• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Sorian

Banned
How long do you expect a single player narrative driven experience to last?

13 hours seems almost borderline excessive, to me. But I have hardcore gaming ADD.

At full price, I should be spending 1 hay penny per hour of single player action. Your move devs.

Since the comparison video popped up again in this thread - like I've said a hundred times already.....it's not to be trusted:

Lettuce said:
Hmm this is the 360 version that i captured from my gameplay session....

iTTv5Nr6vtXGl.bmp

It's also been stated that the 360 version has a slightly better framerate than the PS3 version. Just wait for Digital Foundry.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
This is one of the longer SP campaigns in recent memory for a game of this type. Longer than the Uncharteds, at least.

It has more SP replay value, too.

So I've literally read all 11 pages I missed ;p

I'm kind of coming over to the side of the vanquish people for best TPS of the gen after finally playing it thanks to PS+. God damn that game was crazy.

Saving this for the next time someone says you have bad taste.

Exactly why we question why the hell guys like you are still in this thread.

Majority rules. Game is great and those who have it fucking like it.

End of story.

Elite gaming forum being elite gaming forum.

I hope this isn't you misunderstanding how democracy works.

Just messing with you, but we're gonna have fun in the Infinite OT ;p

yes and no. combat and controls are great and an improvement over the old games, same goes for the story and character of lara. i also love the metroid-ish approach of the hub-levels (unlock new areas with new gear).

but the puzzles are piss easy and there is not a lot of them, platforming is also heavily toned down (not as bad as uncharted).

its a solid new start for the franchise, lets just hope the sequel is more about tombs and less about killing dudes.

Sounds like my best case scenario for what I expected for the game. I like that sort o hub progress and that sort of reinforces the Arkham comparisons, and if the platforming is only as dumbed down as Underworld and not full-on Uncharted garbage, I think I'll enjoy at least part of this.

I'm gonna get this Thursday probably (Gamefly). I'm just sad to basically lose the elements I loved the most about the old games. The atmosphere I've seen so far is the main thing giving me some enthusiasm at the moment.

Upon completing this, any subsequent diatribe I will submit will be edited below a thousand words, I swear.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
??

How so? No one has mentioned anything that would add replayability. Something unlocked?

The collectibles, hidden tombs, etc. They're actually worth collecting for lore reasons, unlike the treasures in Uncharted. And many of them are hidden behind little traversal puzzles, etc. If you burn through the campaign and treat it like an Uncharted, you'll have a lot to go back and do afterwards.

One was up in a tree platform and I had to follow the line back quite a ways to find the point where I could climb up and get on the path to retrieving it.

Well it's already seen by some here more favorably than Uncharted 3 without anyone really jumping on them.

I say Uncharted 2 > Tomb Raider = Uncharted 3 > Uncharted 1.

Feel free to swap around 1 and 3 if that's your taste. Uncharted 2 is a masterpiece and is better than Tomb Raider, but I put Tomb Raider equal to my 2nd-choice Uncharted.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
The collectibles, hidden tombs, etc. They're actually worth collecting for lore reasons, unlike the treasures in Uncharted. And many of them are hidden behind little traversal puzzles, etc. If you burn through the campaign and treat it like an Uncharted, you'll have a lot to go back and do afterwards.

One was up in a tree platform and I had to follow the line back quite a ways to find the point where I could climb up and get on the path to retrieving it.

Ah, I see. Wouldn't call that replayability though, especially since the world is just free roam after you beat the game right? Not a new game+ or anything. I'd assume it all has to be collected in one save file for the trophs as well.

I never said what your post quoting me says... O_O

False quotation is punishable under the Uniform Code of NeoGAF Justice, Article 92.

Had no idea what you were talkin about and then I checked..wtf..wonder how that happened. Maybe a multiquote hiccup.

dummydecoy

Any chances this game is gonna get a "remaster" for next gen? I'd rather wait for that than play this game on consoles with framedips.

How long do you expect a single player narrative driven experience to last?

13 hours seems almost borderline excessive, to me. But I have hardcore gaming ADD.

12-15 hours feels like a good "sweet spot" of any singleplayer narrative focused action/adventure/shooter title, that's not excessive at all. I think it's a good goal for devs, narrative wise, to create a solid 3 act story, 4-5 hours each act. Unfortunately, due to budget, time, hyper-explosive scripting speeding you through levels, whatever, most games these days are barely 7-10 hours. It works for some titles, but not only do most of those narratives fall flat, the game itself barely commands the $60 price tag.

Though Tomb Reboot looks to avoid a very short campaign it seems to commit the other design sin which is no new game+ and nothing to unlock for multiple playthroughs, even simple skins which are all pre-order bonuses.

antitrop

Any chances this game is gonna get a "remaster" for next gen? I'd rather wait for that than play this game on consoles with framedips.
I highly doubt it, but I'm assuming you already have a good reason for not playing it on PC, otherwise you wouldn't have made the post.

Pimpbaa

Does the PC version have tessellation? Just wonder since it uses the same engine as DE:HR.

edit: NM, it does. Hope this game doesn't make me regret getting a 660 Ti.

nib95

Banned
This is the best looking game on the 360 by the way.

Seriously? I can't see it topping Halo 4, Horizon and Gears. Maybe you just really dig the art style or something? Graphically this game is lacking in several areas imo. Lighting, shadows, textures, post processing, poly's in characters etc, not up there with the best of them. Then there's the lack of SSAO, no deferred rendering etc, that just takes away from the spectacle a little. I will say they did a fantastic job on the atmosphere and art given what they have.

Though Tomb Reboot looks to avoid a very short campaign it seems to commit the other design sin which is no new game+ and nothing to unlock for multiple playthroughs, even simple skins which are all pre-order bonuses.

Oh, wow. Did not know this. That's a huge detractor as I honestly thought the game should have bestowed a lot of Lara's later powers/abilities muchhhhh earlier.

Seriously? I can't see it topping Halo 4, Horizon and Gears. Maybe you just really dig the art style or something? Graphically this game is lacking in several areas imo. Lighting, shadows, textures, post processing, poly's in characters etc, not up there with the best of them.

A lot of it does have to do with the art-style - which is insanely good here. The various weather effects, the water, the fire, the lighting, the textures, the obsessive amounts of detail, the varied/interesting locations and the animations are all top shelf. Seriously, I could write a whole essay on why this game looks stunning and is one of the prettiest games I've ever played, but I think you just have to play it yourself to truly understand why it looks so damn impressive. A lot of the little things in the game add up. It's the complete package.

nib95

Banned
A lot of it does have to do with the art-style - which is insanely good here. The various weather effects, the water, the fire, the lighting, the textures, the obsessive amounts of detail, the varied/interesting locations and the animations are all top shelf. Seriously, I could write a whole essay on why this game looks stunning and is one of the prettiest games I've ever played, but I think you just have to paly it yourself to truly understand why it looks so damn impressive. A lot of the little things in the game add up. It's the complete package.

Based even on the screens posted, and the various video's out there, lighting, textures and detail are not strong points. But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and reserve final judgement till I play it.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Oh, wow. Did not know this. That's a huge detractor as I honestly thought the game should have bestowed a lot of Lara's later powers/abilities muchhhhh earlier.

Why I wasn't sure what the previous poster meant about replayability. That seems like the games big weakness now. I'm guessing they put most of their effort in terms of unlockables in the mp.

A lot of it does have to do with the art-style - which is insanely good here. The various weather effects, the water, the fire, the lighting, the textures, the obsessive amounts of detail, the varied/interesting locations and the animations are all top shelf. Seriously, I could write a whole essay on why this game looks stunning and is one of the prettiest games I've ever played, but I think you just have to paly it yourself to truly understand why it looks so damn impressive. A lot of the little things in the game add up. It's the complete package.

Animations, the environment and weather effects are the game's visual strong points. I found it looked best at times of moderate darkness and inclement weather. I also found that the obligatory burning building stage looked a lot better than that in UC3.

Character moderls are, for the most part, pretty damn average
especially when compared to UC :)

dreamfall

I'm much more excited about Bioshock Infinite, to be honest. But the return of Lara always is a priority- one of my most revered franchises growing up. I just hope that after this reboot phase is completed, we can incorporate some of the older traditions of the TR games.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'll ask again - to anyone who played the PS3 version, did you experience any framerate slowdown?

Also Slasher watching your review now. I remember your review of RE6 back when it came out was pretty level headed, so looking forward to see what you thought of TR.

Top Bottom