• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Sanctuary

So does anyone know what's up with the buggy suspened lantern
(that you use the Bat-Grapple on)
that's
in the village at: 712456/3416146?
You simply cannot grab it, no matter what, even though your reticle says it's just like any other lantern.

Dead

well not really...yet
The
Solaris Fortress
mission was garbage. Dudebro Michael Bay COD style mission to the max. I think that mission alone had about 60% of the EXPLOSIONS of the entire game thus far.

The
Geothermal Caves
were nice though.

I would've said so too until I reached
Solaris Fortress
. No way can you run n slash against 20 armed men sitting behind cover and 3 shotting you even during your evade or tossing dynamites and shit. Before this mission I had like 2-3 combat deaths but after this I had like 10+ deaths all within like 2 combat set pieces. You had to spam the grenade launcher in that area because enemy formations were so god damn dense.

I want to see the receipts on the people who said they beat Tomb Raider on Hard only dying 3 times. Not saying the game is hard but you would've gotten extremely lucky not dying in the game where one automatic fire round usually kills you.

Its entirely doable, just have to keep moving and have that shotgun ready. Dodge + arrow in the knee helps as well.

Not gonna say I did it in one try tho. lol

Is this game what Uncharted is like? I never owned a PS3, so I never got any exposure to that series. But Tomb Raider sounds a lot like I've heard it described -- lotsa cover shooting, lotsa big scripted setpieces in exotic locales.

I doubt TR is the first game to do it, but GOD DAMN it sure is nice having a cover system that just intuitively works. No cumbersome bullshit like "Press A to get into cover, Press B to get out of cover, Press X to to hop over cover." You don't get stuck to cover either.....you just move in and out of it at will. The designers trusted you to know what the hell you're doing, and that's pretty nice.

Are there other games with a cover system that is this easy and fluid? I'd probably play more shooters if there were.

I don't think TR plays even remotely close to Uncharted. It borrows some aspects of the UC series but they aren't even in the same family imo. TR feels more like a metroidvania, mixed with some Alan Wake and Lost while Uncharted feels like Indiana Jones.

People keep trying to shoe horn them into the same box but I think outside of following the basic blueprint of ND's formula they are nothing alike. Which is a good thing.

Dahbomb

C'mon mang, spoiler tag specific stuff. Ya know, for those people that don't like spoilers.
Re-quote me, I spoiler tagged some stuff.

Its entirely doable, just have to keep moving and have that shotgun ready. Dodge + arrow in the knee helps as well.

Not gonna say I did it in one try tho.
I am not saying it's impossible or even that hard but it's not "oh I beat the game dying only 3 times" easy. And Shotgun is fucking garbage for running n gunning because it does no damage outside of 3 feet. You can't run n gun against 5 well positioned enemies with automatic rifles hiding behind cover, you are bound to get flanked and kill... no dodge can save you there. Your best way to beat that area is to play it like a standard TPS... stay in cover, play it safe, use grenades against enemies behind cover and shoot the ones trying to get close.

Dead

well not really...yet
I don't think TR plays even remotely close to Uncharted. It borrows some aspects of the UC series but they aren't even in the same family imo. TR feels more like a metroidvania, mixed with some Alan Wake and Lost while Uncharted feels like Indiana Jones.

People keep trying to shoe horn them into the same box but I think outside of following the basic blueprint of ND's formula they are nothing alike. Which is a good thing.
Its not even pure metroidvania, but it has elements, and I can see the Alan Wake comparison as well.

In the end, I feel like it kind of ended up being its own beast. Yeah you can tell where it takes most of its influences from, but the final product mixes them all really well, and flows extremely natural. None of it really feels out place and it does feel like its own thing in the end. Not quite like Uncharted or anything else. Claims of it a pure copy/paste job are wholesale exaggerations I feel.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
All these crashes really get annoying now. Crashed 4 times in like 1 hour of gameplay, the last one resulting in a blue screen, so I had to restart. Still AMD. Man.

I still love the game a lot.

Edit: Yes, I can see where the Alan Wake comparison is coming from. It's kinda Alan meets Resi4 meets Tomb Raider meets Uncharted meets a fucking lot of other games.

I've died in combat a few times. Sometimes it was from moving *past* a cover spot instead of staying behind it, or even getting shot through cover (happened once), and of course the thrown molotovs and explosives. But that was mostly because I hadn't gotten a handle on scrambling yet.

QTEs have killed me far more often though, that and the scripted run-and-jump scenes. Sometimes you'll replay them and try to take a jump early and die because the game hasn't crumbled the building into the perfect spot yet. I don't think I'll ever understand this kind of design.

I've died in combat a few times. Sometimes it was from moving *past* a cover spot instead of staying behind it, or even getting shot through cover (happened once), and of course the thrown molotovs and explosives. But that was mostly because I hadn't gotten a handle on scrambling yet.

QTEs have killed me far more often though, that and the scripted run-and-jump scenes. Sometimes you'll replay them and try to take a jump early and die because the game hasn't crumbled the building into the perfect spot yet. I don't think I'll ever understand this kind of design.

I have only died from QTEs or from jumping off unreasonably high ledges(Swan dive would have saved me) I haven't died from combat one time.

Its not even pure metroidvania, but it has elements, and I can see the Alan Wake comparison as well.

In the end, I feel like it kind of ended up being its own beast. Yeah you can tell where it takes most of its influences from, but the final product mixes them all really well, and flows extremely natural. None of it really feels out place and it does feel like its own thing in the end. Not quite like Uncharted or anything else. Claims of it a pure copy/paste job are wholesale exaggerations I feel.

Yeah I think they did a good job making it feel completely different.

Right, Uncharted really for the most part is a shooter with a cinematic/adventure like presentation. TR is more of an adventure game, though it has some Uncharted like moments, but still fairly different games.

Right, Uncharted really for the most part is a shooter with a cinematic/adventure like presentation. TR is more of an adventure game, though it has some Uncharted like moments, but still fairly different games.

It would be like comparing UC to Gears. They have similar mechanics at a very fundamental level but they couldn't be more different experiences.

Is it just me or does this game always have FXAA enabled?

When did you try and change it? For me, if I altered the game's settings while playing and applied them, the changes didn't take effect until I rebooted.

That said, once I did that I was able to ditch FXAA in favour of SMAA injector.

When did you try and change it? For me, if I altered the game's settings while playing and applied them, the changes didn't take effect until I rebooted.

That said, once I did that I was able to ditch FXAA in favour of SMAA injector.

But I noticed the FPS hit instantly, the only thing was, the FXAA blurryness was still present. Are they still using FXAA when you choose SMAA? FXAA+SMAA i mean?

Jarmel

Banned
The dodge is from Alan Wake, the platforming is from Uncharted, the upgrade system is from Arkham. That said, the cover mechanic is entirely their own. The closest example I can think of is DS3 but it actually works here. Also for obvious timing reasons, DS3 could not have been an inspiration for TR.

Derrick01

Banned
It is a bit sad that Lime and others need to defend their right to criticise something. If he didn't articulate why he thinks the way he does it would be one thing, but he did.

I wish more negative posts on forums didn't contain as much venom and were more relaxed, but I don't think the posts in this thread are very guilty of that.

Like I said last night it usually goes like this in a lot of OTs. People who are negative on a game usually get chased out by a few of the superfans who can't handle anyone bashing the game for fear it'll ruin their good vibes...or something like that I guess.

Good criticism that is explained well should never be shouted down. We need more of it now more than ever in this industry.

The dodge is from Alan Wake, the platforming is from Uncharted, the upgrade system is from Arkham. That said, the cover mechanic is entirely their own. The closest example I can think of is DS3 but it actually works here. Also for obvious timing reasons, DS3 could not have been an inspiration for TR.
Army of Two also has the auto-cover without being attached. But its always in your control, as opposed to TR.

Normally I'd have zero problem with this but there was one bad guy that got the drop on me because the game popped me out of cover after a firefight and I thought I was safe. I took two steps to the left and whammo, some machine gunner unloaded on me. There's sometimes a delay between going into and out of "combat mode", but for the most part it works fine.

But I noticed the FPS hit instantly, the only thing was, the FXAA blurryness was still present. Are they still using FXAA when you choose SMAA? FXAA+SMAA i mean?

SMAA isn't selectable in the game. I turned AA off in TR and used SweetFX configurator to set SMAA. The game looked noticeably cleaner so I have to assume FXAA stayed off.

Dead

well not really...yet
The platforming in TR is just far too fluid for me to even bother comparing it to Uncharted.

Platforming in UC basically feels like an obligation and far more rigid as you're guided to the next setpiece. TR lets you kinda just do your thing in the environment you're in

The Alan Wake thing is weird. It's a combination of the way Lara controls and the scenery in some parts. It does actually combine to create an Alan Wake vibe.

Ugh, I'm stuck at the optional tomb where she keeps saying "I need to time this just right" BUT I CAN'T GET IT RIGHT. UGH! I either miss the platform or just jump too early...

Ugh, I'm stuck at the optional tomb where she keeps doing "I need to time this just right" BUT I CAN'T GET IT RIGHT. UGH! I either miss the platform or just jump too early...

Crank the one on the left, run over to the other crank, wait for the bottom doors to blow open, crank the second one, and jump on to the moving platform.

I just did it now.

RagnarokX

Which is? What did you see. I might have missed it.

In the book she is looking at at the end, the main feature is the word "CROATOAN". It's a reference to the lost colony of Roanoke, one of the early American colonies. They settled on an island in North Carolina, and had a rough time. Because of wars, a supply ship wasn't able to get there for 3 years, and when they did, they found the colony completely deserted. The only clue to what happened was the word "CROATOAN" carved into a fort post. Nobody knows what happened to them, but most think they either got killed off by or integrated with the local native tribes.

So it's another island; a much less interesting one.

Jarmel

Banned
The Alan Wake thing is weird. It's a combination of the way Lara controls and the scenery in some parts. It does actually combine to create an Alan Wake vibe.

The animation is also somewhat similar in the way that she sorta ducks and does the sideway twist.

The platforming in TR is just far too fluid for me to even bother comparing it to Uncharted.

Platforming in UC basically feels like an obligation and far more rigid as you're guided to the next setpiece. TR lets you kinda just do your thing in the environment you're in

That's not always the case though. There are plenty of times where the platforming adds to the gunplay such as the ship graveyard in UC3 or the train sequence in UC2.

antitrop

Ugh, I'm stuck at the optional tomb where she keeps saying "I need to time this just right" BUT I CAN'T GET IT RIGHT. UGH! I either miss the platform or just jump too early...
It embarrassingly took me over 20 tries.

Once you open the flaps, run over to the other hot-spot and mash the button once the first window flap opens up, then jump on to the platform and wait for the other windows to open up and blow you over to the ledge you can shimmy on.

Sanctuary

I've now found FOUR quite obvious
grapple points where there's nothing else around for miles, so there's no way that I'm not looking at matching posts for a rope arrow
and I think the bow is simply busted. Not only have I had a problem with a lantern, now I can't even make connections for
climbing

Crank the one on the left, run over to the other crank, wait for the bottom doors to blow open, crank the second one, and jump on to the moving platform.

I just did it now.

So I was doing it before the bottom window opened... still odd that it worked different though? The way I did it was to just crank them both as fast as possible then then I just hung on the moving platform and once all windows opened I pulled her up and jumped on the wall.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

I said before that the game take elements from many games,Unfortunately the execution is not as good as the other games TR getting inspired from.

CD ended with no identity and throwing too many ideas from here and there really impacted the core gameplay of it in a bad way,they didn't perfected any of it and it felt unfocused mess most of the time.

Yeah its definitely better. The only time I like the platforming in UC is when it is combined with the gunplay and you get in these precarious situations like when your on the side of the tanker and such other than that though its pretty throwaway.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
No I'm not. There is no form of gameplay in this game that has any kind of depth to it. The platforming and stealth are automatically handled by the game and the combat is basically duck hunt behind a piece of cover (and sometimes not even that with how bad the AI is, they'll stand out in the open sometimes).

Doesn't your favorite game this Gen consist of talking to people and letting VATS shoot for you?

SteeloDMZ

Banned
I said before that the game take elements from many games,Unfortunately the execution is not as good as the other games TR getting inspired from.

CD ended with no identity and throwing too many ideas from here and there really impacted the core gameplay of it in a bad way,they didn't perfected any of it and it felt unfocused mess most of the time.

What? The elements borrowed from other games are better here like someone else said. Everything that Tomb Raider "borrowed" from Uncharted gameplay wise is more refined.

Dead

well not really...yet

Well

I think TR pretty much improves on everything that it has "borrowed" from other games, and the game never loses its focus and succeeds in crafting its own identity.

Isn't this where someone posts neogaf.gif

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Yeah its definitely better. The only time I like the platforming in UC is when it is combined with the gunplay

Sorry guys but I can't call that "platforming" I just can't not here and not in Uncharted or Enslaved,when there is no skill required this is not real platforming.

I guess people need to return to something like Alice Madness Return or Mirror Edge to remember what platforming is.

Finished it

Game started as an 6/10, rose up to an end, second half dragged it down to a 7/10(same grade I'd give Spec Ops, DmC, and UC1, for comparison's sake).

In the second half of the game, you see the seams a bit more, and you're not as impressed by everything. The combat is rarely challenging, and the wave format boring. You start to notice how automated everything is, from the press forward set pieces to the platforming where Lara will magically float just that far through the air to make a miraculous grab. This might not bother you so much if you cared about ANY of the characters outside Lara even a little bit, but you don't. At ALL. You pick up things not because you're interested or you had to do some maneuvering around the clever level design to find it...you just...pick them up. Because they're on the ground, and they're shiny. And there's a LOT of mundane collecting if mundane collecting just turns you on, but after awhile it's kinda like lots of tiny pieces of candy spread across the entire game. Eventually you just get sick of the damn things and want something meatier, which the game never provides. Don't look to the optimal tombs for that satisfaction either; I've rarely been stumped for a minute on these one room puzzles, and the reward isn't even worth the trouble to do them. Oooh, more XP and savage, not like the game doesn't throw that at you at every interval.

Like DmC before it, it's obvious a lot of time and money went into it. It's a well-produced experience, if not a particularly great one on any front outside the visuals(even the music is completely forgettable). It wears out it's welcome, and your empathy for it's mechanics wears thin. By the time I'm scaling the final fortress and fighting another wave of bad guys, I was just ready for it to be over. And I don't have any kind of incentive to go back and find all the trinkets. Why?

It's decent. A rental. Something if you got for cheap, you can have a good time for a few hours, maybe. It's not something that's gonna show up on my GotY list, but it was ok way to pass the time these past couple days.

Ricker

I feel stupid now,Mountain Village Tomb with the wind and the balancing crate etc etc as me stomped guys...what the dealio here please(spoiler it please)...

Anyone?...went over to Gamefaq and I am doing what it says but it's not working...I left for now.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Just finished Tomb Raider, and it was an excellent game. Other than the weak support cast, there's only one con I really have with this game: music. Like most games nowadays, why is it so forgettable? I can't remember a single song! At least with Uncharted the main theme is pretty memorable, but Lara didn't get one here.

Yeah, but other than that, awesome experience. Tomb Raider felt like Uncharted + Arkham Asylum + Alan Wake rolled into one.

For the next game I want a better cast and more tombs to be raided.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Anyone?...went over to Gamefaq and I am doing what it says but it's not working...I left for now.

You have to close both flaps at the same time. Go to the lift, wait for the first flap to open, raise the lift, and you should have the timing right for the lift to be pushed over when the 2nd flap opens.

Sorry guys but I can't call that "platforming" I just can't not here and not in Uncharted or Enslaved,when there is no skill required this is not real platforming.

I guess people need to return to something like Alice Madness Return or Mirror Edge to remember what platforming is.

No I totally agree. Its jut a term everyone is familiar with. I guess we could call it "traversal"

just finished the game an hour ago and what a ride and it was fun

but........

does Lara get cold? put a sweater on or you'll catch a cold, smh Lara :p

so thats how and why she has two guns, :O

Top Bottom