• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

hlhbk

Relax man. It's all good. I'm not trying to piss you off. No need to be condescending and dismissive. What happened with your buddies? I've never heard of anyone ever running into issues with an early unlock-only VPN. I'm curious now.

It'd be the first example I've heard. I'm interested to know the details now.

It was with different games but here it goes:

First guy unlocked his game 12 hours early when it released. They had preordered the game months before hand, had a US account. They used a VPN, unlocked the game, went offline until the release date and time had passed. Everything was fine for a about a week, and then one day he couldn't log in. He contacted Steam support and was informed of the ban. This happened almost a year ago.

Second and third guy's game was released early last year and essentially followed the path above and had the same thing happen. It was around this time I looked on the Steam forums and they were not the only ones banned around that time.

Got a copy from work a couple days early and have been playing through it with a little bit of MGR peppered in. I think I'm almost done with the story now, or at least a good chunk of the way in. I'm actually really enjoying it...

I'm going to be honest, I went into this game expecting to hate it. I played it at Eurogamer Expo and absolutely loathed it. I hated Lara's whiney voice and how she was constantly talking and/or moaning. I hated how many quick time events there (apparently) were. I hated how rigidly scripted everything was.

God damn I was so wrong.
The gameplay is smooth as butter and Lara handles like a dream.
She has a great character arc and seeing her grow from what she's had to go through is pretty great. Sure there's a bit of talking to herself, but it's kind of endearing actually - it's definitely not as bad as the initial demo made me think.
The quick time events seemed to mostly disappear after the start of the game and are used very sparingly now.
The set pieces are great and rival it's direct competitor, Uncharted. It rivals Uncharted in a multitude of areas really, and surpasses it in a lot of them.
The pacing is spot on and although it is linear for the most part, you have a lot of freedom to explore the huge environments and there's a great sense of adventure and the optional tomb side missions are a lot of fun too.
The sense of progression is fantastic, from upgrading weapons that visually change as you build upon them, to how Lara grows as a character and becomes visibly more and more battered and worn as she goes through the story.

Ugh, there's so much great about this game and I really thought I'd hate it. So great. A complete surprise hit.

GutVkb9.gif

It was with different games but here it goes:

First guy unlocked his game 12 hours early when it released. They had preordered the game months before hand, had a US account. They used a VPN, unlocked the game, went offline until the release date and time had passed. Everything was fine for a about a week, and then one day he couldn't log in. He contacted Steam support and was informed of the ban. This happened almost a year ago.

Second and third guy's game was released early last year and essentially followed the path above and had the same thing happen. It was around this time I looked on the Steam forums and they were not the only ones banned around that time.

What games were they unlocking?

That's crazy. I've never heard of that happening before.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Nixxes do good enough ports. Just go by the console ones if reviews mean anything to you.
Yeah i have no doubt about that, did they release any video with Lara's new hair in it?

I just wanna see the PC version in action.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Hmmm I'm connected to the Australia VPN but the Steam store page still says that it unlocks in 23 hours.

I wouldn't worry about that. Add the BioShock Infinite Season Pass to your cart and see if its price inflates to $29.99.

I can't remember the first game (I will ask and report back), but the two other guys it was Max Payne 3.

Did they purchase Max Payne 3 through Steam/a trusted retailer (e.g. GMG) or buy resold keys?

hlhbk

I wouldn't worry about that. Add the BioShock Infinite Season Pass to your cart and see if its price inflates to $29.99.

Did they purchase Max Payne 3 through Steam/a trusted retailer (e.g. GMG) or buy resold keys?

Via Steam.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Tomb Raider done. Ending is very epic.

Game is going to be a big hit... bring on the sequels!

There's a lot of different directions CD can build on what they've done here, too. Tomb Raider is a BIG game that does a lot, but there's a lot left out, too: not that many weapons, melee system isn't much, they could bring back Croft manor, fully develop hunting/foraging, etc etc. It's easy to envision what a rebooted TR2/TR3 could look like, based on this very solid, very polished, very fun foundation.

JaseC

Am I misunderstanding that competition or was Hyper's big prize really your own arcade machine... for a month?

I'm going to miss the swan dive, no matter how good this might potentially end up.

I hope they bring back swan dive and somersaults in the sequel. It makes sense that she isn't as acrobatic in this game, but yeah.

I really can't wait to see where they take the series from here.

Via Steam.
Man, that's news to me then. There's got to be more to it than that though. I'm not saying your lying, but something fishy must have happened.
So over at my tumblr, Old Game Mags, I'm doing a week of old game mag covers and articles about Tomb Raider!

Some of the latest ones:

And more to come!

K, found a new tumblr to add to favorites. I remember an old Official PS magazine that had a big breasted Lara Croft on the cover. I miss that magazine....

edit: Holy Shit, I had that issue of Gamepro! Nostalgia is fun!

There's a lot of different directions CD can build on what they've done here, too. Tomb Raider is a BIG game that does a lot, but there's a lot left out, too: not that many weapons, melee system isn't much, they could bring back Croft manor, fully develop hunting/foraging, etc etc. It's easy to envision what a rebooted TR2/TR3 could look like, based on this very solid, very polished, very fun foundation.

Imagine if Croft Manor was like Skyfall Manor... all old and decrepit and in moody Scotland.

JaseC

Man, that's news to me then. There's got to be more to it than that though. I'm not saying your lying, but something fishy must have happened.

Yeah, not to imply he's lying through his teeth but I'm not convinced. Google isn't bringing up any similar anecdotes and SPUF's Max Payne 3 forum has less than two full pages of threads which makes it impossible to check discussions circa the game's release.

Zabojnik

Those of you that who finished the game ...
I'm stuck at Shipwreck Beach. I can't for the love of me find the last bow part that's required to cross that precipice up high and open the second tomb, etc. Any ideas? Could I fast travel to a previous half-explored location and try to find a bow part there or are all three parts on Shipwreck Beach? Halp!

hlhbk

Yeah, not to imply he's lying through his teeth but I'm not convinced. Google isn't bringing up any similar anecdotes and SPUF's Max Payne 3 forum has less than two full pages of threads which makes it impossible to check discussions circa the game's release.

Check out the Steam fourms. There are reports of the same thing happening.

Gymnastics is old hat. New Laura needs to take up Mexican Wrestling

Imagine Laura moonsaulting off a cliff face into a crowd of unsuspecting natives/rapists

tumblr_mef8qb5Dot1r9ebn9.gif

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Those of you that who the game ...
I'm stuck at Shipwreck Beach. I can't for the love of me find the last bow part that's required to cross that precipice up high and open the second tomb, etc. Any ideas? Could I fast travel to a previous half-explored location and try to find a bow part there? Halp!

Dunno what you're talking about. Weapon parts / upgrades don't work that way. The parts you find in crates are random, and completing a set just unlocks combat upgrades for that weapon.

All the traversal upgrades are unlocked as part of the story.

I already don't remember this specific section even though I just did it today (lols), but what I think is
Jonah gives you a compound bow. You can use this to attach bow lines to some cliff faces - the same ones you can climb with your climbing axe. Just stand next to a post, and fire a rope that section of the cliff.

If that's not it, don't run around looking for parts. That's a goose chase.

Yeah, I just looked myself. Google nor SPUF searches show anything related to VPN banning for early unlocks. There was a discussion about people whom bought the RU version and wanting to play it in English. So there's that. I dunno, either way I'm not worried.

edit:
Great review, dude.

Who's the girl? Can you introduce me?

Well that's my girl friend :D but thank you! :D

You didn't answer his question. :p

oprah-o.gif

JaseC

VPN working yet or no?

The game doesn't unlock here for another six hours if that's what you're asking. If you're wondering if the two suggested VPN methods work with Steam, TheExodu5 hasn't reported back but Krappadizzle could log into Raitosaito's service and try the same test.

The game doesn't unlock here for another six hours if that's what you're asking. If you're wondering if the two suggested VPN methods work with Steam, TheExodu5 hasn't reported back but Krippadizzle could log into Raitosaito's service and try the same test.

Hell, I didn't use Raitosaito's offer as the website that he directed me to was going unusually slow for me. So I just downloaded vpnsecure. I'll test it now.

Hell, I didn't use Raitosaito's offer as the website that he directed me to was going unusually slow for me. So I just downloaded vpnsecure. I'll test it now.

Use it :/
I uploaded the file directly for you via google drive in my replied PM.
I'm guessing their servers are bog down due to Tomb Raider actually.

I can't fucking believe I'm going to buy a Tomb Raider game. I've always hated the franchise with a passion, but watched the trailer for this, as well as impressions, and it looks damn good. Doesn't hurt that it reminds me of Uncharted, which I loved.

Toa TAK

Banned
I can't fucking believe I'm going to buy a Tomb Raider game. I've always hated the franchise with a passion, but watched the trailer for this, as well as impressions, and it looks damn good. Doesn't hurt that it reminds me of Uncharted, which I loved.

Wait--did you not play Legends at least?

TheExodu5

Banned

Doesn't look like it. Lists as $19.99 still. Very odd, as services online do report me as being in Australia, and I do distinctly recall using this VPN in the past.

JambiBum

Bah humbug. Guess I'll just go to bed for now and unlock it in the morning.

Raito if you could pm me the vpn stuff I'd appreciate it.

JaseC

Doesn't look like it. Lists as $19.99 still. Very odd, as services online do report me as being in Australia, and I do distinctly recall using this VPN in the past.

Hmm, I assume that means it's not working, then. I ran that little test myself prior to posting using Spotflux and although I was getting the Aussie storefront the price reduced to $19.99 when added to my cart, so logically the opposite should happen if Steam's backend considers you to be in Australia.

Use it :/
I uploaded the file directly for you via google drive in my replied PM.
I'm guessing their servers are bog down due to Tomb Raider actually.

Yeah, I'll give it another shot. Thanks for the google drive d/l.

Using VPNsecure, it made no difference for me, still showed 22 hours. I ensured that I was on AUS ip as well. Dunno why it's giving me issues. Hopefully Raitosaito's VPN will work for me.

JaseC

Using VPNsecure, it made no difference for me, still showed 22 hours. I ensured that I was on AUS ip as well. Dunno why it's giving me issues. Hopefully Raitosaito's VPN will work for me.

The storefront won't change when using a VPN, which is why you need to add an Aussie Taxed item to your cart.

Top Bottom