• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

GlamFM

Banned
That actually sounds pretty good. I wasn't expecting much of a story, but for what it's worth I really enjoyed Crystal Dynamics' Tomb Raider trilogy (I think I 100% completed Legend on my shitty-ass laptop back in the day, which is saying something).

Anyway I found this multiplayer video, and honestly it doesn't look half bad. It's pretty simplistic, people spawning on different sides of a map, running their way to the middle and engaging in firefights. But what I think is promising is that it doesn't have any of that extra crap that most shooters have these days - killstreaks and minimaps and attachments upon attachments upon attachments. It's what I loved about Uncharted 2 multiplayer, so I'm not writing this mode off just yet.

It´s not that the story is bad - It´s just not told very well. Supporting cast is pretty weak unlike UC (2) where it was fantastic.

Funny thing is that about half way through TB when I thought the story was pretty much told it really kicked in and got a lot better.

Nemesis_

And I got to level 30 on multiplayer and the game wiped my progress.

iL6S4CkslUxeI.gif

CHEERS, CRYSTAL DYNAMICS.

It´s not that the story is bad - It´s just not told very well. Supporting cast is pretty weak unlike UC (2) where it was fantastic.

Funny thing is that about half way through TB when I thought the story was pretty much told it really kicked in and got a lot better.

Also make sure you look for the logs. They give a ton of nice nods to the story and add to it and the characters.

TheExodu5

Banned
And I got to level 30 on multiplayer and the game wiped my progress.

iL6S4CkslUxeI.gif

CHEERS, CRYSTAL DYNAMICS.

I'd applaud Crystal Dynamics for this. The stats should rightfull be wiped ahead of launch. People shouldn't be encouraged to acquire the game ahead of the release date to gain an edge.

antitrop

I have no problem with multiplayer being reset for street date, if that is indeed what happened.

If it's a bug, well then fuck them, obviously.

Nemesis_

I'd applaud Crystal Dynamics for this. The stats should rightfull be wiped ahead of launch. People shouldn't be encouraged to acquire the game ahead of the release date to gain an edge.

I don't think this was intentional, the game froze up and I had to do a hard reset and THEN it resetted.

I also didn't "acquire the game" after being "encouraged", the PUBLISHER decided to release it here earlier.

Hindle

Banned
Does the platforming have any actual challenge to it? Or is it all automated, if so I'll pass on this. I could have ignored all the scripted parts if they just added challenge to the gameplay.

Ok how do I get this started?? I have a premium one month account on Cyberghost VPN. Do I just connect to any country?? I don't see AUS?

Nemesis_

Is the multiplayer any good? I'm guessing you're enjoying it if you got up to level 30.

I think I am only enjoying it because I have study I should be doing. :p

I really respect the way that almost all of the feature of the actual game make it into the multiplayer - climbing and platforming and the like. There are special things added in too - you can set traps (one is erecting lightning rods so that anyone who steps near them gets electrocuted, or setting up those noose things that suspend your opponent in the air and they can take you our or shoot the lasoo down).

It's just really all over the place with performance though :/

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I think I am only enjoying it because I have study I should be doing. :p

I really respect the way that almost all of the feature of the actual game make it into the multiplayer - climbing and platforming and the like. There are special things added in too - you can set traps (one is erecting lightning rods so that anyone who steps near them gets electrocuted, or setting up those noose things that suspend your opponent in the air and they can take you our or shoot the lasoo down).

It's just really all over the place with performance though :/

You mean lag or framerate? The videos I've watched online seem pretty laggy, although that could just be due to the lack of people for good matchmaking.

That actually sounds pretty good. I wasn't expecting much of a story, but for what it's worth I really enjoyed Crystal Dynamics' Tomb Raider trilogy (I think I 100% completed Legend on my shitty-ass laptop back in the day, which is saying something).

Anyway I found this multiplayer video, and honestly it doesn't look half bad. It's pretty simplistic, people spawning on different sides of a map, running their way to the middle and engaging in firefights. But what I think is promising is that it doesn't have any of that extra crap that most shooters have these days - killstreaks and minimaps and attachments upon attachments upon attachments. It's what I loved about Uncharted 2 multiplayer, so I'm not writing this mode off just yet.

The men's (or just bad guys?) running animation is just awkward. Looks like an old man trying to run. But otherwise from what I've seen it's not bad and I agree about the simplicity. Hope they won't ruin it eventually.

Nemesis_

You mean lag or framerate? The videos I've watched online seem pretty laggy, although that could just be due to the lack of people for good matchmaking.

I don't know if it's our connections or what.

Framerate is fine - I mean latency/lag. Maybe because I'm in Australia - but then again we're one of the only countries who have been selling the game for three days. :p

With a full room of people with a decent connection, I admit this would be great fun.

Scuderia

Hmmm something strange keeps happening to me...

After about half an hour of play the GPU stops responding, the TV goes to no signal and i'm forced to do a hard reset :\

Derrick01

Banned
Not worth it,look at the other gifs people posted, it's really bad looking hair and it move just completely wrong.

Yeah it's a complete bust of a feature. I'm not sure if it's because Nixxes rushed it in since it's new, or if it's just another AMD failure.

antitrop

Where are all those WONDROUS PC screenshots coming from?
People willing to pay a few bucks to connect to a foreign VPN and unlock the game on Steam early. Or people who live in those time zones.

I don't really mind waiting 12 more hours, I got some shit to do today, anyway.

Axiom

Just played the game for about 4 hours after it unlocked tonight. Playing on PC, and a fan of the other Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games and not so much the classic Core series as I never enjoyed the controls. Still bought Tomb Raider II and explored the shit out of Lara's Mansion though. Do enjoy the Uncharted games, but never enjoyed actually fighting anyone in any of them.

I've been enjoying the game so far, though considering just looking at the multiplayer characters seems to have spoiled the appearance of people I've not met I won't be going back for a while.

Don't seem to have gotten any Steam achievements despite earning two according to Square.

Really enjoy the tombs, and I'm sad there's apparently so few.

I'm enjoying the combat more than Uncharted if just because it's not me inching slowing forward until guys spawn, I murder them, walk 2 meters, and have another set spawn. I'm not saying the combat is technically better, I can't really tell as I'm playing on a keyboard/mouse as opposed to a PS3 controller, but they are doing a better job of hiding the enemy tripwires.

It's also rewarding to clear out an area and then get to explore it, which I find a more satisfying than any 'kill', 'cutscene' or 'xp' could be.

Damn the game is pretty though, and the TressFX is just fun to see in motion.

Berto

Unlocked through VPN, first half hour impressions:

+ It's a nice looking game, nothing breathtaking but pretty
- The tresswhatever hair is bad and heavy on resources
- Fuck all the QTE shit.
- Fuck the instinct crap, I dont want to use it, I want to figure it out myself, stop remiding me of it constantly "You are dumb! Press Q"

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Yeah it's a complete bust of a feature. I'm not sure if it's because Nixxes rushed it in since it's new, or if it's just another AMD failure.

reading about the issues with the PC version,I'd say Nixxes fault ,since they were working on two game at the same time(Hitman:Abomination),they are usually the very best in porting but I guess you can't get quality and quantity together.

GlamFM

Banned
Unlocked through VPN, first half hour impressions:

+ It's a nice looking game, nothing breathtaking but pretty
- The tresswhatever hair is bad and heavy on resources
- Fuck all the QTE shit.
- Fuck the instinct crap, I dont want to use it, I want to figure it out myself, stop remiding me of it constantly "You are dumb! Press Q"

First hour or so is pretty QTE heavy - Gets a lot less afterwards.

antitrop

Sweet, ill check out some videos on lunch break. My boss was hyping this up and I thought he was trolling me but I guess people are enjoying it?
Pretty sure he wasn't trolling you, this could be one of the games of the year.

Many are already saying it is.

Top Bottom