can't stop playing it. I've been playing for 6 maybe 7 hours straight. The environments are gorgeous and everything I remind myself just how good it FEELS to play this game. The combat runs smoothly (not FPS-wise, like eveybody loves to talk, but you enjoy yourself) and the pacing is perfect. Has a lot of flaws, but what freaking reboot has ever been done, and had such success? Capcom is still trying to figure out what to do with fucking Resident Evil, and S-E with Final Fnatasy... well... you know.

What people were expecting of Tomb Raider? It does nothing "new" per se, but what it does, it does well (except the upgrade/xp part, lol).

Is good to see Lara is back and that they finally got it right.

I want Tomb Raider 2 now! Give us the second Lara adventure.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've stumbled upon an interesting bug. There's a bird nest located where the Lara marker is on this map, which contains eggs needed for the Egg Poacher area challenge:

But touching the side that faces the slant of the roof results in instant death:

B-Dex

The multi is OK but the immense grind for the BRONZE trophy for getting max prestige 3 and lvl 58 is a joke. Matches take forever to start. There is some serious lag or weird server issues players tend to glitch around and everyone is super jumpy.

I really want to platinum this but the multi is such a chore.

PaulloDEC

My favourite thing about the game so far is the way it only installs to the 79% point (from my brand-new DVD copy) and then forces me to download the remaining 2gb.

I'm in Australia for Pete's sake. Dreadful speeds and tiny data limits are basically a way of life.

The multi is OK but the immense grind for the BRONZE trophy for getting max prestige 3 and lvl 58 is a joke. Matches take forever to start. There is some serious lag or weird server issues players tend to glitch around and everyone is super jumpy.

I really want to platinum this but the multi is such a chore.
Glad I'm not the only one with this problem, been seeing a lot of teleportation and shooting at people who aren't there. I actually found setting up traps and successfully chasing someone into setting it off quite fun, shame about the lag though.

Is everyone experiencing lag in the multiplayer or are we just an isolated few? (Playing on the PS3)

daninthemix

Can those of you who are far in to the game give me an accurate idea of how much time is spent in combat? Trying to ascertain if my wife will enjoy the game - she thinks she will and the IGN review suggested there wasn't too much combat, but then I watched a YouTube video that suggested otherwise.

Can those of you who are far in to the game give me an accurate idea of how much time is spent in combat? Trying to ascertain if my wife will enjoy the game - she thinks she will and the IGN review suggested there wasn't too much combat, but then I watched a YouTube video that suggested otherwise.

Depends how much collecting you do. If you do not bother with that there is a fair bit of it especially after half way. If that is a turn off there isn't a lot else to do and she wouldn't probably like it.

It downloaded for me overnight. 57 megs.

Thanks. I'll see if I can get it to trigger then.

I finished the game yesterday and there's a fair amount of combat all told. There's enough that it's not going to be worth putting up with if you don't enjoy it.

Also, Tricky I think a lot of people owe you an apology for constantly putting you down for your hype and threads about the game. Especially some of the folks who are now posting in this thread about liking the game. C'mon guys, be the bigger person!

tumblr_m9whnsarBP1remnbzo1_r1_500.gif

Bless you.

Just finished the
solarii fortress l
. Holy Fucking set piece batman!

YESSSSSSS! My reaction to that part from this thread a few days ago:

HOLY SHIT at the whole
temple burning sequence! O_O

ibchyd4XZAtqoK.gif

vladdamad

Have to say, as someone for whom Tomb Raider: Anniversary is one of the greatest games of all time, I was really skeptical of this reboot's direction. Although all the praise its getting for atmosphere is making me want to reconsider. It's a shame it's coming out in the same month as God of War and Bioshock. Is there anything in this game an original fan of the franchise will enjoy or should I just go into it pretending it's a different IP?

Figured out why I got no patch.

Nixxes said:
*Edit*

We have removed this patch again due to issues people are reporting with their profiles being reported as corrupt after installing the patch. This will be investigated before the patch is put live again.

RyudBoy

Damn there are moments in the game that look like it came straight out of that Star Wars 1313 preview.

Looks amazing on PC.

It's a lot more combat heavy than the previous Tomb Raider games, Lara does a lot of killing in this. If your wife doesn't want combat, has she tried Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light? More puzzle solving, less combat, it's a great game and you guys can play co-op.

Top Bottom