• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

So far I am liking the lore behind the so called myth, the intrigue and mystery of the island and Lara's journey to not only solve this ancient mystery, but the journey of being forced to survive and find herself at the same time. Forgive me if I find it interesting. To each their own.

Right now your generally in a sea of people bad mouthing the game. Their own opinion of course but you'll find that most of the people that really loved the game have moved on from the thread already unlike the posters that keep talking about how bad a video game story is, can't understand how this is a game, and don't understand why people could enjoy it.

Bladenic

One very small detail I'm appreciating is the fact that the bow is (so far) clipping free. This was a huge jarring issue in AC3, as the bow always went through Connor's body. Nice to see that Lara's tits aren't getting scratched up by the bowstring.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Right now your generally in a sea of people bad mouthing the game. Their own opinion of course but you'll find that most of the people that really loved the game have moved on from the thread already unlike the posters that keep talking about how bad a video game story is, can't understand how this is a game, and don't understand why people could enjoy it.

Cut the persecution complex out. It was a good game but it has several valid flaws, one of them being the story.

Cut the persecution complex out. It was a good game but it has several valid flaws, one of them being the story.

I'm not cutting anything out. Right now the thread has a ton of negativity comments posted by some of the same people over and over. You want me to lie and say otherwise... sure. No.

I'm not cutting anything out. Right now the thread has a ton of negativity comments posted by some of the same people over and over. You want me to lie and say otherwise... sure. No.

Who? All I see is valid criticisms. Lime did his review where he enjoyed the game overall for what it is, no one seems to have blatant hate for the game.

If you don't agree then just state your point. No one is on a mission to tear down this game.

Wynnebeck

Banned

So you're basically whining about people with different opinions? Carry on.

None, but I also don't know any college graduates that are born killers, skilled in melee and firearm combat, with the athleticism of a olympian and durability of a tank.

Well Laura was trained by Roth how to survive, etc. but yeah it was pretty jarring going from sweet Lara Croft to Predator over the course of the game.

Lime

bad·mouth or bad-mouth
-To criticize or disparage, often spitefully or unfairly

Highlighting flaws / criticizing the game = badmouthing the game. You're reducing or mischaracterizing people's criticisms with a rhetorical trick. If you yourself is supposed to be a reviewer, surely you should be able to distinguish between badmouthing and criticizing.

Or do you really think that people have been criticizing the game unfairly?

ironcreed

Banned
Gears as well right and any other game it has borrowed heavily from. SMH

Gears? Don't see any Gears here, sorry. Besides, Gears of War did not invent third person shooters, not that this game is really that much of one anyway. As there is more to it than that.

But where I feel it excels over the likes of Uncharted is in more open areas and masterful level design that intertwines with routes back to where you came from, different paths to take when there are enemies, and even a bit of Metroidvania type design with areas you cannot access until later in the game when you have the right items and upgrades. Will be nice to go back and explore the areas in different ways and collect lore, relics, etc.

In addition, I also feel the gameplay and the natural free-form cover is better. When Lara is sneaking with the bow, it feels great and you get a real sense of being a hunter. No, there is nothing incredibly deep here, but it works, it's polished, the presentation and production value is outstanding, it plays great and the level design is a thing of beauty. I can see why it was received so well, but of course you cannot please everyone. Again, to each their own.

Gears? Don't see any Gears here, sorry. Besides, Gears of War did not invent third person shooters, not that this game is really that much of one anyway. As there is more to it than that.

But where I feel it excels over the likes of Uncharted is in more open areas and masterful level design that intertwines with routes back to where you came from, different paths to take when there are enemies, and even a bit of Metroidvania type design with areas you cannot access until later in the game when you have the right items and upgrades. Will be nice to go back and explore the areas in different ways and collect lore, relics, etc.

In addition, I also feel the gameplay and the natural free-form cover is better. When Lara is sneaking with the bow, it feels great and you get a real sense of being a hunter. No, there is nothing incredibly deep here, but it works, it's polished, the presentation and production value is outstanding, it plays great and the level design is a thing of beauty. I can see why it was received so well, but of course you cannot please everyone. Again, to each their own.

I think those are all valid things to really like about the game I just don't see how it has anything to do with UC at all. The only thing it copies from UC is the 'idea' of a set-piece which I think is one of the weakest aspects of TR. I just don't see why people think that in order to glorify their experience they have to diminish the accomplishment of another game that it isn't even remotely like.

bad·mouth or bad-mouth
-To criticize or disparage, often spitefully or unfairly

Highlighting flaws / criticizing the game = badmouthing the game. You're reducing or mischaracterizing people's criticisms with a rhetorical trick. If you yourself is supposed to be a reviewer, surely you should be able to distinguish between badmouthing and criticizing.

Or do you really think that people have been criticizing the game unfairly?

No, people going on and on about what they find bad, which as I said your opinion, is fine. Though the way some people are treating people who are enjoying the game is ridiculous. Hell I was insulted earlier for trying to offer my thoughts and called simplistic and would be amused by a lazer point pen.

Wynnebeck

Banned
No, people going on and on about what they find bad, which as I said your opinion, is fine. Though the way some people are treating people who are enjoying the game is ridiculous. Hell I was insulted earlier for trying to offer my thoughts and called simplistic and would be amused by a lazer point pen.

lol Sounds like Derrick.

EDIT: Oh shit I was right! LOL

Derrick does not represent GAF. Be good to remember that.

Lime

No just find people going on and on about what they find bad, which as I said your opinion is fine. Though the way some people are treating people who are enjoying the game and like it is ridiculous. Hell I was insulted earlier for trying to offer my thoughts and called simplistic and would be amused by a lazer point pen.

Yeah I haven't read all of the last couple of pages, but I understand where you are coming from then :lol

Unfortunately when people are reading texts and coming from different backgrounds and countries, the space of possibility for interpretation is wide open. In order to avoid misinterpretation, I completely agree that the tone and arguments should be as diplomatic and humble as possible without any mudslinging and/or excessive Oprah gifs.

hmmm...

dkf3Dhc.jpg

I almost want to run with that.

Not sure to what flawed comments he's referring to, though. In the latest one I simply addressed her utter lack of argument. In a previous one, I simply pointed out that I don't believe "minorities" (which is such a fucking "white" term) should be included in games as some sort of "just because" while also stating that I don't think that video games or even society is ready to address the idea that a person goes far beyond their ethnicity.

/shrug

As for Tomb Raider: I had fun with it. I didn't stop having fun with it. I never wanted to stop playing; I never got bored and started looking at Facebook on my phone. It's rare that I can say that about games these days. I'm not looking at it to be some deep and meaningful piece of art. I wanted to be entertained and the game delivered.

ironcreed

Banned
I think those are all valid things to really like about the game I just don't see how it has anything to do with UC at all. The only thing it copies from UC is the 'idea' of a set-piece which I think is one of the weakest aspects of TR. I just don't see why people think that in order to glorify their experience they have to diminish the accomplishment of another game that it isn't even remotely like.

I suppose I did not have to word it the way I did. As I actually love the first two Uncharted titles (did not care for 3). I have just heard so many rip this game as some sort of rip off, when it is really not and offers so much more than Uncharted at a gameplay level. That is all I meant and I think they are both superb for what they bring to the table. But as far as adventure games go, I do prefer this to the full-on linear design and sticky gameplay of Uncharted.

Can someone gif the scene where
Lara slowly rises out of the river of blood?

I think that was the greatest looking part of the entire game, and that's saying a lot. It looked incredible, and well done.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm near the end (I think) and my impressions are still positive. Hell of a game, with a handful of minor but annoying issues. I guess I'll do a write-up after I finish.

Wynnebeck

Banned
Can someone gif the scene where
Lara slowly rises out of the river of blood?

I think that was the greatest looking part of the entire game, and that's saying a lot. It looked incredible, and well done.

First thing I thought when I saw that was, "Man the developers must really be fans of The Descent."

Haters; try and get some sleep. You have a full day tomorrow to copy and paste why this game keeps you up at night.

I have never seen a bunch of posters do their best to overthink every detail they can to derail this thread. The mechanics and everything else in the production, for all intents and purposes, weree implemeted very well. If you don't like it; it says more about your taste. We get it. Question is when you continue to linger to argue and denounce people who disagree with you when you could be playing another game that does please you, you have a problem; sorry.

I cannot fucking fathom all the "this shit doesnt happen in real life" posts in a videogame thread. Truly remarkably unbelievable.

You might need to go to sleep man. You are approaching meltdown status over opinions of a game. If you enjoyed it then that should be the only thing that matters to you. Did YOU find value in it?

Seance

Banned
Is there a save file for just after the part where Jonah is given the block and tackle? Can't be bothered starting over at this point.

Nilaul

Did I miss the explanation why the
Fortress is apparently sitting on top of molten lava and it starts to all cave in?

Because living on top of an explosive volcano is cool; and makes life interesting for the princess as she learned to enjoy every day as it might be her last because she never knew when she would be blown to peaces by lava and rocks.

For the record, the only reason I'm still here is because I haven't beaten the game yet, and this seems to be where the cool kids are

Yeah I haven't beat it yet either.

Because living on top of an explosive volcano is cool; and makes life interesting for the princess as she learned to enjoy every day as it might be her last because she never knew when she would be blown to peaces by lava and rocks.

Ha I like it.

I suppose I did not have to word it the way I did. As I actually love the first two Uncharted titles (did not care for 3). I have just heard so many rip this game as some sort of rip off, when it is really not and offers so much more than Uncharted at a gameplay level. That is all I meant and I think they are both superb for what they bring to the table. But as far as adventure games go, I do prefer this to the full-on linear design and sticky gameplay of Uncharted.

Yeah I can understand that.

zychi

Banned
Beat it. Loved it. Glad my original thoughts on the intro were wrong. Stupid Steam only unlocked two achievements for me, the last main story one, and 25% GPS. No idea how to go about fixing it. Finished with 8x%. I doubt I'll ever go back for the collectibles.

edit:
and with a restart: all the single player achievements unlocked. hmmm

Wynnebeck

Banned
Considering I have posted on this thread no more than a handful of times and have skimmed through multiple negative posts by others, i find your assessment completely laughable. I don't see the value of making repeated negative posts. I hate eating raw eggs but i don't complain about it.

Why laughable? You are getting upset with people's opinions just because you think they are repeatedly bringing them up. What do you want us to do? Not talk about the game and act as if nothing is wrong with it? I'm done talking about people complaining.

Haters; try and get some sleep. You have a full day tomorrow to copy and paste why this game keeps you up at night.

I have never seen a bunch of posters do their best to overthink every detail they can to derail this thread. The mechanics and everything else in the production, for all intents and purposes, weree implemeted very well. If you don't like it; it says more about your taste. We get it. Question is when you continue to linger to argue and denounce people who disagree with you when you could be playing another game that does please you, you have a problem; sorry.

I cannot fucking fathom all the "this shit doesnt happen in real life" posts in a videogame thread. Truly remarkably unbelievable.
Lol, it's not that serious. As much fun as I've had with the game, there are many flaws and valid criticisms that many have discussed; the thread doesn't have to be a strictly positive circle jerk. No one seems to be saying the game is terrible; views are mostly positive.

GeoramA

Just got to the
snowy part, near the radio tower.
Having a blast playing this game. The level design is just so freaking good.

Lara has such a keen survival instinct she forgets to put on a bloody jacket, or even fashion a jumper out of stray tarp and flags. She can polish the barrels of guns, add padded stocks and completely fashion new weapons from spare parts. but she can't slap together a decent coverall jacket.
Then again they have to shove her boobs in your face somehow. Like that opening cinematic where it's supposed to be a perilous fall and all emotional yet her cleavage is right there nullifying any sense of emotion I could have had.

MG310

Do want to try out the Hitman Absolution weapons though...didn't know that was even a thing until I saw the voucher in the box.

Grisby

Man, MP is so hilariously designed/broken. It really feels like a team's first learning deal with multiplayer. Spawning is a bit whacked and some teams can just stay and camp in their main spawn points.

It's still UC MP at it's core and some of the maps are way more vertically designed. I'm having some fun and they hand out the xp like candy.

Bladenic

Stopped after doing a few things at
Mountain Village
. Really loving it so far. The area and map design are stellar. The best part is that the areas are pretty wide open and fun to explore and find stuff. Loving the bow. And holy shit this game is gorgeous. SE/Eidos definitely went all out in terms of budget.

scitek

As for Tomb Raider: I had fun with it. I didn't stop having fun with it. I never wanted to stop playing; I never got bored and started looking at Facebook on my phone. It's rare that I can say that about games these days. I'm not looking at it to be some deep and meaningful piece of art. I wanted to be entertained and the game delivered.

You know what? Good. I'm always glad when someone feels this way about any game, no matter if I agree with it or not. Who the fuck am I to tell someone what's good for them? I can only speak for myself, and despite my disagreeing with you, I'm glad you had such a great time with the game.

SmithnCo

Man, MP is so hilariously designed/broken. It really feels like a team's first learning deal with multiplayer. Spawning is a bit whacked and some teams can just stay and camp in their main spawn points.

Yep, spawn-on-friend and some of the treasure spawns are straight-up broken. Sometimes on certain maps the treasure spawns pretty much right next to the ring. It was also better in Uncharted IMO where both teams were vying for the treasure instead of this different objectives stuff.

I think a horde mode would've been cool though, or any co-op multi.

All good. Didn't mean to ruffle feathers.

Now, on-topic: here's whats interesting to me; after playing this, i'm compelled to go back and play uncharted 2 specifically. Why? I wasn't a fan of it. I felt it was pretentious, love itself a bit too much, the gunplay was great but the exploring not so much...i can't put my finger on it but i never got it.

So i play this with its dark tones and moody approach and despite its demeanor, i can accept its abrsudities (what little of it i pay attention to) and im wondering why i have a higher tolerance for it with tomb raider than with uncharted.

That's really interesting because Uncharted makes it very clear were dealing with Hollywood blockbuster pop serial inspiration and even within that it try's to give you set pieces that are fantastic but make sense within the framework.

TR is the total opposite. It tells me its a story about survival grounded In a more realistic setting. All the PR pushed that idea so amidst that expectation the story really stands out in a bad way for me and the set pieces as well. They definitely come across as ideas that were shoe horned in for no reason. I think the game is at its strongest when you take the supporting characters, awful QTEs and the set pieces out.

I beat the game entirely using the bows, except when the game forces you to use a gun in QTEs

I'm doing the same thing. The combat is much more fun with the bow.

hitmon

Just completed the story. Thought the game was enjoyable overall. If they got rid of the QTEs, this game would have been better. So many deaths from QTEs alone. I look forward to a sequel if they do one. Also thought the voice acting was pretty good.

Just beat it with 100%. If not for being obsessive about collectibles in games, I'm not sure I would have collected everything. There is literally no point aside from some XP, but that is pretty useless as well considering you can easily headshot every enemy. Still, that is where I derived the most fun, wandering around the hubs and whatnot, not during the actual story missions. Set pieces try to be awesome like Uncharted's, but it just amounts to everything falling apart. Seriously, does anyone have an exact count of the times Lara falls from something breaking apart? And "A survivor is born"? What exactly did I do to survive except kill a bunch of people? I thought I'd have to hunt over the course of the game and take shelter in places, but no, Lara is a machine. Also, the tombs are way too simple but I liked them if only because I enjoy solving puzzles more than shooting and pressing forward. Didn't like all the white rope stuff, it's so jarring considering the game is trying to be edgy and realistic (aside from the supernatural stuff).

All that said, I still enjoyed the game in a mindless sort of way and would welcome a sequel that improves on everything. Feels like a case of AC1, CD got the base right but needs to make an actual game around it. I'd want more Metroidvania elements.

Grisby

Yep, spawn-on-friend and some of the treasure spawns are straight-up broken. Sometimes on certain maps the treasure spawns pretty much right next to the ring. It was also better in Uncharted IMO where both teams were vying for the treasure instead of this different objectives stuff.

I think a horde mode would've been cool though, or any co-op multi.
Yep, some co-op stuff would have been fun. Those were some of my favorite times with Uncharted's MP.

This game is kind of fun because you'd really never experience this type of spawn camping in a AAA MP game. I'll drop it when Gears comes out soonish but it's giving me a few dollars more of entertainment.

En-ou

just came to say this game is FUCKING awesome, especially in 3D. really digging the art direction and graphics. cant believe my 560 ti is pulling this shit off in 3D.

Jarmel

Banned

People really hate their circle jerks being interrupted.

Top Bottom