• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

hlhbk

Ummm...Halo:reach is one of the greatest FPS games of all time, and it has problems. Like the match making, the lag, the stupid abilities, y'know?

Doom was not perfect. The level design was terrible. Many of the custom maps were far superior because they didn't just copy paste canyons.

The level design was amazing. Just because the modding community made some good maps doesn't take away from Doom's brillance.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'm just wasting time until the game comes out, man. This is the poppin' thread. This is where all the people be.

EjzIJ.gif

My Video review for 360. If you want to skip the silly live action intro just go to 1:32. That's when the real review will kick in.

I am not a big fan of Uncharted series - thought it is too linear/scripted, and the characters and story are way too cheesey and superhuman-like too be relatable.

Having played 3 hours of this game I'd say I love this way more than Uncharted. There are more exploration to do in this game, and Lara is much more human than Drake is. Yes the character development of Lara kinda contradicts with the her gameplay style, but still the whole story is more easy to get absorbed into.

Just finished it. It's fucking fantastic,

ibqN71yO96eGJd.gif

but I want to do a proper write up on my thoughts when I have had a good night's sleep (It's 4am). The endgame is very climactic and I loved the way they did it.

I'm going to stop here for now, 4 hours on PS3 so far and that's definitely a quality game. I always had faith in what CD could do with a new direction and I was right, I can't be adamant just yet but it's likely that this TR is going to impress me a lot more than Uncharted 3 which bored me to death.

http://press-start.com.au/2013/03/04/tomb-raider-review/

Here is our review. Absolutely amazing game. Story is a little bit forced but the gameplay is absolutely amazing.

tumblr_ma1x2wwmzh1qd00mn.gif

tumblr_m6wppqSqKn1rxhu0oo2_500.gif

antitrop

Speaking of Doom, I just started playing through Brutal Doom a few days ago.

I haven't had that much fun in a video game like that since Bulletstorm.

I haven’t finished the game - so my opinion could change, but Uncharted 2 was my number 1.

Red Dead Redemption and Bayonetta come after it - I'd like to think I have pretty good taste.

Outside of TR, those games are pretty good, so I'd say your taste is alright by my standards. It'll be even weirder when I get to Tomb Raider, cause now I know what it really reminds me of, even more than Uncharted

MV5BMjA5NzQ1NTgwNV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwNjUxMzUzMw@@._V1_SX214_.jpg

AndyBNV

Nvidia
Hmm, FlyVPN's Aussie server is offline, so looks like I'll be unlocking via Japan a couple of hours after the Aussie unlock time.

Varna

I'm much more excited about Bioshock Infinite, to be honest. But the return of Lara always is a priority- one of my most revered franchises growing up. I just hope that after this reboot phase is completed, we can incorporate some of the older traditions of the TR games.

I see it as a no win situation. Game does well, more Uncharted inspired games in future. Game bombs, no more Tomb Raider for a while.

I would be happy to see smaller budget titles featuring this Lara in a more puzzle/platforming adventure with the big Uncharted spectacle only coming out every few years but I doubt that's a possibility.

What is the VPN time? Is it really 9 hours from now? I'll VPN the hell out of this if true.

9 hours from now which is 12AM EST

Did you stop playing at Anor Londo?

Duke's Archive was cool, New Londo wasn't particularly expansive but was a nice area nonetheless. I can see someone having a problem with Tomb of the Giants but it had to be somewhat navigable without a light source hence how linear it is.

Demon Ruins + Lost Izalith were fucking ass, I don't disagree with that.

9 hours from now which is 12AM EST

Duke's Archive was cool, New Londo wasn't particularly expansive but was a nice area nonetheless. I can see someone having a problem with Tomb of the Giants but it had to be somewhat navigable without a light source hence how linear it is.

Demon Ruins + Lost Izalith were fucking ass, I don't disagree with that.

9 Hours? 1 hour from now is 12AM EST. Are you thinking of a different country that may be ahead? Like Aus?

AndyBNV

Nvidia
What is the VPN time? Is it really 9 hours from now? I'll VPN the hell out of this if true.

4pm CET is the Japanese unlock time according to Steam.

Easy way to see unlock times is to go to http://www.steamprices.com/de/app/203160/tomb-raider, change the region on the top right, then click the price of the game in the new region. This will put you on a localized store page and show you the number of hours until the game is unlocked in that particular locale.

4pm CET is the Japanese unlock time according to Steam.

Easy way to see unlock times is to go to http://www.steamprices.com/de/app/203160/tomb-raider, change the region on the top right, then click the price of the game in the new region. This will put you on a localized store page and show you the number of hours until the game is unlocked in that particular locale.

Wow, that's a cool trick. I'm gonna have to remember that. Thanks. So Aus. VPN is the way to go if their is one available?

I would suggest not doing this I have heard of a lot of people getting banned for using VPN on Steam.

I've done it a few times already without any issues. Would hate for this to be the exception. But, I've always "hear" about it, but never actually met(internet or RL) that it actually affected. I think it has more to do with people VPN'ing into a region that has the game substantially cheaper and buying it that way as opposed to just buying your regions set prices.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
To fellow Aussies awaiting the PC version, Squeenix has pushed back the unlock date to match that of the US, so instead of unlocking ~8.5 hours from now, we now have to wait ~24.5 hours.

Edit: Oh, wait, never mind. I didn't realise the link I clicked had /?cc=us in the URL. Crisis averted!

To fellow Aussies awaiting the PC version, Squeenix has pushed back the unlock date to match that of the US, so instead of unlocking ~8.5 hours from now, we now have to wait ~24.5 hours.

Edit: Oh, wait, never mind. I didn't realise the link I clicked had /?cc=us in the URL. Crisis averted!

You sure?

edit: just saw your edit. I was about to be pissed off and was gonna stomp around the house and generally act like a spoiled brat and annoy the hell out of the wife. CRYSIS(yup) averted.

hlhbk

Wow, that's a cool trick. I'm gonna have to remember that. Thanks. So Aus. VPN is the way to go if their is one available?

I've done it a few times already without any issues. Would hate for this to be the exception. But, I've always "hear" about it, but never actually met(internet or RL) that it actually affected. I think it has more to do with people VPN'ing into a region that has the game substantially cheaper and buying it that way as opposed to just buying your regions set prices.

I know of at least 3 different people that this has effected and were banned. Considering I have 374 games on Steam unlocking a game early isn't worth the risk to me.

I know of at least 3 different people that this has effected and were banned. Considering I have 374 games on Steam unlocking a game early isn't worth the risk to me.

What was the reason though? Was it for unlocking? It seems steam wouldn't ban people for that. I have 296 myself.

hlhbk

What was the reason though? Was it for unlocking? It seems steam wouldn't ban people for that. I have 296 myself.

They certainly would ban for unlocking a game early. If they see you using a VPN at all they will ban you and have said that multiple times on the Steam forums when people complained. When the people I knew contact Steam support they were told it was logged that the IP was of a VPN and the account was perma banned without any possibility of being reinstated.

They certainly would ban for unlocking a game early. If they see you using a VPN at all they will ban you and have said that multiple times on the Steam forums when people complained. When the people I knew contact Steam support they were told it was logged that the IP was of a VPN and the account was perma banned without any possibility of being reinstated.

Well, those people were doing something like I mentioned earlier, they were buying russian prices(which are significantly cheaper). I've easily VPN'd multiple times for many different games. The difference is I think, is that I've already purchased my titles and have them in my inventory as opposed to VPN and then buying. I appreciate the warning though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I would suggest not doing this I have heard of a lot of people getting banned for using VPN on Steam.

For using a VPN to bypass their regional store for the express purpose of avoiding local pricing, yes. For using a VPN to activate keys or unlock games early, no, despite the SSA discouraging the use of a VPN at all. I and indeed plenty of other GAFers have been doing the latter for years.

Top Bottom