• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Sorian

Banned
Well when I've played Alan Wake for the 7 time, I don't think that reason applies for me buddy. ;) How about playing Tomb Raider again for the atmosphere, or insane set pieces? :p

If you've really played Alan Wake 7 times in the short span that it has been out then you are just easily amused and we might as well be flashing a laser pen around for you. The game is good but its not that good, at all. I wouldn't play Tomb Raider again for the atmosphere, if I wanted dangerous island atomosphere, I'd pop in Far Cry 3, it was done better. As for "insane" set pieces, they were only good when they were novel, a replay of these set pieces is boring and really offers nothing.

I'll just throw it in. I don't think I am stating fact, its just opinion, etc. etc.

I haven't replayed a game in five or six years. It's how games are now. What was new in Alan Wake that you don't pick up the first time through? I've only played through it once, but if it's little pieces of paper or whatever (I can't remember), this game has it, too.

I'm not talking about collectibles. I'm talking about seeing story elements with the knowledge of what the "twist" or ending is.

If you've really played Alan Wake 7 times in the short span that it has been out then you are just easily amused and we might as well be flashing a laser pen around for you.

Rather insulting I'd say. As for me and my gaming habits. I play all the new releases, plus go back and play older gamers thank you very much. Multiple times. When a games story, atmosphere or setting truly hits me in a lot of the right ways. There is no limit to how many times I might play it.

Dahbomb

Well at least games like DmC and MGR offer genuine replayability and depth in their game play/mechanics.

The Assault Rifle when you upgrade to it's 3rd form is definitely broke compared to the other weapons. The base AR did little damage and would take up ammo a lot but once it's maxed out you can take on an army.

Andrew.

Banned
100% on everything so far. Just cleaned up Shipwrecked Beach. Gonna finish this mothersucko up tonight.

2nd playthrough will be required for the trophs Chatterbox, the zip line one and Dodge Counter. If you upgrade to Dodge Kill youre fucked basically, which I did like a dumbass.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Well I've just finished this game and I will say that I had a lot of fun but there was quite a few things I think they should correct for the sequel to really make it truly something special. For all intents and purposes the combat is pretty stellar and movement feels great. I enjoyed the exploration areas when they are opened up and there was some pretty solid design around quite a few areas but sadly there was some parts that didn't hold up too well. It was like a sea-saw in terms of good and bad but I had a lot of fun and would say they've got a brilliant foundation for the next game to work upon now. They need to remove the Quick Time Events and the silly XP pop-ups, they seemed very not needed and found it rather silly.

But I had a lot of fun and definitely felt like a Tomb Raider game for me, even with the flaws and jank present, this was well worth the purchase and play through. Loved Lara as a character and excellent voice work. Sound design was bloody marvelous.

8/10, please Crystal remove the quick time events and a few other things and make the exploration much bigger and expanded and have a lot more bigger Tombs for the next sequel and you will truly have something great.

Sorian

Banned
Rather insulting I'd say. As for me and my gaming habits. I play all the new releases, plus go back and play older gamers thank you very much. Multiple times. When a games story, atmosphere or setting truly hits me in a lot of the right ways. There is no limit to how many times I might play it.

My condolences that you felt insulted but, to be fair, if you are arguing that Tomb Raider's story, atmosphere, and setting hit all the right spots then you have a taste for generic mediocracy.

XOMTOR

And I'd much rather have auto grabbing of ledges than having to die over and over because of egregious tank controls.

It doesn't need to be an either-or situation. There's ways to make the platforming more challenging without resorting to tank controls.

First of all, make it so Lara has a fixed max distance she can travel through the air at different gaits (running, jogging, from a standstill). This way, you have to know her limitations and evaluate the environment and actually determine if she can make the leap or not. As it is now, you make a jump and the game automatically makes adjustments and you're drawn toward the ledge. There's some extremely ridiculous jumps that can be made in this game; I know it's a game and all but holy hell, she can clear some crazy gaps. Some of 'em, I thought surely she's gonna plunge to her death but nope.

Second of all, make it so that you actually have to line up your jumps with some degree of accuracy. Currently, you only need to be pointing in the general direction of a platform and she'll gravitate towards it. It's too magnetic. There's no skill required.

My condolences that you felt insulted but, to be fair, if you are arguing that Tomb Raider's story, atmosphere, and setting hit all the right spots then you have a taste for generic mediocracy.

Mothafucka, you have a Yuri Yowell avatar

Your taste in storytelling is set to "anime septic tank" level

Sure ok. My point was that If I had a good time with a game, I will again. Regardless of how some people view what deems a game re-playable or not.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
If you use the Assault Rifle you can literally mop up every single enemy in TR and stay in one spot of cover. You guys are stretching this combat to be something it isn't. AI is also far better in UC. Try playing one part of UC3 like the tanker, the ship graveyard, or the desert like you do TR and let's see how long you last. Your immediately flushed from cover and rushed out of hiding spots. Having a couple guys throw Moltovs and being rushed by ace wielding morons doesn't make the combat good or smart

Having a couple guys throw grenades and being rushed by shotgun wielding morons doesn't make the combat good or smart.

...like I said, I just didn't get that from the game here. I use the assault rifle a lot, but when there's a lot of enemies they throw stuff at you to make you move. I literally do not see how it is possible for you to not have to move, because they frequently toss stuff and molotovs especially burn up the area meaning you have to avoid that cover for a period. That is not too different from uncharted, and the natural act of grenade is to make the player move around. Once you move around, enemies start getting around your position, and you have to take care of them first while being shot at from afar, or try and focus on getting the guys far away while dodging everyone close by. That is fun to me. When I die in TR I don't get mad, but I did a lot in UC3 due to the frustrating nature of the more difficult enemy waves. They felt outright cheap when you have enemies that don't react much to bullets rushing right at you, trying to suck you into the slow melee that is literally a death sentence on high difficulties. Melee is much more viable in TR(and pretty OP, really) which makes me play it more close range. Meaning, more shotgun use, shooting fire rounds into people, and using the bow to pull enemies off of ledges.

I like comparing it to UC2 more, as I felt the combat design was much better there. The stealth stuff getting hated on in TR is understandable, if people also had those same qualms with UC2. The AI, again, does very similar things. Once you are spotted, everyone knows your exact location. In TR, I shot my shotgun to open up a barricade and everyone started shooting at me when I was climbing a wall in the pitch black of the night, which is lame, but also what UC does. I even messed around a lot testing the limits of the AI in Uncharted by playing with an infinite ammo crossbow, which is completely silent. Lo and behold, invisible trigger lines that make the AI come to attention on Drake's exact location. That's lame in both games. UC3, when spotted, just spawns a bunch of enemies in because that game likes tossing inane amounts of shit at you.

I'm not arguing that one isn't harder than the other. The actual enemy types and stuff change it up a lot. But basic battle flow wise, it makes me scurry around pretty constantly, and I find the gunplay to be flexible and fun.

Well at least games like DmC and MGR offer genuine replayability and depth in their game play/mechanics.

The Assault Rifle when you upgrade to it's 3rd form is definitely broke compared to the other weapons. The base AR did little damage and would take up ammo a lot but once it's maxed out you can take on an army.

This may be true. Due to the (random?) nature of the drops I don't have this yet.

Dahbomb

They need to incorporate more platforming mechanics in the next game. Give me a short dash that allows me to jump further. Allow me to jump off walls and wall run slightly (within what's possible for a human). And of course more acrobatic combat, I want to cartwheel and shoot people during it.

We already have a thread for judging people based on their avatar.

Judging by your avatar I am sure you would love this game because it requires no skill!

Sorian

Banned

For someone bashing it, I'm surprised you were a letter off from getting the last name right :p

And yes, my avatar is the one JRPG main character who actually has a set of balls and is willing to kill people in cold blood, sue me.

RagnarokX

Is there really only one puzzle in the main game? That's pretty surprising/sad. The
elevator
puzzle I guess?

I would say there are 6 real puzzles in the main game, making 12 puzzles total. Only the one you mentioned and maybe a couple of the optional tombs took very much thought to figure out.

List of main game puzzles (in order of appearance):
Scavenger's Den - getting burning crates past the waterfall.
Chasm Sanctuary - knocking down the bell.
Geothermal Caves - blasting the cage.
Endurance - hook puzzle.
Research Base - elevator.
Chasm Shrine - swinging the cage.

Most of those are really simple to figure out (and should hardly even qualify), and even the couple of good secret tombs are barely any better. The longest time I spent on a puzzle was several minutes and it was because I was overthinking the solution. One of the secret tombs didn't even have a puzzle in it.

void666

Banned
Finished the game last night. Found a few bugs in the last part. Sound stopped working.
And a script failed to trigger. Had to restart the checkpoint.

Game is fun. But could've been a lot better.
I'll wait till all the pc issues are ironed out for my second playthrough.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
59%. I freaking love this game and this will be one of those games where I will feel empty after I played it through.

Hell, this will be a game I will actually play through.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Towards the end of the game, when they show the
stormguard
swarming onto the battlefield, and all the people rushing at you, please tell me I wasn't the only one doing CHARLIEBROWNOHHHH.gif

Otherwise the end wasn't that hard/bad.

Just finished it, the end level sucks but what can ya do. Might do a video review of it cos I have a lot to say about it lol

Also whoever did the camerawork in the game needs a beat down, it's dreadful and even normal walking would make you dizzy

Having a couple guys throw grenades and being rushed by shotgun wielding morons doesn't make the combat good or smart.

...like I said, I just didn't get that from the game here. I use the assault rifle a lot, but when there's a lot of enemies they throw stuff at you to make you move. I literally do not see how it is possible for you to not have to move, because they frequently toss stuff and molotovs especially burn up the area meaning you have to avoid that cover for a period. That is not too different from uncharted, and the natural act of grenade is to make the player move around. Once you move around, enemies start getting around your position, and you have to take care of them first while being shot at from afar, or try and focus on getting the guys far away while dodging everyone close by. That is fun to me. When I die in TR I don't get mad, but I did a lot in UC3 due to the frustrating nature of the more difficult enemy waves. They felt outright cheap when you have enemies that don't react much to bullets rushing right at you, trying to suck you into the slow melee that is literally a death sentence on high difficulties. Melee is much more viable in TR(and pretty OP, really) which makes me play it more close range. Meaning, more shotgun use, shooting fire rounds into people, and using the bow to pull enemies off of ledges.

I like comparing it to UC2 more, as I felt the combat design was much better there. The stealth stuff getting hated on in TR is understandable, if people also had those same qualms with UC2. The AI, again, does very similar things. Once you are spotted, everyone knows your exact location. In TR, I shot my shotgun to open up a barricade and everyone started shooting at me when I was climbing a wall in the pitch black of the night, which is lame, but also what UC does. I even messed around a lot testing the limits of the AI in Uncharted by playing with an infinite ammo crossbow, which is completely silent. Lo and behold, invisible trigger lines that make the AI come to attention on Drake's exact location. That's lame in both games. UC3, when spotted, just spawns a bunch of enemies in because that game likes tossing inane amounts of shit at you.

I'm not arguing that one isn't harder than the other. The actual enemy types and stuff change it up a lot. But basic battle flow wise, it makes me scurry around pretty constantly, and I find the gunplay to be flexible and fun.

This may be true. Due to the (random?) nature of the drops I don't have this yet.

You make valid criticisms especially the stealth stuff which I think is poorly handled in both games but mostly because you can tell the developers want to push the combat. ND to me have done a better job with the enemy types you face and their manner of attacking for instance once a guy throws a grenade the other enemies will also lay down cover fire while still others move in to flank you from advancing cover. They are 'smarter' because when you take out a lead guy moving into cover they will re-formulate to the other side instead of just moving to their cover spot and giving you a peak of their noggin for you to blast off. Point is UC is divisive to people because it actually requires skill. You have to get good at tossing back thrown grenades the double pump melee and make use of all Nathan's moves to win, that comes at the cost of you being in control of the combat your a reactionary fighter in Uncharted your never really on the offensive and people don't like that. They want to feel superhuman they want to be in control. I understand the appeal and I think it can be even handled better than it is in TR. For Instance Far Cry 3 is definitely a game that gives you a god complex but it works because they have come up with a combat system that just flows. Especially the stealth mechanics which I think are some of the most enjoyable of any game.

That was a long run on of me basically saying:
99% of the time easy games = broken games

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Alright I'm at 75% through the game, with all the areas up until my current one at 100% completion. For reference I just reached the
shipwrecked beach.
I like the game, but damn, it has some pretty annoying segments. The platforming controls in this game are infuriating. I know people criticize Uncharted for having automatic platforming, but at least the character does what you want him to do. Lara is very picky as to what surfaces to attach onto, even when I'm jamming the Square button. You can't jump backwards off a wall unless the set piece asks for it, and several times now I've been exploring for collectibles and died because Lara refuses to jump backwards and instead just jumps sideways.

Also the set pieces feel, I don't know, flaccid? They just come off as trying too hard, and are always way too overblown to feel realistic or threatening. For example right before the section I'm at, when Lara
takes the cargo transporter down and reaches the massive ship being built in the sky, some random dude just gets on a machine gun emplacement and decides to destroy that entire massive construction.
I mean, really?? Was that really necessary? Instead of thinking to myself "OH SHIT I'M GOING TO DIE!!" I instead thought, "Really? This is what's happening now?"

Honestly, I think this game's multiplayer is better than its campaign. It shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Uncharted 2.

Y2Kev

Lol the cfo's name is Michael Poon

poon

lol poon

Anyway it's a quality game. It is MUCH better in the first half. The game feels more open and more mysterious; like Lara hasn't yet fully flashed your her tits. By the time you hit Shantytown, she's pretty much dancing naked on a stripper pole and you're just hoping you can get out of the club before she breaks a hip and you have a mess on your hands.

Still, that first half feels unique and different. It's dripping in atmosphere (as often said), and you really feel like you are struggling to survive.

Also, it's kinda wrong that they keep pitching this game as "a survivor is born." She already sounds pretty accomplished when the game starts. She's not some kind of forest warrior princess but she's already been on a number of digs and is quite well read and traveled. No use pretending she's a novice.

Sorian

Banned
Lol the cfo's name is Michael Poon

poon

lol poon

Anyway it's a quality game. It is MUCH better in the first half. The game feels more open and more mysterious; like Lara hasn't yet fully flashed your her tits. By the time you hit Shantytown, she's pretty much dancing naked on a stripper pole and you're just hoping you can get out of the club before she breaks a hip and you have a mess on your hands.

Still, that first half feels unique and different. It's dripping in atmosphere (as often said), and you really feel like you are struggling to survive.

Also, it's kinda wrong that they keep pitching this game as "a survivor is born." She already sounds pretty accomplished when the game starts. She's not some kind of forest warrior princess but she's already been on a number of digs and is quite well read and traveled. No use pretending she's a novice.

It's definitely dripping in atmosphere but I don't think it is a good atmosphere. Honestly, I never felt like I was a survivor on the island. The disconnect was too large. It's like Lara jumps from one problem to the next with barely any resolution in between. For example, early on with the hunting segment. She is hungry, she gets the bow, she kills a deer, and that's it. I never once felt the need to kill an animal from that point on unless I felt like being a dick. The salvage is pointless since I was drowning in that the entire game and another experience reward (especially such a small reward) served no purpose since I only saw 1 or 2 skills the entire game that I cared about. Idk, during the gameplay, I never felt like I was a survivor and during the cutscenes everything was just too over the top to make me feel anything.

Lime

I wonder if Crystal Dynamics were aware of the implications when they used the tagline "A SURVIVOR IS BORN" in lieu of the dialogue by Mathias
at the end when he chastises Lara for taking the lives of other human beings, i.e. "how many people have you killed [...] there are no heroes here, only SURVIVORS.", thus meaning that the people on the island aren't clear of conscience, but have done despicable acts in order to survive. At the end when you see this "A SURVIVOR IS BORN", the implication is basically that a killer has been born.
CD probably didn't put the links together, judging from the amount of ludonarrative dissonance throughout the game.

Also, that line from that specific type of character was lifted from Uncharted 2's similar type of character.

TripOpt55

They can definitely make the platforming tougher than here without going back to tank controls. I think it needs to be with a combination of traps and hazards like other games had. And make it harder to figure out where to go and how to get from point A to point B. I think having more platforming moves would go a long way towards helping too. The last trilogy had stuff like climbing up columns. Standing on little points. The wall run and swings with the grapple. Wall bounding. Also they should probably take out the ability to move while in air. Then you'd have to be more careful with lining up your jumps.

Trey

Just finished the game with a 79 percent completion. Will collate my thoughts and write up a little review. On the whole, I liked it. It's the first "cinematic game" I've ever played to completion, and as such, I disliked a fair bit of it. It's good to me in that I didn't have to strain my patience or attention span in order to finish the main quest, but I can see it will be a game I revisit rarely, if ever.

If I knew what I knew now, I might not buy it for the price I got it. But it was an entertaining experience for the most part and I'm glad to have played it. CD left a lot on the table I feel like, but what is there is tasty if not wholly filling. A solid 7.

Y2Kev

It's definitely dripping in atmosphere but I don't think it is a good atmosphere. Honestly, I never felt like I was a survivor on the island. The disconnect was too large. It's like Lara jumps from one problem to the next with barely any resolution in between. For example, early on with the hunting segment. She is hungry, she gets the bow, she kills a deer, and that's it. I never once felt the need to kill an animal from that point on unless I felt like being a dick. The salvage is pointless since I was drowning in that the entire game and another experience reward (especially such a small reward) served no purpose since I only saw 1 or 2 skills the entire game that I cared about. Idk, during the gameplay, I never felt like I was a survivor and during the cutscenes everything was just too over the top to make me feel anything.

Yes, that's true, the animal stuff is kind of unimportant. Which is curious to me because so many of the skills are about enhancing your ability to hunt animals. I wonder if the game originally had a larger focus on survival (hunger meter?) and it was axed as development changed.

The original design of the game-- the one that leaked a few years back-- might have fit that mold. Open world...more like a Fallout Hardcore mode type experience.

I also think it's ridiculous that Lara took as much punishment as she did and kept moving (I also thought it was ridiculous that Drake took so much in UC3 and kept going). I do have to say the graphic depiction of violence and injury in this game was severe and not always appreciated. I do not need to see self-cauterization ever again.

RagnarokX

They can definitely make the platforming tougher than here without going back to tank controls. I think it needs to be with a combination of traps and hazards like other games had. And make it harder to figure out where to go and how to get from point A to point B. I think having more platforming moves would go a long way towards helping too. The last trilogy had stuff like climbing up columns. Standing on little points. The wall run and swings with the grapple. Wall bounding. Also they should probably take out the ability to move while in air. Then you'd have to be more careful with lining up your jumps.

Well, it makes sense for her not to be gymnastic because this is her first (not really) adventure and it's highly unrealistic a woman would have prior gymnastic experience; how would they explain that? Being a weapons expert however? A-ok! :p

Sorian

Banned
Yes, that's true, the animal stuff is kind of unimportant. Which is curious to me because so many of the skills are about enhancing your ability to hunt animals. I wonder if the game originally had a larger focus on survival (hunger meter?) and it was axed as development changed.

The original design of the game-- the one that leaked a few years back-- might have fit that mold. Open world...more like a Fallout Hardcore mode type experience.

I also think it's ridiculous that Lara took as much punishment as she did and kept moving (I also thought it was ridiculous that Drake took so much in UC3 and kept going). I do have to say the graphic depiction of violence and injury in this game was severe and not always appreciated. I do not need to see self-cauterization ever again.

I still find it funny that the first (well I guess second) thing that happens to Lara is she falls on a spike that pierces straight through a lateral part of her abdomen and she just shrugs it off after 2-3 minutes. The infection rate of that kind of injury would be through the roof left untreated.

The stuff that Lara goes through in the game... the spike scene pales in comparison. It's a miracle she came out of it without even a broken bone, I mean she fell like a rock so many times in the game.

Man the more realistic you try too make games the more obvious these little oddities start to become apparent.

Totally agree here. I actually joked with my fiancee the entire time because when a cutscene would start we would take bets on how many falls there would be. I was just more commenting on the unrealistic spike right out of the gate.

Dahbomb

The stuff that Lara goes through in the game... the spike scene pales in comparison. It's a miracle she came out of it without even a broken bone, I mean she fell like a rock so many times in the game.

Man the more realistic you try too make games the more obvious these little oddities start to become apparent.

nOoblet16

Gotta love how stupid the game is, I'm killing people and making jokes, put a headshot with a bow and enemy flies 3 feet away, stuff is blowing up...let's blow even more stuff to solve the issue. Speaking of stuff blowing up, God things fall apart a lot in this island....EVERY set piece in this game and I really mean it when I say "every" has something to do with the building/island collapsing....very inspired ! This is a proper shooting game through and out, the exploration part is nil as you are constantly engaged no matter where and the Tombs are so laughably short and simple and ends with her opening a chest and gasping after seeing God knows what...haha

I don't want to protect this woman, she's a God damn killing machine.
Never ONCE in the game did I see her character being developed from a teenage explorer to a tough woman (and I believe this is what was promised to us and was the point of rebooting this to an origins story)...she's that fighting woman who a marksman and can do acrobatics like a pro from the get go.

Sorian

Banned
Gotta love how stupid the game is, I'm killing people and making jokes, put a headshot with a bow and enemy flies 3 feet away, stuff is blowing up...let's blow even more stuff to solve the issue. Speaking of stuff blowing up, God things fall apart a lot in this island....EVERY set piece in this game and I really mean it when I say "every" has something to do with the building/island collapsing....very inspired !

This is a proper shooting game through and out, the exploration part is nil as you are constantly engaged no matter where and the Tombs are so laughably short and simple and ends with her opening a chest and gasping after seeing God knows what...haha

Damn it, I just got an image of Lara opening a chest, gasping, then the Zelda chest music plays and she holds a bag that says EXP on it over her head.

nOoblet16

Did I miss the explanation why the
Fortress is apparently sitting on top of molten lava and it starts to all cave in?

Gotta have those set pieces.

They must've thought that the players probably won't remember or care where he/she is if you spend long enough time in a certain area.

I don't want to sound like oh man games are serious business but that was some dumb dumb stuff. I couldn't even enjoy how visually impressive that section was because it was so ridiculous

Lime

Yeah the game is really stupid in many ways.

e.g. one expendable henchman
conveniently protecting MacGuffin Girl and all of Lara's equipment and weapons

damidu

finished.
started good but ended in really low note. they really need some writers.

although it looks beautiful on pc, the tech also feels inferior to something like uncharted
(especially animation wise). this hampers both platforming and set-pieces.

basically the game was at its worst when trying to mimic uncharted
and much better at exploration, open ended segments.

still a decent basis for the future of the franchise i guess.

derFeef

I want a game to put an Inception spin on these world collapsing around you set pieces.

It should also be deep and complex, so you would have to decipher a 256bit key if you want to make one step forward in the round based open world with permadeath.

Lime

finished.
started good but ended in really low note. they really need some writers.

They had Rihanna Pratchet on board, but I'd bet that they just had her pen the overall script and dialogue, and then the designers or whoever filled in plot details as excuses for epic setpieces with minimal gameplay, like Temple of Explosions.

Top Bottom