• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Guardian of Light is badass. And Lara's not all "i hate tombs" in that game. She's like come at me you mythical fuck and I'll break your neck with my giant tits

Some prefer the former

RagnarokX

The one thing it's cool is to come back to older areas to access new ones with new abilities, if we had to make a list of things to continue into the next TR title, I would keep that aspect. MEtroidvania is not an altogether bad fit for accurate TR gameplay.
This almost never happens in this game. There are two areas on the entire island that you return to with gear that allows you to access areas you couldn't access before, and really only 2 items, well 3 if you count that secret tomb you can't access without the climbing axe.
A semblance is all? Playing through this game got me interested in the franchise. I checked out an Underworld demo and thought it was pretty good. Are the PS1 games the only 'real' Tomb Raider games? The Gametrailers retrospective made it seem like they kept falling in quality after the first one.

I would say Tomb Raider 1-4 are good, but they are extremely slow and tiring by today's standards. Crystal Dynamic's Tomb Raiders are more actiony and guided like this game, but less so. People are upset because Tomb Raider has yet to be adequately updated for modern times, and this game is further from that than Crystal Dynamics' previous efforts. I'd say a frustrating thing about this game is that provides what I can see as an excellent base for updating Tomb Raider with modern gaming technology, but the base is buried deep in platforming and puzzles that require no skill and tiring combat. It's like Crystal Dynamics has no faith in the gamer to play the game in a way that highlights the experience they want to present. They want players to see what they've made and fear that if the player can fail they won't.

I did not know this existed! Must find! Must consume!
You've never had rocky road? Or Phish Food?

Y2Kev

Tomb Raider 4 is sooooooo hardcore. Anyone that can play that today gets props from me. It's just long, hard, and samey. I guess that was as far as they could push that formula.

Amir0x

Banned
This almost never happens in this game. There are two areas on the entire island that you return to with gear that allows you to access areas you couldn't access before, and really only 2 items, well 3 if you count that secret tomb you can't access without the climbing axe.

For real? I thought I noticed a few but that is really dire... I guess the last third of the game doesn't change much...

...but for the record, at least in the TR sequel, I hope they focus on making that happen a lot more (as well as changing platforming from worthless to challenging)

Y2Kev said:
Tomb Raider 4 is sooooooo hardcore. Anyone that can play that today gets props from me. It's just long, hard, and samey. I guess that was as far as they could push that formula.

Some of the hold-your-breath jumps in that game, from my hazy memory (it's my least played TR for some reason), were just shockingly tension-inducing when you got to the ledges.

I actually am a fan of Uncharted's cut scenes, but it has absolutely nothing to do with Tomb Raider's cutscenes.

Tomb Raider's set pieces were meaningful to Tomb Raider.

I actually loved the set pieces that were in TR and I'm not talking the ones we already saw at the last two E3s.

Crystal Dynamics created an experience and a lane that while shares the cinematic flare of what ND brought to the table is uniquely theirs.

I'm a fan of what Naughty Dog created with the UC series, but I'm not going to blindly give them a pass as the only one that has the ability to make a great game.

Crystal D. pulled off a Tomb Raider experience that overall was a blast and worth every cent.

This post makes so much more sense than your last one.

Andrew.

Banned
The more and more I think about this game...the more and more I become "meh" on it.

Dont get me wrong. I'm glad I played it. Glad being the key word there.

RagnarokX

The most annoying thing about Tomb Raider 4 is the areas that span multiple levels. This is most extremely illustrated by a puzzle that requires you to go to a small room in another level (loading screen) to push/pull a block into the right spot, then return to the previous area (loading screen) to push another block. It also suffers from theme fatigue. It's all Egyptian levels and there's only so much you can do with that. It was full of good ideas, but it was very plodding.

KingKong

The most annoying thing about Tomb Raider 4 is the areas that span multiple levels. This is most extremely compounded by a puzzle that requires you to go to a small room in another level (loading screen) to push/pull a block into the right spot, then return to the previous area (loading screen) to push another block. It also suffers from theme fatigue. It's all Egyptian levels and there's only so much you can do with that. It was full of good ideas, but it was very plodding.

the outside levels climbing the pyramids were so awesome though

Amir0x

Banned
The most annoying thing about Tomb Raider 4 is the areas that span multiple levels. This is most extremely compounded by a puzzle that requires you to go to a small room in another level (loading screen) to push/pull a block into the right spot, then return to the previous area (loading screen) to push another block. It also suffers from theme fatigue. It's all Egyptian levels and there's only so much you can do with that. It was full of good ideas, but it was very plodding.

holy shit you gave me a flashback of that shit

like i suddenly had a very vivid memory of that entire sequence

felt like I was being controlled by the Animus or some shit lol

Y2Kev

Tomb Raider 5 :piss

Angel of Darkness' dialog trees are still a favorite of mine.

Lara: Where's Bouchard?
Frenchie: Aye do not know meees
Lara: WHERE'S BOUCHARD YOU STUPID FROG I AM GOING TO RING YOUR NECK

The more and more I think about this game...the more and more I become "meh" on it.

I was just listening to Klepick on GB and he says that exact same thing. Its the kind of game that is a fun little diddy at times but when you step back and really think about it you realize it was kind of a empty experience.

I think it was Dahbomb who said its kind of like the Transformers equivalent in the videogame world and I think that is pretty spot on.

KingKong

I can't remember anything about TR5 except for a level inside like a museum or facility or something.

I tried to replay the old games but man, they really aged poorly. The beginning Tomb Raider 3 level looks disgustingly bad, like 10 different terrible jungle textures jutting out at odd angles

e: just look at this

jungle07.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
I can't remember anything about TR5 except for a level inside like a museum or facility or something.

I tried to replay the old games but man, they really aged poorly. The beginning Tomb Raider 3 level looks disgustingly bad, like 10 different terrible jungle textures jutting out at odd angles

jungle07.jpg

pfft that's just beanstalk world, get with the program

I like Mint Chocolate Chip

What kind of Tomb Raider does that make me

that makes you Tomb raider 5 apparently with the green jungle texture ;)

jungle07.jpg

Gorgeous

pfft that's just beanstalk world, get with the program

Hahaha

I would say Tomb Raider 1-4 are good, but they are extremely slow and tiring by today's standards. Crystal Dynamic's Tomb Raiders are more actiony and guided like this game, but less so. People are upset because Tomb Raider has yet to be adequately updated for modern times, and this game is further from that than Crystal Dynamics' previous efforts. I'd say a frustrating thing about this game is that provides what I can see as an excellent base for updating Tomb Raider with modern gaming technology, but the base is buried deep in platforming and puzzles that require no skill and tiring combat. It's like Crystal Dynamics has no faith in the gamer to play the game in a way that highlights the experience they want to present. They want players to see what they've made and fear that if the player can fail they won't...

got a lot more on some trade-ins than i'd expected to, & just bought this for $6 :) . &, yeah, very well said from what i've seen so far - used survival instinct once, realized it completely broke puzzle-solving, & will therefore never use it again. you're absolutely right. this game's designed to be idiot-proof :) ...

PrimeRib_

Interesting topic (regarding Uncharted vs TR)

Several friends of mine have sung TR praises, over Uncharted. I however, am sticking to my guns that despite both following pretty generic gameplay elements, Uncharted feels more "tomb raider-ish" and hence, a better game than TR. But I suppose with anything, it depends on what you're looking for. And when I picked up TR, I was expecting to raid more than just a handful of one-puzzle tombs.

Lara's character progression was a thrill ride, though I'd happily exchange the action-packed-Hostel approach to more raiding of actual tombs.

KingKong

Tomb Raider 3 was my first Tomb Raider actually, so I do have fond memories of the desert and I remember flashes of the jungle, like there was a level with a broken plane and a river you had to cross and dinosaurs

I remember the game was brutally hard too, so many instakill moments

DukeBobby

I'm playing it for a second time, and I sort of feel the same way. I think it's a great game, and I'm glad I played it, but the game has very little longevity.

Frankly, when Bioshock Infinite comes out, I'll probably forget all about it, which is a bit of a shame really, because it's a very well made game.

If it came out last year, it would have easily been in my top 5, but with many great games coming out this year, I can't see it being in my list.

RagnarokX

For real? I thought I noticed a few but that is really dire... I guess the last third of the game doesn't change much...

...but for the record, at least in the TR sequel, I hope they focus on making that happen a lot more (as well as changing platforming from worthless to challenging)

Well, one of the two areas is the final area of the game, which is probably the most amazing area thematically but they do little more with it in terms of gameplay than the rest of the game. The gear you return with only allows you to open 2 doors you couldn't before.

But hey, I like metroidvanias, and I think metroidvania gameplay would mesh well with Tomb Raider gameplay, but Tomb Raider was never a metroidvania... well, I guess Tomb Raider 4 sorta had metroidvania elements; there was this one puzzle that spanned multiple levels that involved upgrading your motorcycle with turbo so that you could clear a jump and get past a monster.

Andrew.

Banned
I was just listening to Klepick on GB and he says that exact same thing. Its the kind of game that is a fun little diddy at times but when you step back and really think about it you realize it was kind of a empty experience.

I think it was Dahbomb who said its kind of like the Transformers equivalent in the videogame world and I think that is pretty spot on.

It really kinda was and you know, it's weird because I can't sense this shit as fast as you guys do. For me I absorb it all in and then release it all, like a big fucking fart, after completion.

The hype balloon swells up so fast, especially when youre first playing and especially when its a new game. But that deflation man... lol

Hopefully Infinite wont do this, but really, at this stage of the game and where the industry and gameplay and all that bullshit is at? Who the fuck knows.

The hell happened in this thread over the last few pages?

I actually thought the villain was not that bad, allthough there was a lot of things that felt felt undeveloped, but the whole documents really did add a nice amount of details for me. I did like how they were voiced too. Hell, this game felt in some ways an evolved version of some of Resident Evil mechanics (examining the items with additional information when you come across a mark of interest, and the voice over from the writer of the individual document) from past titles. I liked that little touch

The Documents for Mathias were great. And all the documents were really well voiced (and borderline creepy in some places, which I dug). But we don't get a lot of time with Mathias... which makes sense. He's not a bad villain, but he could have been a lot more. I did like this line with Lara near the end:

There are no heroes here, Lara... only survivors.

I think this game in general would have benefited a good deal from a slower start. A trip around the endurance that lets you get acquainted with the crew that gets further expanded via the videos and documents later as normal, and more time around Sam and Mathias when he shows up.

That would have been a very good idea.

Did anyone ever tell Lara the definition of insanity?

ISLAND CROSSOVER MAKE IT HAPPEN.

What are you talking about? It did happen.

Vaas got fat.

tumblr_mimxogCvNO1qkq7tbo1_500.jpg

Dahbomb

I didn't bring up the Transformers analogy but I agree with it. This game is the equivalent of a summer pop corn flick.. which are usually loud and dumb but enjoyable nonetheless. Transformers is the quintessential movie to describe that popcorn entertainment. But there are still better popcorn movies than others. Like Uncharted 2 is the Indiana Jones of gaming but Tomb Raider is A Good Day to Die Hard.. starring a chick.

Amir0x

Banned
Well, one of the two areas is the final area of the game, which is probably the most amazing area thematically but they do little more with it in terms of gameplay than the rest of the game. The gear you return with only allows you to open 2 doors you couldn't before.

But hey, I like metroidvanias, and I think metroidvania gameplay would mesh well with Tomb Raider gameplay, but Tomb Raider was never a metroidvania... well, I guess Tomb Raider 4 sorta had metroidvania elements; there was this one puzzle that spanned multiple levels that involved upgrading your motorcycle with turbo so that you could clear a jump and get past a monster.

I agree with you, I just think that if the foundation of a TR is exploration, platforming and puzzles, metroidvania type structure can be great at facilitating quality versions of all three types of gameplay.

So if they wanted to majorly reboot the franchise, that would have been a great start

Andrew.

Banned
I didn't bring up the Transformers analogy but I agree with it. This game is the equivalent of a summer pop corn flick.. which are usually loud and dumb but enjoyable nonetheless. Transformers is the quintessential movie to describe that popcorn entertainment. But there are still better popcorn movies than others. Like Uncharted 2 is the Indiana Jones of gaming but Tomb Raider is A Good Day to Die Hard.. starring a chick.

Dude come on. It's definitely better than Die Hard fucking Five.

iF042S4bk69w.gif

I would disagree with this assertion actually.

XOMTOR

jungle07.jpg

Haha, yea I remember those textures. I also remember dying countless times trying to get the Ganesha key in the room with the moving spike wall. On PS1, I couldn't distinguish the key on the floor due to the poor textures and it being so damn dark. Had to resort to a guide which actually had the key circled in red. I really should pick up the PC versions on GOG. Anyone know how the textures are in those? Any of 'em been updated?

Was Tomb Raider Legend the one which had Lara parading around skyscrapers in Asia? That was a dreadful part of an otherwise decent game if so.

Dahbomb

The most recent popcorn movie I saw was Die Hard. I guess its more comparable to Live Free or Die Hard then because they are both different from their predecessors lol.

Amir0x

Banned
Was Tomb Raider Legend the one which had Lara parading around skyscrapers in Asia? That was a dreadful part of an otherwise decent game if so.

Walking around an ol' West town and shit. Tons of shootouts. It was the true beginning of the end for our beloved, since it meant after the momentarily positive note in Anniversary, things would still go downhill after Angel of Darkness :(

Andrew.

Banned
Tomb Raider is really like an Alien 3 at this point

Totally split down the middle and gradually, over time, some on the other side will grow to like (or at least appreciate what it does) it and there will end being a shitload of newcomers that bust a nut all over it.

Amir0x

Banned

Totally split down the middle and gradually, over time, some on the other side will grow to like it and there will end being a shitload of newcomers that bust a nut all over it.

I got a better comparison

Indiana Jones is to OG Tomb Raider as King Solomon's Mines is to Tomb Raider reboot >:)

RagnarokX

Totally split down the middle and gradually, over time, some on the other side will grow to like (or at least appreciate what it does) it and there will end being a shitload of newcomers that bust a nut all over it.

Eh, I'd say it's closer to Alien Resurrection. Or maybe one of the AVP movies.

...you know what? It's Prometheus; a reboot/prequel that COMPLETELY misses the point with terrible characters and a confused plot. There are even a part where Lara tries to escape danger by running in a straight line away from an giant object of death that she could have avoided by dodging any other direction but back.

It really kinda was and you know, it's weird because I can't sense this shit as fast as you guys do. For me I absorb it all in and then release it all, like a big fucking fart, after completion.

The hype balloon swells up so fast, especially when youre first playing and especially when its a new game. But that deflation man... lol

Hopefully Infinite wont do this, but really, at this stage of the game and where the industry and gameplay and all that bullshit is at? Who the fuck knows.

I am really hoping Infinite is something special. My gut is telling me it will be but I don't want to get burned this time so I am trying to go in with reasonable expectations.

Top Bottom