• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Gold_Loot

Welp, between the reviews, positive GAF impressions , and Tricky I Shadow, I just put down a last minute pre order (PS3). Keeping my fingers crossed for a solid romp.

RagnarokX

Opps I might be confusing it then with this other area I'm at.

I only watched half the game, but
the monastery is the part where Lara gets tied up for the 3rd time and has to escape. I haven't seen the rest of the game, so maybe you go back there? But Lara kinda destroyed the shit out of it.

I only watched half the game, but
the monastery is the part where Lara gets tied up for the 3rd time and has to escape. I haven't seen the rest of the game, so maybe you go back there? But Lara kinda destroyed the shit out of it.

So your saying
I'm only half way? Cause I'm leaving that place now with the grenade launcher. I've been playing at least 5 -6 hours so far.

How in the world could collectibles be fun to get? Sounds like crazy people to me.

The same could be said for people that like manual saves. ;)

Amir0x

Banned
How in the world could collectibles be fun to get? Sounds like crazy people to me.

There are people that to this day tell me Donkey Kong 64 was fun

because of the collecting you do

seriously DK64 was the fucking worst

i could see collecting being fun when the collectible is basically just a glorified goal and the whole fun is in getting to the collectible - lots of obstacles in your way, challenges, etc. Of course, that won't be the case in Tomb Raider with its nonsense platforming and skilless, challengeless gameplay, but collecting COULD be fun in that sense if a game tried at all.

Derrick01

Banned
Fun is for crazy people, Derrick.

If the collectibles don't do anything then I don't see what's fun about scanning inch by inch of land for them. Since it seems like every game throws them in now I can tell you as a trophy whore it's the worst part of playing a game for me. They serve no purpose but to give OCD people another boring, meaningless task to do and artificially extend a game's length.

Amir0x

Banned
If the collectibles don't do anything then I don't see what's fun about scanning inch by inch of land for them. Since it seems like every game throws them in now I can tell you as a trophy whore it's the worst part of playing a game for me. They serve no purpose but to give OCD people another boring, meaningless task to do and artificially extend a game's length.

reminder: you're talking to a forum with a huge Animal Crossing subcommunity, a game based entirely on doing horrific menial chores and collecting shit all day long. People pay $50 to do shitty chores and press A to grab a package from one animal and deliver it to the next. With absolutely zero gameplay in between, unless you count the comically shallow fishing and bug catching "gameplay". Compared to AC, Tomb Raider is basically like... I don't know, Demon's Souls? lol

derFeef

You being a Trophy whore is new to me and I may need to lay down now because it melts my brain. It goes against anything you say about modern games and such.

Brb making tee and a footbath, this is too much.

Kyon

Banned
reminder: you're talking to a forum with a huge Animal Crossing subcommunity, a game based entirely on doing horrific menial chores and collecting shit all day long. People pay $50 to do shitty chores and press A to grab a package from one animal and deliver it to the next. With absolutely zero gameplay in between, unless you count the comically shallow fishing and bug catching "gameplay". Compared to AC, Tomb Raider is basically like... I don't know, Demon's Souls? lol

That sounds so vile. But as a Tomb Raider fan collectible a weren't even that hard to find now that I think about it. Anyway yeah that's just vile

Amir0x

Banned
Amir0x, are you buying this game? I already know Derrick is.

At some point. But only in a way where I don't give any money to the publisher/devs. So in a used game bin or via Craigslist or something.

I was almost tempted though by the tressFX shit. I wanna know if my rig can run it at an acceptable framerate lol

fuenf

There are tons of collectibles hidden along the path of normal progression. I agree that it isnt much fun to search for a single collectible, but in this game it's actually fun & worth it to explore the areas you are in, without it being much of a hinderens. Sure it got its fair share of bling bling collectibles( a la Uncharted) too, but there are more than enough interesting collectibles (diaries, artifects).

RagnarokX

So your saying
I'm only half way? Cause I'm leaving that place now with the grenade launcher. I've been playing at least 5 -6 hours so far.

That's where I stopped watching, and the game is supposedly 10-12 hours. Maybe it's half, I hope it's not more than half cuz that would be disappointing. Everything up to that point felt extremely guided and there were only like 3 real mandatory puzzles.

I'm not an Animal Crossing player, but I can definitely see how someone could eke more enjoyment out of slowly building up their village than they could from barreling down a brainless, repetitive corridor, trudging from poorly written witty quip to poorly written witty quip with the occasional set-piece to keep the gun out of your mouth.

Derrick01

Banned
Haha, oh man, I don't know if the game is actually gonna be fun, but this back and forth is entertaining :lol

Are you picking the game up Derrick?

Yeah I was able to get the PC version for $27 so I jumped. Playing a crummy console version is out of the question for me.

The animal crossing people are a special kind of disturbing to me. I don't get the appeal of that game at all largely for the reasons you listed. Maybe if you could play with other real people things could be somewhat interesting if it was treated as a sort of virtual community. But the way the games are now it's the most pointless "game" in existence probably.

You being a Trophy whore is new to me and I may need to lay down now because it melts my brain. It goes against anything you say about modern games and such.

Brb making tee and a footbath, this is too much.

A modest one at least. I only have 20 platinums and I don't rent shovelware for trophies like other people do, I only try to platinum games I was already going to play. But every damn game has a collectible trophy now and it drives me crazy. I've been playing Vanquish and I could probably platinum it if I wanted to but one of the 2 trophies I'm missing is one where you have to find about 110 statues throughout the game. I do not have the patience or will to do that.

Raptor

God forbid some people have fun collecting shit in games just for the simple satisfaction of searching and well "collect"

fuenf

At some point. But only in a way where I don't give any money to the publisher/devs. So in a used game bin or via Craigslist or something.

I was almost tempted though by the tressFX shit. I wanna know if my rig can run it at an acceptable framerate lol

Come on that's ridiculous :( I know you probably wont believe me, but this game deserves far more attention than it's currently getting, this whole is "protect her/ her enemies" is just bullshit and doesn't do the game justice. Tbh I fear for the future of vidoegaming if games like TR were to flop.

RagnarokX

I like Animal Crossing, and I like collecting shit, but has to be done smart. Having relics hidden in secret areas that are a challenge to get to is smart. Collecting shit just laying around levels is not.

Andrew.

Banned
I've been playing Vanquish and I could probably platinum it if I wanted to but one of the 2 trophies I'm missing is one where you have to find about 110 statues throughout the game. I do not have the patience or will to do that.

There's only like two or three of those statues per level and the game is what? 6 stages? It isn't difficult. Ah the hyperbole with you is endless.

lol.

edit: ok, some levels had 4, but still, the game is so damn fun anyway.

DukeBobby

Animal Crossing was only worth playing for the NES games.

gdt

I like collectibles well enough if

A) I get a useful reward for them...not +10 health either, something actual useful/physical attribute (higher jump, new weapon/weapon upgrade...etc)

B) There is some sort of radar or tracking system to find them. Even if I have to unlock/buy/spend RPG points on it. Actually that's probably better than starting with it.

Derrick01

Banned
There's only like two or three of those statues per level and the game is what? 6 stages? It isn't difficult. Ah the hyperbole with you is endless.

lol.

From the trophy guide

Another thing you can focus on during this playthrough is finding all of the collectibles in the game, which are known as Pangloss Statues. There are four statues per level, excluding the first chapter of the first Act, totalling up to 112 statues across the entire game.

Fact is apparently hyperbole now.

antitrop

Most agreeable thing you've said in any thread about Tomb Raider I've seen.

Mindman

You will go to any length to knock this game. OMG

RagnarokX

lol.

Not being difficult isn't a good thing... Collecting stuff should be an optional challenge, not padding.

You will go to any length to knock this game. OMG

The reviews and footage say the collecting is ridiculous. It's like Rare levels of bullshit.

Destroy 5 lanterns, collect X bushes, light 10 buddah statues, why?

I like collecting stuff, but not if you're just collecting stuff. The hidden packages in GTA games? Boring. The shards in inFamous? Boring.

Riddler Trophies? THAT'S how you do collectibles.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

They are great if they are meaningful collectibles. Stuff like Darksiders, where they extended your health bar or were augments for your weapons. This game, no so much. It is kinda fun to climb around though, and you just run into stuff because there is so much of it.

So your saying

More like 3/4th through.

antitrop

To be fair that criticism counts towards just about every modern console game.
Despite being an amazing game, I almost despise Alan Wake because of that shit. Trying to find all that stupid bullshit (except for the TVs with the Twilight Zone show, forget what it was called, that was amazing) completely took me out of the entire experience.

derFeef

Most agreeable thing you've said in any thread about Tomb Raider I've seen.

Collecting is for OCD people, but getting your platinum Trophy is not.
Yeah.... sure. He basically lost all credibility he had to me. achievements/trophies are by far worse than any "modern game mechanic" he hates so much, it's funny how contradictory that is.

edit: it's late and my english is bad, I apologize.

antitrop

The efforts I had to make to find the manuscript pages took me out of the experience more than they added to it, despite being well-written and extremely important to the plot.

Instead of being all tense and nervous as I carefully made my way through the woods, I was running around the same seven trees for 10 minutes making 100% sure I didn't miss anything silly.

And you could say "Well you don't have to look for everything", which also would ruin the experience since you miss out on all the awesome television shows and the important manuscript plot devices.

Just terrible game design, God damnit.

Derrick01

Banned
Collecting is for OCD people, but getting your platinum Trophy is not.
Yeah.... sure. He basically lost all credibility he had to me. achievements/trophies are by far worse than any "modern game mechanic" he hates so much to me, it's funny how contradictory that is.

First I never claimed achievements/trophies weren't geared towards people with OCD tendencies, they quite clearly are. Second no, system level achievements are not anywhere near as bad as actual dumbed down gameplay mechanics. They are not the cause of that either, casual gamers and high budgets are and it's done far more damage to gaming than a ding noise has. Unless you're one of those people who think developers design their entire game around an achievement list which has been proven false and is up there with 9/11 conspiracy theories on the wacko scale.

That's where I stopped watching, and the game is supposedly 10-12 hours. Maybe it's half, I hope it's not more than half cuz that would be disappointing. Everything up to that point felt extremely guided and there were only like 3 real mandatory puzzles.

Well unless that video you watched the guy was hauling ass. I've been playing for a good bit, at least 5-6 hours and exploring and such. If not longer. I'm estimating since there is no timer but I've had 3 good play sessions since starting.

Andrew.

Banned
The efforts I had to make to find the manuscript pages took me out of the experience more than they added to it, despite being well-written and extremely important to the plot.

Really? For me it just sucked me in even more since some of the pages were scattered out of the way enough for the forest to get super pissed at you and start sending Taken. I found it to be one of the more thrilling aspects of the experience, searching for those things.

Amir0x

Banned
Animal Crossing was only worth playing for the NES games.

I totally agree. It's probably why I have an extraordinary hate of Animal Crossing (i genuinely consider it the worst series of all time). I spent so many wasted hours trying to collect all the NES games. I still have the damned Gamecube memory card just cause I need it as a reminder of how bad games can get :p

I'm not an Animal Crossing player, but I can definitely see how someone could eke more enjoyment out of slowly building up their village than they could from barreling down a brainless, repetitive corridor, trudging from poorly written witty quip to poorly written witty quip with the occasional set-piece to keep the gun out of your mouth.

If it was really about slowly building up a village, and there were good ways and bad ways to do it that had any meaningful impact, I'd agree. But basically it's just if you don't visit weeds grow, and some animals might move away. The rest is basically someone just trying to fucking match wallpaper and rugs because for some reason they obsessively want oranges to decorate their house.

I agree with the premise of your concept, just not that AC is a good example of an alternative to what you mentioned. Might as well play an iPad game.

But now we're really wildly off subject: just sayin', if people can enjoy the garbage collecting in AC, it can't surprise me people find fun in that shit in Tomb Raider :p

I like Animal Crossing, and I like collecting shit, but has to be done smart. Having relics hidden in secret areas that are a challenge to get to is smart. Collecting shit just laying around levels is not.

Tomb Raider's gameplay by its nature couldn't facilitate any fun sort of collecting, since it's all mindless, skilless nonsense. But I agree with you. I'm pretty sure the relics, as you say, are probably the best example you'll find of collecting shit that approaches something like 'fun' in TR.

I grabbed every collectible I could find in Uncharted. It mainly just resulted in a trophy unlocking, but I still loved seeing those little glowy bits in the distance.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It took me around 9 1/2 hours to complete it at 78%.

Tomb Raider's gameplay by its nature couldn't facilitate any fun sort of collecting, since it's all mindless, skilless nonsense. But I agree with you. I'm pretty sure the relics, as you say, are probably the best example you'll find of collecting shit that approaches something like 'fun' in TR.

If they had tied the upgrades for Lara and her guns into the collectibles instead of that silly skill point system, it would have been really nice looking for that stuff.

Andrew.

Banned
I grabbed every collectible I could find in Uncharted. It mainly just resulted in a trophy unlocking, but I still loved seeing those little glowy bits in the distance.

And the treasures themselves actually looked pretty damn cool. They needed brief descriptions of them. I always make it a point to find every treasure in those games.

They are great if they are meaningful collectibles. Stuff like Darksiders, where they extended your health bar or were augments for your weapons. This game, no so much. It is kinda fun to climb around though, and you just run into stuff because there is so much of it.

More like 3/4th through.

Hmmm. I played till Shanty Town by skipping cutscenes. Then started on normal difficulty and watched all cutscenes from the start of it and it took 4 hours 40 minutes till i get to that part where you get the nade launcher. So its bullshit that the game takes 12-15 hours to finish?

Edit:
D[U said:
[/U]errick01;48543444]On normal? I plan on playing Hard as I don't expect normal to give me any challenge. That's such a low length for a game implementing so many features though.

And yes, i highly suggest that, the game is way too easy on the normal difficulty. I died 3 times in combat and 5-6 times on QTE's because i didn't see them. Its easy on normal difficulty.

Top Bottom