• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Varna

I played on hard. I felt it offered an appropriate challenge and I play most my games on hard. What are you trying to say then?

Every single aspect of this game was designed to be easy to pickup and finish. It's designed so that anyone can finish it with very little difficulty.

How is this almost different then in something like Uncharted or even the older Tomb Raider games? You aim, you run forward, you jump. Oh wait in the old Tomb Raider you had to hold a button down for her to automatically grab a hold. Yep that one difference really makes it all.

The originals did not have magnetic auto platforming. You had to time you're jumps.

EDIT: and you will probably say the same is true in this game. No, not even close.

Sorian

Banned
How is this almost different then in something like Uncharted or even the older Tomb Raider games? You aim, you run forward, you jump. Oh wait in the old Tomb Raider you had to hold a button down for her to automatically grab a hold. Yep that one difference really makes it all.

You can still get spotted and get flagged down by gunfire. Just because she crouches automatically doesn't mean the game just takes control and kills people left and right all sneaky like.

The problem with stealth isn't really the fact that she crouches automatically IMO. The problem is that bodies can't be moved after they are killed (unless I'm very daft) and once a body is seen, every guard in a mile radius somehow knows your exact location (even if you are NO WHERE near that dead body. I understand being alerted but these guards can suddenly turn on their Arkham detective vision, apparently.

derFeef

You can still get spotted and get flagged down by gunfire. Just because she crouches automatically doesn't mean the game just takes control and kills people left and right all sneaky like.

The hyperbole is killing me, it's like he forgets everything else you do in the game. I said it before but he is describing Dragons Lair imho.

The originals did not have magnetic auto platforming. You had to time you're jumps.

EDIT: and you will probably say the same is true in this game. No, not even close.

What do you mean with time? The jumps with moving parts? Yeah I miss those so far, but it's not like you can jump in any direction in this game and stuff automatically happens.

Derrick01

Banned
The hyperbole is killing me, it's like he forgets everything else you do in the game. I said it before but he is describing Dragons Lair imho.

I forgot about that incredibly deep XP and crafting system? Or hunting all those useful collectibles? There's not much else in the game.

Yeah you did, but people in here are acting like Tomb Raider 2013 auto jumps for you and that's not exactly accurate. I've been replaying the older Tomb Raiders and aside from the more expansive and Tomb like nature to explore with all this wonderful platforming talk. The controls are absolute garbage these days.

spekkeh

Banned
Just finished the
burning fortress
level. I don't care if it's all dumb explosions and press a to awesome, it was just so much fun, what a riot. Also I think the game is insanely good looking, yes console peasant and all that. I think it's fine if all next gen games would look like this. Just improve the hair physics, add some boob physics (I kid I kid... or am I?), and above all make the levels a bit bigger in terms of exploration, and I'm good.

Varna

Yeah you did, but people in here are acting like Tomb Raider 2013 auto jumps for you and that's not exactly accurate. I've been replaying the older Tomb Raiders and aside from the more expansive and Tomb like nature. The controls are absolute garbage these days.

I won't deny the control are shit. But the platforming was good. And really, not having to put much thought into your jump is pretty much the same as auto jumping (at least to me). That was the challenge after all.

Sorian

Banned
Just finished the
burning fortress
level. I don't care if it's all dumb explosions and press a to awesome, it was just so much fun, what a riot. Also I think the game is insanely good looking, yes console peasant and all that. I think it's fine if all next gen games would look like this. Just improve the hair physics, add some boob physics (I kid I kid... or am I?), and above all make the levels a bit bigger in terms of exploration, and I'm good.

You don't kid, add in a swimsuit too, damn it.

Is this one of your sarcasm posts? I can't tell.

He was sarcastic about the crafting, xp, and collectibles. He was serious about there not being much else. Got your back Mr. Accurate.

The combat is annoying because there are some great ideas that just don't amount to anything, and yes it's insanely easy and there is a feeling the devs tried to make the game as idiot proof as possible. Playing with just the bow and not using fire arrows helps. It's the only way I can salvage the ecounters at all. Compared to UC and especially Batman the combat is no challenge whatsoever.

I love the game so far. Very fun. I just wish it didn't make me nauseous after 30 minutes of gameplay.

My day so far:

Play for 30 minutes.
Go lay on the couch.
Play for 45 minutes.
Take a nap.
Play for 20 minutes.
Almost hurl.

I won't deny the control are shit. But the platforming was good. And really, not having to put much thought into your jump is pretty much the same as auto jumping (at least to me). That was the challenge after all.

I think the challenge in the older Tomb Raiders was just trying to see what exactly you were jumping at. I just don't see why the old platforming in Tomb Raider is looked at so wonderfully when its crap. I give them the puzzles and tombs, for sure. The platforming from the older games can gladly stay far away.

The combat is annoying because there are some great ideas that just don't amount to anything, and yes it's insanely easy and there is a feeling the devs tried to make the game as idiot proof as possible. Playing with just the bow and not using fire arrows helps. It's the only way I can salvage the ecounters at all. Compared to UC and especially Batman the combat is no challenge whatsoever.

Disagree completely with this. I didn't find legitimate challenge in Uncharted at all. None of them. The times it did it seemed overbearingly cheap.

Dahbomb

That's because the controls in the old TR games were janky as hell. Part of the challenge in the platforming was fighting against the controls. They were acceptable for the time, unacceptable in todays age.

Also while the platforming isn't completely automatic it is a bit guided and Lara adjusts to the jump. You can miss jumps but you have to miss it by a long shot to fuck it up.

Varna

I think the challenge in the older Tomb Raiders was just trying to see what exactly you were jumping at. I just don't see why the old platforming in Tomb Raider is looked at so wonderfully when its crap. I give them the puzzles and tombs, for sure. The platforming from the older games can gladly stay far away.

It was part of the package. I like risk in my games. It makes the experience worthwhile. I wouldn't be so hard on this game if it even had just a little bit of the old TR formula.

Derrick01

Banned
Is this one of your sarcasm posts? I can't tell.

I'm serious. Every facet of gameplay in this game is at best shallow. From the platforming to the stealth to the standard cover shooting combat to the optional tombs that take a minute to solve to the xp/crafting system and to the "hunting". I don't know what deep and challenging element you're hinting at that I'm forgetting to mention.

And I didn't say this was the same as Dragon's Lair. I just said I don't think the gap between the two games are so massive that it should be scoffed at.

ironcreed

Banned
Yeah you did, but people in here are acting like Tomb Raider 2013 auto jumps for you and that's not exactly accurate. I've been replaying the older Tomb Raiders and aside from the more expansive and Tomb like nature to explore with all this wonderful platforming talk. The controls are absolute garbage these days.

Especially the camera. At least as far as Crystal Dynamics efforts go. Looking forward to seeing how improved it is when I start the game here in a bit.

Phinor

Just finished at around 12 hours with some items yet to be found. I'd like to compare this to Amalur from 2012, not that they are similar games but in that overall the experience of playing both games was most of the time at least good, often great. And yet, both games had quite a few flaws as well. Flaws that didn't ruin the experience, but flaws that were obvious.

Shortly put I'd like less enemies, more puzzles in the sequel. Less QTE, less losing control of the character and again, a bit more puzzles. Also maybe Lara shouldn't fall quite as often as she did in this game. The story and characters were "typical" video game stuff that didn't do much to improve the game. The leveling and upgrading system added almost nothing to the game, needs to be re-designed. The way the areas linked to each other was pretty neat. Good design there. But as I said, the flaws didn't ruin the game and I have no problem recommending this game to people.

Disagree completely with this. I didn't find legitimate challenge in Uncharted at all. None of them. The times it did it seemed overbearingly cheap.

Are you playing on easy? Uncharted requires you to constantly move around the environment and use your gunplay in combination with the melee system to keep the upper hand it can be extremely challenging especially on Crushing.

Dahbomb

Are you playing on easy? Uncharted requires you to constantly move around the environment and use your gunplay in combination with the melee system to keep the upper hand it can be extremely challenging especially on Crushing.
So basically exactly like TR. UC3 was mostly pretty easy with occasional difficulty spikes, not all that different from TR.

Not at all. Not crushing but on hard. If I recall correctly. I try playing all my games on hard. Achievements and all plus just makes the games last longer. I played Uncharted 3 when I was in Afghanistan. So I had alot of time on my hands when I wasn't working 12 hour shifts.

I am not hinting at deep and challenging elements. I guess what you want from games is really outlandish to me. I enjoy good controlling, working, and polished games - I don't need every mechanic to be super deep and challenging as long as it's fun and enjoyable to play.

This is also why we have different games. I don't see why every game has to provide an uber challenge. I loved Darks Souls but once was enough for me. I doubt I'll ever go back to it, but what an accomplishment for me. I tried to get three other people to play it, they all gave up.

derFeef

I'm serious. Every facet of gameplay in this game is at best shallow. From the platforming to the stealth to the standard cover shooting combat to the optional tombs that take a minute to solve to the xp/crafting system and to the "hunting". I don't know what deep and challenging element you're hinting at that I'm forgetting to mention.

And I didn't say this was the same as Dragon's Lair. I just said I don't think the gap between the two games are so massive that it should be scoffed at.

I am not hinting at deep and challenging elements. I guess what you want from games is really outlandish to me. I enjoy good controlling, working, and polished games - I don't need every mechanic to be super deep and challenging as long as it's fun and enjoyable to play.
Nor do I want every game to be that way.

hawk2025

I'm loving the game, but to be fair you can control Lara while in the fricking air in this game after jumping. Even Uncharted and the previous CD Tomb Raiders, while having some level of "air adjustment" for jumps, weren't THIS ridiculous.

I've never been one to complain about this in games, it's just a little too silly and the magnetic hands are a little too strong.

...with that said, this game is absolutely fantastic. I have no idea how so many aren't finding it to be simply a joy to play, warts and all.

...with that said, this game is absolutely fantastic. I have no idea how so many aren't finding it to be simply a joy to play, warts and all.

Because it plays the game all by itself apparently... well or it's not much of a game, would be the reasons you will get.

Necrovex

Finished Tomb Raider yesterday.

I read through Derrick's criticisms, and I cannot deny the vast majority of his points. The leveling system is super shallow and besides a skill or two, I doubt most will really notice the difference between baby Lara and bad-ass Lara (at least I didn't notice any true difference). I really disliked the cluster of shit popping up on my screen about her levels and such.

The game was super easy. I died a few times, mostly because I am mediocre at games and I was careless. Platforming was super Uncharted. The controls were fantastic though, I never felt that I was fighting against it. The combat felt really smooth. I enjoyed the shit easy platforming, even if I did die more than I should have because of my own stupidity.

There is a major disconnect between the story of the game and the actual gameplay. At least the game somewhat winked at this at the very end (CD, you shouldn't make a joke about this when it is your own bloody fault!!!!). None of the side characters were really memorable, I only remember some of them because of Gaf's jokes (like fat Vaas), and by the other characters' stereotype.

I cannot really say this game is a original work of art, and if I was reviewing it, I would give it a harsher score than most; I would give it a 3/5 if I was a serious reviewer. But hey, I am not a "critic," and a guy who simply love these type of games.

I recognize the flaws in it. I understand the hatred a lot of people is giving this game. This is my first Tomb Raider game, so the game being quite different from the other games isn't a big deal for me. However, the type of gamer I am, I really dug this title. I received a good experience with it. I dug the new Lara Croft. And I am excited to get the sequel in a few years.

Sorian

Banned
Nor do I want every game to be that way.

To be fair, if the game is going to have such a weak story, the least it can do is have some deep element to it. Is the game fun? Yes. Is the game good? No.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

This is quite literally EXACTLY how TR is played...

Lara needs to scurry around due to the frequency of molotovs and dynamite tossed, deal with enemies that that move up on her and attempt to flank, and usually there's an enemy laying suppressive fire that will nail her once she moves out.

Nothing in TR is like UC on Crushing, but I never found it to be a very well made difficulty mode to start with. The AI in Uncharted does many things no better or worse than TR does. Only talking UC2 and 3 here as TR is more like that.

Salaadin

Just finished the game. I loved it. The shooting was great, platforming as fun (though too automatic) and the set pieces were really well done. I was even into the story a bit. Its not a fantastic story but it worked for me.

Im still upset that this probably means the end of traditional Tomb Raider. I was going to say that I hope for less shooting and more platforming in the sequel but I really dont think thats going to happen. I dont want to let that tarnish what CD did with this new Tomb Raider, though. Fantastic job.

Sorian

Banned
I am having a stroke...

That's nice.

If people don't have the desire to pick up the game again after an initial playthrough, it's not good. The initial appeal of something can make it fun while masking shitty, mediocre elements that won't be seen until after that appeal is gone. You've experienced this before if you've ever thought a movie was only good the first time around.

Derrick01

Banned
Uncharted is much harder than this game (I think "frustrating" is a term often used).

From my experience you're right with both. The uncharted games even on Normal have some weird difficulty spikes in places where I'll die 10+ times and get close to throwing my controller, and I'm not a fan of those games' shooting mechanics or enemy placements. It's why I haven't even tried those games on Crushing, I don't want to deal with the frustration.

And I don't feel like it's tough in a legit way, just cheap ways like seemingly infinite waves of enemies in places and sometimes they spawn behind you.

Risible

Just finished the game not five minutes ago.

Overall I enjoyed it. It was a rollercoaster-type game. Not much depth, and too easy, but fun in a chewing bubblegum sort of way. Zero replay value though unless you're big into collectibles. The story was fine if predictable.

Haunted

The problem with stealth isn't really the fact that she crouches automatically IMO. The problem is that bodies can't be moved after they are killed (unless I'm very daft) and once a body is seen, every guard in a mile radius somehow knows your exact location (even if you are NO WHERE near that dead body. I understand being alerted but these guards can suddenly turn on their Arkham detective vision, apparently.
Yup, guards only having an "on/off" setting for alerts, was maybe ok last generation (for action games/shooters at least, it was already unacceptable for stealth games back then), but this generation has upped the ante. You generally expect a high profile third person shooter with optional stealth elements to do at least that much.

That's nice.

If people don't have the desire to pick up the game again after an initial playthrough, it's not good. The initial appeal of something can make it fun while masking shitty, mediocre elements that won't be seen until after that appeal is gone. You've experienced this before if you've ever thought a movie was only good the first time around.

This happens with the majority of games these days if you ask around. Why people don't just rent games... No idea. As for me, I play a lot of my games again and Tomb Raider will be one of them. I'm replaying Alan Wake as a matter of fact these days.

Sorian

Banned
This happens with the majority of games these days if you ask around. Why people don't just rent games... No idea. As for me, I play a lot of my games again and Tomb Raider will be one of them. I'm replaying Alan Wake as a matter of fact these days.

At least on a second playthrough of Alan Wake, you can spot things in the story that were subtle and not picked up on the first time around. Tomb Raider, literally, offers nothing new and exciting.

At least on a second playthrough of Alan Wake, you can spot things in the story that were subtle and not picked up on the first time around. Tomb Raider, literally, offers nothing new and exciting.

Well when I've played Alan Wake for the 7 time, I don't think that reason applies for me buddy. ;) How about playing Tomb Raider again for the atmosphere, or insane set pieces? :p

Manp

i'm at the point where
you have to go rescue Sam
and i have to say this game is really good, i'm enjoying my time with it a whole lot.

a great surprise so far :)

Dahbomb

People seem to don't understand that a game can be mindless "fun" yet still not be that great.

Dynasty Warriors is an example of this. It's fun, controls well and lots of stuff to unlock. I mean how can you not enjoy slaughteting thousands of soldiers in historic feudal China? Doesn't change the fact that the game play is shallow, the AI stupid and the level design pedestrian. It's empty calorie entertainment, you shut off your brain and go ham on Square plus Triangle.

TR is like that and the "fun" in this game is very manufactured at times for a video game. Some people just don't find hand holding and set piece driven action to be fun.

Einbroch

Banned

I haven't replayed a game in five or six years. It's how games are now. What was new in Alan Wake that you don't pick up the first time through? I've only played through it once, but if it's little pieces of paper or whatever (I can't remember), this game has it, too.

This is quite literally EXACTLY how TR is played...

Lara needs to scurry around due to the frequency of molotovs and dynamite tossed, deal with enemies that that move up on her and attempt to flank, and usually there's an enemy laying suppressive fire that will nail her once she moves out.

Nothing in TR is like UC on Crushing, but I never found it to be a very well made difficulty mode to start with. The AI in Uncharted does many things no better or worse than TR does. Only talking UC2 and 3 here as TR is more like that.

If you use the Assault Rifle you can literally mop up every single enemy in TR and stay in one spot of cover. You guys are stretching this combat to be something it isn't. AI is also far better in UC. Try playing one part of UC3 like the tanker, the ship graveyard, or the desert like you do TR and let's see how long you last. Your immediately flushed from cover and rushed out of hiding spots. Having a couple guys throw Moltovs and being rushed by axe wielding morons doesn't make the combat good or smart

Derrick01

Banned
People seem to don't understand that a game can be mindless "fun" yet still not be that great.

Dynasty Warriors is an example of this. It's fun, controls well and lots of stuff to unlock. I mean how can you not enjoy slaughteting thousands of soldiers in historic feudal China? Doesn't change the fact that the game play is shallow, the AI stupid and the level design pedestrian. It's empty calorie entertainment, you shut off your brain and go ham on Square plus Triangle.

TR is like that and the "fun" in this game is very manufactured at times for a video game. Some people just don't find hand holding and set piece driven action to be fun.

I actually do understand since I used to play each new DW game in the ps2 era, and only play them every few years now. They're excellent games to just waste time on, turn the sound off and listen to music on the PC. I'd probably get the new Empires game if it wasn't only available on PSN as $50 is too much to ask for.

If everything was turning into DW I would be royally pissed off though.

Top Bottom