• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

JohngPR

No, that was neighbor. Fucking e before i. I woulda won that bee damnit.

In relation to Tomb Raider the word bugs me, because seemingly shuffling puzzling off to a dark corner while emphasizing combat and executions makes something more relevant.

That's not what I meant.

I just meant that I'm glad that the character itself still is around. I don't think shifting the focus on the game to what they did makes the game any more relevant.

If I had to choose, I'd prefer a gameplay mix similar to the other TR games, but I'll take what I can get.

This new game does seem derivative as all hell, but the open-ness of the hubs may be the special sauce that ties all these disparate tropes together into something more than the sum of their parts.

Derivative isn't necessarily bad, as I have enjoyed Darksiders and Sleeping Dogs, among others. I just refer to it as The Adventures of Moaning McMurder-lass and the Uncharted Island of Cultists instead of Tomb Raider.

Derivative isn't always bad, for sure. It's just also fair to be disappointed that a "reinvention" of a series is really just a relatively safe game with the old name on it. Maybe they'll do something riskier with a sequel, who knows.

*stares at Xander Cage's head, and waits*

zdkjrI7.jpg

MormaPope

Banned
lol all I'm asking for is proper breakdown or "review", whatever you want to call it, from other people until I can get to it myself. Fun is such a generic catch-all word that means something else to everyone. Some people actually enjoy just pressing forward on the analog stick and watching on rails stuff happen. That doesn't do anything for me, so that person just saying "it was fun" doesn't tell me anything.

I must say I have to agree. Serial killers think it's fun to stab and murder people. Some people think Slinkies are fun. GOTY deliberations wouldn't really function if people defended their choices by saying "well, it was fun."

I must say I have to agree. Serial killers think it's fun to stab and murder people. Some people think Slinkies are fun. GOTY deliberations wouldn't really function if people defended their choices by saying "well, it was fun."

Slinkies are awesome. Come at me.

If Tomb Raider's LE came with a slinky instead of the terrible figure I would've bought it in a heartbeat.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Just popping in to say holy shit at that Lara White-water rapid .gif death. I'm waiting for the game to go on sale and need to finish Anniversary and Guardian of the Light before I get to this anyway. :(

legbone

I want to play this game right now.

yeah, me too. nobody around me is selling it early and i don't have a pc that can play it.

oh well. tues will be here before i know it.

i was a huge fan of the first tomb raider (second and third too). i played the first game with my buddies in the dorm room when i was in college. lots of bong hits were had and tomb raider blew our minds at the time. it was amazing for it's time. there really was nothing like it. i don't think i had ever played an adventure/puzzle game like it. there are a lot of games that we would have never had without the first one.

anyway, i was luke-warm on this one early on, but as it gets closer i'm finding my self super-hyped.

Andrew.

Banned
To me, Keeley is hotter. Always has been. Matter of opinion. I still wouldn't shun Camilla, but Keeleys accent is sexier to me and I like older women.

DieH@rd

Banned
After spending ~5-6 hrs with the game [not my copy], I'm giving it my sea lion of approval. Its phenomenal take on Uncharted game, and people shouldn't be mad because of if. Few recent TR games did not sell well, and this to me looks like it will be perfect reboot. If this game dont sell well, I will be 1000000x more mad than I was with Binary Domain and Singularity.

Zero spoilers ahead, but still inside of spoiler code for those who want to remain pure.

Positives:
- Lara's movements are very nice and there is shitton of land of explore.
- Combat is extremely satisfying and even better than Uncharted [better variety of weapons/tactics, melee is 10x better with no QTE's]
- Upgrade system gives surprisingly good things [both char upgrade and weapons upgrade]
-In few places graphics made my jaw drop [PS3 version], game moves trough several very nice environment shifts.
-Overall, graphics is excellent, PC version should be stunning with higher rez and better textures. Im very curious to find out will her tresstx hair change color in one specific situation.

[Reeeeally small] negatives:
- PS3 version rarely looses good framerate.
- Supporting cast is not really good [except one].
- I'm not interested in hunting animals, so one upgrade skill tree is pointless for me.

Big negative:
- So far, all tombs that I found were reeeeally small with just one puzzle in them. However, visual design of few of them was awesome.

My take on new Lara:
She's excellent. End of story. Sure circumstances forced her to become a killer, but she did not have choice. Bastards actively try to kill her and her friends, and Lara is literary the only person in the expedition that can "get shit done". After two really big set piece moments she really became capable and willing to go on the offensive [IMO justifiably].

Gif that best describes my feelings while playing the game:
iKfn88o1hc0hp.gif

RoKKeR

After spending ~5-6 hrs with the game [not my copy], I'm giving it my sea lion of approval. Its phenomenal take on Uncharted game, and people shouldn't be mad because of if. Few recent TR games did not sell well, and this to me looks like it will be perfect reboot. If this game dont sell well, I will be 1000000x more mad than I was with Binary Domain and Singularity.

Zero spoilers ahead, but still inside of spoiler code for those who want to remain pure.

Positives:
- Lara's movements are very nice and there is shitton of land of explore.
- Combat is extremely satisfying and even better than Uncharted [better variety of weapons/tactics, melee is 10x better with no QTE's]
- Upgrade system gives surprisingly good things [both char upgrade and weapons upgrade]
-In few places graphics made my jaw drop [PS3 version], game moves trough several very nice environment shifts.
-Overall, graphics is excellent, PC version should be stunning with higher rez and better textures. Im very curious to find out will her tresstx hair change color in one specific situation.

[Reeeeally small] negatives:
- PS3 version rarely looses good framerate.
- Supporting cast is not really good [except one].
- I'm not interested in hunting animals, so one upgrade skill tree is pointless for me.

Big negative:
- So far, all ombs that I found were reeeeally small with just one puzzle in them. However, visual design of few of them was awesome.

My take on new Lara:
She's excellent. End of story. Sure circumstances forced her to become a killer, but she did not have choice. Bastards actively try to kill her and her friends, and Lara is literary the only person in the expedition that can "get shit done". After two really big set piece moments she really became capable and willing to go on the offensive [IMO justifiably].

Gif that best describes my feelings while playing the game:
iKfn88o1hc0hp.gif
Great, thanks for the impressions. Sounds solid.

krYlon

Eh I didn't like the old Tomb Raiders either, but this modern cinematic reboot shouldn't have been the answer either. They answered stale and outdated with even more stale and outdated. Going by the videos at least, but it's not like what I saw isn't going to not be in the game all of a sudden.

So let me get this straight, you didn't like the old tomb raiders, you dont like the look of this game, and yet you are still getting it? And you're one of the top posters in this thread?

Andrew.

Banned
So let me get this straight, you didn't like the old tomb raiders, you dont like the look of this game, and yet you are still getting it? And you're one of the top posters in this thread?

You gotta give it up man. Its useless. Learn to love that he is so miserable. I personally hope he never finds enjoyment in a game ever again.

He is fighting the good fight. Not everyone is as dedicated to keeping a reputation.

krYlon

You gotta give it up man. Its useless. Learn to love that he is so miserable. I personally hope he never finds enjoyment in a game ever again.

Im pretty new to the thread so didnt realise.

Hats off though, he is obviously very passionate about his hobby

Derrick01

Banned

I might be wrong about it being bad though. Despite the overwhelming amount of evidence that says otherwise, but there's always a chance!

Top Bottom