• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

What show/movie is she working on now? Or is she a doctor in real life when she's not getting completely naked on Californication and rebooting Tomb Raider?

So guess what? Amazon just sent me an email saying Tomb Raider will be available to download March 1 at 8am. Guess they will send out keys early for a preload after all.

eat it, Antitrop :p

As of right now (half way through) Tomb Raider is the game I wanted Uncharted 3 to be. Although I have to admit that the Uncharted comparison doesnt really do the game justice, yes it's influenced by Uncharted (and many other games) but it's still an action adventure with shooting elements and not the other way around.

Hmm. That's good. What did you want Uncharted 3 to be exactly?

I expect to replay it someday. I think the best comparison in regards to replay value is Uncharted 2. Just like U2, TR has got some amazing set pieces and levels which are worth experiencing multiple times if you are into cinematic gameplay...

I did replay Uncharted 2 at least once, but it wasn't just for the amazing set pieces. It was also the pacing and story.

S1kkZ

yep, i have to eat crow. the game is good. its everything i always wanted uncharted to be.

however, the framerate on 360 gets really bad. a permanent constant stutter (framerate seems to jump between 30 and 25 fps all the time), which can get really bad in some of the bigger fights. the game looks fantastic and really impressive, but they really should have optimized the framerate a bit more.

Erasus

yep, i have to eat crow. the game is good. its everything i always wanted uncharted to be.

however, the framerate on 360 gets really bad. a permanent constant stutter (framerate seems to jump between 30 and 25 fps all the time), which can get really bad in some of the bigger fights. the game looks fantastic and really impressive, but they really should have optimized the framerate a bit more.

Gonna wait for DF on this to see how the PS3 version is. Though I trust that more than people saying "its fine", some said that about Far Cry 3 on PS3 xD

S1kkZ

Gonna wait for DF on this to see how the PS3 version is. Though I trust that more than people saying "its fine", some said that about Castlevaina LoS xD

also played the ps3 version today (at a friends house, different tv) and it seems to have the same issues.

DukeBobby

Gonna wait for DF on this to see how the PS3 version is. Though I trust that more than people saying "its fine", some said that about Far Cry 3 on PS3 xD

What was wrong with the PS3 version of Far Cry 3? A friend of mine has it on the PS3, and it looked fine to me.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
BEOsD8nCYAAyvKV.jpg

Wow i want that xbox
So 360 get a red controller & PS3 folk get this
BB_313468_01+(1).jpg

dat D-Pad

Slacker

Speaking of controllers, what are members of the PC Elite planning to use? Controller or KB/M? If there's no auto-locking targeting seems like kb/m may be worth getting used to.

fuenf

Hmm. That's good. What did you want Uncharted 3 to be exactly?

I wanted it to be more than just a collection of set pieces, everything felt over the top and exaggerated. I didnt like how EVERYTIME how had to climb an object, something would go wrong. It felt like they sacrificied gameplay for a more cinematic gameplay experience. Tomb Raider plays more along the lines of Uncharted 2, yes it has more than its fair show of "Hollywood" moments but they are well paced so far and for the most part enhance the gameplay exerpience. Contrarily in Uncharted 3 most of them felt like unnecessary obstacles for dramatic effect. The gameplay (jumping/shooting) feels tighter in Tomb Raider and CD has build a more coherent world to explore . Most importantly Lara is actually a likeable character. Whereas Lara is thrusted into a desperate situation and has to come to terms with it, Drake acted like a giant douche in U3 and got the characters who are most important to him in all kinds of trouble.

In terms of fun Tomb Raider rivals Uncharted 2 for me (mainly because of its gameplay), unfortunately the side characters arent as good/fleshed out as the ones in any of the Uncharted games (that's my biggest criticism with TR so far).

It's the same on PS3, but I still think it's one of the best looking 3rd party titles out there.

Dead

well not really...yet
Let me ask you. I'm at
the part shortly after getting the grenade launcher having set my friends free
and have played about 5-6..maybe 7 hours. No time counter I can find on 360 version but guessing off the three good sessions I've had with the game. How much would you say I have left?

Took me 7 on hard! Dang SON! lol
Took me 12 hours to beat Rising on Hard lol

Fast travel to previously played missions? With already acquired equipment after the game has been finished? I know you're able to explore the island fully once you complete it.

Before asking anything, forgive me for I have not been exposed to any gameplay yet:

Do you explore/fast travel in similar fashion as Dragons Dogma, Dead Island, or Arkham Asylum, or something else?

Andrew.

Banned
Before asking anything, forgive me for I have not been exposed to any gameplay yet:

Do you explore/fast travel in similar fashion as Dragons Dogma, Dead Island, or Arkham Asylum, or something else?

From what I saw it looked similar to Ass Creed and the like with the campfires symbolizing zones. I'm assuming those are save spots/fast travel spots.

Has the Giant Bomb review been posted?

http://www.giantbomb.com/reviews/tomb-raider-review/1900-561/

4/5

I only read the first and last paragraphs and skimmed everything in between.

If the goal of the "reboot" is to free a creaky old franchise of its baggage, strip its protagonist of their larger-than-life attributes, and get back to basics, then consider the new Tomb Raider a successful reboot. The game relieves Lara Croft of her backflipping, wisecracking ways, recasting her as a wide-eyed young archeologist of no particular good breeding, out on a commissioned ship to make her mark on the world by finding--and shooting a reality TV series around--the lost island kingdom of Yamatai. The harrowing survival tale that commences once she arrives on the island molds Lara into a shockingly capable killer a little faster than I would have liked, but ultimately this origin story serves as a sturdier and more respectable springboard for further Lara Croft adventures than any previous game in the series.

Tomb Raider might be guilty of trying to do too many things at once, but the relative quality of each one of those individual things is high enough that the whole is still pretty satisfying. The game deftly rises above the unpleasant tone of the marketing that preceded it, recasting Lara Croft as a capable young heroine for whom many new adventures inevitably await.

B-Dex

From what I saw it looked similar to Ass Creed and the like with the campfires symbolizing zones. I'm assuming those are save spots/fast travel spots.

Yeah you can fast travel to any of the camps. No, you can't replay "levels". You'd have to start a new game. You can explore the environments though for collectibles etc...

Top Bottom