• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

nib95

Banned
Whatever you do Nib don't resort to using the Assault Rifle. Ruins the combat.

I'm going to try and stick to the bow. Feels more survival esque and fun that way. Maybe pistol or shotgun tops, but the notion of an assault rifle does not sound like it'd fit well with the game, unless of course it turns Gears of War/Uncharted mass killing mode later.

Maybe if you had a shotgun like Lara, you could break down all the barriers in your life. Like the one stopping you from giving this game a 10/10!

I was joking

Haha I do need a shotgun for that.

I'm going to try and stick to the bow. Feels more survival esque and fun that way. Maybe pistol or shotgun tops, but the notion of an assault rifle does not sound like it'd fit well with the game, unless of course it turns Gears of War/Uncharted mass killing mode later.

Good man. You will enjoy the combat quite a bit more.

Tigel

-Get a new music director. I honestly cant remember one song from the game and there isn't even one I could say is the theme for the game.

There's clearly a main theme that is repeated several times and with different variations during the course of the game. I agree that the rest of the score is pretty unmemorable (maybe except the taiko drums piece during the
battle with the onis
near the end of the game.

plainr_

Damn it, I'm so dumb. I was trying to figure out how to let go of the rope for a good 2 whole minutes. I pressed every key besides shift. lol

RagnarokX

There's clearly a main theme that is repeated several times and with different variations during the course of the game. I agree that the rest of the score is pretty unmemorable (maybe except the taiko drums piece during the
battle with the onis
near the end of the game.

Compared to the PS1 games the soundtrack is abysmally generic.

Vire

Hey guys, I just started playing on PC and unfortunately am experiencing motion sickness.

Is there a way to disable the camera bob or maybe adjust the field of view?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009

I totally agree on the music! I can't remember a single theme and Tomb Raider has some of the most iconic music in gaming. I also felt the mix was too low.

holy shit

imtehman

Banned
just finished the game at 80 percent on PC. this game blew me away (probably because i came in with low expectations)

only things i didn't like were the terrible side characters and the crappy boss fights.

other than that, one of the best games i've played this gen

count me in the TR > UC2 crowd.

I hope naughty dog takes note and incorporate some of the stuff that TR did gameplay wise, because another uncharted with its linear model and crappy gunplay mechanics would suck

I totally agree on the music! I can't remember a single theme and Tomb Raider has some of the most iconic music in gaming. I also felt the mix was too low.

holy shit

Still one of the best of all time. The original TR had one of the best soundtracks of any game and because the music was used so sparingly and only to punch home the excitement of a scene you can remember exactly where each of those moments happened.

Still get chills with the main theme

just finished the game at 80 percent on PC. this game blew me away (probably because i came in with low expectations)

only things i didn't like were the terrible side characters and the crappy boss fights.

other than that, one of the best games i've played this gen

count me in the TR > UC2 crowd.

I hope naughty dog takes note and incorporate some of the stuff that TR did gameplay wise, because another uncharted with its linear model and crappy gunplay mechanics

Do not listen to this crazy person ND!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I just spent the past hour playing multiplayer (pretty robust community on PS3 actually), and I think I've figured out why I like it so much. It has just the right amount of jank. Not too much that the game feels broken you see, but just enough that you can't really take anything seriously and you end up just going with the flow.

Still one of the best of all time. The original TR had one of the best soundtracks of any game and because the music was used so sparingly and only to punch home the excitement of a scene you can remember exactly where each of those moments happened.

Still get chills with the main theme

Do not listen to this crazy person ND!

Did you hear the theme in the new game that sorta sounds like that? Can't find a link but at times there were notes very similar to the first ones in the main theme playing. I thought it was a nice little nod.

Damn, son. Now I'm going to end up listening to your entire playlist.

Come down memory lane with me bro.

Did you hear the theme in the new game that sorta sounds like that? Can't find a link but at times there were notes very similar to the first ones in the main theme playing. I thought it was a nice little nod.

Yeah it's close enough that it each time it played I hoped beyond hope it would be what I thought.

antitrop

Come down memory lane with me bro.

PXhw01J.jpg

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
My game froze on me during my last play session, and now it won't let me load my save file. I'm at the Chasm Ziggurat (65% completion mark). The game freezes on me when trying to zoom into the island after selecting continue. I'm playing the PS3 version. Any ideas on how to fix this.... :/

And people said this game wasn't like the old Tomb Raiders.. pfft.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
It's not... It's heavily story and combat focused and what little platforming and puzzles there are are incredibly simplistic compared to even Crystal Dynamics' Tomb Raiders.

It was a joke about the old PS1 Tomb Raiders having game freezes and corrupt save files. :p

Anyways, I watched the rest of the game on Youtube, ending looked like a blast. :/ Oh well, great game. I have a hard time ranking it above Uncharted 2 though with the characters and story not being nearly as enjoyable in Tomb Raider. I hope the inevitable sequel focuses solely on Lara or either gets a new surrounding cast.

Other sequel wishes:
- more open areas
- greater focus on tombs/scavenging
- limited ammo so bow and arrow and the pistol aren't rendered (nearly) obsolete
- more complex puzzles
- better AI

Awwwwww yeah! So after seeing that the PS3 version is superior to the 360 version - I know have the survival edition for both the 360 and PS3.

I'll now be playing it on the PS3...I can already tell a difference in the visuals and the PS3 version has more audio tracks!
Please don't judge me.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Awwwwww yeah! So after seeing that the PS3 version is superior to the 360 version - I know have the survival edition for both the 360 and PS3.

I'll now be playing it on the PS3...I can already tell a difference in the visuals and the PS3 version has more audio tracks!
Please don't judge me.

You should have listened to me when I was doing all that research before the game's launch as to which platform would be superior. PS3 all the way!

All I can say is that Nixxes is damn good at what they do. On that note my copy of Tomb Raider Trilogy for PS3 just shipped.

Dead

well not really...yet
Just make the next one pure open world, ACII style.

More unlockables, better puzzles, but keep most of them optional (ie glyphs). Also further refine the combat, weapon and crafting system.

Please don't judge me.

Haha damn Tricky you are smitten with this game. I don't think I have loved any game enough to double dip unless its released on a portable or something.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Sorry but I gotta this.......this game is actually built more like Soul Reaver
I mean the large world and teleport gates, its just got Uncharteds set pieces with a mix of Uncharteds/RE4 combat and the rest is Tomb Raider
But the world structure just reminds me of Soul Reaver.

Please don't judge me.

Hmm I've been awfully tempted. No...damn you.. NOOOOOOOOOO

TGO

To 360 and PS3 owners: "How's the multiplayer so far? Is the community pretty active?"
Depends, I've played people that are level 60 already so people play it a lot and I can always find a match in any of the modes, but if it has legs is another question

Please don't judge me.
The 360 version only has DD5.1?
The DTS track is amazing in this game.

Depends, I've played people that are level 60 already so people play it a lot and I can always find a match in any of the modes, but if it has legs is another question

Sounds pretty good. Thanks.

Hope it does have long legs and lasts for a while. More maps would help for sure.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Hope it does have long legs and lasts for a while. More maps would help for sure.

I've been playing it on and off, it's pretty fun, but it's very simplistic and pared down compared to most modern shooters. No killstreaks, not many attachments, a few perks here and there but nothing game changing. I like my multiplayer that way, but if you're a COD kind of person then you probably won't enjoy this. Most matches are 4v4 too, so they've got a slower pace to them.

TGO

Yeah but I hope they focus on SP DLC more, there is a lot of block areas which looks like something behind, maybe a Tombs
but yeah more maps are welcome, but I can't see it lasting as long Uncharteds, thou I could be wrong

^^
Executioner is technically a killstreak

Thanks for the replies. If it's similar to Uncharted, then I can enjoy it.

As for SP DLC, I totally agree. More tombs would be great. I know there are rumors (or hints) for it, but I hope they come out sooner with really great tomb DLCs to enhance the overall SP experience.

TGO

Thanks for the replies. If it's similar to Uncharted, then I can enjoy it.

As for SP DLC, I totally agree. More tombs would be great. I know there are rumors (or hints) for it, but I hope they come out sooner with really great tomb DLCs to enhance the overall SP experience.
Similar would be a understatement lol
The Bow is the best weapon!

So I finished the game and now I'm going through to collect everything.

I'm in the first big area of the game. One set of collectibles is these little things hanging from trees and you shoot them.

I have the skill where you can
See collectibles through walls
, but it's not helping much here. Everything else is marked on the map except for these things. Is there any effective / efficient way to approach collecting these?

SmithnCo

So I finished the game and now I'm going through to collect everything.

I'm in the first big area of the game. One set of collectibles is these little things hanging from trees and you shoot them.

I have the skill where you can
See collectibles through walls
, but it's not helping much here. Everything else is marked on the map except for these things. Is there any effective / efficient way to approach collecting these?

I think you just have to follow a video guide, these "challenges" don't appear on the map. They do glow in hunting mode though.

I've had this since launch but I've been playing Guild Wars 2. Just wanted to pop in and say Holy Shit I love this game! It looks and runs amazing! I am in love with Lara Croft again.

Kudos Crystal and SE!

Edit: a soul reaver game with this engine would make me Hnnnnnnmnnng

Top Bottom