• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Finished it

Game started as an 6/10, rose up to an end, second half dragged it down to a 7/10(same grade I'd give Spec Ops, DmC, and UC1, for comparison's sake).

In the second half of the game, you see the seams a bit more, and you're not as impressed by everything. The combat is rarely challenging, and the wave format boring. You start to notice how automated everything is, from the press forward set pieces to the platforming where Lara will magically float just that far through the air to make a miraculous grab. This might not bother you so much if you cared about ANY of the characters outside Lara even a little bit, but you don't. At ALL. You pick up things not because you're interested or you had to do some maneuvering around the clever level design to find it...you just...pick them up. Because they're on the ground, and they're shiny. And there's a LOT of mundane collecting if mundane collecting just turns you on, but after awhile it's kinda like lots of tiny pieces of candy spread across the entire game. Eventually you just get sick of the damn things and want something meatier, which the game never provides. Don't look to the optimal tombs for that satisfaction either; I've rarely been stumped for a minute on these one room puzzles, and the reward isn't even worth the trouble to do them. Oooh, more XP and savage, not like the game doesn't throw that at you at every interval.

The 2nd half went just too long(then we got entire rushed ending section) and were really boring because how repetitive they were, at least at the beginning you have to do new stuff to you,it really needed to be shorter,they should've cut many things(hell maybe even the entire open areas,go on more liner and focused experience).

Sadly that was not the only problem here.

lucius

I having great fun just going around collecting all the Ghost Hunter Totems in 1st area, took me like an hour tried not to use Lara's Instinct as much as possible, but the last one I had trouble finding.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone put any time into multiplayer? I played about an hour last night and I already mentioned this here but it's pretty fun. It's really simple in the sense that there aren't killstreaks and sprinting knifers and crazy ass explosions happening all the time, but that's just the way I like my multiplayer. Most multiplayer games these days are all about being loud and bombastic and giving you a ton of crap to unlock, so I liked that Tomb Raider slows it down and brings it back to the basics of using your gun to shoot other people.

I guess the best thing I can say about it is that I don't get pissed at the game when I die, unlike COD.

You have to close both flaps at the same time. Go to the lift, wait for the first flap to open, raise the lift, and you should have the timing right for the lift to be pushed over when the 2nd flap opens.

this is correct. to elaborate:
close the window completely. run over to the crank for the platform, BUT WAIT. you will hear just 1 of the flaps from the window open. crank now and hop on. now the full window will open giving you a bigger boost, hop onto the wall at the peak

antitrop

If your timing is absolutely perfect you can complete that puzzle without having to
wait for the first window flap to open.

That's how I completed it, it was about 100x more difficult than the intended method of completion.

Working. Stuff. Why, was my presence expected somewhere? ;)

Tomb Raider craziness, God of War reviews your the hero we don't deserve bro but...blah blah you get it.

Anyone put any time into multiplayer? I played about an hour last night and I already mentioned this here but it's pretty fun. It's really simple in the sense that there aren't killstreaks and sprinting knifers and crazy ass explosions happening all the time, but that's just the way I like my multiplayer. Most multiplayer games these days are all about being loud and bombastic and giving you a ton of crap to unlock, so I liked that Tomb Raider slows it down and brings it back to the basics of using your gun to shoot other people.

I guess the best thing I can say about it is that I don't get pissed at the game when I die, unlike COD.

That should be on the back of the box.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
That should be on the back of the box.

Haha, that's actually a big deal for me. I can't stand most multiplayer games because I feel like I'm dying due to some cheap tactic that someone is exploiting and that frustrates me. The multiplayer in this game is so stripped down to its basic essentials that it's like a breath of fresh air.

Amir0x

Banned
Tomb Raider craziness, God of War reviews your the hero we don't deserve bro but...blah blah you get it.

Haha, well I figured everyone already heard my Tomb Raider opinion in this topic, unless I finish the product it's not going to be much new to add...

As for God of War, well, we'll see. I generally speaking don't like going into the review topic mix because I don't really give me weight to reviews on anything :p

RedSwirl

If I were in Lara's position, I would've taken one of those guys' coats a long time ago. She seems to be in real danger of freezing a lot of the time in this game.

Skilletor

Haha, well I figured everyone already heard my Tomb Raider opinion in this topic, unless I finish the product it's not going to be much new to add...

As for God of War, well, we'll see. I generally speaking don't like going into the review topic mix because I don't really give me weight to reviews on anything :p

It's exactly what we'd thought it be. There have been some open areas that are pretty cool to hop around in, but those are few and far between and, as somebody said earlier, it's hardly platforming. It may as well be as automatic as Assassin's Creed for the amount of effort involved on the part of the player.

I made the mistake of starting Fallout New Vegas and Dishonoured immediately after finishing Tomb Raider. Such ugly games in comparison, lol.

Amir0x

Banned
It's exactly what we'd thought it be. There have been some open areas that are pretty cool to hop around in, but those are few and far between and, as somebody said earlier, it's hardly platforming. It may as well be as automatic as Assassin's Creed for the amount of effort involved on the part of the player.

I have no doubt really. I played the demo a long time ago and read so many review/preview... really, they'd have to have been hiding something on an epic scale for us to be wrong.

I poured one out for Tomb Raider a while ago; we knew TR was dead once and for all after in-depth details started coming out about this 'experiment' :(

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So which one seems to be the better one of the console version?

The PS3 version is sharper, the 360 version has better anti-aliasing. I have the PS3 version and I really like the sharpness personally. You're probably better off waiting for the Digital Foundry comparison if you can.

I made the mistake of starting Fallout New Vegas and Dishonoured immediately after finishing Tomb Raider. Such ugly games in comparison, lol.

LOL New Vegas is an ugly ass game, but Dishonored at least has a really interesting art style going for it.

Derrick01

Banned

Then you realized they have incredibly superior gameplay and story/writing (in new vegas' case at least) and enjoyed them anyway.

Dave_6

I've heard there's very little difference between the two. It all boils down to which controller you prefer.

The PS3 version is sharper, the 360 version has better anti-aliasing. I have the PS3 version and I really like the sharpness personally. You're probably better off waiting for the Digital Foundry comparison if you can.

Thanks. Hopefully DF will have their comparison up pretty soon.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

I modded the shit out of New Vegas and it was still ugly as hell.

Then you realized they have incredibly superior gameplay and story/writing (in new vegas' case at least) and enjoyed them anyway.

How much better is the combat AI compared to Tomb Raider.

finished this up a few minutes ago, and bravo Crystal D. had fun with it and looks amazing

it helped to have sli

worth the $36 USD from GmG(with coupon) PC users!

RedSwirl

Technically, this game actually looks alright on 360. From this and Hitman I can see that Square Enix still knows how to make games look respectable (probably more than respectable) on consoles while making great PC ports. The only obvious "flaw" that get's to me is the obvious resolution and shitty textures.

Anyway, I'm probably gonna do a bit more exploring until the game fully opens up (I've just finished the first tomb, how long until all the mechanics open up?), then it'll probably be back to Ni No Kuni until a sub-$20 Steam sale pops up. Hitman went down to $15 once two months after the game came out.

Spazznid

Is anyone else able to download the bonus movies? Also I heard the costumes were available for dlc, but Steam shows nothing. When I try to dl the videos, it says coming soon...

CyReN

Are there any achievements for this game? I'm up to the part where
I climb the radio tower
and I got 0 so far. Not that I'm a gamerscore nut just thought it was funny.

Derrick01

Banned
How does Fallout: New Vegas have incredibly superior gameplay?

Well the RPG stuff speaks for itself, since it's an actual RPG and puts effort into balancing some stuff. Crafting is actually useful instead of superficial weapon mods, although New Vegas has weapon mods too and they actually improve weapons in a notable way. Different ammo types for different kinds of enemies like armored enemies or ammo that increases spread in shotguns for multiple enemies (as in DT, damage threshold, actually means something in the game). Skills actually play a part in the dialog in dozens of different situations. It's not even close, you're talking about the RPG masters and a studio/game that shallowly copies 8 other games.

Something like the modern Fallout games are kinda a quantity over quality thing on the visual front. "Yeah these characters are ugly, environments kinda Xbox 1 tier, animations kinda spotty and glitchy, but look how big the game it is!" If you're a sucker for big open worlds, I can see the appeal. You can shoot NPCs in the balls and the game will keep going, I respect that shit

DukeBobby

Well the RPG stuff speaks for itself, since it's an actual RPG and puts effort into balancing some stuff. Crafting is actually useful instead of superficial weapon mods, although New Vegas has weapon mods too and they actually improve weapons in a notable way. Different ammo types for different kinds of enemies like armored enemies or ammo that increases spread in shotguns for multiple enemies (as in DT, damage threshold, actually means something in the game). Skills actually play a part in the dialog in dozens of different situations. It's not even close, you're talking about the RPG masters and a studio/game that shallowly copies 8 other games.

Most of that was in Fallout 3, but you seem to hate that game. Does the story/writing really make New Vegas that much better?

And yes, I have played both and enjoyed them. I just do not see what makes New Vegas such an amazing game.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I really do wonder what the reactions would be towards this game if it wasn't so damn pretty.

I think this game's atmosphere is a large part of its charm. If the world weren't so pretty and moody I wouldn't bother trying to collect all the various artifacts and documents.

Derrick01

Banned
Most of that was in Fallout 3, but you seem to hate that game. Does the story/writing really make New Vegas that much better?

No most of what I listed (and listed in other threads) was not in Fallout 3. I've had that debate before in the vs. threads for that series.

Varna

How does Fallout: New Vegas have incredibly superior gameplay?

No QTEs.
No annoying "press forward to win" set-pieces.
Actual exploration with real helpful rewards.
Lots and lots of customization.
Branching paths, multiple endings actually based on things you do.
Primary needs system (something TR should have absolutely had).
Challenging encounters (maybe a bit too janky at times, but at least you have to use your brain).
Actual crafting and ammunition making system (another thing TR should have ripped off).

EDIT: Doh, Derrick01 had it covered. :(

Vexxan

Finished the game today on PC, my computer is pretty new so I could max it all except for the hair tech which seriously killed my fps. The graphics are fantastic, overall I enjoyed most of the game but it lacks a proper soundtrack because like people are mentioning there aren't really any memorable songs or tracks that I can recall. I was hoping to see more interesting hidden tombs but they were all way too simple and short. I'm have over 80% completion so I might try to find all collectibles but we'll see. Got the game off GMG with coupons and credits during their sale which got me the game for $33 I think which I think was totally worth it.

Ricker

Going through the Conan O'Brien section now...I'm not laughing anymore,first awful section in the game,taking a break for supper.

Something like the modern Fallout games are kinda a quantity over quality thing on the visual front. "Yeah these characters are ugly, environments kinda Xbox 1 tier, animations kinda spotty and glitchy, but look how big the game it is!" If you're a sucker for big open worlds, I can see the appeal. You can shoot NPCs in the balls and the game will keep going, I respect that shit

I don't know why I've been laughing for almost a minute at this

Trin

I think this game's atmosphere is a large part of its charm. If the world weren't so pretty and moody I wouldn't bother trying to collect all the various artifacts and documents.

Agreed. Normally I skip over that kind of gameplay padding, but in this case it was an added bonus to a world I already wanted to explore.

Top Bottom