• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

Terra_Ex

So how is the 360 version ? Good graphics for console ? Performance ?

Very good on both fronts, borrowed and completed a friends copy over the weekend and was quite impressed throughout.

As for my thoughts on the game, I will probably get the PC version in a steam sale down the line somewhere as its too short for me to justify a full price purchase but this is a good enough game to be part of my library I think. It's reminiscent of the Hitman Absolution situation for me what with the traditional setup is being pushed aside in favour of "telling a story" (except TR plays far better than Absolution)- they've made a solid base to build off in the future but its also sufficiently different that it may not be to the tastes of the older fanbase. Definitely missed swimming personally (underlined by Lara's hilarious instant death sequences whenever she drops into the sea) but if they add in some of the old series complexities I can definitely see this working moving forwards and I dislike reboots on general principle.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
When the camera reorientates itself (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhZ9buNW8uc) you can see what I mean about the lighting on the ponytail. Looks off, like (as another user said) it's lit by a phong shader and not really responsive to the game world's lighting.

I think it's fixable though. The effect is neat, it just needs to be tweaked.

Kiyo

I'm only streaming on high with tressfx and a few other things turned up to ultra. Game seems to run well though, even while streaming.

edit: the stream is mine, streaming on 2500k @ 4.5ghz and 7970

L.O.R.D

without
m5zn_6e741bb94eb7150.jpg

with
m5zn_b9388d5f23dfc51.jpg

If I use an Australian VPN what needs to be done during that process? Do I just click on the install and then log out and install back on my normal IP or do I need to actually buy it there? The screenshot the L.O.R.D. posted looks quite nice in terms of the hair, strands!

Derrick01

Banned
So this shit is basically a ponytail simulator then? In that case Witcher 2 unintentionally beat them to the punch with the hair effects.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Watched the stream for 10 seconds, the game gives FC3 a run for its shitty pop-ups. Can they be disabled?

+10xp
+20xp!
Achievement progress 20/40 monkeys slain!!
Map updated!
*select symbol* press this button for the map!
+10xp...

Lime

If I use an Australian VPN what needs to be done during that process? Do I just click on the install and then log out and install back on my normal IP or do I need to actually buy it there? The screenshot the L.O.R.D. posted looks quite nice in terms of the hair, strands!

1. Close Steam
  2. Log onto theVPN service and get the Australian IP
  3. Check your IP address to make sure that your IP has changed accordingly
  4. Start Steam
  5. Start Tomb Raider - it will now unlock
  6. After it has unlocked, start the game, and switch Steam to offline mode
  7. Go back to your regular IP address
  8. Make sure that next time you start Steam that you have no internet connection so that it will automatically start in offline mode. Otherwise it will revert the unlock.

Derrick01

Banned
Watched the stream for 10 seconds, the game gives FC3 a run for its shitty pop-ups. Can they be disabled?

+10xp
+20xp!
Achievement progress 20/40 monkeys slain!!
Map updated!
*select symbol* press this button for the map!
+10xp...

You can't disable modern gaming.

Can't say I'm surprised this new features performs shittily. Even now, Physx often means like a drop of up to 30fps in a lot games. It's just not worth it.

L.O.R.D

found the first glitch
the great wall of rain

m5zn_b252f059091f0ba.jpg

after you pass it

m5zn_374196b9b5be70e.jpg

the frame rate drop some times, and some times its above 80

1. Close Steam
  2. Log onto theVPN service and get the Australian IP
  3. Check your IP address to make sure that your IP has changed accordingly
  4. Start Steam
  5. Start Tomb Raider - it will now unlock
  6. After it has unlocked, start the game, and switch Steam to offline mode
  7. Go back to your regular IP address
  8. Make sure that next time you start Steam that you have no internet connection so that it will automatically start in offline mode. Otherwise it will revert the unlock.

Thanks a million mate, will try in a minute. Do wonder though, can I do the same thing but instead of using a VPN just have my friend over there unlock it with my account?

cluderi

To the "mash left and right" boss, please please please please go away and never come back. I hate you so much after 90 mins game play.

Aside from that totally dick PC port game play issue it all looks fine (not running in ultra so no hair issues)

dreamfall

I want more hair GIFs! It does seem to kill performance, judging by the PC thread. I wish this would unlock NOW so I could experiment!

DieH@rd

Banned
To the "mash left and right" boss, please please please please go away and never come back. I hate you so much after 90 mins game play.

Aside from that totally dick PC port game play issue it all looks fine (not running in ultra so no hair issues)

Game really is not QTE heavy. After an hour or two they all but disappear.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I just can't get past the terrible voice actress. She sounds even worse in gameplay clips I've seen recently. I can't imagine a whole game of it, no matter how good it gets. I can't just turn off my ears.

Top Bottom