• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Wasp14

I'm becoming more hyped for this game as the release date comes closer. I'm a big fan of Crystal Dynamics' other TR games and really like the direction of this reboot. Rhianna Pratchett's involvement is another plus to this more "serious" take on the character. This origin sort of reminds me of Green Arrow.

... way to be serious about it. I'd suggest playing the game first.

I exaggerated obviously, but I still feel the gameplay, from the tons of videos I've seen, looks wrong for the kind of narrative they've been talking up. Is that my fault for buying into what they had to say? Maybe, but I still think they should've went in a different direction. I'm attempting to accept that this is clearly not the Tomb Raider of old, but I can't blindly accept the new Tomb Raider they're pitching either just because "it's fun." If they want to make a serious narrative, they should receive serious criticism.

fuenf

I exaggerated obviously, but I still feel the gameplay, from the tons of videos I've seen, looks wrong for the kind of narrative they've been talking up. Is that my fault for buying into what they had to say? Maybe, but I still think they should've went in a different direction. I'm attempting to accept that this is clearly not the Tomb Raider of old, but I can't blindly accept the new Tomb Raider they're pitching either just because "it's fun."

Isolated most of the stuff goes against the narrative of the game, I'll give you that. It's just hard to judge the story / the narrative they are going for without experiencing it first hand. I'm not saying it's perfect or that Lara needs protection, but they do try to give you the feel that she needs help / protection. You can definitely enjoy it (the narrative) in a 'Heavy Rain' kind of way.

Harlequin

Haven't seen this in any other review of the game:

There are optional executions, mercy killings and even large combat areas that can be completely avoided by finding hidden paths or climbing buildings. There are, of course, moments where you’re forced to fight. And there are moments where it drags a little in this respect. Gaming’s old friend ‘the exploding barrel’ is there to help during these rather out-of-place sections, but they are few and far between and most of your time is spent doing what this game excels at - exploring.

http://*****.com/feature/10110942/Review-Tomb-Raider-2013

Sounds REALLY good! I guess most of the other reviewers simply didn't find those alternative paths :p.

EDIT:
Any PC reviews/videos of the game yet (complete with TressFX hair)?

I think we won't get those before Monday. I've heard people say that's when the embargo for PC footage lifts. Not sure why they'd have one in place, though. Nixxes has been working on porting this game for two years and they usually do pretty good PC ports so I'm sure it's got nothing to do with the PC port being crap :p.

EDIT 2: Apparently the embargo is in place because SteamWorks allows them to tweak the game up to the very last minute. So they're still trying to push the graphics even more before launch.

gdt

Come the fuck on, y'all.

wow at those "bush" "whore" "boobs" "less slutty" comments.

I did not mention anything about her being a whore or a slut of anything of the like. She does, in fact, show her ass, boobs, and (lack of ) bush on Californication. That does not make her a whore or a slut or whatever. She's an actress with a beautiful body....good on her for showing it off.

What changes does the patch make? General bug fixes?

I don't know really. Is there a way to check it? I mean a list of notes on PS3 or something?

3-4 hours into it now. I haven't played any game this non-stop for a long time i think. So far so good. Pros and cons again:

+ Fluid, exciting combat
+ Enemy AI is good. They try to flush you out of cover, fire at you a few times then take cover, etc.
+Great art design and graphics.
+Dodge mechanic is useful and add fleshes to combat.
+Cover system is good or lack of it i mean. She automatically hides when you are near low objects
+Animations are awesome
+Exploring feels nice though don't think is a sandbox game. More like Arkham Asylum.
+Awesome game design overall. Its like Uncharted+Arkham games and Alan Wake had a baby.
+Very high production values.
Edit: I can't comment on the story because i will play the game again with my mom as she loves Tomb Raider series and skipping cutscenes on my current playthrough!

I gotta say....I’m glad to see people being more positive towards the game now that all the reviews have come out and people are actually playing it and seem to be liking it a lot.

So far this thread isn't as shitty as I thought it would be. The difference is pretty big from some of the previous Tomb Raider threads when it seemed like me VS an army at times.

After reading the reviews I'm resigned that this has nothing of the major elements I wanted the game to have, but I'm really not interested in posting a bunch of the same complaints I've listed probably 5 times now yet again. It's close enough now that I'm just waiting to play it, then give my impressions on it both on its own and as a Tomb Raider game.

I'm also slightly more hopeful that if nothing else, the PR has only shown the earliest, most hand-holdy parts of the game. I have a bad feeling the end of the game will be 3 hours of cinematic laziness, and I'm going to be really pissed if the final sequence is her climbing out of a cave while you mash L2 and R2 in order to QTE jump to a helicopter.

I think I'll be able to get through most of this without falling asleep if it is indeed closer to Arkham than Uncharted.

Like a lot of those early 3-D games they have not aged well.

I need to try the PC versions, because I replayed TR2 about 2 years ago and I literally could not even tell what the fuck I was looking at for about 30 minutes. It was incredible to me that my brain was once able to tell where one polygon ended and another began because all I could see were chunky textures like someone threw up into a box of spare Legos.

I wish I could bash as good as Derrick does

Me too but as long as he keeps on keeping on, i've no need to brush up my skills.

currently £22 for PC at SimplyGames. Tempting but i've enough on my plate as it is. If i clear some backlog during the next two weeks i'm on holiday i might pick it up... but then we're close to NFS:MW, MonHun and Lego City Undercover so i may have to wait a bit longer.

Spazznid

Yes all 3 or 4 people have praised it so far.

It's like you are trying so hard not to be let down by this game. The force is strong with you, but we shall break you! come the final days, you'll be excited and caught up in the moment, and when you finally get to play, you'll find that all of Neogaf and all of the positive reviewers were lying in order to get you to let your guard down. Tomb Raider sucks and you'll have to live with your purchase and forevermore will Gaf taunt you for getting excited at all for a crappy game!

MUAHAHAHAHAHA

Biggzy

I need to try the PC versions, because I replayed TR2 about 2 years ago and I literally could not even tell what the fuck I was looking at for about 30 minutes. It was incredible to me that my brain was once able to tell where one polygon ended and another began because all I could see were chunky textures like someone threw up into a box of spare Legos.

I say that to myself for a lot of PS1 era games.

RagnarokX

Yeah, all the people who've played it and aren't raging over the marketing say it's actually quite good, imagine that ;)

One would think that people that are excited enough about a game to get it a week before it even comes out miiiiiiight be a bit biased. Still, these people have put videos of their playthroughs online, and from what I've seen I'm not happy with the game as a Tomb Raider. It's very heavy on shooting and very light on puzzles; I'd say the ratio of mandatory puzzles to combat, scripted events, and linear traversal lite is about 1:20.

Okay: compared to Uncharted then, the game is deep.

But so are most video games when compared to Uncharted, so it isn't saying much :)

#1reasonwhy

I hate to break it to you but the original Tomb Raiders, as much as I like them, I wouldn't consider deep either.

+Awesome game design overall. Its like Uncharted+Arkham games and Alan Wake had a baby.

So glad people are getting the Alan Wake vibe like I was. I'm NOT crazy! :D

antitrop

Huh? That would be better than forcing a checkpoint every 10 steps like most modern games.
Now you are just trying too hard. I can't even take that seriously.

If the checkpoints are bad, then that's something. But checkpoints in general? A huge positive. I'm not going to apologize for enjoying convenience.

Is this not going to be a day one digital title on PS3?

Disappointed if so

You'll be disappointed. It's not currently on Sony's Day 1 Digital List. Unless they simply don't list them all.

I did not mention anything about her being a whore or a slut of anything of the like. She does, in fact, show her ass, boobs, and (lack of ) bush on Californication. That does not make her a whore or a slut or whatever. She's an actress with a beautiful body....good on her for showing it off.

No one is talking about Camilla being a whore or slut. Just her character on Californication who is in fact both of those things. She's rather one dimensional on the show, and not much of an actress. The upside was she looked great naked. They didn't ask much more of her fortunately, because she appeared to lack the acting ability to pull off anything more than her clothes.

If the checkpoints are bad, then that's something. But checkpoints in general? A huge positive. I'm not going to apologize for enjoying convenience.

Derrick wants to live in a world not touched by mainstream, evolved gaming. To each their own. Just get used to his banter or use that ignore button.

Trey

I caved in and ended up buying the PC version with the CAGROCKS promotion.

I'm not expecting I'll regret it. It's the only game of that type I will own.

Sounds like the checkpoints/hubs are similar to the start of levels in the XBLA/PSN game in that they tell you how many collectibles etc are still unfound. I love that.

I hate to break it to you but the original Tomb Raiders, as much as I like them, I wouldn't consider deep either.

So glad people are getting the Alan Wake vibe like I was. I'm NOT crazy! :D

I could possibly agree with that. The games were more challenging and immersive than necessarily deep. Might depend on what you'd consider gives a game depth. Certainly would be tough to defend the combat.

I dunno about Alan Wake, but certainly I've been more impressed with the game's atmosphere than anything I've seen so far. It's not TR, but it appeals to me.

Huh? That would be better than forcing a checkpoint every 10 steps like most modern games.

Aren't you both just saying you'd prefer not being able to continue 10 steps away from where you died?

Derrick01

Banned

Trying too hard? You ask any PC gamer what they'd prefer and they'll all say manual saving over checkpoints. If someone has no control over themselves and saves/restarts before every major encounter that's not my problem.

Fine Ham Abounds said:
Aren't you both just saying you'd prefer not being able to continue 10 steps away from where you died?

I guess, I'm not really sure in his case. Manual saving gives you greater control over that though.

AEREC

Having the game save automatically every 10 steps is better than having to pause the game and go through the process of manually saving every 10 steps.

I dunno about Alan Wake, but certainly I've been more impressed with the game's atmosphere than anything I've seen so far. It's not TR, but it appeals to me.

Yeah Alan Wake had atmosphere out the ass and the new TR does as well, along with have a huge realized island to explore. Though not opened ended persay, the feeling of it all being connected comes out well.

Top Bottom