• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

A lot of what you said, plus the bolded, makes me feel bad about neglecting to play the UC series. Have the games, but they're in the backlog somewhere. When I get TR, I'll have to play all of them together. Which one do you guys suggest playing first? UC series, or TR? I'm thinking ladies first right now.

I'd either play all the Uncharteds together and then Tomb Raider, or Tomb Raider first and then all the Uncharteds. I don't really think it matters either way. If you play TR first, you might feel like the combat in Uncharted is a little confined because that's probably the best part of Tomb Raider, the refinement of the combat.

Bladenic

Playing this on PC, high end.

24" monitor...just wow

Then I switched to my 46" TV...pretty sure my hymen ruptured into a million little pieces

This game, is unreal. Not only is it absolutely beautiful, but the gameplay, voicework, and story are superb. Very amazing job by Crystal Dynamics, I can't wait for whatever they do next (hoping they are working on next LoK game, about damn time!).

I definitely prefer this to Uncharted (have tried 1 and 2, but not 3, should I? I found it kind of boring eventually).

People, THIS IS NEXT GEN!

U3 is the worst game in the series imo. If you are already bored with the franchise 3 will make you hate it.

Varg

Banned
Playing this on PC, high end.

24" monitor...just wow

Then I switched to my 46" TV...pretty sure my hymen ruptured into a million little pieces

This game, is unreal. Not only is it absolutely beautiful, but the gameplay, voicework, and story are superb. Very amazing job by Crystal Dynamics, I can't wait for whatever they do next (hoping they are working on next LoK game, about damn time!).

I definitely prefer this to Uncharted (have tried 1 and 2, but not 3, should I? I found it kind of boring eventually).

People, THIS IS NEXT GEN!

I felt the same way. This game on PC running at 60fps with hair and graphics made my jaw drop.

KrayzeeGloo

Neo Member
haha I'm dying here. Fat jokes now, jesus christ lol

The problem isn't that you can't ever make short posts; it's that if you're going to try to call out someone who has put time and effort into their posts, you damn well better have something to back it up. Since I already did that, I feel no hypocrisy in taking someone down for not trying (edit: AND throwing insults in the mix in the process, by the way, which is what JSD did; curious how the focus is not on the only one who a.) put no effort into his posts and b.) actually tossed out insults. Tsc tsc, agendas, agendas...)

Again, I'm sure this is extremely obvious to anyone with even the most basic level of reading comprehension, so I'm sure I'm just quoting for effect here.

Do you have anything meaningful to add about TR?

So simply because you've had "quality" posts in this thread in the past, that gives you some immunity to being called out on the same thing you were insulting someone for? If that somehow makes sense in your seemingly empty head, I don't know how you've managed to form a cohesive sentence.

And to humor you, I thought the game was fantastic and one of the best I've played in years. Look forward to replaying it in the near future.

ITT: Account suicide.

Man, someone showed up and got banned in the time it took me to get home from work

damn this thread is grim.
I understand some of you don't like the game much, but wow - it's like a funeral for the gaming industry.

I've considered this actually, like, how is it fair to rag on TR for the faults of so many modern AAA games? But the fact is, it's an ideal project with which to discuss these issues. It's something that comes toward the end of a console cycle that is actively trying to include elements of every remotely similar, successful AAA franchise this gen.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
judging by all the attention this game is getting including the hate, GOTY confirmed? lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I tried to guide him lovingly with my heart... he would not listen ;)

Man XCom was so amazing. Did you just recently play it or something? They are offering it as a Bioshock Infinite pre-order incentive I think, which is a super incredible deal.

Also, quick: what flavor of ice cream would you prefer, Chocolate Marshmallow or Neapolitan? And don't say some other flavor, it is critically important it be one of these two!

No, I bought Xcom for $60 because I am not a pleb who does not support games like that!

And neapolitan all the way.

derFeef

I've considered this actually, like, how is it fair to rag on TR for the faults of so many modern AAA games? But the fact is, it's an ideal project with which to discuss these issues. It's something that comes toward the end of a console cycle that is actively trying to include elements of every remotely similar, successful AAA franchise this gen.

I don't think that's fair, rumors of the new TR's mechanics spawned years ago and they are pretty much spot on. It's just that other games have released meanwhile and did the same formula too. Also I don't know if the new hardware will spawn deeper gameplay mechanics - see the new Killzone, same old shit.

Darkangel

Since there is no way to predict the first time through a QTE segment what letter will come up, there is no real way to acquire a skill to get better at it... you have to simply get lucky and hope the window for the QTE button is large enough so you can respond in case your finger is arbitrarily hovering slightly over the wrong button, or whatever.

QTEs are just fucking embarrassingly awful game design in every way. The true lazy developers crutch of choice these days.

Reaction time is a skill that can be improved upon. I don't see how QTEs are "luck" based.

Honestly I've never had a problem with QTEs, I find 95% of them so easy that they don't take anything away from the experience. The only game where a QTE made me mad was mashing x for around 30 seconds straight at the end of RE5 (I guess that wasn't really a "quick time" event though...).

It was pretty bullshit how the keyboard prompts weren't labeled on the PC version though.

As much as I'm enjoying the game (about 75% done I'd say) I find myself just wishing the game would end. In that respect, it's the same as the Uncharted games for me. I really enjoy them, but I always feel they are overlong and outstay their welcomes. I think the more cinematic a game is, the more I want it to be tightly plotted like most films.

But having said all that, I'm enjoying it. And I like the Arkham Asylum/Metroidvania style gadget use and upgrades. Definitely think that is a good step for francise moving forward.

DEADEVIL

By the way, Uncharted 2 has an example of a set piece that is actually meaningful to the gameplay, and thus is one of the game's highlights... the train. Because the train physics and direction you're moving actually impacts the trajectory of your bullets and your jumps, you have to account for that as you're moving through this incredibly realized level.

THAT is an example of how set pieces can be good, if someone is thoughtful about it

I actually am a fan of Uncharted's cut scenes, but it has absolutely nothing to do with Tomb Raider's cutscenes.

Tomb Raider's set pieces were meaningful to Tomb Raider.

I actually loved the set pieces that were in TR and I'm not talking the ones we already saw at the last two E3s.

Crystal Dynamics created an experience and a lane that while shares the cinematic flare of what ND brought to the table is uniquely theirs.

I'm a fan of what Naughty Dog created with the UC series, but I'm not going to blindly give them a pass as the only one that has the ability to make a great game.

Crystal D. pulled off a Tomb Raider experience that overall was a blast and worth every cent.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
UC3 has some rough spots but UC1 is just not designed very well (in spots). The wave combat is frustrating because enemy spawns appear random and mindless. Enemies approach from behind after you have already made certain areas safe. Checkpointing is poor. The game is on the harder side overall. It's a really interesting game for a lot of things it tried to do, but I really think people wax nostalgic about it while forgetting its misgivings.

I dunno, they made Chloe look all differenty too, and she was my favorite character in Uncharted 2.

PS3? Hit me up if so.

yeah they made her look like a human instead of an alien

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
yeah they made her look like a human instead of an alien

What?

returnofchloe--article_image.jpg

Uncharted 2 Chloe is far superior.

Amir0x

Banned
A.) So simply because you've had "quality" posts in this thread in the past, that gives you some immunity to being called out on the same thing you were insulting someone for? If that somehow makes sense in your seemingly empty head, I don't know how you've managed to form a cohesive sentence.

B.) And to humor you, I thought the game was fantastic and one of the best I've played in years. Look forward to replaying it in the near future.

A.) But that's not what I was calling him out for. Since I've already stated decisively what I was doing, I'll simply refer you once more to the post you quoted and somehow still failed to decipher, basic though it was. And since that's also the start of the circular conversation that leads to nowhere, I hope that ends this charade and we can continue with the many many posts of extremely detailed analysis about the game.

B.) That's doesn't really mean anything to me (why do you think it's fantastic? What specific elements would you say the detractors are wrong about, and why? In what ways do you think the game can improve? In what ways do you think the game is 'the best [you've] played in years'? And so on and so forth) and honestly it doesn't matter to me what you do as long as you're not calling out posters who put actual effort into their posts while simultaneously not doing the same. But this post of yours, to me, is perfectly illustrative of what's actually going on here: you don't actually give a shit about what is actually wrong here (the clue is the comically misapplied usage of the word 'insult' in your post versus JSD's actual insults) and you just instinctively huddled to the person who agrees with your perspective on the game. It doesn't matter, tons of people do it. I'm just pointing it out.

No, I bought Xcom for $60 because I am not a pleb who does not support games like that!

And neapolitan all the way.

Haha, yeah. Xcom was such a surprise, given the state of the genre these days. Is that new Xcom game coming out? That definitely does not look like a surprise gem lol

Reaction time is a skill that can be improved upon. I don't see how QTEs are "luck" based.

Honestly I've never had a problem with QTEs, I find 95% of them so easy that they don't take anything away from the experience. The only game where a QTE made me mad was mashing x for around 30 seconds straight at the end of RE5 (I guess that wasn't really a "quick time" event though...).

It was pretty bullshit how the keyboard prompts weren't labeled on the PC version though.

I agree 95% of them are easy. And I'd concede that you probably can improve to some basic level (the way, say, a guy can improve button mashing speed, I s'pose), but eventually it also comes down to the basic randomness of the gesture. By its very nature, that opens up a window of fail rate beyond ones control, and to me the worst types of game design is when a loss is the game's fault and not one's own.

And what the heck @ the PC prompts thing. I was playing with a 360 controller but that sounds straight fucked. I'm sure they'll update that though, seems an easy fix relatively speaking.

hawk2025

I actually really enjoyed the Mine Hunt, that was probably my favorite "side quest" in the game. Certainly much better than the mushrooms and wind chimes of the first area!

Zeliard

I've considered this actually, like, how is it fair to rag on TR for the faults of so many modern AAA games?

Yeah I think Tomb Raider is basically just emblematic of modern AAA development. To me there isn't a single thing this game does worse than any of the Uncharteds, nor anything particularly better. That includes the dozens of unspectacular AAA games we've seen this gen. I put all of these sorts of games in the same box of flashy yet relatively unmemorable gaming experiences.

Big-budget game development is in utter shambles, with ballooning costs leading to a dearth in creativity while keeping development highly risky regardless. What we've often seen this gen is a studio making a fairly middling game, attempting to tick every "necessary" AAA box for marketing purposes, and the game then bombs and the studio is shut down as a result. So they've made a marketing-driven game that is poorly received and their studio also closes - the worst of both worlds. We've seen this all too many times in the past several years.

It's why Demon's Souls knocked so many people on their asses in amazement when it came out. It's just very uncommon these days to get that sort of uncompromising, innovative game design with a title that has a decent budget behind it. And going on four years after Demon's Souls, it's still incredibly rare.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm starting to dislike the asymmetrical weapon loadouts in multiplayer; different teams have different weapons. They try to balance it out by swapping teams and making each match a best of 3, but I don't want to be playing 3 rounds just to finish one multiplayer match.

cereal_killerxx

Just beat the game last night. It was more fun and way more balanced than I expected it to be. I was kind of lazy though and didn't finish all the side quests. A lot of people have been saying it's a copy of the Uncharted games, I disagree. Although it had some cool Uncharted like moments, it honestly felt more like Far Cry 3. Not a bad thing by any means.

Now, time to find a new game to play until Bioshock Infinite comes out. Perhaps Ni No Kuni? Halo 4? Jak and Daxter 2? I know not.

Just beat this. Gotta say, even with the ridiculous amount of gun play at the end, I had a blast. I don't know why devs keep turning these games into shooters, but for the love of god - please stop. Tomb Raider (and Uncharted) are at their best when you're exploring beautiful areas and solving puzzles. If I went through all of Tomb Raider and killed only, say, 50 people, that would be plenty. Particularly if it were possible to do them all stealthily. Nothing drags down a game more than "stop for 5 minutes and shoot at pop ups".

That said, I had a lot of fun. I enjoyed Lara the character, I enjoyed the plot, I thought the sets were beautiful and the level design interesting. And most important, it didn't overstay it's welcome (in my view). Just started getting tired of it, and then it came to a close. Got 75%-ish. Satisfied with that.

I'm starting to dislike the asymmetrical weapon loadouts in multiplayer; different teams have different weapons. They try to balance it out by swapping teams and making each match a best of 3, but I don't want to be playing 3 rounds just to finish one multiplayer match.

I honestly had the most fun in the free-for-all mode that stripped away all the weapon loadout crap and let you choose who you wanted to be.

Amir0x

Banned
Just beat the game last night. It was more fun and way more balanced than I expected it to be. I was kind of lazy though and didn't finish all the side quests. A lot of people have been saying it's a copy of the Uncharted games, I disagree. Although it had some cool Uncharted like moments, it honestly felt more like Far Cry 3. Not a bad thing by any means.

Tomb Raider is an amalgam of every major AAA release these days, which is why people find it tough to settle on what it is -exactly- like. Uncharted is obviously the most significant influence, but there is some Far Cry 3 in there too. I'd say it plays like an ungraceful blend of Uncharted and a rather awkward third person Metroid Prime!

Now, time to find a new game to play until Bioshock Infinite comes out. Perhaps Ni No Kuni? Halo 4? Jak and Daxter 2? I know not.

I say Ni No Kuni!

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I honestly had the most fun in the free-for-all mode that stripped away all the weapon loadout crap and let you choose who you wanted to be.

Hmm I haven't tried Free For All, maybe I'll give that a shot sometime.

BTW pro-tip for multiplayer, if you're being shot at just jump around a lot. It's impossible to hit people who are jumping around if you're playing with a joystick, the aiming is way too weird in this game. Whenever I'm outmatched I just jump around a lot and 95% of the time I can make my escape.

Bladenic

Just finished the first level of Guardian of Light. Super fun. And if it's not obvious, the game is completely the opposite of TR 2013. Glad my TR purchase had a free GoL download code.

derFeef

Just finished the first level of Guardian of Light. Super fun. And if it's not obvious, the game is completely the opposite of TR 2013. Glad my TR purchase had a free GoL download code.

GoL is awesome, coop is the shit. Sad there won't be another one.

XOMTOR

It's why Demon's Souls knocked so many people on their asses in amazement when it came out. It's just very uncommon these days to get that sort of uncompromising, innovative game design with a title that has a decent budget behind it. And going on four years after Demon's Souls, it's still incredibly rare.

Funny you should mention this but the new Tomb Raider pushed me over the edge so today I finally decided I'd attempt my hand at Demon's Souls. Checked online and neither store in my area has any copies, new or used. Either everyone loved it and held onto their copies or they all broke the disks in frustration and there's none to trade in ;-) Guess my sanity gets to survive another day. One day Demon's Souls, one day....
I'll be yer bitch.

Top Bottom