• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

You said Laura Croft, all opinions immediately invalidated. Just kidding, still watching.

LOL I knew that would get noticed :D

Also Slasher watching your review now. I remember your review of RE6 back when it came out was pretty level headed, so looking forward to see what you thought of TR.

Yeah I highly enjoyed it and while I have some gripes, I feel the biggest complaints will be by the people that can't look past what the game has changed too versus what is actually here.

antitrop

BioShock Infinite being the game of the year or a 6/10 would not surprise me either way, honestly.

I have no idea what the fuck that game is going to be, but I hope it's awesome.

BioShock Infinite being the game of the year or a 6/10 would not surprise me either way, honestly.

That's funny, cuz I was thinking the same thing. Either it's one of the best games of the year, or it's just kinda average-to-mediocre. I don't think there's a chance of it being Alies CM status of fuckin' disaster zone. The writing was on the wall for that game for months, from the bad previews to the rough videos.

when did this comparison become okay

and why do you keep doing it

it never became ok. Every time I see it, my eyes roll just a little harder than the last time.

antitrop

40 pages ago, I think. I believe there are at least five separate people (maybe a few more) who have made direct comparisons between Tomb Raider and Resident Evil 4 in this thread alone, and it's not even street date.

BY2K

Membero Americo
It can't be worse than bioshock 1. It's impossible, that game lowered my standards and expectations for a Levine game so much that I'm not going into this hoping for a modern SS2 this time.

Please name me one game released in the last 5 years that you liked, enjoyed, LOVED. PLEASE. I must know.

Derrick01

Banned
what in the actual fuck

It's not exactly a shocking opinion for anyone who played SS2. Bioshock was a massively consolized game to sell as much as possible on consoles. They even admit as much on their postmortem. They were making Bioshock to be a lot like SS2 but decided it wasn't streamlined or marketable enough so they dumbed down most of the gameplay they had to make it more like a FPS.

hlhbk

It can't be worse than bioshock 1. It's impossible, that game lowered my standards and expectations for a Levine game so much that I'm not going into this hoping for a modern SS2 this time.

I offically think you are trolling us. Bioschock was amazing.

dreamfall

I keep glossing over the RE4 comparisons.

It doesn't make sense to me- RE4 felt revolutionary in a ton of ways. The game featured the over the shoulder mechanic for the first time (for me at least)- which later seemed to evolve in the majority of TPS games.

Does the comparison stand because it is a reboot of a franchise that attempts to do something radically different? I think the lasting effects of RE4 set the stage for this generation. Isn't this Tomb Raider a collection of most of the modern game mechanics we've seen in other titles ? It can be a wonderful adventure game with the inclusion of these systems, but does it redefine/introduce something new? It doesn't have to be revolutionary, but can we consider it akin to RE4?

I'm not getting it.

and why do you keep doing it

Because Resident Evil 4 had unbelievable atmosphere due to its setting and amount of detail - and so does Tomb Raider. What's the problem?

I place Resident Evil 4 on the highest pedestal when it comes to its atmosphere and mood, and now Tomb Raider sits right alongside it for me.

Tricky is slowly creeping into less subjective statements which are objectively, demonstrably false.

It's not gonna be by me though. I just like to smile and nod and hope he never finds my address.

Satchel

Banned

I'm not sure what to make of you as a poster.

You seem predictably cynical, yet can still surprise with your preferences.

dreamfall

Because Resident Evil 4 had unbelievable atmosphere due to its setting and amount of detail - and so does Tomb Raider. What's the problem?

I place the Resident Evil 4 on the highest pedestal when it comes to its atmosphere/mood, and now Tomb Raider sits right alongside it for me.

Ah- so that's the comparison. The atmosphere in the game.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Bioshock is pretty shit, not exactly a new or original opinion.

Deadbeat

Banned
Thats how im looking at it. To lower my standards of competition, it has to compete against Minervas Den for me. Can it outdo Minervas Den.

Is there any multiplayer impressions for Tomb Raider out there besides some questionable videos?

Risette

A Good Citizen
That's funny, cuz I was thinking the same thing. Either it's one of the best games of the year, or it's just kinda average-to-mediocre. I don't think there's a chance of it being Alies CM status of fuckin' disaster zone.
MTMB is rubbing off on you
40 pages ago, I think. I believe there are at least five separate people (maybe a few more) who have made direct comparisons between Tomb Raider and Resident Evil 4 in this thread alone, and it's not even street date.
gonna throw up

Please name me one game released in the last 5 years that you liked, enjoyed, LOVED. PLEASE. I must know.

I'm kind of coming over to the side of the vanquish people for best TPS of the gen after finally playing it thanks to PS+. God damn that game was crazy.

antitrop

For me, BioShock's triumphs outweigh its flaws. It is a good game, just barely short of a great game.

It has some of the best first 30 minutes of any game I've ever played. It drags in the middle and the end.

A great game conceptually, thematically, and narratively, but sometimes you do actually have to play it. Could have been a lot more fun to play, I guess.

Comparing Tomb Raider to Resident Evil 4, as I've mentioned before, is foolish. I'm not even saying this to knock Tomb Raider, I'm saying it because it is demonstrably false. Resident Evil 4 is 1. not a reboot 2. took an existing franchise and practically invented a whole new genre. Tomb Raider re-imagines an existing canon and places it into a well-worn, time-tested style of gameplay. It takes virtually no risks whatsoever.

Picking one nebulous aspect of the game ("atmosphere") to compare Tomb Raider to RE4 is disingenuous because it ignores every other important piece of context for both games, and honestly does both games a disservice.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I think BioShock would have been much better if they dialed down the combat significantly. I might have been interested enough to get through the game if I didn't have to put up with the shit combat and annoying enemies.

BanGy.nz

Banned
Love bioshock? cool, this isn't the place for it. Hate bioshock? cool, this isn't the place for it.

So after finishing this reboot I've decided to jump in and play Anniversary. I'm assuming PC version is the best version.

Love bioshock? cool, this isn't the place for it. Hate bioshock? cool, this isn't the place for it.

So after finishing this I've decided to jump in and play Anniversary. I'm assuming PC version is the best version.

I have all the TR's from a steam sale. Thinking I can probably play through one before tomorrow, don't know which one to start. Everyone seems to juggle between Anniversary and Underworld. Thoughts anyone?

dreamfall

So after finishing this I've decided to jump in and play Anniversary. I'm assuming PC version is the best version.

Had you played it before?

If not, it's a real treat. It feels slower, and much more methodical in its structure- compared to Legend and Underworld. It's a great collection of some of the best TR levels and encounters.

I'd say play Anniversary, Legend and save Underworld for last.

Because I said that I think Tomb Raider has atmosphere right up there with Resident Evil 4? Okay? o_O

I was thinking more about this being the best looking 360 game.

I offically think you are trolling us. Bioschock was amazing.

I vastly preferred watching the lady of the house play Bioshock 1 than playing it myself.

I bought her SS2 for her birthday so she can judge for herself.

She actually thinks BI looks like shit and she'll be the one watching this time.

So I think I'm going to get this based on the impressions and the atmosphere of the island. I hope I'm not disappointed after the comparisons to RE4 or Lost.

BanGy.nz

Banned
Had you played it before?

If not, it's a real treat. It feels slower, and much more methodical in its structure- compared to Legend and Underworld. It's a great collection of some of the best TR levels and encounters.

I'd say play Anniversary, Legend and save Underworld for last.

No never played a tomb raider game before and thanks for the advice, thats the order I'll play them in.

GenoZStriker

Neo Member
I have all the TR's from a steam sale. Thinking I can probably play through one before tomorrow, don't know which one to start. Everyone seems to juggle between Anniversary and Underworld. Thoughts anyone?

They all more or less play the same. The timeline goes Anniversary > Legend > Underworld. Legend has a bit more combat than the rest.

Top Bottom