• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

G-Fex

I don't get achievement glory at all.

It's not at all satisfying like speedrunning or finishing the game in certain challenging conditions.

brian!

this is all from da hype but
affable is not a word I would use to describe this game atm lol

like where uncharted characteristically shrugs off murder, tomb raider seems to want to put it at the forefront

I don't really think that that will be a main visible thing in this game, but I have high hopes!

Bizazedo

I feel your pain, I dodged every spoiler bullet so far, but this one got me :/

Oh well, I guess I should play it before I see even more spoilers.

Haha, this made me have a thought.

Every game should have insane plot twists with fantastic endings to encourage buying new to avoid spoilers.

Toa TAK

Banned
Don't worry, man. I 1000/1000'd Hannah Montana: The Movie.
I'm sure a few hours of Tomb Raider multiplayer actually aren't so bad.

With that said, Hannah Montana: The Movie was actually better than some other high budget, high profile games I've played this generation. I'm not even embarrassed.

I enjoyed it more than Resident Evil 6 and obviously Medal of Honor: Warfighter.

Although maybe that's just because it only took 4 hours to beat and I muted the volume and put a Giant Bombcast on while playing it.

I'd believe it. Anything is probably better than MOH:Warfighter and RE6. Is it an easy 1000/1000? I'd pick that up from my local Blockbuster if that's the case.

...You know, for the points.

antitrop

I'd believe it. Anything is probably better than MOH:Warfighter and RE6. Is it an easy 1000/1000? I'd pick that up from my local Blockbuster if that's the case.

...You know, for the points.
I put it on my Gamefly queue because they wouldn't actually send me anything I wanted to play. Also 1000'd Terminator, TMNT and a few other shit games that are easy Achievements in like less than 5 hours. I had Gamefly for 2 months and I never once got mailed a single game that I even remotely wanted to play.

That was 3 years ago, though. They're probably better about that now, or at least I would hope so.

Andrew.

Banned
I put it on my Gamefly queue because they wouldn't actually send me anything I wanted to play. Also 1000'd Terminator, TMNT and a few other shit games that are easy Achievements in like less than 5 hours. I had Gamefly for 2 months and I never once got mailed a single game that I even remotely wanted to play.

That was 3 years ago, though. They're probably better about that now, or at least I would hope so.

No Last Airbender?! That's five minutes worth of "effort".

RagnarokX

iCi9McGKFrlUR.gif

That's appropriate; a scene where a bunch of guys defile art.

SmithnCo

I hope the multiplayer is good enough to keep people entertained on the road to level 60... Considering getting this in a few weeks.

G-Fex

my streaming schedule is booked with RE games but I should play some more TR games. I doubt I'll finish 1 but maybe play 2 or Legend then Anniversary then UW

Lord Phol

Great Conan review as always xD. Can't decided if I'm gonna pre-order this on GMG or not. Doesn't look like it does anything really new and I'm kind off tired of Assassins creed/far cry/uncharted games atm. Still, there's something with this game that lures me in.

Dyno

The reviews are quite positive and they're out well in advance. Looks like the game turned out pretty good!

Slacker

Two old-school reboots coming out next week, this and SimCity? I believe I'll go with the one on Steam. Looking forward to it. Great OP.

pakkit

Banned
It's also completely unnecessary too. That's graphic just for the sake of being graphic.

Welcome to third person shooters. I didn't hear this many complaints when people played Max Payne 3 and Red Dead Redemption. Either you come to grips with the fact that this is an empowerment fantasy just like the rest of them, or you criticize gratuitous violence as an enterprise.

wouwie

I just picked up the PS3 version. This is my first Tomb Raider since Tomb Raider 3 *excited* :)

It would be appreciated if you could give some feedback on how the game performs on PS3, especially framerate wise. I'm sort of waiting to order the ps3 version.

Jarmel

Banned
Welcome to third person shooters. I didn't hear this many complaints when people played Max Payne 3 and Red Dead Redemption. Either you come to grips with the fact that this is an empowerment fantasy just like the rest of them, or you criticize gratuitous violence as an enterprise.

There's a difference between cinematic and being gratuitous for the sake of being gratuitous. An example is The Last of Us which is more gorey than TR however it fits contextually very well into that world of desperation and brutality. Unless Lara is a psychopath, this doesn't make contextual sense. Hell, Drake doesn't curbstop people just for kicks and it wouldn't fit his character to do so.

dan2026

That's much worse than anything I've seen Drake do.

It seems so sadistic as well.

I thought the point was that killing people was unknown and aberrant to her.
And yet in all the gameplay I've seen she is going out of her way to butcher people.

I just don't get what the tone is they are going for.
If she is just trying to survive and ultimately escape the island, surely avoiding outright combat would make more sense. Fighting and killing would be highly risky considering she is portrayed as an amateur at survival, never mind high level slaughter.

Its not Commando the video game.

There's a difference between cinematic and being gratuitous for the sake of being gratuitous. An example is The Last of Us which is more gorey than TR however it fits contextually very well into that world of desperation and brutality. Unless Lara is a psychopath, this doesn't make contextual sense. Hell, Drake doesn't curbstop people just for kicks and it wouldn't fit his character to do so.

The same can be said about the new Tomb Raider.

antitrop

I think people are just going to have to accept the narrative dissonance to enjoy this game, as is the unfortunate case with almost all video games these days.

People who really give a shit about this sort of thing and haven't played Spec Ops: The Line yet are doing themselves an incredible disservice.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I think people are just going to have to accept the narrative dissonance to enjoy this game, as is the unfortunate case with almost all video games these days.

People who really give a shit about this sort of thing and haven't played Spec Ops: The Line yet are doing themselves an incredible disservice.

This stuff only started bothering me after I played Spec Ops. Normally I'd be all, "Cool! I get to bash that guy's head in!" But now I look at stuff like that and just think how completely unnecessary and repulsive it all is.

Jarmel

Banned
The same can be said about the new Tomb Raider.

It doesn't fit any of the media shown in regards to her character. That's probably a more apt way of putting it. Joel in The Last of Us, supposedly has an extremely ruthless background and is supposed to be a dark character. Joel's extreme acts of violence are justified in regards to his background and the circumstances in that world. The shotgun blast at the end of the E3 trailer wasn't supposed to glorify violence but just show how fucked up that world is. Lara purposefully lifting someone's head up to blow their brains doesn't fit the "I'm just trying to survive" aspect that the media has demonstrated so far. That isn't the actions of a person just trying to make it through events but rather that of someone enjoying themselves.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Drake's stuff seemed less violent but still had things like him dropping people off massive cliffs(even the innocent guard in UC2) and snapping necks of unaware people all over the place. His situation was also not necessarily pure survival, considering he's willingly going into these areas to search for treasure.

But yeah, I do agree in some of those gif kills don't seem to fit what they were going for in TR unless there is an apparent psychopath argument to be made, which I can't determine yet.

jimi_dini

This stuff only started bothering me after I played Spec Ops. Normally I'd be all, "Cool! I get to bash that guy's head in!" But now I look at stuff like that and just think how completely unnecessary and repulsive it all is.

same with me

I think we both got a scar from the game lol

Spec Ops serious spoiler:
what really frightened me was that after trying to walk past those civilians, but couldn't and then the next thing was that I shot them. At least a few seconds later I figured that I should have tried to shoot into the air, restarted the checkpoint and that worked. Still I was like wtf, why was my next thought to shoot them.

Drake's stuff seemed less violent but still had things like ... snapping necks of unaware people all over the place.

What really went over the line was that Drake MADE FUN of that. Snapped the neck and then said "that's your neck, hah, I'm so funny murdering people". I was like wtf. And sadly most people don't even notice that line at all. And they even kept this for Uncharted 3. I really want to know what went through the writers head at the time he/she wrote it. And why didn't they drop it.

It doesn't fit any of the media shown in regards to her character. That's probably a more apt way of putting it. Joel in The Last of Us, supposedly has an extremely ruthless background and is supposed to be a dark character. Joel's extreme acts of violence are justified in regards to his background and the circumstances in that world. The shotgun blast at the end of the E3 trailer wasn't supposed to glorify violence but just show how fucked up that world is. Lara purposefully lifting someone's head up to blow their brains doesn't fit the "I'm just trying to survive" aspect that the media has demonstrated so far. That isn't the actions of a person just trying to make it through events but rather that of someone enjoying themselves.

I quite agree with you but I saw the first 60 minutes of Tomb Raider (Walkthrough video) and in my opinion it actually fit's very well.

Jarmel

Banned
Drake's stuff seemed less violent but still had things like him dropping people off massive cliffs(even the innocent guard in UC2) and snapping necks of unaware people all over the place. His situation was also not necessarily pure survival, considering he's willingly going into these areas to search for treasure.

But yeah, I do agree in some of those gif kills don't seem to fit what they were going for in TR unless there is an apparent psychopath argument to be made, which I can't determine yet.

A lot of those methods that Drake uses are more efficient than anything else. It wouldn't be much different than if he slit throats, it's quiet(which is important for stealth). I do agree that he's not always in a survival-mode as he puts himself into these situations, however he's also going against well trained militia and soldiers half the time. It's not like he can sit down and have a chat with any of these guys. If he could go treasure hunting without running into warlords, then I think he would be fine with it. It's just the nature of the stuff that he's going for automatically attracts the worst kinds of people. He does get off on the danger aspect but I wouldn't necessarily say the killing aspect.

I quite agree with you but I saw the first 60 minutes of Tomb Raider (Walkthrough video) and in my opinion it actually fit's very well.

We'll see I guess. I'm probably going to just shrug it off once I'm playing the game however it does stick out in separate media.

kunonabi

Can't wait for the Tomb Raider: I Spit on Your Grave Edition.

They should have gone full bore in that direction. It's been obvious to me that CD really only likes Lara blowing dudes away and don't care much about the rest of the character. This was the perfect opportunity to get away from that aspect of the character and they didn't even try.

MjFrancis

I'm okay with a bipolar narrative. I've accepted that it's going to be bad, but I'm not that fond of most cutscenes anyways. It's not that cutscenes are inherently bad in video games, it's just that most video game cutscenes happen to be poorly written and executed. They should be tolerable enough so long everything else in this TPS works well.

Moff

I love both young girls and ultra violence, I dont see the issue here, this is a video game.

and lara croft had one of the worst character designs in video game history. if you ever needed an example to show what en immature medium video games were you just had to point at big titted ridicoulusly dressed lara croft. I am amazed how many people jump out and actually defend that.

not saying killing hundreds of people brutally is in any way mature, but hell that relaunch was desperately needed.

Top Bottom