• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

With

with_tressfxg5kbf.gif

Without

without_tressfxpxke9.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just tried it. TressFX looks awful. Glitchy as hell and looks weirdly highlighted against the environment, like it's not properly lit. The tech idea looks like it has a lot of potential but the implementation here is not very convincing.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Just tried it. TressFX looks awful. Glitchy as hell and looks weirdly highlighted against the environment, like it's not properly lit. The tech idea looks like it has a lot of potential but the implementation here is not very convincing.
Guess that's the reason why they've never released a video for that.

Five bucks says it does not take on world lighting but is like phong lit just from generic light. Kinda like the lighting on characters in Gears 1.

Truant

Normal hair looks better to me as well. Running with everything on max except tesselation which sucks a lot of frames. FXAA looks pretty good as well, and worth the 10-15fps gain.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I guess the comparison was made, yes, but it was more superficial in that you have a character that is attempting to go from one end of the spectrum to the other.

Your observations / critique are for the most part, correct and you put it into words better than I (evidently) did.

Far Cry 3 is also long as hell and you can play a good bit of it before that stuff starts to show. That thing about killing = winning
is an optional conversation you can have with one of his friends while she's working on the boat, so its easy to miss

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
So is Alice Madness Returns still the champ?

I only dicked around during the intro but yes, significantly, if just because it's very consistent. Like the above poster noted during the introduction sequence where Lara is upside down her ponytail hangs but her fringe does not.

Five bucks says it does not take on world lighting but is like phong lit just from generic light. Kinda like the lighting on characters in Gears 1.

That's what it looks like, yes. I can imagine it's very difficult getting a lighting model working correctly with a complex hair shader, which is why I think it has a lot of potential, but it doesn't look so hot here.

Andrew.

Banned

pre order cancelled

dEvAnGeL

is the game optimized? or does it run like say assassins creed 3? like shit?

Derrick01

Banned
Not getting why everyone is hyped for the hair in the pc version, the textures look pretty bad in those shots, like they're just big rectangles of brown. It's the movement that's supposed to be impressive?

I agree which is weird because I remember seeing this was supposed to have something like 16x better textures. Sucks to hear that the hair stuff isn't very good either.

EatChildren

I recorded thirty seconds of TressFX, from the intro hanging part.

is the game optimized? or does it run like say assassins creed 3? like shit?

No idea really. Need to sink some time into and tweak. I'm not going to play any more because my GTX 670 arrives tomorrow and I'd rather start with a clean slate.

Got SimCity to play tomorrow so if I am going to get any time into this it'll have to be today. So is it possible to unlock the game using a free vpn? Or I have a friend in Australia, can I give him my account and have him unlock it somehow? Haven't ever bothered with VPN unlocking before.

Also/Edit: Given the Fx hair supposed to have so many individual strands, does water stay in the hair or does blood cake in it when splattered?

Lime

TressFX looks kind of rough imo. And the bit where Lara was hanging. Her fringe was impervious to the effects of gravity. Not cool AMD

The "normal" fringe hair suffers from the same problem of defying the laws of gravity in that particular part. At least from what we've seen in every video of that scene.

EatChildren

I'm probably going to play through with TressFX on, just to see how the technology works throughout.

dEvAnGeL

can people thats playing the game post their pc setup, game config and please let us know how it runs, just to have an idea, i really hope my GTX580 can handle this game o_O..

Top Bottom