• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Wow. Me and a friend took turns with it on his pentium 120 back in '96.

Cool to see you had the cooler, shittier time.

I hated that Micron.. ran Warcraft 2 like a pro though. Riven.. not so much.

I had 1 & 2 for PS1, I mostly bought 2 due to hype, because I was considerably dumber back then about buying things I know I wouldn't personally enjoy. Anyway, I remember trading it in towards Breath of Fire 3 later on.

Dat upgrade!

dreamfall

how many are there? (spoiler tag, just to be sure)
i only found four of them. they are nice but super easy and fast to solve (most didnt even take 2 minutes) and only consist of 2, maybe 3 rooms. i still like them, i just wish they made them bigger and harder to solve.

btw: when does the steam preload start?

The pre-load already has begun- but as far as unlocking it- I'm not sure.

statham

Camilla pictures being posted is obnoxious because it's such a meta/creepy way to talk about a game with a female protagonist. As if a bonus of playing or buying the game is an attractive woman doing the voice or being a character model for the game.

Just feels a tad bit juvenile in my opinion.
really, think of the older games.

MormaPope

Banned
Hell yeah!!

Not until they learn how to create good gameplay

It's funny you say that because most of the gameplay in this Tomb Raider wasn't "created".

really, think of the older games.

The majority of people in that era didn't play Tomb Raider because of triangle tits and square asses, gaming media jumped on Lara having a blocky figure but people didn't play Tomb Raider solely for Lara Croft.

Phazon

how many are there? (spoiler tag, just to be sure)
i only found four of them. they are nice but super easy and fast to solve (most didnt even take 2 minutes) and only consist of 2, maybe 3 rooms. i still like them, i just wish they made them bigger and harder to solve.

btw: when does the steam preload start?

I don't know how many exactly
(pretty sure it's less than ten)
, but there are all the same (one big puzzle in 1-2 rooms)
The puzzles are a little bit harder further into the game, but it's not hard to solve if you take your time to about them.
(I think I finished them all in about one hour and a half)

If you are having problems finding those tombs,
take a look at your survivor upgrades ;)

statham

It's funny you say that because most of the gameplay in this Tomb Raider wasn't "created".

The majority of people in that era didn't play Tomb Raider because of triangle tits and square asses, gaming media jumped on Lara having a blocky figure but people didn't play Tomb Raider solely for Lara Croft.
I wasn't even thinking about triangle tits, get your mind out of the gutter.

Alex

I wasn't even thinking about triangle tits, get your mind out of the gutter.

Oh but it was most certainly a thing, all the promos, fan art, weird letters. For as much as people want to bitch about now there were some weird ass little kids back then :lol I never quite got the fervor because I thought the games just played and controlled like complete shit, but hype did seem to evaporate with III. Of course, 1997 is when the big PSone boom was for software so after that there was just more and better titles to pick from.

Core was such a terrible studio.... except for Fighting Force. That first Fighting Force game was really fun, I thought.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
Anyone else got this yet... can't get past the gun placements. Any tips?

statham

Oh but it was most certainly a thing, all the promos, fan art, weird letters. For as much as people want to bitch about now there were some weird ass little kids back then :lol I never quite got the fervor because I thought the games just played and controlled like complete shit, but hype did seem to evaporate with III. Of course, 1997 is when the big PSone boom was for software so after that there was just more and better titles to pick from.

Core was such a terrible studio.... except for Fighting Force. That first Fighting Force game was really fun, I thought.
I know, but for him to say its weird now, its always been weird.

Andrew.

Banned
Yeah, it certainly is now, but back then it was the only beat 'em up post FF/SoR that I really dug on.

That's because it was the ONLY 3D arcadey beat em up as I recall.

I remember slightly pretending that it was kind of like Streets of Rage. =P

FaintDeftone

I actually decided on the console version of this game. I typically go with PC but since I'm on vacation this week the couch seemed more of a place I wanted to be rather than the computer desk. Plus I'm trying to boost that PS3 trophy score.

Alex

I actually decided on the console version of this game. I typically go with PC but since I'm on vacation this week the couch seemed more of a place I wanted to be rather than the computer desk. Plus I'm trying to boost that PS3 trophy score.

HTPC, baby, I AM on the couch, aw yiss.

dreamfall

But... but... that hair swaying!

hlhbk

Connect the PC to the TV.

antitrop

PC Gamer won't have review code until Tuesday:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/03/01/why-we-still-havent-reviewed-tomb-raider

Lara Croft’s traumatic gap-year adventure has been well received by our counterparts on console, and we were hoping to be able to start providing you with our impressions of the PC version today. Unfortunately, we’ve been told by Square Enix that code for the PC version won’t be issued until Tuesday, when the game goes on sale – so expect our verdict to fall in the latter half of next week.

Crystal Dynamics are reportedly unwilling to let the game out into the wild until it’s ready. Perhaps they’re worried about Lara’s PC-exclusive hair going haywire – we don’t know. Delays like this don’t always indicate a problem with the product, but they do prevent us from telling you one way or another before you lay down your hard-earned cash.

If your fingers are hovering over the pre-order button for Tomb Raider then we advise holding off until we’ve had a chance to check it out. One way or another, we’ll have some first impressions of the PC version up by midday GMT on Tuesday.

sublimit

Banned
Oh but it was most certainly a thing, all the promos, fan art, weird letters.

feel free to blame Eidos for that shit.

I never quite got the fervor because I thought the games just played and controlled like complete shit,

No the games played and controlled fine it's just people like you who sucked at them and blamed the controls.
If it played and controlled like "complete shit" then it wouldn't have sold so many copies.

but hype did seem to evaporate with III.
mj-laughing.gif

Yes of course.That's why TR3 and TR4 sold more than 12 million copies.Because the "hype" seemed to evaporate with III.Yes.

Core was such a terrible studio....

Nope.Core was an extremelly talented studio that had the extremelly bad luck to have a shitty publisher like Eidos above their heads.

Slacker

If this doesn't have any achievements tied to any online modes I might bite.

I can't wrap my head around gamerscore mentality. You will either purchase the game for $60, and play it the insane amount of time it takes to earn every single trophy, or not purchase it at all based on whether there are multiplayer achievements? Does whether you think you'll enjoy the game factor into the decision at all?

Alex

feel free to blame Eidos for that shit.

No the games played and controlled fine it's just people like you who sucked at them and blamed the controls.
If it played and controlled like "complete shit" then it wouldn't have sold so many copies.

Yes of course.That's why TR3 and TR4 sold more than 12 million copies.Because the "hype" seemed to evaporate with III.Yes.

Nope.Core was an extremelly talented studio that had the extremelly bad luck to have a shitty publisher like Eidos above their heads.

I didn't know TR3 did so well, there was so much hype around the original and 2 and.... I barely remember hearing anything for 3 or 4. (I didn't even know there was an actual 4, or is that after they dropped the number structure?)

But yeah, sorry, if it upsets you, but my opinion is very much that the original series is very much a relic of it's era. I was never the biggest CD fan (never quite got into Soul Reaver like others did but it was quality stuff) but after they took over the rise in quality was pretty instant, in my opinion. For the classical TR's... I couldn't tolerate it then, I can't even imagine trying to play it now. I always liked the trappings of it, but the tank controls and cludgy platforming took a lot of fun and thrill out of otherwise neat bits and traps.

I actually don't think there was much in the way of 3D platformers I really enjoyed on the PSone, thinking back though. Plenty of good 2D (Klonoa, Tomba, etc), but 3D kit seemed to all gravitate towards the N64.

diamount

Banned
For those interested, Get Games are offering TR 25% off with this voucher:

L4R4

Never used them myself for pre-orders however that seems to be the cheapest price everywhere. It also comes with the pre-order bonuses. You can also get the Survival Edition with the code.

RagnarokX

I didn't know TR3 did so well, there was so much hype around the original and 2 and.... I barely remember hearing anything for 3 or 4. (I didn't even know there was an actual 4, or is that after they dropped the number structure?)

But yeah, sorry, if it upsets you, but my opinion is very much that the original series is very much a relic of it's era. I was never the biggest CD fan (never quite got into Soul Reaver like others did but it was quality stuff) but after they took over the rise in quality was pretty instant, in my opinion. For the classical TR's... I couldn't tolerate it then, I can't even imagine trying to play it now. I always liked the trappings of it, but the tank controls and cludgy platforming took a lot of fun and thrill out of otherwise neat bits and traps.

I actually don't think there was much in the way of 3D platformers I really enjoyed on the PSone, thinking back though. Plenty of good 2D (Klonoa, Tomba, etc), but 3D kit seemed to all gravitate towards the N64.

I think that even if you like the game as it is you should support our cause. We're asking that the series be more than it is instead of less than it was. You can still do everything this game is doing AND have puzzles and meaningful platforming. They put in detective mode so there's no way you can get lost if you don't want to be.

Nemesis_

Tricky doesn't even post in POPGAF. ;)

Anyway this is the worst time for the game to be available, I have so much study to do for a major test, so I have to try to abstain :(

Phazon

Anyone else got this yet... can't get past the gun placements. Any tips?

Just try to look at the enviroment if there's anything you can use in your advantage. Otherwise, use covers untill you're near him. (sorry, can't remember what I did there and which specific event you're referring to, it's already been three days :p)

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
For those interested, Get Games are offering TR 25% off with this voucher:

L4R4

Never used them myself for pre-orders however that seems to be the cheapest price everywhere.

Cheapest price is $26 at Nuuvem, can pay via Paypal and it's the same thing you get from GMG -- (ROW) Tomb Raider + Animal Instinct/Pistol Burst DLC. Not sure if that's considered shady here but it seems legit reading everywhere else and I had no problem paying through Paypal, activating and pre-loading from the US.

Alex

I think that even if you like the game as it is you should support our cause. We're asking that the series be more than it is instead of less than it was.

I'd have to play it first to actually make an opinion about it. Depends how well all of the various trappings I hear about form together, like the hubs and wide-linearity and exploring the tombs on the side. A lot of this sounds really neat to me, otherwise I wouldn't have bitten until a Steam sale.

The Tomb Raider name really didn't mean anything to me, so if I enjoy this game better, regardless of what offended people, I'm not going to care. It's the same way with DmC, I didn't think all that much of the original series (Bayonetta is the only combo based 3D beat 'em up I've ever liked) and Ninja Theory turning it into a big budget version of Alice with a better combat system was something I actually appreciated.

People like different things and have different expectations, honestly, in video gaming, franchises rarely actually mean anything to me. They're all so overexposed and fluid nowadays that all I care about is if I enjoy an end product.

I have, thankfully, VERY wide tastes, so that helps.

Phazon

I think that even if you like the game as it is you should support our cause. We're asking that the series be more than it is instead of less than it was. You can still do everything this game is doing AND have puzzles and meaningful platforming. They put in detective mode so there's no way you can get lost if you don't want to be.

The hint/detective mode is completely optional. If there are players that don't want to be guided, don't press that button. Simple as that :)

Is the multiplayer enjoyable?

It's a pretty basic, but decent multiplayer. I'm not really into MP, so I didn't play it a lot.

RagnarokX

The hint/detective mode is completely optional. If there are players that don't want to be guided, don't press that button. Simple as that :)

I know it is. My point is the platforming didn't need to be so dumbed down and the puzzles made optional because players could just press that button if they couldn't figure stuff out on their own.

GenoZStriker

Neo Member
To be honest, if this game is the start of what could possibly be more Tomb Raider games to come similar to previous entries, then it's a good start. Based on the impressions, the game's gunplay and overall movement is solid, which is good. And if they do a sequel where this Lara becomes vanilla Lara and go more towards the mixed puzzles, gunplay, platforming and countries, then I'm fine with this being just an intro to what could potentially come. It obviously be the longest tutorial for what is gunplay, but it's still a good game.

Top Bottom