• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Just redbox it. That's what I did.

Iirc from some old thread, Ami and I live pretty close... I can't find the game in a redbox anywhere around here, not even in the state, as far as I can tell. At least not the PS3 version. So it'd have to be a 360 version and even those seem pretty scarce around here.

Karish

Anyone playing multi? I like the idea of it basically being Uncharted's multi, but the few times I tried to get into a game, basically no one was playing :(

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Going through the Conan O'Brien section now...I'm not laughing anymore,first awful section in the game,taking a break for supper.

there are many awful sections.

the way the game and story went were forcing me to stop playing many times like every hour,this only happened to me with L.A Noire before,not only getting bored but getting very "tired" really quickly,it's really a weird thing I can't explain it.

Yeah, I'd say I'm almost finished.
The game looks nice, there's potential to Lara being a likeable cool character, but the gameplay, the key factor, isn't great.

It feels like there's no meat on the bones, no depth to the combat or any of the other systems, the climbing, collecting, upgrading, all just feel like they're there to fufill tick boxes rather than be interesting in themselves.

Also, the side tombs? 2 room puzzles in which the second room just contains the prize, some xp and a weapon upgrade. Bah.

I want to like this a lot more than I do.

DukeBobby

No QTEs.
No annoying "press forward to win" set-pieces.
Actual exploration with real helpful rewards.
Lots and lots of customization.
Branching paths,]multiple endingsactually based on things you do.
Primary needs system (something TR should have absolutely had).
Challenging encounters(maybe a bit too janky at times, but at least you have to use your brain).
Actual crafting and ammunition making system (another thing TR should have ripped off).

EDIT: Doh, Derrick01 had it covered. :(

I do agree with a lot of this stuff, but the recent Fallout games have such dreadful shooting mechanics, that all of the weapon and ammo customization seems a bit pointless. Spamming VATS in every combat situation (let's face it, aiming down the sights was crap as enemies moved too quickly for it to be of any use) got incredibly boring after a while, to a point where I began to dread fighting some of the bigger enemies, that took an eternity to die. It also removed a lot of the challenge from the game. I could kill an enemy, hide until my VATS refilled, and then do the same thing again. This is not 'using your brain'.

It was no fun at all, and no amount of brilliant writing and great exploration could save that. Same with the Elder scrolls games. I still enjoy the games to an extent, but I do not understand what makes them so brilliant.

Varna

the way the game and story went were forcing me to stop playing many times like every hour,this only happened to me with L.A Noire before,not only getting bored but getting very "tired" really quickly,it's really a weird thing I can't explain it.

Never played L.A Noire... but I'm just thankful it's not as bad as Max Payne 3. Jesus that game was the worst. At least in TR there is a decent amount of exploration time.

I do agree with a lot of this stuff, but the recent Fallout games have such dreadful shooting mechanics, that all of the weapon and ammo customization seems a bit pointless. Spamming VATS in every combat situation (let's face it, aiming down the sights was crap as enemies moved too quickly for it to be of any use) got incredibly boring after a while, to a point where I began to dread fighting some of the bigger enemies, that took an eternity to die. It also removed a lot of the challenge from the game. I could kill an enemy, and hide until my VATS refilled, and then do the same thing again. This is not 'using your brain'.

It was no fun at all, and no amount of brilliant writing and great exploration could save that. Same with the Elder scrolls games. I still enjoy the games to an extent, but I do not understand what makes them so brilliant.

On very hard it's enjoyable. Personally, I'll take clunky challenging combat over a well refined snooze fest any day of the week.

Ricker

What analog stick am I suppose to move in that parachute section,not sure if it's the right or left or a combination of both...

Trin

The tombs are dreadful. Even a toddler could solve them.

And there are so few! When I got the achievement for completing all the tombs, I thought "Really? That's it?"

I was hoping they'd at least throw a few curveball harder ones at the end, they are optional after all. That's what happens when you sacrifice rewarding challenge for accessibility :(

Ricker

You have to close both flaps at the same time. Go to the lift, wait for the first flap to open, raise the lift, and you should have the timing right for the lift to be pushed over when the 2nd flap opens.

this is correct. to elaborate:
close the window completely. run over to the crank for the platform, BUT WAIT. you will hear just 1 of the flaps from the window open. crank now and hop on. now the full window will open giving you a bigger boost, hop onto the wall at the peak

Just the left.

Thanks guys,I will try that if I can get pass this parachute section lol...

Am absolutely adoring the game so far. Just hit thr Shantytown and I got the orienteering skill so I'm fast travelling to previous areas to pick up relics and documents I missed. Love the documents. Great background stuff, often pretty creepy.

Instead of 'A Survivor is Born', they could have easily given this game the tagline 'The Fire Rises'.

Oyashiro

Finished the game in 2 days (yay spring break!) Overall, an awesome game, very enjoyable. I agree with some of the complaints on the page. Weak support cast, second half of the game dragged on, waves upon waves of enemies get boring after a while, random collecting of things isn't super fun. However, I thought the story was decent, gameplay was really fun, graphics were amazing, and I really liked Lara as a character.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really do wonder what the reactions would be towards this game if it wasn't so damn pretty.

This can translate over to uncharted pretty well, too. Some games can get by a lot easier based on visual style, and I'm okay with that considering the work that has to go into it. If you strip away the pretty, that manpower had to go somewhere else, leading to a very different product.

Jarmel

Banned
Felt insulted by one of the puzzles. The one with
gas cans
These optional tombs are jokes.

The worst one has to do with the natural gas vents. It's not even a puzzle. I actually stopped and stared at the screen for a second, due to how idiotic it was.

AEREC

Is fast travel the only way to get to some previous areas? Basically this just like a really linear open world (if that makes sense).

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just completed it, its one of my favorites games I'm continuing ti find stuff as I just enjoy playing it so much
I do wish there was more Tombs but the way the game is set up is almost perfect
And I like how Lara dual wields for the last kill
it was like the last piece fitting in place
Also
did anyone spot where Lara was going too at the end when she said she ain't going home? It looked like Croatia?
Overall I do have a problem, I see its fault
I wanted more Tombs & I wanted more treasures to find
But I can't score it lower then 9/10 because it was sooo good
But CD just needs to listen to the feedback (the good feedback) and make Tomb Raider 2 even better and concentrate on the Tomb Raiding bit, larger Tombs, more puzzles that are actually a challenge, expands the World( fast travel could have a world fast travel and could take us to different countries etc) if the storyline requires it obviously
One location is still ok and worked for this one
Either way I'm looking forward to what CD does next
Lara is back

antitrop

The worst one has to do with the natural gas vents. It's not even a puzzle. I actually stopped and stared at the screen for a second, due to how idiotic it was.
It was so much not a puzzle that I spent longer trying to over analyze how to solve it than it took to solve it.

You literally just have to shoot your bow at a few things and then climb up.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Yeah I think certain exits shut themselves off after completing a Cinematic Action Sequence™.

metroidvania as its finest. :p

this is why I said the game fail with every idea it borrowed from other games.

the open area,the stealth,the survival elements, it just fail at the execution, in all fronts it's flawed and better in other games.

AssCreed and Batman did open world(full open world) and cinematic just as good,here..well CD didn't know what they were doing.

Dahbomb

Spoilers for near end game:
Fight off 30+ samurai enemies in an epic encounter where you are constantly dodging and shooting/instant killing them.

Caps off with the giant Samurai warrior coming. You get hyped up for an epic boss fight.

Cutscene takes over, you don't get to fight boss.

Cinematic action adventure game ladies and gentlemen.

sleepykyo

Fight off 30+ samurai enemies in an epic encounter where you are constantly dodging and shooting/instant killing them.

Caps off with the giant Samurai warrior coming. You get hyped up for an epic boss fight.

At that point I could totally buy into Lara
savaging him with the pickaxe

Spoiler for your spoiler.
You do. Sure enough, Lara finishes him off with pickaxe

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Turn that frown upside down

RagnarokX

Also
did anyone spot where Lara was going too at the end when she said she ain't going home? It looked like Croatia?

It's not Croatia, it's Croatoa; it's about the lost colony of Roanoke. She's going to North Carolina.

Some of the pratfalls she takes in this game are unintentionally hilarious. Nathan Drake would be like, "Damn, she got right up after that one!?"

Spazznid

metroidvania as its finest. :p

this is why I said the game fail with every idea it borrowed from other games.

the open area,the stealth,the survival elements, it just fail at the execution, in all fronts it's flawed and better in other games.

AssCreed and Batman did open world(full open world) and cinematic just as good,here..well CD didn't know what they were doing.

AssCreed and Arkham City were both sequels.

AC 1 and Batman 1 were by no means the greatest openworld games... Also, their level of open world is much different to Tomb Raiders.

Dahbomb

Some of the pratfalls she takes in this game are unintentionally hilarious. Nathan Drake would be like, "Damn, she got right up after that one!?"
Lara Croft is 10x manlier and tougher than Drake. It's not even close.

But these two really need a game together. Match made in heaven. I would play that game... co-op or otherwise.

Spazznid

Lara Croft is 10x manlier and tougher than Drake. It's not even close.

But these two really need a game together. Match made in heaven. I would play that game... co-op or otherwise.

Lara works alone.

Drake wishes he did, but everyone seems to follow him anyways...

cackhyena

Never played L.A Noire... but I'm just thankful it's not as bad as Max Payne 3. Jesus that game was the worst. At least in TR there is a decent amount of exploration time.

On very hard it's enjoyable. Personally, I'll take clunky challenging combat over a well refined snooze fest any day of the week.
Jesus Christ are you insufferable.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

no thinks.

Hopefully this Uncharted-style of games and Drake style of characters go away to the forgotten land of no return as soon as possible.

Dahbomb

no thinks.

Hopefully this Uncharted-style of games and Drake style of characters go away to the forgotten land of no return as soon as possible.
Pretty sure if this game does well we are going to see more automated everything in games.

Tomb Raider didn't do a lot of unique stuff but it did successfully incorporate in AUTOMATIC COVER into a TPS. You can bet your ass people will be copying that shit. Not only that but the game automatically switches your weapon for you if you are low on ammo among other automatic actions like crouching when you need it so no need for a crouch button.

Compared to many AAA games last year that were garbage (RE6, AC3, D3), Tomb Raider is a decent entry in the cinematic action genre. I would rate it around 7-8 right now, I think I have like less than 20 minutes left in the game. I think a sequel has a lot of room for improvement and can instantly remove many of the issues in this game by establishing Lara as a bona fide heroine at the start of the next game. Not that this game doesn't establish it by the time you beat it... Lara's adventures and harrowing sequences make Drake look like an amateur. The girl's got balls of steel.

Top Bottom