• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

diamount

Banned
Cheapest price is $26 at Nuuvem, can pay via Paypal and it's the same thing you get from GMG -- (ROW) Tomb Raider + Animal Instinct/Pistol Burst DLC. Not sure if that's considered shady here but it seems legit reading everywhere else and I had no problem paying through Paypal, activating and pre-loading from the US.

That's pretty ridiculous. Their other pricing seems whacked though.

Toa TAK

Banned

sublimit

Banned
Nothing about the actual gameplay? Guess I shouldn't be surprised. The only thing that matters in a video game is the non interactive story after all :\

They are basically criticizing everything (XP,puzzles,combat) in context with the story and character.

Sidzed2

This game is just... so... good. I'm sort of in awe of just how good it is. It really is the best game in its series and in many ways is a damned sight better than Uncharted. If there is going to be a game of one-up-manship between Naughty Dog and Crystal Dynamics now, then I'm all for it.

sublimit

Banned
This game is just... so... good. I'm sort of in awe of just how good it is. It really is the best game in its series and in many ways is a damned sight better than Uncharted. If there is going to be a game of one-up-manship between Naughty Dog and Crystal Dynamics now, then I'm all for it.

Thank you for describing why you think this game is just...so good. :)

Derrick01

Banned
They are basically criticizing everything (XP,puzzles,combat) in context with the story and character.

That's not the kind of criticism I'm looking for though. The story shouldn't matter at all, just let me know if the gameplay stuff works or doesn't work for the player, not some wannabe movie script. I wish reviewers would start understanding that.

Emwitus

That's not the kind of criticism I'm looking for though. The story shouldn't matter at all, just let me know if the gameplay stuff works or doesn't work for the player, not some wannabe movie script. I wish reviewers would start understanding that.

The issue here is that games are evolving...unfortunately so are reviewers. If you don't want your story to be reviewed then cut it out and go link/zelda style. I for one prefer an engaging story.. completing tedious puzzles without any sort of laid out story just doesn't do it for me.

Derrick01

Banned
The issue here is that games are evolving...unfortunately so are reviewers. If you don't want your story be reviewed then cut it out and go link/zelda style.

Are they actually evolving when story and plot depth has actually regressed since the 90s? I don't see anyone topping planescape or baldur's gate 2 with these "story focused" cinematic games.

sublimit

Banned

I'm the same as you but i find it very ironic that most criticisms for this game are about the reason this reboot supposedly happened (aka to introduce us to a more grounded realistic version of Lara and tell a gripping story of "survival".)

And i'm saying supposedly because i think the true reason this reboot happened it was because SE was after the Uncharted crowds and they wanted to turn this game into a shooter.

Sidzed2

Thank you for describing why you think this game is just...so good. :)

Thank you for contributing to this thread through a veneer of condescension. Your post is really entertaining and informative.

The game is good. In just about every way. It looks gorgeous, it's pacing is excellent, all of its mechanics feel polished and balanced, and it's just enjoyable to play. The only downer is that the script and voice acting can be really rough.

I hope that satisfies Your Holiness.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm the same as you but i find it very ironic that most criticisms for this game are about the reason this reboot supposedly happened (aka to introduce us to a more grounded realistic version of Lara and tell a gripping story of "survival".)

And i'm saying supposedly because i think the true reason this reboot happened it was because SE was after the Uncharted crowds and they wanted to turn this game into a shooter.

Similar thing happened with Hitman Absolution. One of the biggest things they wanted to focus on was the story and they talked for months about it only for it to be the one thing in the game that everyone agreed was trash, both new fans and old.

I think the only thing Eidos should reboot from now on is their marketing department.

Emwitus

Are they actually evolving when story and plot depth has actually regressed since the 90s? I don't see anyone topping planescape or baldur's gate 2 with these "story focused" cinematic games.

They are. Look at uncharted/bioshock..I don't mean evolving in the sense of having good cinematic fmvs that has been there since way back when. But the ability to tell a story within the game.....having all the elements of the story tie into the experience. That's why i can't blame reviewers for having a disconnect at times. I see this as the future of games essentially. As the the target audience gets older so are the experiences they want out of there games. I think developers feel the same way too. If i were a developer and i'd want my profession to have the same kind of recognition guys at pixar are getting after....i think,

Skilletor

The issue here is that games are evolving...unfortunately so are reviewers. If you don't want your story to be reviewed then cut it out and go link/zelda style. I for one prefer an engaging story.. completing tedious puzzles without any sort of laid out story just doesn't do it for me.

Then why are you playing videogames?

ArjanN

Were Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate really that representative of the story/plot depth in the average game in the 90s though? IMO they were always exceptions.

Bruh, there's nothing to talk about. The game isn't really doing anything new, and since game criticism RARELY ever gets down to the meat of game mechanics, nobody's gonna talk about those either. All you'll get is "it's fun" or "think Uncharted but with executions and XP." The bulk of conversations about this game will be gameplay vs. narrative, and/or how it's not like TRs of old.

The controls and graphics are a lot better from the previous build I got to play. The screen tearing has disappeared and it controls so well. Much better than Uncharted imo.

Oh and the graphics are fucking glorious.

Derrick01

Banned
Video games have great stories. It is the only reason I play games anymore.

The only reason you play games now is for stories that try to ape books and movies but cannot do so above a D-tier quality? That makes sense.

Were Planescape Torment and Baldur's Gate really that representative of the story/plot depth in the average game in the 90s though? IMO they were always exceptions.

Maybe, but we don't even get an exception in this current industry anymore.

AlexBasch

After spending ~5-6 hrs with the game [not my copy], I'm giving it my sea lion of approval.
Gif that best describes my feelings while playing the game:
iKfn88o1hc0hp.gif
Damn, reading those points feel like something that I expected from just looking at the game. I'll give it a rent to see if it's buying material or just a one-time play stuff (Steam sale material). Thanks for your input, I'm really interested in the game now.

Andrew.

Banned
Bruh, there's nothing to talk about. The game isn't really doing anything new, and since game criticism RARELY ever gets down to the meat of game mechanics, nobody's gonna talk about those either. All you'll get is "it's fun" or "think Uncharted but with executions and XP." The bulk of conversations about this game will be gameplay vs. narrative, and/or how it's not like TRs of old.

Exactly why we question why the hell guys like you are still in this thread.

Majority rules. Game is great and those who have it fucking like it.

End of story.

Elite gaming forum being elite gaming forum.

I find it funny people keep posting their thoughts, saying they really enjoy it and the naysayers who have yet to play it, pounce! Ill be more interested in the negative criticism from people who actually have played it. Not watched YouTube videos.

golem

I dont think its necessarily fair to condemn someone for enjoying stories in videogames just because other mediums have vastly superior narratives. Videogames are able to impart an experience that is substantially different from other mediums and unique in its own way. For example i consider the story in Heavy Rain utter SHIT, yet that game had me feeling moments of tension and dread that other mediums would be hard pressed to impart upon the consumer.

So yes game stories mostly suck but they can be a fulfilling experience outside of pure game mechanics, like many people seem to have felt with Walking Dead.

Exactly why we question why the hell guys like you are still in this thread.

Majority rules. Game is great and those who have it fucking like it.

End of story.

Because official threads aren't supposed to be uber positive circle jerks and, last I checked, this is a forum. I'm still interested in the game and will pick it up when it's cheap, but in the meantime there's discussion to be had.

I find it funny people keep posting their thoughts, saying they really enjoy it and the naysayers who have yet to play it, pounce! Ill be more interested in the negative criticism from people who actually have played it. Not watched YouTube videos.

You can still discuss narrative vs. gameplay dynamics without having to get your hands on it. Sure you aren't familiar with how the mechanics feel but that's a different conversation. And honestly, this game isn't doing anything revolutionary to the point where you can't talk about it without having played it first.

The controls and graphics are a lot better from the previous build I got to play. The screen tearing has disappeared and it controls so well. Much better than Uncharted imo.

Oh and the graphics are fucking glorious.

To be fair, it wouldn't be hard to have better controls than Uncharted. Uncharted's main strength is the story and character depth. And graphics. Everything else ranges from shit to serviceable.

But it's great to hear that whatever control/graphical issues you had with an earlier build got fixed. Making the wait for it harder.

Was unsure due to the PC embargo but the GMG deal was too good.

I haven't really enjoyed a single Tomb Raider game but I really appreciate the attempts at reining in the goofy stuff from the previous ones.

Omni

Never played any of the other Tomb Raider games before, but I'm really enjoying this one. Only real complaint I have is the achievements (on Xbox). I've been playing for a few hours now, and the only achievement that I've unlocked is the one for doing an optional tomb mission. Looking at the achievement list, there are far too many multiplayer ones

Not such a big deal, but still

Derrick01

Banned

Right now I feel like some of the detractors have given better reasons why it looks bad to them than people who have played it and like it have listed. Because to follow up on one of my comments from a few hours ago, I'm still waiting on a detailed explanation of why the game is good. 15 comments of "it's good" or "it's fun" is just white noise to me.

Andrew.

Banned
Because official threads aren't supposed to be uber positive circle jerks and, last I checked, this is a forum. I'm still interested in the game and will pick it up when it's cheap, but in the meantime there's discussion to be had.

So if the majority is enjoying something that they feel are honest feels, then it is wrong for them to be doing so?

Thats kind of fucked up, Clint.

golem

Yes, but there comes a point where the same repeated criticism does nothing to advance the conversation in a topic. The game has been made and the developer's choices have been set in stone. Perhaps a critique of the direction of the franchise would better be served in a separate thread rather than a thread focusing on the actual, playable game that is available to purchase by the consumer?

AlexBasch

Borderlands 1 had a sorry excuse of story/writing, but the gunplay, gun looting and figuring out how to build a powerful character was the main reason I was glued into the game for several months. But then, there are people that wrote the game off because "it has no story, and I demand Planescape Torment-like writing on everything I play, thus the game is factually bad". There's no pleasing all people.

Never played any of the other Tomb Raider games before, but I'm really enjoying this one. Only real complaint I have is the achievements (on Xbox). I've been playing for a few hours now, and the only achievement that I've unlocked is the one for doing an optional tomb mission. Looking at the achievement list, there are far too many multiplayer ones.

Not such a big deal, but still.
It's okay. I felt the same after seeing how almost all of the vanilla achievements/trophies of BF3 are campaign related. Focusing that on the less important aspect of the game is something I don't understand.

Unless it's COD4, since the campaign was awesome.

Nemesis_

Even more so when the people who outright hate it are purchasing it anyway.

So if the majority is enjoying something that they feel are honest feels, then it is wrong for them to be doing so?

Thats kind of fucked up, Clint.

No, but it's also not wrong for opposing viewpoints to be in the thread bringing up legitimate issues they have with the game. The point of the thread is discussion, positive or otherwise.

Yes, but there comes a point where the same repeated criticism does nothing to advance the conversation in a topic. The game has been made and the developer's choices have been set in stone. Perhaps a critique of the direction of the franchise would better be served in a separate thread rather than a thread focusing on the actual, playable game that is available to purchase by the consumer?

And that day will come, but until then, this is where the party's at. Can't clog up the front page every time you want to argue something about Tomb Raider.

hlhbk

The only reason you play games now is for stories that try to ape books and movies but cannot do so above a D-tier quality? That makes sense.

Maybe, but we don't even get an exception in this current industry anymore.

Um the stories in a lot of games are great. They are right up there with movies and books.

Andrew.

Banned
No, but it's also not wrong for opposing viewpoints to be in the thread bringing up legitimate issues they have with the game. The point of the thread is discussion, positive or otherwise.

No shit man. Totes.

Am I going to get sued? I didn't include the little bullshitty copyright symbol next to his tag.

Fuck.

To be fair, it wouldn't be hard to have better controls than Uncharted. Uncharted's main strength is the story and character depth. And graphics. Everything else ranges from shit to serviceable.

U2 was great, U3 is a chore to play at the best of times. Crystal Dynamics nailed the controls with Tomb Raider; super smooth and responsive.

But it's great to hear that whatever control/graphical issues you had with an earlier build got fixed. Making the wait for it harder.

I was "pro" Tomb Raider since the announcement of the game, mostly because I *wanted* it to be good because I loved the original series.

I was a bit pessimistic about the chances of the game reaching my lofty expectations after playing the pre-release build, but I'm very glad they've managed to polish the game up to a high standard.

Top Bottom