• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

finished.
started good but ended in really low note. they really need some writers.

although it looks beautiful on pc, the tech also feels inferior to something like uncharted
(especially animation wise). this hampers both platforming and set-pieces.

basically the game was at its worst when trying to mimic uncharted
and much better at exploration, open ended segments.

still a decent basis for the future of the franchise i guess.

Yeah the game looks its best during the night scenes where they can mask a lot of the games weak areas. The day time areas really show how shoddy some stuff is

nOoblet16

Yeah the game looks its best during the night scenes where they can mask a lot of the games weak areas. The day time areas really show how shoddy some stuff is

Forget Uncharted, there was someone going around the forum claiming it along with Crysis 3 (which it does) looks like a next gen title. Delusional chap !

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I don't want to sound like oh man games are serious business but that was some dumb dumb stuff. I couldn't even enjoy how visually impressive that section was because it was so ridiculous

When you are climbing out of there, literally 6-7 explosions go off in sequence and it's just like...jesus christ, I recognized how low res the explosion is!

The controller rumbles for pretty much the entire game.

RagnarokX

Yeah the game is really stupid in many ways.

e.g. one expendable henchman
conveniently protecting MacGuffin Girl and all of Lara's equipment and weapons

That expendable henchman
was one of the 4 Russian brothers. Kind of a weak way for him to go, especially after how upset he was that Lara killed his brother and he didn't kill her because Mathias stopped him. Should have done more with him.

Wynnebeck

Banned
That expendable henchman
was one of the 4 Russian brothers. Kind of a weak way for him to go, especially after how upset he was that Lara killed his brother and he didn't kill her because Mathias stopped him. Should have done more with him.

Wait who was
the last brother? I know that you hear about him on your way to the wrecked ship and that's the last time he's mentioned.

nOoblet16

Regarding Roth
Lol he had a spare pistol with bullets yet he turned his back, lol he killed the goons running at him first but not the guy with obvious intentions to throw an axe.

Played it a bit more and I think the amount of "stuff is falling apart" in this game is now getting close to being infuriating and frankly speaking a insulting.

Just finished it. Loved it. It feels like parts of Tomb Raider, Uncharted and Batman: Arkham Asylum rolled into one, and it's balanced at that.

I personally like the new Lara. Yeah there is some rapid bipolar shifts from innocent and scared girl to "I'M GOING TO KILL YOU ALL, YOU BASTARDS!", but overall I like the new direction they are going with her. I look forward to seeing what they do with her in the next game.

There could have been some more tombs, and bigger tombs that didn't just have one puzzle with a giant treasure chest at the end containing salvage. I thought the game looked great most of the time but as others have said some parts aren't up to scratch and can look inferior to other games (for example character models). Some of the characters were pretty flat and overall the story and character development could have been much better, but I'm happy as it is.

I'm interested to see what they do with the next game. Although I loved the island for the most part in this game, it made sense for the story to take place in one location. But for the next I want more variety, but obviously that would change how the game plays if it's not one continuous location. But more and bigger tombs with multiple (harder) puzzles is a must, as is swimming, diving, and preferably some vehicle sections. I liked the combat and the upgrade system so I want to see them return, but the upgrade system makes sense in this game but might not in a standard sort of Tomb Raider experience.

0OoO0

Have not been following this game at all. Was wondering are the tombs in this game like the ones in Assassin's Creed?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Have not been following this game at all. Was wondering are the tombs in this game like the ones in Assassin's Creed?

The tombs consist of Dark Gearswalking as Lara walks in, then a one-room puzzle that would make Snooki feel smart (not all tombs have that), and then useless treasure.

They are not hard to find (there are symbols on the exterior of each tomb that practically say TOMB --->) and the game alerts you when you are near a tomb. There is also an ability you get get that puts all the tombs on your map.

ironcreed

Banned
Just played the opening sequence and here are my first impressions. Could do without the quick time events, but the free form gameplay, while certainly not deep, is incredibly smooth and just feels good to control. Also, the environment interactivity is great and the presentation and production value is simply outstanding. Exceeding my expectations here. Off to an excellent start.

Finished this today. A joy from start to finish, and one of the most cohesive experiences I've played. Not only one of the best games I've played this generation, but one of the best games, period. I rarely 100% games, and very rarely replay single-player games of this length, and with Tomb Raider I'm going to do both.

Lime

Finished this today. A joy from start to finish, and one of the most cohesive experiences I've played. Not only one of the best games I've played this generation, but one of the best games, period. I rarely 100% games, and very rarely replay single-player games of this length, and with Tomb Raider I'm going to do both.

Not only do you make flawed arguments in the Anita Sarkeesian thread in an attempt to counter the wish for better representation of minorities in video games, but you also think this Tomb Raider "is one of the best games, period".

I think you're my arch nemesis or something. ;)

RagnarokX

Not only do you make flawed arguments in the Anita Sarkeesian thread in an attempt to counter the wish for better representation of minorities in video games, but you also think this Tomb Raider "is one of the best games, period".

I think you're my arch nemesis or something. ;)

hmmm...

dkf3Dhc.jpg

urge26

Rarely do I post, but this game really is incredible...... Granted I'm on PC, ultimate, tressfx, etc. This to me is a true next gen experience, and the first game I've played in a long time where I didn't feel like I was trudging through things. I'm sorry GAF, but this beats Uncharted 2 to me..... Bravo Crystal Dynamics!

Lime

lol @ "You've grown up. When will your games?" headline in 2001

And I'm still asking the same question in 2013.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I really wonder why they made the gun parts random while the collections all lead to XP. Seems like a pretty simple fix to me to give much more incentive and reward to collecting if you got these at the end.

Just beat it. I actually felt the game was too long, I just wanted it to be over for the last few hours. The bow is so satisfying and is the best thing about the game IMO. Good rental

FHIZ

So, question. I just got to the point where
you meet up with the old guy from your crew somewhere inside the shanty town
how far am I in the game at this point? I hate looking at the percentage on the save file because it seems like that number is higher than it should be. Just worried I'm rushing through this without knowing.

Bladenic

Just bought it from Wal-Mart and it came with a few goodies including a free download for Lara Croft GoL. Awesome. Opening was pretty good.

Dead

well not really...yet
So, question. I just got to the point where
you meet up with the old guy from your crew somewhere inside the shanty town
how far am I in the game at this point? I hate looking at the percentage on the save file because it seems like that number is higher than it should be. Just worried I'm rushing through this without knowing.
Half way more or less

It took me about 6-7 hours to get to that point

bitoriginal

Just completed it, loved it. Didn't rush the game and felt the length was pretty much perfect. Really enjoyed the flow of the game, the core traversal mechanics are solid and make for some great platforming. The environments throughout the game were stunning, and wouldn't look out of place in a survival horror. Great game, story is cheese but what game isn't really. Definitely agree with the poster that said this was a bit like a Batman Begins for Lara. I liked that Lara was constantly getting new skills throughout the game too, I felt like a hardened badass by the end of it. It was also a joy to play from beginning to end, which is a rare thing.

One thing I loved about the story was the dialogue we got when we found journals and treasures. I actually enjoyed finding out more about the history of the island and it gave me incentive to hunt the collectables. There are very few games that I find all collectables in, but I'm going to do it in Tomb Raider just like I did in RDR.

Things I'd like to see in the sequel;
-Harder puzzles, the ones we got were disappointingly easy.
-Deeper and more complex traversal mechanics.
-Bigger tombs with more platforming.
-Better tomb payoff. Finding a chest and not getting some awesome treasure was a missed opportunity I feel.
-Improved stealth elements.
-Make hard mode actually hard. Dont just give me bullet sponge enemies.

Overall a quality game, really high production standards, my only issue was that it wasn't challenging enough.

ironcreed

Banned
Damn, this game is actually fantastic. I thought I would have fun with it, but it is by far and away better than I ever thought it would be. Looks and runs amazing on PS3 as well.

Love being able to go back to previous areas and explore for lore, salvage and relics, the story is great, the atmosphere and production value is to the moon and it plays like silk. I especially appreciate how Lara just crouches on her own when you are near cover. Feels so much more natural and believable. Game shits all over Uncharted, in my opinion.

Spazznid

Why? I'm genuinely curious about what possible reasons a person might find the story to be "great".

I'm glad they didn't do much with the other characters. Not really a good thing, but I like that the story only seems to care about Lara.

ironcreed

Banned
Why? I'm genuinely curious about what possible reasons a person might find the story to be "great".

So far I am liking the lore behind the so called myth, the intrigue and mystery of the island and Lara's journey to not only solve this ancient mystery, but the journey of being forced to survive and find herself at the same time. Forgive me if I find it interesting. To each their own.

Lime

I'm glad they didn't do much with the other characters. Not really a good thing, but I like that the story only seems to care about Lara.

So far I am liking the lore behind the so called myth, the intrigue and mystery of the island and Lara's journey to not only solve this ancient mystery, but the journey of being forced to survive and find herself at the same time. Forgive me if I find it interesting. To each their own.

Of course, each to their own - as I said, I'm only curious about which aspects of the story are found by some to be great, as I failed to notice such things myself.

Wynnebeck

Banned
To its own merit, the game does a good job of getting you sucked into the world. I beat it in 2 sittings and the first sitting was 6 hours just by itself.

To its own merit, the game does a good job of getting you sucked into the world. I beat it in 2 sittings and the first sitting was 6 hours just by itself.

I actually enjoyed the journal entries a lot. Game the game a very creepy atmosphere. I made sure to find every single one of those.

Damn, this game is actually fantastic. I thought I would have fun with it, but it is by far and away better than I ever thought it would be. Looks and runs amazing on PS3 as well.

Love being able to go back to previous areas and explore for lore, salvage and relics, the story is great, the atmosphere and production value is to the moon and it plays like silk. I especially appreciate how Lara just crouches on her own when you are near cover. Feels so much more natural and believable. Game shits all over Uncharted, in my opinion.

Gears as well right and any other game it has borrowed heavily from. SMH

The story for this game is atrocious, and it wouldn't be a problem if it didn't try to smack me with it constantly.

I feel like my view on this game would be a lot different if they went all serious, with kind of a slight tone of the supernatural. Like very slight.

The story for this game is atrocious, and it wouldn't be a problem if it didn't try to smack me with it constantly.

I feel like my view on this game would be a lot different if they went all serious, with kind of a slight tone of the supernatural. Like very slight.

Bro when you gave me that little warning headsup on the game had you already played some of it? Your opinions were right on.

Lime

With the amount of killing and the amount of blatantly copying other games, they might as well have straight up copied Spec Ops: The Line's subversive commentary on player agency and killing.

That might actually have been the only justifiable carbon-copy of another contemporary game, rather than Uncharted or Batman

Bro when you gave me that little warning headsup on the game had you already played some of it? Your opinions were right on.

Yeah, I was playing the Xbox 360 press copy.
I wasn't going to sell you something not worth the price tag, and I'm glad you got it for $25.

With the amount of killing and the amount of blatantly copying other games, they might as well have straight up copied Spec Ops: The Line's subversive commentary on player agency and killing.

That might actually have been the only justifiable carbon-copy of another contemporary game, rather than Uncharted or Batman

Exactly.
The theme of the story conflicts with the gameplay mechanics of it's contemporary which is Uncharted. Dead Space succeeded because it went all out being RE4, but Tomb Raider on the other hand is trying to cram too many different ideas while executing all of them kind of poorly because the design philosophy doesn't make sense with the gameplay.

Probably asked a million times, but is there a "definitive" version of this game? I have both consoles and I'm debating on which platform to play on.

lantus

I don't know if it really had to do with my lack of interest in this game, but when I red boxed this yesterday, I played for a good 5-6 hours, and this game just doesn't seem special in any sense of the word. Of all the mechanics this game borrows from others, it doesn't seem to really excel in any of them. The story just didnt have any substance at all from what I played. I will say the settings were pretty nice though, and it gave me an Uncharted 2 vibe a couple of times, but that's just about where any of the praise I have for the game ends.

Top Bottom