• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Amir0x

Banned
Yes it's totally embarrassing to me calling out what a smug ass you are.
My opinions do not matter and my posts are too small to count because i'm not a GAF VIP like yourself I guess.

I should prepare 5 pages before I post so my content is deemed important by your majesty.

You should prepare some actual content if you're going to try to call out people's actual positions which were laid out in detail, that's correct. I'm not saying you have to (well actually you do have to, technically, but I'm not in a position to enforce them nor am I a rat) I'm just saying you should do that if you don't want to keep embarrassing yourself. It's up to you, but so far in these past two pages you've just looked like something of a dunce with no respect whatsoever for actual discussion. I find it amusing, but naturally it's up to you how you choose to proceed. I'll just keep finding it amusing until you burn out regardless. I have myself the fun I want either way dude.

Phonomezer said:
The worst, I had to resort to a map.

I don't think I've found one of these ghost things yet, what do they look like? Just glowy?

Arklite

Its certainly technically possible. Just as its possible to decompose what would be QTEs into smaller more cinematic context-sensitive actions a player can take. I can jack tanks and mechs in Halo using context sensitive commands, and I can clear a room of dozens of bad guys with flourishes aplenty in the Arkham games, but its still player input decisions driving the experience and leading to cinematic results.

QTE's are for specific cinematic results, though. Replacing entire segments of gameplay with QTE's is one thing, but that specific Vanquish .gif is just a small added scene of ass kicking, which I think is fine in games. A giant leap to mount two story tall robots doesn't exist and isn't needed but they wanted to add a fun scene and wanted the player to feel connected in some way. I think MGR 'abuses' this stuff more often, but it's minor.

With the skull medallions, there's one as soon as you get into the forest before the bit where you need to crawl so you gotta head back after you get the bow.

Amir0x

Banned
Oh nevermind I guess I did find a few of those. Just shoot them and they add in, right?

The one thing it's cool is to come back to older areas to access new ones with new abilities, if we had to make a list of things to continue into the next TR title, I would keep that aspect. MEtroidvania is not an altogether bad fit for accurate TR gameplay.

The one thing it's cool is to come back to older areas to access new ones with new abilities, if we had to make a list of things to continue into the next TR title, I would keep that aspect. MEtroidvania is not an altogether bad fit for accurate TR gameplay.
Absolutely this. If they expanded on the game's epilogue gameplay I wouldn't even mind a linear spectacle-fest as pre-amble. This game's presentation wedded to deep mechanics would be mindblowing.

For finding collectibles I like to use a basic formula - the longer it looks like an artist worked on something and the less likely a player is to actually stop and admire it in the normal progression of the game, the more likely you are to find a collectible. It works ;P

RedAssedApe

Banned
With the skull medallions, there's one as soon as you get into the forest before the bit where you need to crawl so you gotta head back after you get the bow.

I didn't even know about this until after I finished most of the game and went back for all the collectibles. haha -_-

Oh nevermind I guess I did find a few of those. Just shoot them and they add in, right?

Yeah.

I enjoyed the aesthetic changes as well, it was nice going around areas during the day that had been night for me in the main story and vice versa.

It's just a shame that so much gets upgraded so late in the game. Some of the later upgrades make combat a lot of fun, but there aren't many stragglers left standing around to take out when the game has been completed. I suppose we shall have to wait for some DLC.

Dahbomb

For the medallions, like at least 4 of them are near the bridges of the 2nd area or under them. One is at your first camp when you start the game, one is by the statue in 2nd area and another is at the end of this area which leads to the next major area. A couple are underneath raised hilly ledges in the first area.

Definitely an annoying challenge.

RedAssedApe

Banned
I honestly cannot understand how there are people that love Uncharted but hate this game.

I think this is mostly coming from people who didn't want Tomb Raider to be Uncharted: Lara Croft Edition. They want both game series to be uniquely different animals.

That being said, unless they purposefully blacked out on all TR related media, they should have known what they were getting into and passed on the game. Its nonsensical to have known exactly what type of reboot this was going to be, buying it, and then going FUCK THIS SHIT THIS IS NOT WHAT I WANTED. Those are the people who should probably be quiet.

Amir0x

Banned
Absolutely this. If they expanded on the game's epilogue gameplay I wouldn't even mind a linear spectacle-fest as pre-amble. This game's presentation wedded to deep mechanics would be mindblowing.

For finding collectibles I like to use a basic formula - the longer it looks like an artist worked on something and the less likely a player is to actually stop and admire it in the normal progression of the game, the more likely you are to find a collectible. It works ;P

Yeah the problem is always that these things exist as the point of the exercise, rather than a neat little diversion between all the rad bits of gameplay. And I really think developers should spend more time trying to emulate THE TRAIN level of Uncharted 2 as far as set pieces are concerned, as that meaningfully impacts gameplay and does things that people formerly thought would be relegated permanently to cutscenes, rather than all the collapsing meaningless platforms and shit like that.

Yeah.

I enjoyed the aesthetic changes as well, it was nice going around areas during the day that had been night for me in the main story and vice versa.

It's just a shame that so much gets upgraded so late in the game. Some of the later upgrades make combat a lot of fun, but there aren't many stragglers left standing around to take out when the game has been completed. I suppose we shall have to wait for some DLC.

I still have I guess a third of the game to go judging by what my friend goes, so I'm sure I'll try to come back to earlier areas and see some of the relics and whatnot (I like that they made it so you can examine an item and find out more info about them sometimes... seems like something a true Croft would do).

XOMTOR

Was anyone not expecting this, though? I wasn't following this game closely, but it was very clearly an Uncharted clone, the reveal way back when was all scripted events. It was nothing like old Tomb Raider games.

I saw it coming a long time ago but I guess I was being naive and silently hoping that it wouldn't be reduced to this. The last 3 Crystal TR games weren't spectacular but at least they had some semblance of what Tomb Raider was about. So yea, wishful thinking I guess.

Ninjimbo

Its certainly technically possible. Just as its possible to decompose what would be QTEs into smaller more cinematic context-sensitive actions a player can take. I can jack tanks and mechs in Halo using context sensitive commands, and I can clear a room of dozens of bad guys with flourishes aplenty in the Arkham games, but its still player input decisions driving the experience and leading to cinematic results.
I might be misremembering but isn't that what the gif in Vanquish is? That's a recurring enemy in the game that you finish off by sliding up to it and mashing a few buttons.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Well, I like both Tomb Raider and uncharted, but I also like ice cream and potato chips and I know that if I eat too much of them my teeth will rot.

Console gaming these days...man, the kitchen is stocked with ice cream and potato chips. It's why I was so pleasantly surprised by xcom.

Isaccard

Well, I like both Tomb Raider and uncharted, but I also like ice cream and potato chips and I know that if I eat too much of them my teeth will rot.

Console gaming these days...man, the kitchen is stocked with ice cream and potato chips. It's why I was so pleasantly surprised by xcom.

lol

Arklite

I saw it coming a long time ago but I guess I was being naive and silently hoping that it wouldn't be reduced to this. The last 3 Crystal TR games weren't spectacular but at least they had some semblance of what Tomb Raider was about. So yea, wishful thinking I guess.

A semblance is all? Playing through this game got me interested in the franchise. I checked out an Underworld demo and thought it was pretty good. Are the PS1 games the only 'real' Tomb Raider games? The Gametrailers retrospective made it seem like they kept falling in quality after the first one.

Weenerz

Banned
I really wish I owned this game. I should set up some kind of donation website for some made up cause and then buy this game.

RedAssedApe

Banned
A semblance is all? Playing through this game got me interested in the franchise. I checked out an Underworld demo and thought it was pretty good. Are the PS1 games the only 'real' Tomb Raider games? The Gametrailers retrospective made it seem like they kept falling in quality after the first one.

The only TR game I played this gen was Legend. Besides the combat I thought it was pretty good in terms of capturing the feel of the previous titles? I wouldn't say I'm a hardcore TR fan though. I played the original 32-bit era games but never finished them. I think it was due to the clunky controls.

Amir0x

Banned
JDS 2.0
Banned

I tried to guide him lovingly with my heart... he would not listen ;)

Y2Kev said:

Man XCom was so amazing. Did you just recently play it or something? They are offering it as a Bioshock Infinite pre-order incentive I think, which is a super incredible deal.

Also, quick: what flavor of ice cream would you prefer, Chocolate Marshmallow or Neapolitan? And don't say some other flavor, it is critically important it be one of these two!

Bladenic

Really need a DLC or the sequel to
feature those awesome horror monster designs. Was really hoping they were gonna be in the game. I guess they decided to go for a less horror or supernatural feel. Too bad.

Weenerz

Banned
I tried to guide him lovingly with my heart... he would not listen ;)

Man XCom was so amazing. Did you just recently play it or something? They are offering it as a Bioshock Infinite pre-order incentive I think, which is a super incredible deal.

Also, quick: what flavor of ice cream would you prefer, Chocolate Marshmallow or Neapolitan? And don't say some other flavor, it is critically important it be one of these two!

You should edit his posts so he looks even worse. That would be totally awesome!

XOMTOR

A semblance is all? Playing through this game got me interested in the franchise. I checked out an Underworld demo and thought it was pretty good.

Anniversary and Underworld are actually pretty decent TR games (I enjoyed them) so if you haven't played them, please do so. Anniversary is a remake that unfortunately has fans divided with some feeling that it does a disservice to the original while others think it's does the original honor. That is a whole other argument that has had volumes written about it.

Are the PS1 games the only 'real' Tomb Raider games?

Yikes, that's a loaded question. Personally, I would say no and that I consider Anni and Underworld "real" TR games. Legend, I dunno, it was a fun romp but it's quite far removed from the Tomb Raider formula.

Dat...unbalanced diet?

Too bad the raw materials couldn't have made a nice sherbert or frozen yogurt, or something more discernable and still good. (Don't know what it actually takes to make ice cream, sherbert, or frozen yogurt, so feel free to tear down my bad joke).

If Uncharted 2 is, say, Die Hard, then Tomb Raider is the upcoming Olympus Has Fallen. It checks all the boxes of a blockbuster action flick, but it is missing something that makes it really pop out and stand out.

And again, this doesn't make Tomb Raider bad, it just makes it average.

A lot of what you said, plus the bolded, makes me feel bad about neglecting to play the UC series. Have the games, but they're in the backlog somewhere. When I get TR, I'll have to play all of them together. Which one do you guys suggest playing first? UC series, or TR? I'm thinking ladies first right now.

Amir0x

Banned
Don't be a dick.

He insulted me multiple times; I'll relish what I want to, say thank ya. And nobody ever wastes any time relishing that same thing to anyone else when they deserve it. I can post you to an endless litany of neoGAF examples, if it serve your taste, and nobody ever bats an eye. Sorry if you want to live on lollipop land :p

He won't respond with any less than 4 paragraphs and then he will get someone to ban you. Watch your back!

-

He won't respond with any less than 4 paragraphs and then he will cry and get someone to ban you.

If you really want to stake your claim trying top defend this guy, be my guest - but I suspect you should try harder than attaching yourself to a no-content poster with stale jokes and assertions that aren't true at all.

Because sorry to break your illusions, as I'm sure they're quite prolific, but I did not tell anyone about his posts. That's not my style.

Weenerz

Banned
He insulted me multiple times; I'll relish what I want to, say thank ya. And nobody ever wastes any time relishing that same thing to anyone else when they deserve it. I can post you to an endless litany of neoGAF examples, if it serve your taste, and nobody ever bats an eye. Sorry if you want to live on lollipop land :p

If you really want to stake your claim trying top defend this guy, be my guest - but I suspect you should try harder than attaching yourself to a no-content poster with stale jokes and assertions that aren't true at all.

Sorry to break your illusions, as I'm sure they're quite prolific, but I did not tell anyone about his posts. That's not my style.

Is your style begging for donations for your sick mom and then buying lots of drugs? I read that at some place.

Why do you keep saying relish, you hungry or something?

KrayzeeGloo

Neo Member

Because sorry to break your illusions, as I'm sure they're quite prolific, but I did not tell anyone about his posts. That's not my style.

You shouldn't talk about no-content posters in a post that has absolutely no meaningful content.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Dat...unbalanced diet?

Too bad the raw materials couldn't have made a nice sherbert or frozen yogurt, or something more discernable and still good. (Don't know what it actually takes to make ice cream, sherbert, or frozen yogurt, so feel free to tear down my bad joke).

A lot of what you said, plus the bolded, makes me feel bad about neglecting to play the UC series. Have the games, but they're in the backlog somewhere. When I get TR, I'll have to play all of them together. Which one do you guys suggest playing first? UC series, or TR? I'm thinking ladies first right now.

UC1 will probably seem pretty dated if you don't start with it.

Amir0x

Banned
Is your style begging for donations for your sick mom and then buying lots of drugs? I read that at some place.

Poor Weenerz, stuck regurgitating nonsense from the ass end of the internet that continues to be untrue. Ah well, one day it'll work, and you won't just be like some gossip schoolmarm.

You shouldn't talk about no-content posters in a post that has absolutely no meaningful content.

It actually did. The meaningful content was my response to Y2Kev and inquiring what he felt about Xcom. Not that I suspect this is about the truth. Anyway, ya'll keep amusing me with the selective reading and untruths, but there's like eighteen thousands posts of extremely detailed conversation about TR, to which you can, if you so choose, respond in detail.

I'll be waiting when you want to have said discussion.

Weenerz

Banned
Poor Weenerz, stuck regurgitating nonsense from the ass end of the internet that continues to be untrue. Ah well, one day it'll work, and you won't just be like some gossip school marm.

It actually did. The meaningful content was my response to Y2Kev and inquiring what he felt about Xcom. Not that I suspect this is about the truth. Anyway, ya'll keep amusing me with the selective reading and untruths, but there's like eighteen thousands posts of extremely detailed conversation about TR, to which you can, if you so choose, respond in detail.

I heard you don't regurgitate anything, something about being a piggy boy piggy or the like.

KrayzeeGloo

Neo Member
Poor Weenerz, stuck regurgitating nonsense from the ass end of the internet that continues to be untrue. Ah well, one day it'll work, and you won't just be like some gossip schoolmarm.

The post I quoted didn't have anything about video games, just you running your mouth even more. Hey, just like the one I just quoted! I see a trend forming.

Amir0x

Banned
haha I'm dying here. Fat jokes now, jesus christ lol

KrayzeeGloo said:
The post I quoted didn't have anything about video games, just you running your mouth even more. Hey, just like this one!

The problem isn't that you can't ever make short posts; it's that if you're going to try to call out someone who has put time and effort into their posts, you damn well better have something to back it up. Since I already did that, I feel no hypocrisy in taking someone down for not trying (edit: AND throwing insults in the mix in the process, by the way, which is what JSD did; curious how the focus is not on the only one who a.) put no effort into his posts and b.) actually tossed out insults. Tsc tsc, agendas, agendas...)

Again, I'm sure this is extremely obvious to anyone with even the most basic level of reading comprehension, so I'm sure I'm just quoting for effect here.

Do you have anything meaningful to add about TR?

Playing this on PC, high end.

24" monitor...just wow

Then I switched to my 46" TV...pretty sure my hymen ruptured into a million little pieces

This game, is unreal. Not only is it absolutely beautiful, but the gameplay, voicework, and story are superb. Very amazing job by Crystal Dynamics, I can't wait for whatever they do next (hoping they are working on next LoK game, about damn time!).

I definitely prefer this to Uncharted (have tried 1 and 2, but not 3, should I? I found it kind of boring eventually).

People, THIS IS NEXT GEN!

Top Bottom