• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Derrick01

Banned
Asking for anything that requires thought in a AAA action game just isn't going to happen guys. I wouldn't be surprised if they ditch the optional tombs entirely in the next game.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
What is there to get ?

Uncharted_Drake%27s_Fortune.jpg

The set pieces were amazing and there was a great balance with the amount of enemies tghat you fought. Especially with the incentive that each kill in the game gave you.

I dug the whole idea of the optional tombs.

The whole experience as a whole was beyond anything Tomb Raider has ever accomplished.

I am literally laughing at how people are pretending that Set pieces and fighting enemies suddenly suck after Uncharted was the epitome of what action adventure was supposed to be.

Give me Tomb Raider 2 Crystal and I'm there day one.

In my opinion, the series has officially been rebooted to a status that it hasnt seen in a longtime.

Just finished last night and I completely agree.
Really impressed all around... and it's exciting to know the next game should hopefully have some next-gen awesomeness.

I hope (light sequel speculation, but spoilering just in case)
for Tomb Raider 2 it's a few years down the line and Lara is much more seasoned, going full on tomb exploring. Not sure if we are ready for the explorable Croft mansion, creepy butler, and all of that shit yet, but now I'm really looking forward to where they go from here.

Hagi

People keep saying this, or hoping for more tombs, but I wonder why anybody thinks this would actually happen. If this game is successful, isn't it far more likely they'll dial it up to 11 with the set pieces and combat? Afterall, apparently we didn't want tombs and puzzles, hence this reboot, but we do want tons of set pieces and waves of enemies.

Personally I don't think it'll happen which is why i said "i can't see it happening." The AAA goggles are firmly on for this franchise i think.

I am literally laughing at how people are pretending that Set pieces and fighting enemies suddenly suck after Uncharted was the epitome of what action adventure was supposed to be.

I am literally laughing that you think that everyone loves Uncharted and it's bombastic set pieces and wave after wave of enemies.

ironcreed

Banned
The set pieces were amazing and there was a great balance with the amount of enemies tghat you fought. Especially with the incentive that each kill in the game gave you.

The whole experience as a whole was beyond anything Tomb Raider has ever accomplished.

In my opinion, the series has officially been rebooted to a status that it hasnt seen in a longtime.

Pretty much agree with you. Only thing I want them to tone down a bit are the quick time events, but even those were implemented rather well as far as quick time events go. It is still a quantum leap beyond anything the series has ever been. Especially in regards to the shitty controls and camera that made the platforming more of a pain to play, rather than difficult to execute.

Yes, the platforming is easier overall and it is lighter on puzzles, but I'll take a more polished game with killer controls any day and I sure as hell can't hate a game for putting me in amazing set pieces that put a smile on my face. It's called entertainment. Couple that with fun gameplay, top notch presentation, superb level design, a lovable Lara that I can take more seriously and silky controls, and it's all gravy. It's a great game.

Dahbomb

100.jpg

Don't think I will be touching this game again for a long time. I have all the single player achievements and the MP is not worth the time/effort to get achievements for.

I liked the game in a 7-8/10 way. I feel it's similar to AC1 in for that the concept and production values are there but the execution was a bit off. A sequel can be a great thing for TR like AC2 or like AC3 could just amplify the problems even more.

And please delete GPS Caches from the next game. Most inane collectible in recent memory. By the way for those asking what you get for getting all the GPS's, you get like 1000+ Salvage points. Completing every Journal or Relic set gives you 500 EXPs. I finished with all skills unlocked with at least a couple of skill points still available (that I can't use) but it took a lot more animal/enemy kills to get to the salvage points needed to upgrade all the weapons.

Finished the game over the weekend and I absolutely loved it. I haven't played Uncharted or any of the old Tomb Raider games for that matter so I can't compare it. The things that really stood out for me where the inclusion of stealth, the seamless cover system, and the HUD. I can't express how much I love games with minimal HUD's. Far Cry 2 and Dead Space are two other examples and those games look amazing. Between this game and Metal Gear RR, it's been a damn good few weeks.

RagnarokX

Pretty much agree with you. Only thing I want them to tone down a bit are the quick time events, but even those were implemented rather well as far as quick time events go. It is still a quantum leap beyond anything the series has ever been. Especially in regards to the shitty controls and camera that made the platforming more of a pain to play, rather than difficult to execute.

Yes, the platforming is easier overall and it is lighter on puzzles, but I'll take a more polished game with killer controls any day and I sure as hell can't hate a game for putting me in amazing set pieces that put a smile on my face. It's called entertainment. Couple that with fun gameplay, top notch presentation, superb level design, a lovable Lara that I can take more seriously and silky controls, and it's all gravy. It's a great game.

Polish is meaningless without the substance to back it up. It's like owning a really shiny car that you're never allowed to drive. You have this wonderful environment concept and you very rarely get to interact with it in a meaningful way; either you climb around it in a super obvious and impossible to fail path or shit starts to fall apart and you run/jump/climb down an obvious and impossible to fail path. When you do fail while platforming it's never your fault; the game fucks up or something pops up that you would have needed psychic powers to have gotten on the first try.

How is this Lara more serious? They're pretty much the same character, only this one has character building shoehorned on her that doesn't actually build her character beyond what she is at the start of the game other than making her less skeptical and more homicidal. She was already an adventurer before the game and she already had survival training; this was just her first bout with killing and supernatural elements. Plus she couldn't figure out the plot until right before the end and survives much more ridiculous situations. I don't mind this Lara, but more serious she is not. Hell, if she was more serious there wouldn't be a sequel. Nobody would go through what they do in this game and say "I want more."

LQX

Completed(@ 87%) it last night. Amazing game/fun from beginning to end. Outs chart Uncharted IMO in a few ways and I fucking love Uncharted. Controls are super tight, gun handling and mechanisms are amazing and damn near better than most FPS. Every single Tomb Raider mechanic is refined and improved in a way that makes sense.

The sole criticisms I will give it is that it's light on the Tomb Raiding and finding stupid GPS caches were overall meaningless but that is something I kind of think should be overlooked considering this story kind of marks the beginning. You see the potential and by the end you will believe. I do not believe anyone that says they are fan of Tomb Raider yet does not see the potential in this spawning some amazing future Tomb Raider titles.

Amazing game.

Personally I don't think it'll happen which is why i said "i can't see it happening." The AAA goggles are firmly on for this franchise i think.

I am literally laughing that you think that everyone loves Uncharted and it's bombastic set pieces and wave after wave of enemies.

Uncharted 2 is universally praised as the best game the PS3 has to offer. Almost everyone loves it. Not sure what you're trying to get at here - is it suddenly cool to hate on good games?

Skilletor

Completed(@ 87%) it last night. Amazing game/fun from beginning to end. Outs chart Uncharted IMO in a few ways and I fucking love Uncharted. Controls are super tight, gun handling and mechanisms are amazing and damn near better than most FPS. Every single Tomb Raider mechanic is refined and improved in a way that makes sense.

The sole criticisms I will give it is that it's light on the Tomb Raiding and finding stupid GPS caches were overall meaningless but that is something I kind of think should be overlooked considering this story kind of marks the beginning. You see the potential and by the end you will believe. I do not believe anyone that says they are fan of Tomb Raider yet does not see the potential in this spawning some amazing future Tomb Raider titles.

Amazing game.

Really? You don't see how a fan of traditional tomb raiders would be skeptical at any future releases given how they made "tombs" one room with a brain dead easy puzzle, did everything they could to make sure you couldn't miss any secrets, made platforming secondary to combat, made set pieces far more prevalent, put the focus on the narrative instead of the gameplay?

After I'm done with this game, I'm done with this series. I hung around because people kept saying, OF COURSE THE GAME WILL HAVE TOMBS AND PUZZLES AND PLATFORMING.

Where's Harlequin, because that was absolutely wrong.

Uncharted 2 is universally praised as the best game the PS3 has to offer. Almost everyone loves it. Not sure what you're trying to get at here - is it suddenly cool to hate on good games?

I think Uncharted is boring. I couldn't care less about a cinematic "experience." Opinions and all that. It's not "hating" to dislike a game.

Yeah the sequel could be something special. Set pieces are awful though, truly awful. They are almost always PRESS FORWARD AND SPAM THE JUMP BUTTON! Only game that did great set pieces imo outside of the UC games is Dead Space 2.

100.jpg

Don't think I will be touching this game again for a long time. I have all the single player achievements and the MP is not worth the time/effort to get achievements for.

I liked the game in a 7-8/10 way. I feel it's similar to AC1 in for that the concept and production values are there but the execution was a bit off. A sequel can be a great thing for TR like AC2 or like AC3 could just amplify the problems even more.

And please delete GPS Caches from the next game. Most inane collectible in recent memory. By the way for those asking what you get for getting all the GPS's, you get like 1000+ Salvage points. Completing every Journal or Relic set gives you 500 EXPs. I finished with all skills unlocked with at least a couple of skill points still available (that I can't use) but it took a lot more animal/enemy kills to get to the salvage points needed to upgrade all the weapons.

Thats a great point. I feel the same way now that I think about it.

Finished it Sunday night after playing pretty much playing nonstop from Friday night. Absolutely loved the game and was overly impressed. It's a shame they ruined the trophies/achievements with silly online shit, otherwise I'd definitely go for the platinum.

Having completed the game at 100% on Hard on my first run, I am now doing a second run with the Aviatrix outfit on Normal where I ignore all collectibles and just go through the story at my own pace. I think this might have been the best way to play the game on my first run, since I'm actually having more fun and not feeling as disconnected with the plot as when I was running around collecting mushrooms and picking up relics.

One thing this game is inferior to Uncharted in is the wetness tech for clothes. When Drake jumps in water you can tell that his clothes are all soggy, but Lara doesn't have that same kind of effect, it's just a lame color change for her outfit. As far as I can tell, her Aviatrix outfit doesn't even get wet at all.

Lol, I noticed that too. Let alone the mud caked on her never goes away.

RagnarokX

Amazing game.

The problem is that potential is not a game. There is potential here, but I'm not going to raise my impressions of this game based on what they could build on from here. They should have done more with this game. Just because I can imagine a good Tomb Raider game made from the base they've built here doesn't mean they will deliver; and I think it's more likely that they will just deliver a similarly experience to this one. This is not the first Tomb Raider game and it's not Crystal Dynamics' first Tomb Raider game, and in many ways it's a regression for the series.

I do not believe anyone that says they are fan of Tomb Raider yet does not see the potential in this spawning some amazing future Tomb Raider titles.

All I see is a series that will probably stray even farther from what it used to be with the next game. Like Derrick said, I wouldn't be surprised if Optional Rooms are removed entirely in the sequel as all the set pieces get pushed to 11 and suddenly "experienced" Lara is capable of mowing down even more enemies.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think this series is ever going to go full-bore action. It will probably try to hew close to whatever line Uncharted is setting in cinematic set pieces, while also mixing in some open ended exploration through hub areas. Personally I like this formula.

I also don't see them getting rid of tombs since that's one of the few things people universally liked about this game (the presence of the tombs I mean...their
lack of
difficulty is another story).

thanks Eidos for this super awesome game

took me 2 hours to find the last mine in the beach area

Haha, the mines were the easiest for me, I found them all while playing through the story missions. It was the damn mushrooms that pissed me off.

ironcreed

Banned
Polish is meaningless without the substance to back it up. It's like owning a really shiny car that you're never allowed to drive. You have this wonderful environment concept and you very rarely get to interact with it in a meaningful way; either you climb around it in a super obvious and impossible to fail path or shit starts to fall apart and you run/jump/climb down an obvious and impossible to fail path. When you do fail while platforming it's never your fault; the game fucks up or something pops up that you would have needed psychic powers to have gotten on the first try.

How is this Lara more serious? They're pretty much the same character, only this one has character building shoehorned on her that doesn't actually build her character beyond what she is at the start of the game other than making her less skeptical and more homicidal. She was already an adventurer before the game and she already had survival training; this was just her first bout with killing and supernatural elements. Plus she couldn't figure out the plot until right before the end and survives much more ridiculous situations. I don't mind this Lara, but more serious she is not. Hell, if she was more serious there wouldn't be a sequel. Nobody would go through what they do in this game and say "I want more."

Without going into elaborate detail and over analyzing everything, I simply think the game has great level design, it is fun to play because the controls are actually not a mess anymore and the presentation is top notch. I don't need every game to be some mentally stimulating exercise. I just love games, and there is room for all kinds of them in my life.

Why do I take Lara more seriously now? For one, she does not look like an over sexualized cartoon character anymore. Secondly, she comes across as more of a real personality at her core being and I appreciate that. In short, it plays better than ever, it looks better than ever and has an overall tone that I find more appealing. I love the game, so sue me. *shrugs*

I'm over 75% through the game right now and I'm surprised how few
optional tombs
are in the game as I had the achievement pop last night. Not mention that none of them had any puzzle solving challenge, save for the
tomb with electrified water.
But overall I'm still digging the game. Looking forward to completing it either tonight or tomorrow.

Skilletor

optional tombs
are in the game as I had the achievement pop last night. Not mention that none of them had any puzzle solving challenge, save for the
But overall I'm still digging the game. Looking forward to completing it either tonight or tomorrow.

Yeah, that one had me stumped for a minute. Felt good, man.

Mindman

Without going into elaborate detail and over analyzing everything, I simply think the game has great level design, it is fun to play because the controls are actually not a mess anymore and the presentation is top notch. I don't need every game to be some mentally stimulating exercise. I just love games, and there is room for all kinds of them in my life.

Why do I take Lara more seriously now? For one, she does not look like an over sexualized cartoon character anymore. Secondly, she comes across as more of a real personality at her core being and I appreciate that. In short, it plays better than ever, it looks better than ever and has an overall tone that I find more appealing. I love the game, so sue me. *shrugs*

Very well said, and I agree.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
optional tombs

Really? That was one of the easiest ones for me. The one that really stumped me was the one with the
moat and the buoy,
mainly because I couldn't get the timing of the jumps right so I thought I must have been missing something.

DEADEVIL

Yeah the sequel could be something special. Set pieces are awful though, truly awful. They are almost always PRESS FORWARD AND SPAM THE JUMP BUTTON! Only game that did great set pieces imo outside of the UC games is Dead Space 2

Not sure what game you played, but the one I played the set pieces were amazing.

There were set pieces that were forward, backwards, up, and down. So now the new complaints are that when you push buttons to jump. it's called Spamming the jump button?

Did you watch them on Youtube or did you actually play them?

It again proves my theory that I mentioned earlier when people literally say only UC and Dead Space had great set pieces, but Tomb Raider's were 'truly aweful'.

IMO the set pieces were a blast and were only a small part of the package. There was so much more that made up the entirety this game experience.

Again, as a Tomb Raider fan, who also loved every Uncharted, I couldn't be happier with the experience. It was absolutely worth the 60 dollar price of admission.

Bravo to Crystal Dynamics for bringing the one element that has been missing from some of the bigger games as of late and that's straight up fun from the beginning till the credits began.

RagnarokX

Really? That was one of the easiest ones for me. The one that really stumped me was the one with the
moat and the buoy,
mainly because I couldn't get the timing of the jumps right so I thought I must have been missing something.

I figured that one out pretty quick. The one with
electrified water
took me longer to figure out because that empty room was throwing me off.

Not sure what game you played, but the one I played the set pieces were amazing.

There were set pieces that were forward, backwards, up, and down. So now the new complaints are that when you push buttons to jump. it's called Spamming the jump button?

It again proves my theory that I mentioned earlier when people literally say only UC and Dead Space had great set pieces, but Tomb Raider's were 'truly aweful'.

Again, as a Tomb Raider fan, who also loved every Uncharted, I couldn't be happier with the experience. It was absolutely worth the 60 dollar price of admission.
They look nice, but they take no skill at all. You can say "You're playing the game! You press buttons!" But the quality and quantity of what you're doing with those buttons is low.

Yasir

I went in expecting Uncharted and I found Far Cry 3/Arkham City. It's not really comparable to uncharted, but I'm loving it. Thus far excellent.

SmithnCo

The
electric water
tomb threw me off a little, but the rest were all pretty fast and easy. It is nice that even for little tombs they do look great visually.

Bravo sir. Glad to see others can just straight up enjoy games and not look at them as if they are some "Ebert of gaming". I pretty much play every major release out there plus odd ball indie games, etc. I don't know what I would do if I had this over analyze mentality. Power to the people that do but I'd sure think of gaming in a whole negative way if that was the case.

I went in expecting Uncharted and I found Far Cry 3/Arkham City. It's not really comparable to uncharted, but I'm loving it. Thus far excellent.
Well, that's it, I've gotta play this now. Been hearing there's some light metroidvania in TR. and I loved all three UC games, so...

Skilletor

Bravo sir. Glad to see others can just straight up enjoy games and not look at them as if they are some "Ebert of gaming". I pretty much play every major release out there plus odd ball indie games, etc. I don't know what I would do if I had this over analyze mentality. Power to the people that do but I'd sure think of gaming in a whole negative way if that was the case.

I have this mentality as well. I just don't want to apply it to Tomb Raider. I have other games that fit the bill for that.

Skilletor

Why does there even have to be a bill to fit? :p Think about it!

Because it's a franchise that I've played for a particular reason.

And even if it weren't Tomb Raider, I still do not care for waves of enemies, lack of challenge, shitty puzzles, and boring set pieces.

I don't ever play games just to "go along for the ride." The interactivity is the sole reason I'm playing a videogame. If there isn't some sort of challenge, then I'd rather watch a movie or read a book.

did anyone else run into the glitch right after you get the rope ascender?

Holy shit what a pain in the ass.
Fortunately there was a counter-glitch fix on YouTube, but damn... how the hell would someone figure that out on their own? :p

RagnarokX

This game is not a new IP. It's dumbing down something that people enjoy. I don't get celebrating mediocrity. Why wouldn't you want something more especially when previous games in the franchise had what people are asking for? It's like getting a hamburger when you wanted a cheeseburger and people getting upset at you because cheese isn't as important to them as the shiny new box the burger came in.

This game is not a new IP. It's dumbing down something that people enjoy. I don't get celebrating mediocrity. Why wouldn't you want something more especially when previous games in the franchise had what people are asking for? It's like getting a hamburger when you wanted a cheeseburger and people getting upset at you because cheese isn't as important to them as the shiny new box the burger came in.

Not going to change my viewpoint on the game. Regardless of the changes being a long time Tomb Raider fan, I just don't get bent out of shape because of it. I rememer I was extremely upset about RE4 changing from the classic RE games. I finally got over it. I don't have time for that. And if you think Tomb Raider is mediocrity, then I'm sorry. It was some of the most enthralling, can't stop playing mediocrity I've played so far this year.

As someone still only just past halfway through this and rapidly losing patience with it, the only way they could make a sequel work for me:

• Making it about raiding tombs might be nice.
  • Replace ubiquitous shit combat with ubiquitous puzzles. The early games had shit combat too. But they had puzzles. Decent ones too. Something more complicated than Angry Birds or lighting everything on fire would be just super.
  • Location spoiler -
    When I first walked into the Chasm Monastery stairway, I was impressed. It captured my imagination. 3 or 4 sets of hold forward or mash X platforming later, it was ruined. The bell part? That part was pretty neat. Make more parts like the bell part. Make the platforming challenging. Make the player have to time jumps to avoid gusts of wind, or dodge to avoid flying debris or something, anything.
    Fuck your shallow setpiece. The first time I walked into St. Francis' Folly and looked down? Now that was a fucking setpiece. You know why it holds power even now when the old games look a bit shit? Because you look down in New Tomb Raider and you know that it's either nothing but wallpaper (Go on, jump and prove it to yourself. I did. There's nothing down there but fog and an autodeath), or if it's actually part of the level, there's gonna be some middling platforming, or worse an on-rails sequence or cutscene to get you down there. You look down in Old Tomb Raider, and you don't have a clue how you're gonna get down there or what's waiting for you, every experiment could kill you, and it only reveals itself to you one step at a time.
  • More supernatural enemies that require unique ways to kill them. Fuck 20 waves of commando dudes with heads poking above crates. And not some bullet sponge big brute either, more like a Team Ico Colossus. Give it a weak point, or make a puzzle where you have use a trap to kill it. 10 or 12 good, tough enemies with completely unique ways they must be defeated would fix 80% of what I hate about the combat in this game.
  • I'd prefer an orchestrated soundtrack with atmospheric compositions. I'm sure the guy they have doing the OST for this is a great guy with a lot of talent, but this particular soundtrack is just completely forgettable incidental filler.
  • Did I mention making it about raiding tombs might be nice?

IMO the set pieces were a blast and were only a small part of the package. There was so much more that made up the entirety this game experience.

Bravo to Crystal Dynamics for bringing the one element that has been missing from some of the bigger games as of late and that's straight up fun from the beginning till the credits began.

I missed your theory. The set pieces aren't good bro, I am glad you liked them but from a mechanic point of view they just are not well put together. Also when I say spamming the jump button that is literally all you do in 2 of the longer - OMG another platform,bridge,walkway is breaking all around me JUMP JUMP JUMP!

Skilletor

Not going to change my viewpoint on the game. Regardless of the changes being a long time Tomb Raider fan, I just don't get bent out of shape because of it. I rememer I was extremely upset about RE4 changing from the classic RE games. I finally got over it. I don't have time for that. And if you think Tomb Raider is mediocrity, then I'm sorry. It was some of the most enthralling, can't stop playing mediocrity I've played so far this year.

Opinions! :D

RagnarokX

The platforming and majority of puzzles were mediocre. Moderate quality. That might be too positive for describing the platforming. The set pieces and graphics looked great, but I want substance WITH my style, and the few stealth combat sections were good. The enemy wave combat was terrible, and the story was all over the place and ultimately anticlimactic.

Hagi

Does having a differing opinion qualify as hating? I dont think it does and i'm sorry but the vocal majority don't influence my personal opinions.

I actually like Uncharted by the way, well the first one. :p

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the actual OST and voice-acting aside (I thought they were fine, for the record), I'd just like to give another shout-out to the audio team. I really, really liked the way sound was used in this game.

Dead

well not really...yet
Pretty much the bolded. Its not worth it. If I was younger maybe id still care, but not at this stage. As long as it plays well, and Tomb Raider sure as fuck does, I really dont care how different it is from the originals. Remove puzzles entirely for all I care, as long as the core gameplay they choose to focus on succeeds.

the actual OST and voice-acting aside (I thought they were fine, for the record), I'd just like to give another shout-out to the audio team. I really, really liked the way sound was used in this game.

Yeah the sound design is really great. Lots of great little atmospheric touches.

Top Bottom