• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

L.O.R.D

i just try it now on PC
there is update right now
m5zn_10b30d7e9816ece.jpg

Lucifon

What VPN's do you guys use? Paid or free? I've had great success with Spotflux but obviously in this case being in the UK you US folk will actually have the game unlocked later than us (a real rarity).

Nemesis_

Very solid write-up, Nemesis_. Cheers! For all my grievances aired, I actually largely agree with you, too.

In particular - having now had some time to reflect - I can definitely agree on the gunplay being pretty fantastic (the bow especially) and the melee combat paling in comparison. The latter was just a bit sloppy, revolving too much around spamming 'B'/'O' and waiting for that counter, rather than some sort of organic flow of attack and defense.

Yeah. I honestly tried to be as balanced as possible. I know people knew how much I was gushing about the game early on and shooting down haters but I do genuinely believe it's a fun game.

I tried to cover everything that came to mind while I was playing. Pacing issue were especially highlighted when I did a second speed run to grab a remaining achievement. The area I mentioned in my write-up is a really bad offender.

But yeah, glad you liked my write up. I honestly didn't intend for it to blow up so much :p I was expecting a three paragraph piece at most :p

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Yeah. I honestly tried to be as balanced as possible. I know people knew how much I was gushing about the game early on and shooting down haters but I do genuinely believe it's a fun game.

I tried to cover everything that came to mind while I was playing. Pacing issue were especially highlighted when I did a second speed run to grab a remaining achievement. The area I mentioned in my write-up is a really bad offender.

But yeah, glad you liked my write up. I honestly didn't intend for it to blow up so much :p I was expecting a three paragraph piece at most :p

So now that you 100%ed it, there's nothing but mp, right? And 100% was just for trophs, nothing at all in terms of cheats, costumes, even concept art?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
What VPN's do you guys use? Paid or free? I've had great success with Spotflux but obviously in this case being in the UK you US folk will actually have the game unlocked later than us (a real rarity).

I use Spotflux as far as needing a US IP is concerned. TunnelBear works fine for accessing UK sites although it stopped working with Steam quite some time ago. As far as other locations are concerned, the one example that comes to mind is that I needed to download a clip from RTE.ie but it was locked to Irish IP addresses, so I signed up to Overplay, which did just the trick.

Nemesis_

So now that you 100%ed it, there's nothing but mp, right? And 100% was just for trophs, nothing at all in terms of cheats, costumes, even concept art?

Mmhmm. I will double check, but there are no cheats or costume unlocked.

Fairly certain I was unlocking concept art and models throughout though.

I'm playing MP right now. A fucking mess.

Lucifon

I use Spotflux as far as needing a US IP is concerned. TunnelBear works fine for accessing UK sites although it stopped working with Steam quite some time ago. As far as other locations are concerned, the one example that comes to mind is that I needed to download a clip from RTE.ie but it was locked to Irish IP addresses, so I signed up to Overplay, which did just the trick.

Any free ones for us folk wanting to unlock the game today?

Why would you want to use a VPN? Isn't the game unlocking everywhere at the same time?

No, not as far as I'm aware. Here in the UK "This game will unlock in approximately 11 hours"

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Mmhmm. I will double check, but there are no cheats or costume unlocked.

Fairly certain I was unlocking concept art and models throughout though.

I'm playing MP right now. A fucking mess.

Gonna have to expand on why it's a mess. Sucks about zero replayabillity though.

Phinor

Just quit Brutal Legend and got a Steam popup saying Tomb Raider now available. Well obviously it's not available here (Europe), 11 more hours to go.

Nemesis_

Gonna have to expand on why it's a mess. Sucks about zero replayabillity though.

Yeah.

There are videos (includes trailers and FINAL HOURS episodes), concept art and model viewers.

The multiplayer is a good IDEA but the performance is shit. I will play a few more rounds and then post impressions, I might've had a shit host.

I'm an expert

how bad are the multiplayer achievements?

Other than the grind to max level, the actual contents of the achievements don't look too bad. Def won't be giant parties of 5 boosting like in AC:B. And apparently you can grind exp solo using ai bots.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I noticed in Nemesis' review and a few others try to parallel Lara Croft with Jason Brody from Far Cry 3, but the comparisons I read miss the mark because Brody pretty much becomes a remorseless killer, his friends don't want to be around him and his sanity starts to slip a bit. He equates killing with winning, success. At the end of the game he laments thats he's killed so many people thats he's pretty much broken beyond repair. Its too bad they fucked up the Citra ending, because done right, that could have left an impression.

In any event, from what I've read, I haven't seen that with Lara so much.

I'm an expert

Not getting why everyone is hyped for the hair in the pc version, the textures look pretty bad in those shots, like they're just big rectangles of brown. It's the movement that's supposed to be impressive?

As expected, it's a resource hog. The bit where Laura is going through the submerged area with the torch; the game practically froze as the camera passed by her head.

Doesn't look that good anyway

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
No 60fps on my GTX 670 :(

Might have to lock it to 30

Screens incoming

Yeah, performance seems a little spotty here and there. There are dips to 30fps at the beginning of the game and not a digit lower (670 here, too).

Nemesis_

I noticed in Nemesis' review and a few others try to parallel Lara Croft with Jason Brody from Far Cry 3, but the comparisons I read miss the mark because Brody pretty much becomes a remorseless killer, his friends don't want to be around him and his sanity starts to slip a bit. He equates killing with winning, success. At the end of the game he laments thats he's killed so many people thats he's pretty much broken beyond repair. Its too bad they fucked up the Citra ending, because done right, that could have left an impression.

In any event, from what I've read, I haven't seen that with Lara so much.

I guess the comparison was made, yes, but it was more superficial in that you have a character that is attempting to go from one end of the spectrum to the other.

Your observations / critique are for the most part, correct and you put it into words better than I (evidently) did.

DukeBobby

As expected, it's a resource hog. The bit where Laura is going through the submerged area with the torch; the game practically froze as the camera passed by her head.

That's disappointing. Looks like it isn't worth the trouble.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.

Never ever call her "Laura" again please.

Top Bottom