• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

sleepykyo

I love both young girls and ultra violence, I dont see the issue here, this is a video game.

and lara croft had one of the worst character designs in video game history. if you ever needed an example to show what en immature medium video games were you just had to point at big titted ridicoulusly dressed lara croft. I am amazed how many people jump out and actually defend that.

not saying killing hundreds of people brutally is in any way mature, but hell that relaunch was desperately needed.

Is 2013 Lara that different from Underworld Lara in terms of proportions? And I thought the whole white hair in DMC was bad, but at least that was a straw man using recent data.

Derrick01

Banned
so is this game actuallly good or are our previous critisims still totally valid and its just video game journalists noticing negatives but not actually deducting from overall review scores?

I don't know if it's actually good, but I do know the latter is definitely true. I know a lot of people didn't bother looking at reviews past "omg 8s and 9s eat crow haters" but I actually read most of the bigger reviews and they all mentioned most of the complaints people had but still gave it those scores.

I understand the notion of the sum is better than its parts, but when the "parts" being mentioned is most of the actual gameplay then I start having a problem.

Chinner

Banned
do we know the plot? i want to see laras story arc, she must go mental if shes executing enemies like in that shotgun gif.

iNvid02

i cant hold all this love guys

WhatMakesTombRaider1.jpg

My worries about the game's writing aside, I think the general design and premise of this reboot are great. I've loved the Lara redesign ever since the GI cover a couple of years ago.

SmithnCo

Anyone played MP yet? I'm itching for a decent MP mode and this looks like it could be good.

Also wish it'd be digital on PSN for that 10 bucks promotion.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I expect it to have many of the same gameplay problems. Lots of useless side stuff, broken RPG elements, and a laughably bad story. That's not gameplay I know, but I still expect it to suck.

Well, I now know which game not to add to my backlog. Dammit, Ubisoft.

Audίoboxer;48454766 said:
Awesome!

I enjoy gratuitous violence in my games, and I'm not ashamed to admit it. If a game has you killing other humans, it's only 'normal' there will be lots of bloods and guts. I do think it can be out of place, sometimes it is simply for comical effect, and a lot of the time it's taken far too seriously I assume due to the media constantly going after games.

Plus after finally seeing Django last night, I'm on a hunt for gore.

Dude, Im even mad cause the head stays intact, I wanted for it to explode in gibs and blood spraying like in Kill Bill or something.

:mad:

Okay... I'll just walk out of this thread very, very slowly...

And suggest you guys play Spec Ops.

so is this game actuallly good or are our previous critisims still totally valid and its just video game journalists noticing negatives but not actually deducting from overall review scores?

pretty much this.

Well shit. I can only hope that Crystal Dynamics are taking notes about the criticisms of the game and actually do something about it for the next one. If it's successful that's it. Although I don't think it won't be one, it has had quite the media exposure. Anyway, during the Last Hours of Tomb Raider: The Beginning of the End (Part 1), the devs said they were ready to take notes from criticism, so I hope that the next one will be quite a better experience.

do we know the plot? i want to see laras story arc, she must go mental if shes executing enemies like in that shotgun gif.

Reviews are basically saying there's a disconnect between what she's going through and how she feels in cutscenes and the brutality she unleashes in the actual gameplay.

There are those stories of people who could still walk a few steps after having their heads chopped off. Like I've said in another TR thread I don't think it's that unrealistic. The signal from her brain to her body telling it to try and get away got sent before the spike pushed through it. So it's already out of the brain and on its way through her neural pathways and can reach the body and make it move for a few more seconds.

With the force of that much water around her, she should probably really go all the way to the base of the spear, at which point I would imagine her skull would pry open like a coconut. If something did stop her like this, she wouldn't be grabbing at herself like that unless the object completely missed her brain. If it didn't, the most she would do is probably twitch from a seizure before the body went into shock and, depending on whether the brain stem was destroyed or not, she'd either bleed to death or cease breathing.

We're like seriously giving this way too much thought.

Moff

Is 2013 Lara that different from Underworld Lara in terms of proportions?
its not just the proportions, no one is afraid of big breasts. its the whole image of the character design, and that involves a multitude of outfits as well. old lara needs to be gone, she is a relic of the puberty of video gaming, something akwkard you look back at and just wonder how you could ever like that.

Alfredo

After watching Game Informer's "Test Chamber" (Quick Look) of the game, it looks pretty darn cool. I'll probably pick it up if I can't rent it.

Of course, after all the DmC stuff, I will accept reasonable dissenting opinions from OG Tomb Raider fans. I've never played a Tomb Raider game in my life (though, now that I think about it, I might have played the demo for that XBLA game).

Fracas

#fuckonami
My favorite thing about this game from what I've seen in previews has to be the atmosphere. The environments look absolutely perfect.

Andrew.

Banned
I'm liking the little things like the small sparks that occasionally emit from the rocks from using axe on them to climb.

The environments look beautiful.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I don't know if it's actually good, but I do know the latter is definitely true. I know a lot of people didn't bother looking at reviews past "omg 8s and 9s eat crow haters" but I actually read most of the bigger reviews and they all mentioned most of the complaints people had but still gave it those scores.

I understand the notion of the sum is better than its parts, but when the "parts" being mentioned is most of the actual gameplay then I start having a problem.

Yeah, it's weird, like the Eurogamer reviewe, where reviewer tells us us about many of the shortcomings and wrong things with the game,I mean it was mostly about the problems with very few positive things,yet in the end he gave it 8/10. pretty funny.

Lime

My worries about the game's writing aside, I think the general design and premise of this reboot are great. I've loved the Lara redesign ever since the GI cover a couple of years ago.

I also really liked the concept art during the reveal and re-imagining. It's a major, major improvement, no doubt.

But considering the context of a cold island, I would prefer it if she would put some clothes on when it rains and it is cold. It makes the top come across as needlessly pandering (and motivating stupid comments like "I wish she would remove the top when it rains so she only wears the *white* top", cf. the Gamespot ambassador preview).

In what sense, beauty?

No. I think that her costume design is a great reinterpretation of the classic Lara's color palette (gray swimsuit top thing replaced with cami and tank top, brown daisy dukes replaced with brown cargo pants).The fact that she actually looks dirty and disheveled is cool too. She actually looks like someone who's stuck in the wilderness.

New Lara is obviously still a very attractive character, but that's not why her design is good.

I also really liked the concept art during the reveal and re-imagining. But considering the context of a cold island, I would prefer it if she would put some clothes on when it rains and it is cold. It makes the top come across as needlessly pandering (and motivating stupid comments like "I wish she would remove the top when it rains so she only wears the *white* top", cf. the Gamespot ambassador preview).

Yeah, the island does look a bit cold for just a tank top/camisole, but I'm willing to let that slide to allow the design to evoke the old-school gray-and-brown color scheme. Maybe she'll steal a jacket at some point? :p

Astral

I had the same reaction Conan had to that brutal death. I wasn't expecting that at all. This game is now on my radar.

Think I'll go with the Microsoft Store version that comes with 20 dollars in MSP.

Yeah, it's weird, like the Eurogamer reviewe, where reviewer tells us us about many of the shortcomings and wrong things with the game,I mean it was mostly about the problems with very few positive things,yet in the end he gave it 8/10. pretty funny.

Yeah, it's almost as if he/she loved the game despite some flaws.

Chinner

Banned
i do find it a little depressing that people find the pointless excessive violence as something that attracts them to the game.

at least it meant something in spec ops.

RagnarokX

My favorite thing about this game from what I've seen in previews has to be the atmosphere. The environments look absolutely perfect.

I agree that the environment and atmosphere look great. It's really disappointing that they don't do more with it. There should be a lot more puzzles and figuring out how to proceed.

sublimit

Banned

EDGE was the worst offender of this practice for me because they pretty much confirmed all my fears about the game and still and gave it an 8.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
So I see that on PC front Square-Enix is doing the same as Sleeping Dogs,with download only on PC in US but a boxed PC version for Europe.

Do you guys thing we will see the same thing again where the game (like Sleeping Dogs) sell poorly on the US but very good on europe?

EDGE was the worst offender of this practice for me because they pretty much confirmed all my fears about the game and still and gave it an 8.

yeah,I really don't get this, reviews read like below average game but gets 8 and 9.

oh. Taku Sakaguchi ,i love him.

Kinyou

So I see that on PC front Square-Enix is doing the same as Sleeping Dogs,with download only on PC in US but a boxed PC version for Europe.

Do you guys thing we will see the same thing again where the game (like Sleeping Dogs) sell poorly on the US but very good on europe?
Let's be honest. How well the PC version sells will depend on the quality of the nude patches

just kidding ;)

RagnarokX

Eurogamer keeps going on and on about how old Lara is dead and how good that is without explaining what was bad about old Lara or how this new game is an improvement; other than to say that they made the majority of the puzzles optional so that the modern gamer doesn't have to spend much time figuring things out, even though survival instinct completely spoils solutions and the puzzles aren't very hard even without it.

fuenf

If anyone is interested the preorder bonuses are 91MB (Explorer Pack) and 946KB (Combat Strike Pack) large. I didnt preorder the game, the codes came with my standard PS3 PEGI version.

Eidos have done a horrible job in promoting this game, especially after the rape mishap....

but I still have faith the story and world will deliver. I like Rhianna Pratchett, Heavenly Sword's story was fantastic.

Lime

Yeah, the island does look a bit cold for just a tank top/camisole, but I'm willing to let that slide to allow the design to evoke the old-school gray-and-brown color scheme. Maybe she'll steal a jacket at some point? :p

Nope, that's pre-order DLC :p

Tomb-Raider-Pre-Order-Bonus-Best-Buy-570x320.jpg

Good ol' big-budget gaming

sleepykyo

Just curious: Which fiction was that?

Nothing fancy. Fate/Zero anime

Aoi confronts Kariya and asks he ever loved anyone. Kariya snaps and strangles Aoi in a fit of rage. Shortly later, his body gives out while he has a delusion where he lives happily ever after with Aoi and her children.

Top Bottom