• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Wait, fast travel to camps? So the whole Far Cry 3 thing isn't just a small joke?

Is TR really open world or semi-open world?

I know you hunt a deer in the videos, but do you actually hunt different animals throughout the game like FC3 and eat them to survive like Snake Eater? I haven't read the reviews, impressions, or spoiler tags so I can avoid spoilers. But if all I said is in the game, it really is a survival type of game.

Skilletor

I'm trying to look forward to this game, but every review mentions things I know I'll hate.

In actuality, Tomb Raider is a mostly linear game whose story propels you through those discrete regions one after the other, often with some sort of larger-than-life action sequence bridging the transition

Parts of Tomb Raider--potentially too many parts, depending on your taste--come off as the developers doing their best Uncharted impression, as you Quick Time Event your way through a large number of barely interactive action sequences that have everything around you exploding in a hail of splinters and fire that magically leaves you without a scratch.

But you never once feel like she's in true danger, which can make the whole thing feel a bit like it's just going through the cinematic-action-game motions. I wish less time and effort had been devoted to these bombastic scenes and more put into the old Tomb Raider standby of climbing around on old ruins, giving you the chance to feel a more tactile connection to the mystical past that forms the backbone of this game's storyline. Those combat-free optional tombs are the closest you get to solving any ancient Rube Goldberg machines, but they're insultingly short--I bet the handful included here constitute no more than half an hour of gameplay, collectively--and largely just made me wish there were a lot more of them included.

Sigh.

That sounds amazing to me. Can't wait for this game!!!!

Fast travel enables you to go back to places you already visited. Most of the enemies will be gone and what might have been a rather dark, rainy forest during the first visit will now be sunny.

You can go back and explore more areas as you gain new abilities – like in the Metroid games...more games need to adopt this formula! If you’re still not too sure how it all works watch this.

Phazon

I'm trying to look forward to this game, but every review mentions things I know I'll hate.

Sigh.

The tombs I've played are actually one bigger puzzle in one chamber that you have to solve and then you get your chest. It can take you five minutes if you're very good at it or more if you are not seeing the solution :p (one took me five minutes, the other 20 because I was overseeing something)

Phazon

Can you go back to old regions once you complete them?

Sure, you can fast travel to each camp you've discovered so you can look out for all those collectibles and undiscovered tombs. As in Metroid Prime it might be worth coming back with new power-ups to discover new parts and things in the areas you've already visited ;)

edit: You can do it at any time bacon.

Just reading more reviews now and it seems like they’ve made a great, relatable/likable character with Lara. It easily could have happened, but thank God they didn’t stuff it up!

It’s so rare to have a kickass female lead in games these days. I’m getting major Ripley vibes from her from the later parts of the game - and that is exciting the hell out of me!

Just reading more reviews now and it seems like they’ve made a great, relatable/likable character with Lara. It easily could have happened, but thank God they didn’t stuff it up!

It’s so rare to have a kickass female lead in games these days. I’m getting major Ripley vibes from her from the later parts of the game - and that is exciting the hell out of me!

Yeah it sounds great. And I'm guessing sequels are going to be more about tomb raiding, but still maintaining the style/gameplay/tone of this reboot. I hope so anyway. The old games got tired, but between this and the awesome PSN/XBLA game I'm back to looking forward to Tomb Raider titles.

Andrew.

Banned
I’m getting major Ripley vibes from her from the later parts of the game - and that is exciting the hell out of me!

Lara should find an abandoned child in TR2 then, semi-adopt her, name her after an amphibian type (like "Salamander") and then they should both die at the end after destroying this massive cannibal demon together.

Sold.

Yeah. Not enough great women these days in games. You should look into watching Nikita if you're looking for strong women and kickass action. Yeah, it's espionage, but it's awesome.

Lara should find an abandoned child in TR2 then, semi-adopt her, name her after an amphibian type (like "Salamander") and then they should both die at the end after destroying this massive cannibal demon together.

Sold.

no49hxx0.gif

Though I am wondering how they plan to develop Lara's character for a sequel.

So I've played a few hours so far. Quick Time Events are lame, and the high action moments aren't pulled off with as much aplomb as something like Uncharted, but everything else about the game is pretty damn awesome.

A lot of the elements in this game are the sort of thing I'd have liked to have seen in a next-gen, slightly more open Uncharted (though I'd also want something even more open again).

What's so likable about this new Lara? She seems like a bloodthirsty killer from the gameplay footage. Genuinely curious, as I haven't seen much of the cutscenes.

Cause she starts out as a naive girl who must find the inner strength and will to survive on this harsh and violent island.

I dunno, she seems fairly relatable... until the super-badassery and killing of violent cultists.

THE TRAINING IS NOTHING! THE WILL IS EVERYTHING!

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Wait, fast travel to camps? So the whole Far Cry 3 thing isn't just a small joke?

Is TR really open world or semi-open world?

I know you hunt a deer in the videos, but do you actually hunt different animals throughout the game like FC3 and eat them to survive like Snake Eater? I haven't read the reviews, impressions, or spoiler tags so I can avoid spoilers. But if all I said is in the game, it really is a survival type of game.

It isn't open world.

Skilletor

Yeah. Not enough great women these days in games. You should look into watching Nikita if you're looking for strong women and kickass action. Yeah, it's espionage, but it's awesome.

no49hxx0.gif

Though I am wondering how they plan to develop Lara's character for a sequel.

Hopefully with a time skip and a love for tombs.

Hopefully with a time skip and a love for tombs.

Love for tombs? Bah.

"There is no hunting like the hunting of a man. And those who've hunted armed men long enough, and like it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

tomb-raider1ynjje.jpg

Actually, I think we'll see her being proactive about seeking out tombs and adventure in the sequel. I mean, she was seeking out Yamatai before being stranded and hunted. So the desire to search for these kind of places is already there.

I'll play that.

I tweeted this to Rhianna Pratchett. When I become famous, I won't forget all the little people, no worries.

Finished the game last night.....

Hmmmmm.....

I'm a die hard fan of the series since 1996, finished EVERY game titled Tomb Raider, one of my all time favorite series.

Tomb R(eboot)aider is a very good game. you can tell that the team worked very hard on it... really good.

But.....

This is NOT a Tomb Raider game.

Tomb Raider game with no Tombs to ride? only side ones and with ONE ROOM puzzle only?

What the hell happened with EXPLORING the TOMBS?

Finding missing pieces of key or artifact that open doors or lead you to a new area..... ???

Remove Lara model from the game and replace it with Nate and you'll have Uncharted :\

The game itself is AMAZING.... but VERY disappointing as a TR game.

I mean this game actually made me miss playing Angel of Darkness, even Chronicles :\

Because at less these were a real TR game.... not this one.

Those who were dipping on this one as a new fresh start... they will love it so much, really guys this is a very enjoyable great game.

But those who are a true fans of the series, will be PISSED OFF.

Anniversary were the perfect TR game... what the hell happened here? they know how to make a perfect TR game, so what the hell CD? could you at less make ONE real TOMB in the main story to explore and solve puzzles in like the regular games in the series?

They could have made this game much more better, they had it all... they can do it... but somewhere along the line, they've lost the identity and the soul of the series :(

What a shame, this easily could have turned out to be in the top 10 best games of the generation....

anyway.... still a good nice game.

Finished the game last night.....

Hmmmmm.....

I'm a die hard fan of the series since 1996, finished EVERY game titled Tomb Raider, one of my all time favorite series.

Tomb R(eboot)aider is a very good game. you can tell that the team worked very hard on it... really good.

But.....

This is NOT a Tomb Raider game.

Tomb Raider game with no Tombs to ride? only side ones and with ONE ROOM puzzle only?

What the hell happened with EXPLORING the TOMBS?

Finding missing pieces of key or artifact that open doors or lead you to a new area..... ???

Remove Lara model from the game and replace it with Nate and you'll have Uncharted :\

The game itself is AMAZING.... but VERY disappointing as a TR game.

I mean this game actually made me miss playing Angel of Darkness, even Chronicles :\

Because at less these were a real TR game.... not this one.

Those who were dipping on this one as a new fresh start... they will love it so much, really guys this is a very enjoyable great game.

But those who are a true fans of the series, will be PISSED OFF.

Anniversary were the perfect TR game... what the hell happened here? they know how to make a perfect TR game, so what the hell CD? could you at less make ONE real TOMB in the main story to explore and solve puzzles in like the regular games in the series?

They could have made this game much more better, they had it all... they can do it... but somewhere along the line, they've lost the identity and the soul of the series :(

What a shame, this easily could have turned out to be in the top 10 best games of the generation....

anyway.... still a good nice game.

Is it still a top 10 generation game if you pretended it wasn't Tomb Raider?

But hey I'm coming in fresh, so this is great news for me.

What's so likable about this new Lara? She seems like a bloodthirsty killer from the gameplay footage. Genuinely curious, as I haven't seen much of the cutscenes.

The fact that she just seems like a normal young woman that is thrown into a crazy situation and forced to kill or be killed is interesting to watch for me......I get the impression that whilst being relatable and being the girl next door - deep down you know she's capable of being a strong character that can rise to the occasion, you just know that she has that inner strength and confidence within her. That's not an easy thing to portray in games. It's refreshing to see a capable, clever and empowering female lead character that doesn't rely on sex appeal for a change.

Loginius

has it been confirmed that tressFX will be in the game day one?
No videos from AMD until the game has long shipped has me kind of worried.

(worried that I will have to wait until I can finally play this game in all of its glory)

dreamfall

Actually, I think we'll see her being proactive about seeking out tombs and adventure in the sequel. I mean, she was seeking out Yamatai before being stranded and hunted. So the desire to search for these kind of places is already there.

I hope to all goodness, in the sequel, there will be so much more exploration and many more tombs.

This game is not anywhere close to top 10 no matter what it is called lol

If it's as good as I think it'll turn out to be, it might hit my top 15.

Maybe. Hm... let me take a look at my shelf.

Maybe not, top 10s are hard. So many excellent games in the last 7 years. Maybe if I conflated some franchises into one.

Well, I hope it'll be a great game.
Every game from this gen is in The Praiseworthy's top 10 list.

Well... he is The Praiseworthy.

The fact that she just seems like a normal young woman that is thrown into a crazy situation and forced to kill or be killed is interesting to watch for me......I get the impression that whilst being relatable and being the girl next door - deep down you know she's capable of being a strong character that can rise to the occasion, you just know that she has that inner strength and confidence within her. That's not an easy thing to portray in games. It's refreshing to see a capable, clever and empowering female lead character that doesn't rely on sex appeal for a change.

In the cutscenes, I'm sure that's exactly the case. Lord knows we don't have enough good female protagonists. I guess my problem is just that the game has you killing so many people while trying to portray Lara as a normal girl struggling to survive. It's a problem I have with Uncharted and Far Cry 3, as well, so I'm not trying to single out this game, by any means.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I don't understand this "true tomb raider fans will hate this". I am as true as they come, I love Tomb raider and I like this game. I can appreciate where they went because they were so successful at it.

Top Bottom