• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Danny-Boy

This thread is gold. Comparing Tomb Raider to Resident Evil 4? Not even remotely close. This game is a standard third person shooter with little platforming and a few kindergarten level puzzles.

It's not a bad game, but in no way does it deserve Resident Evil 4 status. This game is a straight up copy of Uncharted.

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I remember being really impressed by the reveal of this; thinking I really liked the atmosphere of what was being shown.

But that was SOOOO long ago, that I've honestly completely stayed in the dark on this title. Randomly clicked it a couple days ago and saw all the positive reviews, and decide to snag one of those Never Settle PC coupons people have floating around for like $25. First game I'm going to go into nearly completely blind in a LONG time.

I normally don't care about spoilers; but since this is such a different approach for me, I think I'm going to avoid reading/watching reviews.

Anyone want to quickly summarize the good and bad for me?

It won't effect you if you already bought the game and VPN to unlock early. Only if you VPN and buy at a cheaper price than what your region sales it at. Gaben wouldn't do that to you.

JaseC said:
For using a VPN to bypass their region's store for the purpose of avoiding local pricing, yes. For using a VPN to activate keys or unlock games early, no, despite the SSA discouraging the use of a VPN at all. Myself and plenty of other GAFers have been doing the latter for years.
Yesss

The same way all of us do, by not playing games.

We don't play them, we criticize.
oprah-o.gif

edit: I hate that I used sales instead of sells. I don't know why, but I cringe when I see a typo I've made.

I remember being really impressed by the reveal of this; thinking I really liked the atmosphere of what was being shown.

But that was SOOOO long ago, that I've honestly completely stayed in the dark on this title. Randomly clicked it a couple days ago and saw all the positive reviews, and decide to snag one of those Never Settle PC coupons people have floating around for like $25. First game I'm going to go into nearly completely blind in a LONG time.

I normally don't care about spoilers; but since this is such a different approach for me, I think I'm going to avoid reading/watching reviews.

Anyone want to quickly summarize the good and bad for me?

The good: Lara has nice hair.
The bad: Lara has not as nice boobs and can't swim.

Varna

For using a VPN to bypass their regional store for the express purpose of avoiding local pricing, yes. For using a VPN to activate keys or unlock games early, no, despite the SSA discouraging the use of a VPN at all. I and indeed plenty of other GAFers have been doing the latter for years.

I think I'll try it for this game. Except, I have no idea how. Anyone want to give me the run-down?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I think I'll try it for this game. Except, I have no idea how. Anyone want to give me the run-down?

Instructions will be posted once/if we find a suitable Aus-based VPN provider.

Edit: Since Raitosaito is offering, the gist of it is that you exit Steam, run the VPN and ensure your IP has changed (simply type "what's my ip" into Google), and then run Steam again. Unless you can remain online with the VPN enabled, it's recommended that you unlock the game and switch to Offline Mode as otherwise, once the VPN is no longer running, the "Play" button will revert back to "Pre-load" (Steam won't boot you out of the game, though).

When does Tomb Raider unlock for AUS?

7.5 hours from now.

Edit: D'oh, didn't switch tabs.

I have a paid VPN account with VPNtraffic I'm willing to share with GAF.
I just use it for early release so yeah. Feels like I'm wasting money.

Absolutely. Maybe PM me the login and p/w? If not, no biggie. I've never used a free VPN I always pay the $3 for the two day trials. I'll be staying up late to VPN this one.

It's easy.
  • Down load whichever VPN provider you choose to use.
  • Login and select the country to VPN in to, in this case, Australia.
  • Start up Steam and let it download the last bit of unlock data.
  • Put Steam in off-line mode after it's done downloading.(it needs to stay in off-line mode if you want to continue playing TR before your countries official unlock time/date.)
  • Play.

it's recommended that you unlock the game and switch to Offline Mode.

I remember the good old orange box days when you could start in offline mode, edit the registry key entry listing your region and "go online" (the key seemed to be only set/reset on startup).

Did they block all that? (Probably a long time ago...)

While I do wish the game had a few more puzzles and they were a bit harder – I love what they were going for and how the puzzles ‘make sense.’ It’s no longer just about pushing blocks and activating switches.

It’s all about manipulating your surroundings whether it’s from fire to weight. They seem like real puzzles you would come across and not just a puzzle for the sake of being a puzzle. More games need to do this.

Oh.... my....

Eh, I'm always up for something different! But that seems like an odd choice.

Once you realize just how good the game is you won't care if she can't swim/dive.

It’s all about manipulating your surroundings whether it’s from fire to weight. They seem like real puzzles you would come across and not just a puzzle for the sake of being a puzzle. More games need to do this.

I agree fully. Though I still wish there was just a few more. You get some good ones near the end. Here's hoping the sequel, though sadly will be a couple years no doubt. Games of this quality take time.

hlhbk

It won't effect you if you already bought the game and VPN to unlock early. Only if you VPN and buy at a cheaper price than what your region sells it at. Gaben wouldn't do that to you.

Dude are you not reading what I am writing? 3 PEOPLE I PERSONALLY KNOW HAVE GOTTEN THEIR STEAM ACCOUNTS PERMA BANNED FOR UNLOCKING GAMES EARLY ON STEAM! They never bought anything from another region!

DO NOT take this guys advice, and if you do he is to blame when you get banned!

Dude are you not reading what I am writing? 3 PEOPLE I PERSONALLY KNOW HAVE GOTTEN THEIR STEAM ACCOUNTS PERMA BANNED FOR UNLOCKING GAMES EARLY ON STEAM! They never bought anything from another region!

1. That's weird, because I know lots of people who VPN unlock. I've never done it myself because I'm paranoid like that, but hey.

2. ...no, pretty sure everyone is to blame for their own actions with things like these.

Got a copy from work a couple days early and have been playing through it with a little bit of MGR peppered in. I think I'm almost done with the story now, or at least a good chunk of the way in. I'm actually really enjoying it...

I'm going to be honest, I went into this game expecting to hate it. I played it at Eurogamer Expo and absolutely loathed it. I hated Lara's whiney voice and how she was constantly talking and/or moaning. I hated how many quick time events there (apparently) were. I hated how rigidly scripted everything was.

God damn I was so wrong.
The gameplay is smooth as butter and Lara handles like a dream.
She has a great character arc and seeing her grow from what she's had to go through is pretty great. Sure there's a bit of talking to herself, but it's kind of endearing actually - it's definitely not as bad as the initial demo made me think.
The quick time events seemed to mostly disappear after the start of the game and are used very sparingly now.
The set pieces are great and rival it's direct competitor, Uncharted. It rivals Uncharted in a multitude of areas really, and surpasses it in a lot of them.
The pacing is spot on and although it is linear for the most part, you have a lot of freedom to explore the huge environments and there's a great sense of adventure and the optional tomb side missions are a lot of fun too.
The sense of progression is fantastic, from upgrading weapons that visually change as you build upon them, to how Lara grows as a character and becomes visibly more and more battered and worn as she goes through the story.

Ugh, there's so much great about this game and I really thought I'd hate it. So great. A complete surprise hit.

Once you realize just how good the game is you won't care if she can't swim/dive.

That gymnast athleticism was one of the few non-verbal idiosyncrasies that gave her some character though. I actually really do miss that. Even as a novice explorer, should can go take some diving and bar flippy classes. STOP BEING LAZY NEW DANTE LARA.

I'm telling you, that I've done it for quite a while, as well as a ton of GAF even in this thread with absolutely no problems. Your friends chose to not disclose why they were banned and wanted to play the victims. Granted that is making an assumption, but I'm telling you, you are wrong.

hlhbk

I'm telling you, that I've done it for quite a while, as well as a ton of GAF even in this thread with absolutely no problems. Your friends chose to not disclose why they were banned and wanted to play the victims. Granted that is making an assumption, but I'm telling you, you are wrong.

Whatever makes you feel better and convince yourself that your safe.

EDIT:

Also how can you even begin to make that accusation? I know for a fact THEY DID NOT PURCHASE ANYTHING ON THE VPN.

JaseC

I find this hard to believe considering it's literally the one example of innocent VPN usage resulting in account "bans".

Whatever makes you feel better and convince yourself that your safe.
Relax man. It's all good. I'm not trying to piss you off. No need to be condescending and dismissive. What happened with your buddies? I've never heard of anyone ever running into issues with an early unlock-only VPN. I'm curious now.
I find this hard to believe considering it's literally the one example of innocent VPN usage resulting in account "bans".
It'd be the first example I've heard. I'm interested to know the details now.

JaseC

http://www.vpnsecure.me

2 day trial available for $2. This is the service I used for the Skyrim release. Seems like the cheapest option.

Nice find.

It'd be the first example I've heard. I'm interested to know the details now.

I don't discount the idea that, as per the language of the SSA, it's possible, which is why I always make a point to mention as much when advocating the use of a VPN, but, yeah, every related account restriction story I've come across begins as "I didn't do anything wrong!" and ends with "Well, I did try to buy something..."

Edit: And these days (as in for over a year now), when Valve no longer bans accounts but restricts them, I'd wager that the punishment would be identical to that applied when you initiate a chargeback: you lose the games and no purchasing, key activating, gifting/trading or Steam Community access for nine weeks.

Top Bottom