• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

c6ccaab481f711e2998822000a1fbc5d_6.jpg

Yay, my copy just turned up. :D

Fracas

#fuckonami
I'm really excited for this game, but I still can't decide whether to buy it or rent it. I never pay full price...

Maybe I can sell all the preorder stuff.

Fracas

#fuckonami
But you did the OT! YOU MUST BUY IT!

Aha, not entirely sure. Definitely bought it myself on PC.

I'd be all over that deal, but alas, I am a console peasant.

I want to own it and support Crystal Dynamics, but I know I probably won't touch it again after I finish.

Harlequin

Have to ask again. So the reviews saying it's 12-15 hours is false?

It obviously depends on one's skill and play style. I'm sure you can get 12-15 hours out of the game just completing the story (why would those reviewers have said that otherwise?) and I'm sure whoever said he completed it in 9 or 10 hours actually did so, as well.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Have to ask again. So the reviews saying it's 12-15 hours is false?

Maybe to get everything in the game. I was in no rush, played on hard, got 78% completion and ended up around 9-10 hours. Reviewers always overblow how long games are. Always.

Ok. Sounds good. I just read on GameFAQs someone saying he completed the game at 22-24 hrs but he explored every nook and cranny.

I have no idea how that is even close to possible.

It obviously depends on one's skill and play style. I'm sure you can get 12-15 hours out of the game just completing the story (why would those reviewers have said that otherwise?) and I'm sure whoever said he completed it in 9 or 10 hours actually did so, as well.

Ok. Sounds good. I just read on GameFAQs someone saying he completed the game at 22-24 hrs but he explored every nook and cranny.

I expect DLC tombs. Maybe that'll add more hrs to it.
Maybe to get everything in the game. I was in no rush, played on hard, got 78% completion and ended up around 9-10 hours. Reviewers always overblow how long games are. Always.

9-10 hrs is still pretty good is that's the average. It's longer than most single player games of this gen.

Let me ask you. I'm at
the part shortly after getting the grenade launcher having set my friends free
and have played about 5-6..maybe 7 hours. No time counter I can find on 360 version but guessing off the three good sessions I've had with the game. How much would you say I have left?

Yea I was disappointed how reviewers were saying Rising was a 4-5 hour game and it turned out to be 3 hours.

Took me 7 on hard! Dang SON! lol

Jarmel

Banned

Yea I was disappointed how reviewers were saying Rising was a 4-5 hour game and it turned out to be 3 hours.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Let me ask you. I'm at
the part shortly after getting the grenade launcher having set my friends free
and have played about 5-6..maybe 7 hours. No time counter I can find on 360 version but guessing off the three good sessions I've had with the game. How much would you say I have left?

Still a decent chunk of game left. You are about to get to the best part of the game. Lots of exploration and traversal.

9-10 hrs is still pretty good is that's the average. It's longer than most single player games of this gen.

Most games like this are over at 7 or so hours, and like I just told slash this one is getting to its best parts. That rarely happens nowadays.

Still a decent chunk of game left. You are about to get to the best part of the game. Lots of exploration and traversal.

Most games like this are over at 7 or so hours, and like I just told slash this one is getting to its best parts. That rarely happens nowadays.

I know the reviews mention the final third of the game is pretty amazing. That's how games should be. The climax should be the best part of the game. I think I've played so many games this gen where it fizzled out towards the end which left me disappointed.

^^^^^^THIS... THIS PLEASES ME! I already really enjoy this game. Well Shit!

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Sorry if it's been answered many times over, is it normal that the game is apparently out in Canada? Local Best Buy says they have it if I check the website. Wiki page says the game release date is March 5.

Harlequin

Sorry if it's been answered many times over, is it normal that the game is apparently out in Canada? Local Best Buy says they have it if I check the website. Wiki page says the game release date is March 5.

A lot of retailers seem to be selling this one early. The official release date really is March 5th, though.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Lots of stores don't give a damn at this point. I already beat it but a Target in Houston had this and Naruto out. I did get Naruto, though lol

RagnarokX

Found it slow? Personally I've felt the pacing has been excellent. I've been enthralled the whole time.

I'd say the action gets high, but it's so guided that although it looks intense, it doesn't really play intense. It's the kind of stuff where failure is more due to chance or lack of psychic ability than lack of skill. What I'm looking for in the game is a feeling that I'm really accomplishing something when I reach a destination; doing tricky platforming and solving puzzles to find my way. Up until
the Solari hideout
I felt the platforming was very plain by the numbers, especially the overuse of the
rope arrow
. Ironically the
Solari hideout
, which kinda bores me thematically, is where the game appears to pick up and look somewhat interesting, which is why I stopped watching there. There were a lot of interesting areas leading up to that point, but unfortunately not much happened in them apart from shooting dudes and scripted events.

So I found it slow because it felt like a "When are they going to get to the fireworks factory?!" type deal. I just wanted to watch footage until it got interesting to me, and that's how long it took. That disappoints me.

So I found it slow because it felt like a "When are they going to get to the fireworks factory?!" type deal. I just wanted to watch footage until it got interesting to me, and that's how long it took. That disappoints me.

Understandable. Hopefully you find actually playing the game much more enthralling.

chrono01

I'm not worried about the length of the game. When I play Adventure games such as this, or games with incredible art direction in general, I take my time. A lot.

I'm probably one of the few that actually choose to slightly tilt the control stick so my character will slow walk through the environment. I do this in areas where there's a lot of interesting things to look at, or if it's during a dramatic part. It happens on reaction. Unless, of course, there's something pushing me to run forward [such as a collapsing platform].

I really immerse myself in the world. I never simply rush through the world, that's such a waste.

s-bojan

Banned
Not really. Someone said that the part i am at is around 3/4 of the game. So i can say the first 1/4 of the game is awesome but the rest, i don't know. Especially the last one or two hours just passed by combat. No exploration or anything at all except for one simple puzzle. I am starting to think that i got overexcited for this game. At first it was like 9/10 or so for the first one or two hours, then it all became a decent third person shooter.

I agree.
The first few hours are really great. I think that the game peaked with
the radio tower
. It slowly goes downhill after that.

It's feeling like an eternity in these last couple days of waiting.

Theory of relativity from Deep Blue Sea pops in my mind

I'm not worried about the length of the game. When I play Adventure games such as this, or games with incredible art direction in general, I take my time. A lot.

I'm probably one of the few that actually choose to slightly tilt the control stick so my character will slow walk through the environment. I do this in areas where there's a lot of interesting things to look at, or if it's during a dramatic part. It happens on reaction. Unless, of course, there's something pushing me to run forward [such as a collapsing platform].

I really immerse myself in the world. I never simply rush through the world, that's such a waste.
I do that!

RoKKeR

Not really. Someone said that the part i am at is around 3/4 of the game. So i can say the first 1/4 of the game is awesome but the rest, i don't know. Especially the last one or two hours just passed by combat. No exploration or anything at all except for one simple puzzle. I am starting to think that i got overexcited for this game. At first it was like 9/10 or so for the first one or two hours, then it all became a decent third person shooter.
Damn, that really killed my hype.

Maybe I'll save my Gamestop credit for something else...? The indecision is killing me.

fuenf

I think I'm halfway through the game (32% / 5 of 10 Diaries) and the combat has definitely picked up. There are even some CoD like moments but in my mind it's still an action adventure at heart. What differentiates the combat from games like Uncharted is that there are fewer enemies overall and so far the enemies have always been the aggressor. Even when the game becomes a third person shooter it still feels like you are defending youself as opposed to attacking the enemies. It depends on whether you can buy into the narrative or not, but for me it's working. (Your experience might be different if you are always walking around with your strongest weapon. I play with pistol and bow most of the time, and progress at a relatively slow / stealthy pace. I only use machine and shotguns when they are absolutely needed)

I'd definitely recommend playing on hard, though, because otherwise the game would be FAR to easy, on hard enemies still need around 3 to 4 shots to take Lara down. I'm not even sure if 'hard' is as difficult as 'normal' is in other games (Call of Duty / Uncharted).

As of right now (half way through) Tomb Raider is the game I wanted Uncharted 3 to be. Although I have to admit that the Uncharted comparison doesnt really do the game justice, yes it's influenced by Uncharted (and many other games) but it's still an action adventure with shooting elements and not the other way around.

For those who have played a good deal of the game or better, those who have finished it. Do you see yourself replaying this game ever?

I expect to replay it someday. I think the best comparison in regards to replay value is Uncharted 2. Just like U2, TR has got some amazing set pieces and levels which are worth experiencing multiple times if you are into cinematic gameplay...

that's exactly how I am currently playing it and I'm having tons of fun this way.

As of right now (half way through) Tomb Raider is the game I wanted Uncharted 3 to be. Although I have to admit that the Uncharted comparison doesnt really do the game justice, yes it's influenced by Uncharted (and many other games) but it's still an action adventure with shooting elements and not the other way around.

Sold! I'd love to play the game that Uncharted 3 wasn't.

Top Bottom