• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Gold_Loot

Trying too hard? You ask any PC gamer what they'd prefer and they'll all say manual saving over checkpoints. If someone has no control over themselves and saves/restarts before every major encounter that's not my problem.

I guess, I'm not really sure in his case. Manual saving gives you greater control over that though.

Sure it's fine for "ease of use" , but it takes all tension out of any game when you can simple tap a quick save after every few steps you take.

kunonabi

I could possibly agree with that. The games were more challenging and immersive than necessarily deep. Might depend on what you'd consider gives a game depth. Certainly would be tough to defend the combat.

I dunno about Alan Wake, but certainly I've been more impressed with the game's atmosphere than anything I've seen so far. It's not TR, but it appeals to me.

Aren't you both just saying you'd prefer not being able to continue 10 steps away from where you died?

That is exactly what I'm saying. If you aren't going to create any sort of punishment or penalty for dying why even bother making it possible? It destroys any incentive to actually learn a game's mechanics and get better at it.

So I decided to pre-order SimCity instead of Tomb Raider. I'm scared that both of these games won't live up to their predecessors, but regardless, SimCity will probably have more playtime from me.

Tomb Raider, please make me regret my decision.

Gold_Loot

But who would you blame for that, the system or the person pressing the save button?
Yeah I understand what you're saying, but myself, like many other people can easily abuse a system like that. Maybe if it had a system like "One quick save per chapter" or "One quick save every 15 minutes" Then sure maybe something like that can work. (With a proper checkpoint system of course)..

Would hate to stray too far OT in an official thread though. Maybe someone can make a thread on it.

antitrop

Yeah I understand what you're saying, but myself, like many other people can easily abuse a system like that. Maybe if it had a system like "One quick save per chapter" or "One quick save every 15 minutes"

If people are going to complain about checkpoints, they would complain about that even more.

The best option would just be to have quick save/load hotkeys on PC like PC games have for decades. But in the modern era of console ports, I'm willing to accept checkpoints. Honestly, I'm just glad I'm not forced to play this on a console in the first place.

fuenf

Played it a little more

Regarding jumping:
  • you have to press foward during the jump, otherwise you will pretty much fall down midway
  • there are some challenging cinematic jumps
  • overall the jump mechanic is relatively easy but satisfying. I prefer it to the one in Uncharted (I like the added grab + climb mechanic).

Lara killing stuff:
  • the more I play it, the more it feels like a game about survival & desperation. Lara's actions work very well in that context.
  • it's possible to bypass / stealth your way past a few enemies but most fights are mandatory (especially if you want to find/explore everything)

The game is getting better and better and you will feel the need to protect her from all the hate on the internet. ;) Most of the criticism is downright laughable, it's not Tomb Raider 1 and it's not a revolution either. It feels like the natural evolution of the franchise.

dreamfall

Wait, is there no manual save? Only saving at base camps?

Not a deal breaker, but it would've been great to have the liberty to start/stop playing wherever you left off.

But who would you blame for that, the system or the person pressing the save button?

My personal opinion on this is that the onus shouldn't be on the player to personally manage a game's balance/difficulty/etc, although I do very much understand the want and need for a player to have as many choices and options as possible. It's weird, because those two ideas conflict with each other and yet both seem very valid to me.

I just recently had this problem with fire emblem. It gives you so many options to grind and get powerful so easily and I took advantage of that which actually ruined the rest of the main game for me because battles were so easy they were pointless. But I did thoroughly enjoy the process of making my characters super powerful. However I couldn't help but wish the entire game felt like those first few chapters where I had to worry and make careful strategic decisions. But then again, I could have chosen to make the game stay that way by not grinding, but I hate the feeling of intentionally handcuffing myself because the game itself has no regard for maintaining a meaningful balance.

antitrop

It gives you so many options to grind and get powerful so easily and I took advantage of that which actually ruined the rest of the main game for me because battles were so easy they were pointless. But I did thoroughly enjoy the process of making my characters super powerful. However I couldn't help but wish the entire game felt like those first few chapters where I had to worry and make careful strategic decisions.

You just described my playthroughs of both Ogre Battle and Ogre Battle 64.

One ultimate team unit dominating every map to the worst ending possible. Only way to play the game. :p

Wait, is there no manual save? Only saving at base camps?

Not a deal breaker, but it would've been great to have the liberty to start/stop playing wherever you left off.

No, No the game does autosave alot and everytime I've quit out, it's taken me right back where I left off. Though I tend to go to the camps to ensure I'm near a fast travel if need be. Guess I should have clarified my answer more.

Played it a little more

Regarding jumping:
  • you have to press foward during the jump, otherwise you will pretty much fall down midway
  • overall the jump mechanic is relatively easy but satisfying. I prefer it to the one in Uncharted (I like the added grab + climb mechanic).

Lara killing stuff:
  • the more I play it, the more it feels like a game about survival & desperation. Lara's actions work very well in that context.
  • it's possible to bypass / stealth your way past a few enemies but most fights are mandatory (especially if you want to find/explore everything)

The game is getting better and better and you will feel the need to protect her from all the hate on the internet. ;) Most of the criticism is downright laughable, it's not Tomb Raider 1 and it's not a revolution either. It feels like the natural evolution of the franchise.
From the sounds of it, this is as close to a AAA survival game that I'm gonna find, so I guess I'll pick it up. Especially to check out that next gen hair haha.
Also, might spring for Collector's edition, I kinda like that figure.

Played it a little more

Regarding jumping:

Lara killing stuff:

Shhhhh. You're making the wait harder.

Derrick01

Banned
From the sounds of it, this is as close to a AAA survival game that I'm gonna find, so I guess I'll pick it up. Especially to check out that next gen hair haha.
Also, might spring for Collector's edition, I kinda like that figure.

I'd wait for last of us before saying that for sure. From what I understand you have to actually scavenge for supplies in that game and ammo is extremely limited (gun in the E3 demo had about 4 bullets) and the AI looks to be several steps ahead of any other game which would enhance the survival aspect as well. It doesn't look like a game pretending to be survival but overloads you with ammo and supplies.

antitrop

Ya, between this game and The Last of Us, the end of the generation is going out with an enormous bang rather than a whimper.

Unless TLoU is disappointing, which I do not expect at all.

I'd wait for last of us before saying that for sure. From what I understand you have to actually scavenge for supplies in that game and ammo is extremely limited (gun in the E3 demo had about 4 bullets) and the AI looks to be several steps ahead of any other game which would enhance the survival aspect as well. It doesn't look like a game pretending to be survival but overloads you with ammo and supplies.

I don't want to try to shoot people with a stick. If LoU was PC then I would, but I can't hit the side of a wall using dual analog.

Derrick01

Banned
I don't want to try to shoot people with a stick. If LoU was PC then I would, but I can't hit the side of a wall using dual analog.

Good news is it doesn't seem like there will be much shooting in that game with as low as ammo is. Probably going to be mostly melee combat or stealth.

I'm becoming more hyped for this game as the release date comes closer. I'm a big fan of Crystal Dynamics' other TR games and really like the direction of this reboot. Rhianna Pratchett's involvement is another plus to this more "serious" take on the character. This origin sort of reminds me of Green Arrow.
Huh. Had no idea she was involved. All the hype is slowly getting to me. I really wanted to like this game when it was first unveiled, but every subsequent piece of media that came thereafter siphoned that euphoria til I was left with "everythingwasuncharted". I particularly like the mentioning of "wide-linear" exploration, and "atmosphere out the ass", someone also compared the game to survival horror. Color me interested

G_Berry

Banned
In all honesty gaf, hows the multiplayer?

Lately ive been buying games, finishing them and trading them in. I want to keep one or two lol.

Does the mp have enough legs to stay active for a while?

Necrovex

Huh. Had no idea she was involved. All the hype is slowly getting to me. I really wanted to like this game when it was first unveiled, but every subsequent piece of media that came thereafter siphoned that euphoria til I was left with "everythingwasuncharted". I particularly like the mentioning of "wide-linear" exploration, and "atmosphere out the ass", someone also compared the game to survival horror. Color me interested

I really enjoyed Pratchett's work on Heavenly Sword. Her involvement with the project is one the biggest reasons why I am hyped for this game.

Lately ive been buying games, finishing them and trading them in. I want to keep one or two lol.

Seems to be just thrown in and not really any depth. I wouldn't expect much out of it at all..

RagnarokX

I don't get the idea that this game is more grounded/realistic/serious. It's more over the top than any TR that came before it; it lives in extremes. The setting is really interesting, aside from the shanty stuff, but from what I saw traversing the levels is so linear and guided and there are so many dudes to shoot that there's not much accomplishment getting anywhere. I'm hoping the second half is better than what I saw. It looked like it might be getting better when I decided to stop watching, but there still dudes to shoot like everywhere.

antitrop

TACKED ON BULLSHIT, just like...

H5dMfsn.jpg

At least that guy had the balls to say it and call 2K out.

Been watching the French stream of the PS3 version. Looks good. Doesn't appear they were hiding an inferior version by only showing the 360 game.

Andrew.

Banned
The replay value on this is going to be bollocks. I really wish they had included a NG+ feature at the very least since MP will be DOA and I have zero interest in it. I have a very strong feeling that after I finish it will be put towards Infinite. Nevertheless, I'm still psyched.

I really enjoyed Pratchett's work on Heavenly Sword. Her involvement with the project is one the biggest reasons why I am hyped for this game.
Yeah, she's got a lot to live up to with that name!
I don't get the idea that this game is more grounded/realistic/serious. It's more over the top than any TR that came before it; it lives in extremes. The setting is really interesting, aside from the shanty stuff, but from what I saw traversing the levels is so linear and guided and there are so many dudes to shoot that there's not much accomplishment getting anywhere. I'm hoping the second half is better than what I saw. It looked like it might be getting better when I decided to stop watching, but there still dudes to shoot like everywhere.
I honestly haven't kept up on this game too much due to the brouhaha that spun out of all of the missteps made by marketing. I've seen the E3 spots, the Conan video, and read through some of the reviews in the OP. I also listened to Brad talk about it on GB. It seems to open up a bit more in the second half according to him, and he seems to be coming around on it. I'm not expecting TR at all, but maybe a nice distraction before Bioshock drops would be nice. If there's more to it than the limited coverage I've seen then that'd be icing.

OwlyKnees

The replay value on this is going to be bollocks. I really wish they had included a NG+ feature at the very least since MP will be DOA and I have zero interest in it. I have a very strong feeling that after I finish it will be put towards Infinite. Nevertheless, I'm still psyched.

NG+ would be awkward, as it's such a progressive game. Entire scenes and sections would have to change, as allowing access to certain equipment or weapons early would break quite a few things.

Necrovex

It is probably a very good thing that this will be my first Tomb Raider game. Reading the complaints, it is understandable why a lot of the people seemed pissed about it.

Man, I cannot wait for my class to be over next week, so my spring break can begin, and I can play this bugger.

Trey

Both, one for being such an abusable system, the other for abusing it and then claiming the game was really easy

The person using it. People don't like to blame tools when they're misused - they blame the person. "Save anywhere" is a great feature because it gives the player options and freedom. If they don't want to use it, they don't have to. If they feel compelled to use it because it's there, they wanted the feature to begin with.

No one blames the game for having variable difficulty levels.

antitrop

And he still kept his job?
Seriously. You don't make the guys who fund your project look stupid.

Cory Davis actually doesn't work for them anymore, he now works for Spark Unlimited (in all likelihood working on Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z). There may be a lot of parallels here to Tomb Raider.

"The multiplayer mode of Spec Ops: The Line was never a focus of development, but the publisher was determined to have it anyway," he said. "It was literally a check box that the financial predictions said we needed, and 2K was relentless in making sure that it happened – even [to] the detriment of the overall project and the perception of the game."

He keeps going, too, calling it "tacked-on… bullshit, should not exist… there's no doubt that it's an overall failure". Yet, remarkably, he remains full of praise for 2K for taking a risk on a game that takes a markedly different approach to shooter storytelling.

"They took a hell of a lot of risk with the project that other publishers would not have had the balls to take," he said. "I'm proud of what we were able to achieve, and it was not easy.
http://www.edge-online.com/news/spec-ops-multiplayer-tacked-bullshit-says-lead-designer/

Multiplayer is ok. Played it for three hours and it's comparable to Uncharted but doesn't run as smooth as Naughty Dog's game. Controls feel a bit clunky in MP but overall I like it (more than Uncharted MP)
You can activate traps which is fun.

Singleplayer is superb though

Edit: SOUNDTRACK IS AWESOME

Top Bottom