• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Is hard actually tougher in terms of enemy AI and puzzles or is it simply a "enemies do more damage pr. shot so you have to stay more in cover?" Just curious.

Don't know, I didn't play on Normal. I do know that the difficulty only augments combat as the option is actually called combat difficulty. The AI wasn't bad, though. It might have been worse that it seems though because they mix in the melee guys with the range guys pretty well.

GAH! Shattering my reassurance in a heartbeat! The same relic map!? That sounds a bit lazy.

Fuck! Differing impressions from GAF, the only source I trust!

The tombs aren't anything involved. They do a good job in being the calm moments, though.

Well, that is reassuring to hear, even if they are smaller. Anyway to turn off those Hud messages about the secrets being nearby?

Yeah stuff like that doesn't seem possible to disable. I'm hoping the other
4 tombs
I have yet to discover perhaps require a bit more effort to find once the message is displayed.

Don't know, I didn't play on Normal. I do know that the difficulty only augments combat as the option is actually called combat difficulty. The AI wasn't bad, though. It might have been worse that it seems though because they mix in the melee guys with the range guys pretty well.

Yeah I'm playing on hard as well. I'd say it only effects difficulty of enemies and your health damage. I can't see it changing anything with the minor puzzles.

antitrop

Why is it bullshit!?

I'm more excited about the hair tech than a lot of the game! It'll redefine hair movement/physics in-game! Sure, it'll be a huge performance hit but it'll be swaying!
Sorry, I use the term "bullshit" and most profanity very casually. Here I was just merely using it as a synonym for "thing".

I'm actually very excited for it.

DukeBobby

Why is it bullshit!?

I'm more excited about the hair tech than a lot of the game! It'll redefine hair movement/physics in-game! Sure, it'll be a huge performance hit but it'll be swaying!

Is there a video showing the tech yet? I hope it's not one of those things that looks great in screenshots, but not so great in motion.

The only thing I'm worried about with TR is replayability. I feel like I'll play it once and forget about it.

I can't remember if I expressed it here (I definitely did on GameFAQs), but that's exactly how I feel.

Tomb Raider Legend did it right. The levels weren't big, and finding the important relics that granted costumes and weapon unlocks usually involved finding alternate solutions to the established puzzles. There weren't tons of relics and they were, for the most part, easy to find. You were in an out.

Definitely.

And a total "ewww!" @ the Riddler trophies. There were so fricking many! lol But more importantly, I didn't get a single ounce of fun out of solving the "puzzles" to get them. Many of them were frustrating as heck to do.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
Why is it bullshit!?

hard to believe it will be a huge performance hit considering it will be only rendering the main character hair, maybe a huge hit on cutscenes?

Eideka

Banned
hard to believe it will be a huge performance hit considering it will be only rendering the main character hair, maybe a huge hit on cutscenes?

Nixxes confirmed during a Q&A that it's by far the most demanding effect in the game. I'm not sure it will destroy my GTX670 but the performance hit will be there.

Being perfectly fine with 30fps it's not a problem.

s there a video showing the tech yet? I hope it's not one of those things that looks great in screenshots, but not so great in motion.
Not yet, AMD is probably bound by the same NDA as gaming outlets regarding the PC version.

RagnarokX

GAH! Shattering my reassurance in a heartbeat! The same relic map!? That sounds a bit lazy.

Fuck! Differing impressions from GAF, the only source I trust!

Not the SAME relic map, but your prize for doing a "secret" tomb is a relic map for the area the tomb is in.

antitrop

If TressFX is the difference between me getting locked 60 and not, I'm turning it off. I have a GTX 590, though, so I'm not particularly worried.

dreamfall

Sorry, I use the term "bullshit" and most profanity very casually. Here I was just merely using it as a synonym for "thing".

I'm actually very excited for it.

Ah, awesome! We're on the same page!

Nothing sucks you more into the brooding, grim, psychopathic new world of Laura Croft without swooshy hair.

Psycho killers require a proper hair sway! I want to see her hair shake with the same fury as those shotgun shells as they hit an enemy's body!

Andrew.

Banned
Come Tuesday, I really hope some of you guys post swooshy hair .gifs.

I dont have a powerhouse PC so I won't be able to experience the hair factor.

dEvAnGeL

Gold Member
If TressFX is the difference between me getting locked 60 and not, I'm turning it off. I have a GTX 590, though, so I'm not particularly worried.
i have a 580 and i much prefer the 60 frames than the pretty hair, still i find hard to believe this will be so heavy on frames, i mean i was able to run batman AC with physics on high and everything else on max and i did had the occasional dip here and there but it was a constant 60 most of the time, one can hope

RoKKeR

All of this hair tech talk, is it PC or all versions? Alice was fantastic.
PC, DX11 cards only.

lara_3frame.jpg

tress_before_after1.jpg

RagnarokX

Yes I've been told there is
total. Granted I won't lie some of the places the campaign takes you feels Tomb-ish if you ask me.

Well, as I've said, I've seen up to the part you are at, and only 3 areas up to that point felt tomb-ish, but after a short, fairly simple puzzle in each case the game always devolved back into a scripted action event or shooting gallery. That's why I said the ratio of required puzzles to scripted stuff and combat was like 1:20.

And now it turns out there are hardly any optional puzzles, as well.

sleepykyo

How in the world could collectibles be fun to get? Sounds like crazy people to me.

A big part of platforming games is solving how to get from A to B and timing jumps, right?
Collectibles can end up as B. While most of the collectibles in Infamous were badly done, a couple of them in Arkham ever included a decent sense of timing or some application of Batman's various gadgets.

edit: Beaten worse than the scavengers.

dreamfall

Well, as I've said, I've seen up to the part you are at, and only 3 areas up to that point felt tomb-ish, but after a short, fairly simple puzzle in each case the game always devolved back into a scripted action event or shooting gallery. That's why I said the ratio of required puzzles to scripted stuff and combat was like 1:20.

Sheesh. Not highlighting that Tomb count spoiler, but this is disappointing. Haven't seen much video, and definitely nothing regarding the tombs.

Does anyone know why PCGamer hasn't posted a review yet? They were quite critical with their preview...

I think they are waiting for greenlight concerning Tress FX/ playing it on the PC.

Derrick01

Banned
Does anyone know why PCGamer hasn't posted a review yet? They were quite critical with their preview...

RPS hasn't either. PC places weren't able to get a copy until recently so their reviews are going to be delayed.

Maybe SE knew they'd be the only places that would actually criticize the game.

antitrop

TotalBiscuit specifically said that even though he got a 360 review copy, he's waiting until next week to post his impressions of the PC version.

For those who have played a good deal of the game or better, those who have finished it. Do you see yourself replaying this game ever?

I replay games on and off. Personally I already want to restart the game and pretty sure I'm picking the pc version up myself. So yes. I want to replay it and intend to do so. The atmosphere and setting I think being my favorite parts so far. With everything else just being so damn enjoyable for me. Granted March is a HUGE month so might have to wait to replay after it slows down.

And now it turns out there are hardly any optional puzzles, as well.

Granted some will be sorely turned off by this, honestly it hasn't bothered me. Plain and simple. Milage will vary with everyone.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
watched my cousin playing this on his channel.

man...dude,why? the limitations (where Lara can go or jump) and the small and narrow "tomb"... just..,how you can they have less freedom in moves and exploration when you go open world?...I have no words here.

For those who have played a good deal of the game or better, those who have finished it. Do you see yourself replaying this game ever?

Not really. Someone said that the part i am at is around 3/4 of the game. So i can say the first 1/4 of the game is awesome but the rest, i don't know. Especially the last one or two hours just passed by combat. No exploration or anything at all except for one simple puzzle. I am starting to think that i got overexcited for this game. At first it was like 9/10 or so for the first one or two hours, then it all became a decent third person shooter.

Top Bottom