• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

ebil

Very nice OT, thanks!
Waiting patiently for GAFfers impressions before buying, especially old school TR fans: while the review scores are very good, I still don't know if is a game for me.

Gbraga

I don't think a NG+ would make sense here. It's like Arkham Asylum

At least letting you keep your combat upgrades so you can explore the enemy encounters in different and creative ways. I assume you don't have much time with the game once you have all upgrades (or at least all upgrades you can get in one playthrough)

Thanks for the Spec Ops: The Line spoilers asshole

I feel your pain, I dodged every spoiler bullet so far, but this one got me :/

Oh well, I guess I should play it before I see even more spoilers.

I totally agree. Having played videogames since the very beginning (yes, I am old) I am totally shocked and disappointed by the level of violence in todays games. And the saddest part is that younger generations are already desensitized by even these gross scenes. Next gen is really going to be a bloody shocking period and it has really driven me away from many modern games.

I hadn't even read the thread when I posted, but I'm pleased to see those gifs prompted a reaction in others.

I'm really no prude, and don't have a problem with violence in most games. But this just strikes me as so unnecessary. The reviews make the game sound like a thrilling and fun action adventure, almost a bit Indiana Jonesy, so why the need for the main character to get impaled by a huge pole right through her throat, grasping at it as she bleeds out? That's just gratuitous, dumb, crass and stupid. Have a bit of class, for god's sake.

I totally agree. Having played videogames since the very beginning (yes, I am old) I am totally shocked and disappointed by the level of violence in todays games. And the saddest part is that younger generations are already desensitized by even these gross scenes. Next gen is really going to be a bloody shocking period and it has really driven me away from many modern games.

While I agree it is "unnecessary", some of us play video games for their mechanics (as opposed to immersion) and at least for me I could not care less about what happens to the virtual people in these games, they are just mechanical obstacles to play against, nothing more - nothing less. Then again I don't like cutscenes or "cinematic experiences" so yeah.

dan2026

Is this another case of 'Nathan Drake Mass Murderer'?

Where the affable hero is a massive psychopath that puts all their enemies to shame.

Andrew.

Banned
It is, but in this episode, people actually question the violence and get offended by it.

Every time I see that scene with the branch stabbing Lauara in the face, I just think of Old School and Seann William Scotts character

dart.jpg

"You gotta fuckin' branch in your neck!"

Andrew.

Banned
Well I was directly following whats his names comment on it. Sometimes I quote sometimes I dont, especially if it's an immediate response. Like now.

gdt

Well I'm definitely excited. Can't wait really. Hopefully GMG gets the keys out decently early this time (lol right)....will there be a preload?

dan2026

Just watched the Gametrailers review and I don't really know what to make of this game.

It feels like this should of been some sort of open worldish action adventure game where combat is a last resort and extremely difficult to pull off.

Instead this 'young girl' seems to be positioned somewhere between The Punisher and The Terminator. She doesn't exactly need protecting, the islanders need protecting from her and that ice pick.

DukeBobby

To force obsessive-compulsive types to play a shitty, boring mini-game sideshow that most would never think twice about otherwise.

A fucking disgusting trend, to be sure.

Very true. I'm so glad that Yager avoided doing this with Spec Ops.

If the game has a fantastic multiplayer, then fair enough. However, when it's clearly tacked on shit that nobody will play, it's just pointless.

So played further last night! There was a puzzle in the main game! Not a side Tomb. OMFG ;) Granted it was the first one in hours but still was there! Also have done 2 side tombs, they are one puzzle but I still enjoy them. Having a blast with this. As for all these animated gun finishing gifs, I still have yet to actually do that. It might be a unlockable. The axe finisher was an unlocklable.

Reborn Trailer

edit: I am slow, many apologies.

I really want to know your thoughts once you get your hands on it. Since you have the same love for Alan Wake I do, I want to know if you feel the same with some of the similarities I see concerning sound, atmosphere and sense of scale. :D

So when I mentioned the little simlarity to Alan Wake aka seeing something far away you eventually get to! Lookie Lookie! I love little details like that.

There's the radio tower!
BG1O9dql.jpg

I'm getting closer!
k4iqse4l.jpg

I really want to know your thoughts once you get your hands on it. Since you have the same love for Alan Wake I do, I want to know if you feel the same with some of the similarities I see concerning sound, atmosphere and sense of scale. :D

Alan Wake fans don't like just that one bit, but also good storytelling and no modern generic gameplay trends :p. The "if you see it, you can go there" philosophy is more a Skyrim thing if anything.

Remind me again, why is it that a game about a woman stuck on an island with Cultist, savage, and violent men, is not allowed to allude to the fact that rape is a possible outcome if she were to get caught?

That's like making a game about war and not being allowed to use IEDs or suicide bombers, or making a game based in Rural African villages and getting flak for most of the natives being black... oh...

Well, if it was a movie, it would get a pass...

Odd that a scene that they've shown of the game in one of the trailers was of Lara getting captured and one of the men attempting to rape her.

Derrick01

Banned
To force obsessive-compulsive types to play a shitty, boring mini-game sideshow that most would never think twice about otherwise.

A fucking disgusting trend, to be sure.

Does it even work? I used to be an achievement whore when I had a 360, but switched to trophies now, and when I see a game with MP trophies if it's anything harder than play a ranked game I just end up going "well that's a game I'm not going to platinum". Because I'm simply not going to play MP for more than a quick game or two.

Alan Wake fans don't like just that one bit, but also good storytelling and no modern generic gameplay trends :p. The "if you see it, you can go there" philosophy is more a Skyrim thing if anything.

Yes but there is some amazing atmosphere and sound and to me that was a huge part of Alan Wake, not just the story.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It is, but in this episode, people actually question the violence and get offended by it.

Every time I see that scene with the branch stabbing Lauara in the face, I just think of Old School and Seann William Scotts character

dart.jpg

"You gotta fuckin' branch in your neck!"

I like you...I like you, but you're crazy. Hehe ha. You're crazy.

antitrop

Does it even work? I used to be an achievement whore when I had a 360, but switched to trophies now, and when I see a game with MP trophies if it's anything harder than play a ranked game I just end up going "well that's a game I'm not going to platinum". Because I'm simply not going to play MP for more than a quick game or two.
I tended to be exactly the same way, despite being a massive achievement whore.

But I hate shoe-horned multiplayer so much that I could rarely bring myself to care. It's one of the worst trends of the generation, taking away from our fantastic single player experiences to focus resources on creating a shitty deathmatch component not even worth 5 minutes of a gamer's time.

But that's a completely different issue.

Skilletor

and I was starting to like you too

Shame.

lol.

I hope we can still be friends!

:(

:p

Man, that gif has me cracking up. I love how the dude with the 'stache is trying to look all hard and then he's like, "Fuck it. Time to lean with it, rock with it."

brian!

i really like the juxtaposition of really brutal violence and someone learning how to protect themselves from their environment (you can take that specifically or generally, it works both ways I think)

and the fact that it makes people uncomfortable is also pretty cool and interesting, I hope the game kind of tackles the things I'm thinking about

G-Fex

I'm not sure I want to talk about the whole violence thing.

I'm not even sure I want to even make a review, I'm just not good at discussing this stuff.

antitrop

This is unfortunately true for me.
Don't worry, man. I 1000/1000'd Hannah Montana: The Movie.
I'm sure a few hours of Tomb Raider multiplayer actually aren't so bad.

With that said, Hannah Montana: The Movie was actually better than some other high budget, high profile games I've played this generation. I'm not even embarrassed.

I enjoyed it more than Resident Evil 6 and obviously Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

Although maybe that's just because it only took 4 hours to beat and I muted the volume and put a Giant Bombcast on while playing it.

kunonabi

Don't worry, man. I 1000/1000'd Hannah Montana: The Movie.
I'm sure a few hours of Tomb Raider multiplayer actually aren't so bad.

With that said, Hannah Montana: The Movie was actually better than some other high budget, high profile games I've played this generation. I'm not even embarrassed.

I enjoyed it more than Resident Evil 6 and obviously Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

Although maybe that's just because it only took 4 hours to beat and I muted the volume and put a Giant Bombcast on while playing it.

spotlight world tour was better.

Top Bottom