• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So I think I'm going to get this based on the impressions and the atmosphere of the island. I hope I'm not disappointed after the comparisons to RE4 or Lost.

Uh oh. That's a recipe for disappointment.

As has been said before, RE4 practically invented a new genre whereas Tomb Raider is taking the best of many genres and blending them together. Comparing the two is counterproductive.

Also Legend is my favorite of the Crystal Dynamics TR trilogy.

As has been said before, RE4 practically invented a new genre whereas Tomb Raider is taking the best of many genres and blending them together. Comparing the two is counterproductive.

I don't mean that Tomb Raider is going to be as amazing or genre redefining. I don't even love RE4 that much, but the gameplay was great.

I think comparing Tomb Raider to Resident Evil 4 is justifiable.

Tomb Raider isn't reinventing the wheel like Resident Evil 4 did...Tomb Raider does borrow and perfect a lot of stuff from other games (even though it does do some things very well that aren't borrowed such as the automatic cover system). But I'm not comparing them for this reason. I'm comparing them for what both games have done to change up the formula for each franchise. It's a very similar situation. They’re both treated with a lot of love and care. The fact that both games are extremely well paced cinematic games with amazing atmosphere/attention to detail is also a reason to compare them.

I was thinking more about this being the best looking 360 game.

It's just my opinion man...it'll be interesting to see what others think.

Jarmel

Banned

Tomb Raider isn't reinventing the wheel like Resident Evil 4 did...Tomb Raider does borrow and perfect a lot of stuff from other games (even though it does do some things very well that aren't borrowed such as the automatic cover system). But I'm not comparing them for this reason. I'm comparing them for what both games have done to change up the formula for each franchise. It's a very similar situation. They’re both treated with a lot of love and care. The fact that both games are extremely well paced cinematic games with amazing atmosphere/attention to detail is also a reason to compare them.

I have a feeling you're going to regret saying that.

TR is a nice looking modern game. You're enamoured with how nice it looks and it happens to be very different to its predecessors. It isn't RE4

Tricky pls

Tomb Raider isn't reinventing the wheel like Resident Evil 4 did...Tomb Raider does borrow and perfect a lot of stuff from other games (even though it does do some things very well that aren't borrowed such as the automatic cover system). But I'm not comparing them for this reason. I'm comparing them for what both games have done to change up the formula for each franchise. It's a very similar situation. They’re both treated with a lot of love and care. The fact that both games are extremely well paced cinematic games with amazing atmosphere/attention to detail is also a reason to compare them..

These are increasingly un-quantifiable and nebulous parameters for comparison.

And automatic cover is absolutely borrowed.

Yeah, well you said it in your video so you've kinda nailed your colors to the mast. :)

Yeah and I agree with what he is saying, in how its not about being totally new gaming mechanics but the way the series is change and different yet such high quality and paced.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
40 pages ago, I think. I believe there are at least five separate people (maybe a few more) who have made direct comparisons between Tomb Raider and Resident Evil 4 in this thread alone, and it's not even street date.

It is probably the most appropriate comparison to make regarding this game and the changes it made. My comparison was never about the actual quality of the game.

Tomb Raider comparisons to RE4 are leaning more towards a gamestyle reboot that hits well on pacing, combat and atmosphere moreso than the revolutionary ripple the game itself caused.

Exactly.

Kotor 2 came out like 2 months before RE4 though.

I'm an Obsidian fanboy, but RE 4 is a lot better than KOTOR 2.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
RE4 is a perfect storm that is extremely rare to see. It not only reinvented a franchise, it did so with a lengthy campaign that was nearly pitch perfectly paced, with a wealth of unlockable content to further extend the life of it. Great combat system, wealth of enemies and bosses.

Tomb Raider comparisons to RE4 are leaning more towards a gamestyle reboot that hits well on pacing, combat and atmosphere moreso than the revolutionary ripple the game itself caused.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'll consider it a tie.

i_m_ok_with_this__n1296497202304__super.png

Both Shinji Mikami games btw. What a freaking genius.

katkombat

Banned
The best game of the previous console generation.
Psychonauts says hello. ;)

Anyways I'm starting to debate whether I should have gotten the CE or just stick with the SE because I really think this game will be one of my favorites. It's shocking how many games in the past year or so have made it into my favorite games of all time. Hell, I already have one this year (Revengence)!

I'm sort of glad people are calling out the RE4 comparisons to new TR. It scared me more how many people were saying it, more than someone saying it. I'm starting to wonder if I should play RE4 or REmake again soon, to see how the puzzles stack up against new TR.

Much like how Tomb Raider is the best game this gen...

....what else have you played this gen to make THAT kind of statement?

The best game of the previous console generation.
I don't agree, but I'll say that it is in my Top 3. I meant more, what is RE4 to you? It seems a lot of praise that is heaped on RE4(rightfully so) can almost exactly be put on TR. BUT, that is from the impressions I'm getting from this thread. I am still waiting on the Steam Hamsters to push the button to let me play.
RE4 is a perfect storm that is extremely rare to see. It not only reinvented a franchise, it did so with a lengthy campaign that was nearly pitch perfectly paced, with a wealth of unlockable content to further extend the life of it. Great combat system, wealth of enemies and bosses.

Very well said.
The greatest game of all time, one of the great artistic achievements of mankind, and perhaps proof of a higher power.
This is awesome. I love your enthusiasm. Hilarious. No really, I literally laughed out loud, and I don't normally do that from people's post.

Psychonauts says hello. ;)

tumblr_mbp10hMp991r3zat8.gif

hlhbk

Impossible because there's no such thing as a perfect game. I can find no less than 10 things wrong with every game ever.

Doom is a perfect game. Yes there may be technical advances that have happened since then, but it had it all. Graphics, gameplay, and more I could still just rave about.

Name a game you don't have anything negative to say about.

Ummm...Halo:reach is one of the greatest FPS games of all time, and it has problems. Like the match making, the lag, the stupid abilities, y'know?

Doom is a perfect game. Yes there may be technical advances that have happened since then, but it had it all. Graphics, gameplay, and more I could still just rave about.

Doom was not perfect. The level design was terrible. Many of the custom maps were far superior because they didn't just copy paste canyons.

Much like how Tomb Raider is the best game this gen...

That's impossible since RE4 was released in HD this gen. Best game going for 2 straight generations. The only games that have come close to its impact have been Gears, Uncharted 2, and Call of Duty 4, all of which aren't nearly as polished, robust, and/or tight.

RE4 is still in the throne. Maybe Valve will make a run for it whenever Half Life 3 decides to grace us with its presence. Or maybe Mikami tops himself with Project Zwei, cause no one else is really trying anymore.

shIPmfi.jpg

Until then, we chillin...

When I play Tomb Raider and if you are wrong about this, I will hunt you down.

Top Bottom