• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

~Kinggi~

Banned
I might be wrong about it being bad though. Despite the overwhelming amount of evidence that says otherwise, but there's always a chance!

Glad to know, you might be wrong about it being bad. I was worried this was certified shit for a second. Why are you even in here, especially since you just said you werent crazy about the old TR games. That's troll material right there.

Just a matter of approaching something cup half full or cup half empty really.

Gotta balance out the Trickys of the universe with Derrick01s. That tension keeps the universe moving, and the hodge balancing the podge.

krYlon

I might be wrong about it being bad though. Despite the overwhelming amount of evidence that says otherwise, but there's always a chance!

Oh wait, I know you. Did you ever finish Virtue's Last Reward, or did the dialogue bore you to death?

Or have I got the wrong person...

DieH@rd

Banned
The most surprising thing that reviews did not capture well... is how the game managed to provide such magnificent visuals on 6 year old hardware. Goddamn, in few moments it reached Uncharted visuals. I'm totally amazed how powerful are current consoles.

Also, in one section of the game, my soul was transported to the time when I've played Uncharted 2 Tibetan village level. It was that good [but shorter].

Solo

Also, in one section of the game, my soul was transported to the time when I've played Uncharted 2 Tibetan village level. It was that good [but shorter].

It must be REALLY FUCKING SHORT then, because that UC2 level is like 2 minutes long.

The most surprising thing that reviews did not capture well... is how the game managed to provide such magnificent visuals on 6 year old hardware. Goddamn, in few moments it reached Uncharted visuals. I'm totally amazed how powerful are current consoles.

So you're saying it reminds you on Uncharted? Go figure ;P

Honestly curious now, is there anything about the game you find truly unique? If the series continues along these lines, what is the core that separates a future Tomb Raider from a future Uncharted, in your opinion? Spoiler tag if you want.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

Damn it stop already, some of us have to wait until next week to play this game!

Played for about an hour now....this game!

Oy0wOUe.gif

It's everything I had hoped for and more!!!

Tomb Raider is the game I wanted Uncharted 3 to be.

If this doesn't have any achievements tied to any online modes I might bite.

nib95

Banned

I know this has been beaten to death, but the visuals are not on par with Uncharted. If you compare them side by side, you'll find Uncharted 2/3 is still far more dynamic and technically proficient. A lot less flat, better lighting, shadows, textures, SSAO, motion blur etc. I wouldn't really say the scale was any smaller either, just that Uncharted has a greater number of intimate segments overall.

Harlequin

Honestly curious now, is there anything about the game you find truly unique? If the series continues along these lines, what is the core that separates a future Tomb Raider from a future Uncharted, in your opinion? Spoiler tag if you want.

He's saying the visuals do.

He's saying the visuals do.
Yeah, that was a gentle ribbing.

But I am curious about what makes the new Tomb Raider a new Tomb Raider. Do the hubs make it feel like something truly unique? Is it really akin to Arkham Asylum? Inquiring minds want to know and all that.

vidcons

Banned
Just remembered I need to buy some headphones.

p sure i'm going to dig this multiplayer and become some mlg legend. calling it now

I know I'll enjoy it. It's usually a nice capstone as to where to stop playing the mp.
I loved the hell out of Uncharted multiplayer, for casual good times. Scurrying about the environment while meleeing and shooting and tossing grenades just felt right.

If the multiplayer is even a halfway decent clone I think there's something there for xbox console players to dig here. I've had my fill though.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
There's tombz

But Lauara hates them.

Lol I only saw this video today but Conan was so on point. The games we play are so dumb. Game looked great though. Only thing that was weird was her ponytail looks like it's made out of plastic.

Gold_Loot

-Dieh@rd
[Reeeeally small] negatives:
- PS3 version rarely looses good framerate.

Is this a typo? That doesn't sound like a negative to me.

vagina. No, not Nate's/

guys, just change your computer's date to march 5th, you will be good to go.

I did this but it didn't make UPS show up.

Alex

Doesn't the game have a wide-linear setup with free roam, fast travel and hidden puzzle areas? That's pretty damned different than any Uncharted I've played.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Doesn't the game have a wide-linear setup with free roam, fast travel and hidden puzzle areas? That's pretty damned different than any Uncharted I've played.

Pretty damn different than any Tomb Raider I played! Amirite guys??? Anyone?

Derrick?

Alex

Pretty damn different than any Tomb Raider I played! Amirite guys??? Anyone?

Derrick?

I hated the original Tomb Raider series, conceptually sound but complete jank even back in the mid 90s, so that doesn't concern me so much. Not that this new style is ideal, but it sounds interesting for this kind of game at least.

Still, I'm happy for the reboot. I like the aesthetics and setup of it, hope it's worth the 30 bucks.

Phazon

Finished the games and explored all tombs. Still a lot to collection to go. :p

The pacing after the game is totally different than when you're following the story.

MormaPope

Banned
Camilla pictures being posted is obnoxious because it's such a meta/creepy way to talk about a game with a female protagonist. As if a bonus of playing or buying the game is an attractive woman doing the voice or being a character model for the game.

Just feels a tad bit juvenile in my opinion.

I'm an expert

I hated the original Tomb Raider series, conceptually sound but complete jank even back in the mid 90s, so that doesn't concern me so much. Not that this new style is ideal, but it sounds interesting for this kind of game at least.

Still, I'm happy for the reboot. I like the aesthetics and setup of it, hope it's worth the 30 bucks.

Same here, OG TR is shit. Though I'll admit back then I had 1 for pc and enjoyed booting it up on my 200mhz pentium with mmx.

S1kkZ

Finished the games and explored all tombs. Still a lot to collection to go. :p

how many are there? (spoiler tag, just to be sure)
i only found four of them. they are nice but super easy and fast to solve (most didnt even take 2 minutes) and only consist of 2, maybe 3 rooms. i still like them, i just wish they made them bigger and harder to solve.

btw: when does the steam preload start?

Alex

I had 1 & 2 for PS1, I mostly bought 2 due to hype, because I was considerably dumber back then about buying things I know I wouldn't personally enjoy. Anyway, I remember trading it in towards Breath of Fire 3 later on.

Top Bottom