• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

So I finished the game and now I'm going through to collect everything.

I'm in the first big area of the game. One set of collectibles is these little things hanging from trees and you shoot them.

I have the skill where you can
See collectibles through walls
, but it's not helping much here. Everything else is marked on the map except for these things. Is there any effective / efficient way to approach collecting these?
In general they're always placed near interesting clutter or structures, and never just kindof hanging in the middle of nowhere. Look for monuments and structures and then use survival instinct, but beware that some aren't visible from high ground.

Yeah, I'm feeling the bow love now, but I still dig my shotgun.

Start of Shantytown combat spoilers:

So I was starting to get irritated here, until I realized you can jump down over the rail right at the start of the firefight, run left and shotgun through a wall, then take out like 8 guys the back way really easily. Then you can climb up onto the wall, jump down behind the helicopter where you walked up while injured, and pick off another 8 dudes through the fence until the game lets you use the base camp.

Maybe this is how everyone else does it too, but I thought I'd offer some more cheese if it might help someone.

sdornan

Just finished it. Something about the message at the beginning of the credits really got to me:

"We hope you have enjoyed playing Tomb Raider. We have worked our hardest to bring you the best game we could possibly make. Thank you for taking the time to complete our game."

A very simple message, to be sure, but the humbleness of it was touching. Also, it was quite cool that they listed all those TR fan sites.

antitrop

Just finished it. Something about the message at the beginning of the credits really got to me:

"We hope you have enjoyed playing Tomb Raider. We have worked our hardest to bring you the best game we could possibly make. Thank you for taking the time to complete our game."

A very simple message, to be sure, but the humbleness of it was touching. Also, it was quite cool that they listed all those TR fan sites.
I felt the same way, that was really cool.

I gave my monitor a thumbs up.

imtehman

Banned

seriously! i think thats the first time i've seen that ever in any kind of games credits

Yeah, for all the criticisms we lob at it, you can't say they didn't put one hell of an effort into it. I look forward to their second attempt.

Yeah, Bungie put a similar message at the end of Halo: Reach about thanking the fans. Here is a super crappy pic of it. I really like it when done tastefully in game franchises with a long history.

I got teary eyed at the Bungie letter.

Yeah, for all the criticisms we lob at it, you can't say they didn't put one hell of an effort into it. I look forward to their second attempt.

Indeed. I have issues with the game but I think it's a talented studio that could really hit it out of the park with the sequel.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Just finished with 80% on Hard. Had a great time overall, and the game sets a great groundwork to expand upon for a sequel. Mainly, the optional tombs atleast being much larger though preferably a lot more involved and difficult on top of that. I had a blast with the combat(and some of the final stuff you go through was great) and the sheer amount of options you have. It all isn't balanced all that well, but I mostly avoided the AR. Switching between explosive bow shots to fire shotgun rounds to rolling towards the enemy to toss sand in their face, the game can be highly active and exciting.

For sure. This type of thing is always a nice gesture.

Ahasverus

It's certainly incredible that the port looks better than the development version.

Well, I finished it (Technically my boyfriend did, he took the controller at the very last moment of the game) and the ending was... very underwhelming.

TripOpt55

I tried the multiplayer and it feels kind of messy, but I still had fun. I kind of hate loadout based games where you have better weapons and stuff based on how much you played, but I never really felt overmatched against someone while playing though I wasn't really paying attention to ranks either, so maybe I didn't come across many high ranks. The spawn system is kind of messed up because of where the bases are on some maps. I wouldn't call the multiplayer good, but I wouldn't call it garbage either. I might play it here or there.

Ahasverus

I don't think I've seen anything like it either. Pretty cool

Lots of fighters have a "Thanks for playing" type of message but that's probably to do with their arcade roots

Yep. I couldn't resist but smile a little, those guys had my appreciation. They made an excellent game, after all. Hope all the work gets rewarded for them.

So after finishing the game on the 360 and now starting the game on the PS3 and playing it for about 5 hours, I think the PS3 version has the advantage folks.

The biggest difference that you’ll notice is the colour difference. The PS3 version seems like how the game should look. The 360 version is overall much more darker......but it also has more vibrant colours – the embers from fire stick out more and look more colourful on the 360 for example. On the PS3 it almost looks washed out in comparison, but at the same time I’m picking up on a lot more things I couldn’t even see when I played it on the 360, like the gritty detail of the face of the guy when Lara shoots her first kill - or seeing a wolf scurry past you in the wolf den when retrieving the medi-pack for Roth......I did have some problems with the game being too dark on the 360 – so overall this is a positive. It will be interesting to see what the game looks like at the
beach
at night since it was almost impossible to see anything at times on the 360.

Also, the overall image quality is indeed better and it's definitely noticeable – especially in the cut-scenes. Everything just looks more detailed thanks to the image quality and the brighter contrast. The other plus I noticed is that instead of one optional language for the 360 version, you get a lot more here. The only negative I’ve found is that in the area after the temple gets burned down as you’re making your way up to the radio tower I noticed that the framerate did chug for a few seconds when I never noticed it to do that when I played that section on the 360.

Hmm I've been awfully tempted. No...damn you.. NOOOOOOOOOO

DO IT MAN! DOOOOOO ITTTTTT! You know you want to! **evil laugh**

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
So after finishing the game on the 360 and now starting the game on the PS3 and playing it for about 5 hours, I think the PS3 version has the advantage folks.

The biggest difference that you’ll notice is the colour difference. The PS3 version seems like how the game should look. The 360 version is overall much more darker......but it also has more vibrant colours – the embers from fire stick out more and look more colourful on the 360 for example. On the PS3 it almost looks washed out in comparison, but at the same time I’m picking up on a lot more things I couldn’t even see when I played it on the 360, like the gritty detail of the face of the guy when Lara shoots her first kill - or seeing a wolf scurry past you in the wolf den when retrieving the medi-pack for Roth......I did have some problems with the game being too dark on the 360 – so overall this is a positive. It will be interesting to see what the game looks like at the
beach
at night since it was almost impossible to see anything at times on the 360.

Also, the overall image quality is indeed better and it's definitely noticeable – especially in the cut-scenes. Everything just looks more detailed thanks to the image quality and the brighter contrast. The other plus I noticed is that instead of one optional language for the 360 version, you get a lot more here. The only negative I’ve found is that in the area after the temple gets burned down as you’re making your way up to the radio tower I noticed that the framerate did chug for a few seconds when I never noticed it to do that when I played that section on the 360.

DO IT MAN! DOOOOOO ITTTTTT! You know you want to! **evil laugh**

Good view Tricky but you should get a nice PC and play the superior version ;)

Also I agree about the thank you note on the credits. Outside Bungie I've not seen anything that nice and humble in most games. But I do agree they need to get rid of the QTEs and have the sequel be mainly open up for the player since that's when it is best played. I loved this game a lot though, I am just reflecting back how great the pacing and different enviroments there was. I would have to say the
WW2 bunker and research area
had the best vibes for me, and the best Tomb was by far the
electric research room
. So many good areas I can think off and that just shows that the game has a lot of good stuff going for it.

I can't think on anything memorable of the soundtrack through, outside its excellent sound design. They need to fix that up!

I want the sequel to have a more charismatic villain. Someone incredibly watchable that draws you into the conflict. If they wanna go with the more narrative-driven direction, we need a villain that you become absorbed with.

Also other stuff. But this is just what I was thinking about right at the moment.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I want the sequel to have a more charismatic villain. Someone incredibly watchable that draws you into the conflict. If they wanna go with the more narrative-driven direction, we need a villain that you become absorbed with.

Also other stuff. But this is just what I was thinking about right at the moment.

I actually thought the villain was not that bad, allthough there was a lot of things that felt felt undeveloped, but the whole documents really did add a nice amount of details for me. I did like how they were voiced too. Hell, this game felt in some ways an evolved version of some of Resident Evil mechanics (examining the items with additional information when you come across a mark of interest, and the voice over from the writer of the individual document) from past titles. I liked that little touch

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

I think this game in general would have benefited a good deal from a slower start. A trip around the endurance that lets you get acquainted with the crew that gets further expanded via the videos and documents later as normal, and more time around Sam and Mathias when he shows up.

GolazoDan

Did anyone ever tell Lara the definition of insanity?

ISLAND CROSSOVER MAKE IT HAPPEN.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
finished this yesterday.

super impressed with it. Current gen bells and whistles, but with the amount of enjoyable content last-gen games used to have. Say what you will about collectibles, but they prompted me to really take in the environments. It made them feel less static; more memorable.

I was least impressed with the game when it was doing the escape sequences, and most impressed during the quieter, navigation sequences. The combat was, well, super-easy even on hard for me, but it none of it felt offensive. It all felt right.

So, yeah, I wasn't expecting something with this much effort put into it. I'm really excited to see what they do with a sequel.

xenist

I actually paid attention to the credits after reading that instead of just keeping them running and glancing at them from time to time.

Still one of the best of all time. The original TR had one of the best soundtracks of any game and because the music was used so sparingly and only to punch home the excitement of a scene you can remember exactly where each of those moments happened.

Still get chills with the main theme

Hnnng. I remember that theme and the first time I ever saw TR being played. For some reason the original always feels more open and on a grand scale than modern games, even though in reality it isn't particularly grand. It just had a real feeling of adventure :)

Amir0x

Banned
Still one of the best of all time. The original TR had one of the best soundtracks of any game and because the music was used so sparingly and only to punch home the excitement of a scene you can remember exactly where each of those moments happened.

Still get chills with the main theme

yup, TR1 knew what was important about game design. Music in sole service to the lovingly crafted gameplay and level design, yet incredible with a strong sense of identity. Ahh, gaming, how I miss thee~

Wilbur

Banned
Games awesome so far. Just about to go after the wolf pack for Roth and really loving it. I'm pretty much a casual gamer so I don't give a shit about QTEs or XP for dropping off a ledge, or suspension of disbelief when it comes to her injuries considering in things like Uncharted or Skyrim your health just regenerated automatically after bullets and swords.

Presentation is great, graphics are great, it's exciting and tense and fun. Side characters aren't great but that's my only criticism so far.

Gyrian

Just finished it last night on PC, and I pretty much agree across the board with BruceLeeRoy's final breakdown a few posts behind.
I had a great amount of fun with it, but there's a lot of missed potential that stings.

Played almost exclusively with the bow and handgun with a couple of shotgun moments. It could be interesting if the handgun was the only firearm you had, saving double wield as a powerful but limited hard punch that you could use to empty both magazines on something(s) that needed to be taken down on a dime.

I will say, one thing that kept taking me out of it after a while: this island has more bodies per square inch than probably any location in any game I've played before. Nearly everywhere you look there are collections of skulls where it's mildest, then piles and piles of decaying bodies where it's at its worst. I'm used to seeing the dead as decoration in games, but this one has room after room that could make any genocide appear it hadn't tried hard enough.
And just when you start to think they might have passed their apex on this, you fall into that river of red, haha.

Fabrik

Banned
Just make the next one pure open world, ACII style.

More unlockables, better puzzles, but keep most of them optional (ie glyphs). Also further refine the combat, weapon and crafting system.

Please no. Platforming and "finding your way" are not working in a open-world environment. You need obstacles. Metroidvania is the way to go for me.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished it last night on PC, and I pretty much agree across the board with BruceLeeRoy's final breakdown a few posts behind.
I had a great amount of fun with it, but there's a lot of missed potential that stings.

Played almost exclusively with the bow and handgun with a couple of shotgun moments. It could be interesting if the handgun was the only firearm you had, saving double wield as a powerful but limited hard punch that you could use to empty both magazines on something(s) that needed to be taken down on a dime.

I will say, one thing that kept taking me out of it after a while: this island has more bodies per square inch than probably any location in any game I've played before. Nearly everywhere you look there are collections of skulls where it's mildest, then piles and piles of decaying bodies where it's at its worst. I'm used to seeing the dead as decoration in games, but this one has room after room that could make any genocide appear it hadn't tried hard enough.
And just when you start to think they might have passed their apex on this, you fall into that river of red, haha.

Well when you think about it,
people have been crashing on this island and getting trapped since the 1800s.

Gyrian

Well when you think about it,
people have been crashing on this island and getting trapped since the 1800s.

With a bodycount to make the Bermuda triangle jealous!
At the very beginning, there was a skull still wearing a conquistador helmet, too.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Having completed the game at 100% on Hard on my first run, I am now doing a second run with the Aviatrix outfit on Normal where I ignore all collectibles and just go through the story at my own pace. I think this might have been the best way to play the game on my first run, since I'm actually having more fun and not feeling as disconnected with the plot as when I was running around collecting mushrooms and picking up relics.

One thing this game is inferior to Uncharted in is the wetness tech for clothes. When Drake jumps in water you can tell that his clothes are all soggy, but Lara doesn't have that same kind of effect, it's just a lame color change for her outfit. As far as I can tell, her Aviatrix outfit doesn't even get wet at all.

DEADEVIL

Yeah literally finished this morning on the 360 and I loved the message in the credits as well.

Didn't realize there were so many fan sites for Tomb Raider, my god.

The overall experience made me want to stand up and applaud.

As a longtime Tomb Raider fan, this was just as good as it gets.

I can't wait for a sequel next gen. I hope they go to Naughty's two year cycle, but if it has this much quality oozing out of it, I will wait 3 years.

Bravo Crystal D.

Lime

Pretty good review by John Teti, just posting it in terms of showing a well-written one:

http://gameological.com/2013/03/review-tomb-raider/

Tomb Raider’s abundant work-up-a-froth moments exist to give the player something to do while pre-rendered events play out on screen. You have to frantically tap a button to pry open a door on account of the door-opening animation takes a while, so Tomb Raider needs to distract you a while. That’s a backward way to build a game, and it creates a laughably thin illusion of agency.

Sure, Tomb Raider is a serviceable distraction, and you could argue that it’s a mistake to expect more than a time-killer here. But even the makers of the game, or at least some of them, seem to expect that the final product would be more than pretty wallpaper for another typical shooter, some inoffensive puzzles, and contrived moments of empty “interaction.” I’d argue that it’s fair to hold the entire game up to the standard it sets with its story and setting, which bear the marks of soulful artists plying their craft. These successes infuse Tomb Raider with a spirit of growth and exploration—it’s too bad that we, the button-pressers, are deemed incapable of that same growth.

ced

Finished it last night.

Overall I certainly enjoyed it, and when I actually finish a game that says a lot.

I agree with a lot of people though, I'm getting sick of these games where there is very little use of your brain.

Ricker

I hope there is a camp with a fast travel just before the point of no return...? I dont plan on collecting everything but I do want to go back and try and find as much as possible but I know if I finish the game I wont bother after...I am like 75% in,just got to where I start seeing those bigger ropes that they tell me I am missing some gear to pull on them,including one that's a Tomb entrance...

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I hope there is a camp with a fast travel just before the point of no return...? I dont plan on collecting everything but I do want to go back and try and find as much as possible but I know if I finish the game I wont bother after...I am like 75% in,just got to where I start seeing those bigger ropes that they tell me I am missing some gear to pull on them,including one that's a Tomb entrance...

The point of no return is clearly mentioned to you when you reach it. It'll say something like, "Lara cannot fast travel after this camp."

prophecy0

There is a fast travel camp right at the point of no return. The game is very, very clear about this. You will get the missing equipment you need soon.

Buntabox

There needs to be another difficulty level. This game is a breeze on Hard.

Its a shame because controlling Lara feels good, but if you have an ounce of strategy in your head the fights are super easy. Hell, even if you don't just hide behind cover and get some health back. The AI doesn't really try to flank you unless its a melee enemy. It removes a lot of the tension from the firefights. If I just step back a little they will wait for me to get some health. How gentlemanly of them.

They give you lots of ways to tackle the fights in the game (all of the weapons have different attack modes), but I just ignored the shotgun/pistol upgrades entirely. The bow/AR/axe-skills are enough. Also, by ignoring the shotty/pistol upgrades I have more than enough salvage to immediately max the bow/AR when
the next unlock becomes available via cinematic or found parts.
This causes the weapons to be immediately overpowered for a short period it seems.

Hagi

DLC outfits? smh you'd think with all the collectibles they could have worked them together but easy money i suppose.

I'm right near the end now, game jumped of a steep cliff after the
shanty town
. I hope in the next game they dial down the set pieces and encounters for something more atmospheric but i can't see it happening. As for the supernatural aspect of the story i think it's pretty poorly implemented the
Oni
bring nothing different in terms of encounter, pretty much pallete swaps of the original enemies. It's ridiculous that Methias crew are so frightened when Lara just steam rolls through them. A shame really.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
But Lara is a survivor, of course she will emerge victorious. It's almost like the emotional weight of the story sailed straight over your head.

Skilletor

DLC outfits? smh you'd think with all the collectibles they could have worked them together but easy money i suppose.

I'm right near the end now, game jumped of a steep cliff after the
shanty town
. I hope in the next game they dial down the set pieces and encounters for something more atmospheric but i can't see it happening. As for the supernatural aspect of the story i think it's pretty poorly implemented the
Oni
bring nothing different in terms of encounter, pretty much pallete swaps of the original enemies. It's ridiculous that Methias crew are so frightened when Lara just steam rolls through them. A shame really.

People keep saying this, or hoping for more tombs, but I wonder why anybody thinks this would actually happen. If this game is successful, isn't it far more likely they'll dial it up to 11 with the set pieces and combat? Afterall, apparently we didn't want tombs and puzzles, hence this reboot, but we do want tons of set pieces and waves of enemies.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
You'll probably see the optional tombs become more involved, and then maybe you'll get 2 or 3 puzzles as part of the main narrative. I doubt the main campaign will become more puzzle oriented, definitely nowhere near the rest of CD's TR games.

DEADEVIL

People keep saying this, or hoping for more tombs, but I wonder why anybody thinks this would actually happen. If this game is successful, isn't it far more likely they'll dial it up to 11 with the set pieces and combat? Afterall, apparently we didn't want tombs and puzzles, hence this reboot, but we do want tons of set pieces and waves of enemies.

The set pieces were amazing and there was a great balance with the amount of enemies tghat you fought. Especially with the incentive that each kill in the game gave you.

I dug the whole idea of the optional tombs.

The whole experience as a whole was beyond anything Tomb Raider has ever accomplished.

I am literally laughing at how people are pretending that Set pieces and fighting enemies suddenly suck after Uncharted was the epitome of what action adventure was supposed to be.

Give me Tomb Raider 2 Crystal and I'm there day one.

In my opinion, the series has officially been rebooted to a status that it hasnt seen in a longtime.

Skilletor

The set pieces were amazing and there was a great balance with the amount of enemies tghat you fought. Especially with the incentive that each kill in the game gave you.

I dug the whole idea of the optional tombs.

The whole experience as a whole was beyond anything Tomb Raider has ever accomplished.

I am literally laughing at how people are pretending that Set pieces and fighting enemies suddenly suck after Uncharted was the epitome of what action adventure was supposed to be.

Give me Tomb Raider 2 Crystal and I'm there day one.

In my opinion, the series has officially been rebooted to a status that it hasnt seen in a longtime.

Except...I hate Uncharted, set pieces, and waves of enemies.

Top Bottom