• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The game is fantastic so far and funny enough it kinda still feel like Tomb Raider?!
Anyway whats the point of fast travel, am I suppose to be going back places?

Scuderia

If I use an Australian VPN what needs to be done during that process? Do I just click on the install and then log out and install back on my normal IP or do I need to actually buy it there? The screenshot the L.O.R.D. posted looks quite nice in terms of the hair, strands!

Know of any free Aussie VPN's?

I dont even view gaming as something that tries to reach "reality". Ergo, nothing can even reach uncanny valley. :)

It's when games try to approach reality and fail that you get the uncanny valley.

There is nothing uncanny about team fortress or final fantasy 7 , just like there isn't anything uncanny about asimo.

Its when you put latex skin on the robot and a wig or when you have bethesda or bioware try to do 'real' faces that it gets akward.

Played around an hour so far and have to echo the praises, which is surprising because I went in fairly blind and doubtful actually.

It doesn't feel like Tomb Raider of old, no, but what it does, it does very well. Story has been entertaining so far, the visuals and atmosphere are fantastic, alongside some great set pieces. The puzzles have been relatively simple so far, but they feel like they'll break up the inevitable combat very nicely, game has started off paced very well.

Nice to see it control and animate so well also :]

I've actually stopped playing it right now because I want to be able to play it for a more extensive period, but thoroughly looking forward to it.

DieH@rd

Banned
The game is fantastic so far and funny enough it kinda still feel like Tomb Raider?!
Anyway whats the point of fast travel, am I suppose to be going back places?

You will get several pieces of gear that will enable new ways of traversal and opening of secret areas. They did great job with that.

antitrop

I just woke up, what's going on in this thread?

Are the Aussie VPNs everyone was talking about last night actually working? I may pay a few bucks to play the game 14 hours early.

DieH@rd

Banned
I just woke up, what's going on in this thread?

Are the Aussie VPNs everyone was talking about last night actually working? I may pay a few bucks to play the game 14 hours early.

Somebody found 2$ VPN solution, and it works. Game looks beautiful [Nixxes am gods], but Tressfx has big preformance cost.

diamount

Banned
To those who don't want to wait to play the game. Use a VPN, www.vpngates.com offer a free 3 day trial. You just need to enter your mobile/cell number to receive a verification code. Australia option that is. Completely free and speed is pretty decent.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
This is my first time doing a retail pre-order, how will I get my pre-order from Best Buy tomorrow? Will it be a code printed on my receipt? Will it be an insert in the game case? Will I be getting an email after picking it up with a code?

Edit: Oh, and the Best Buy version comes with a comic book, so I assume it'll be packed in?

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
This is the first time I've pre-ordered a game for full retail value since RE6 (although in that case I got the Archives edition so I got digital copies of RE4/RE5/RECVX as well). I hope this game is worth it.

GlamFM

Banned
This is the first time I've pre-ordered a game for full retail value since RE6 (although in that case I got the Archives edition so I got digital copies of RE4/RE5/RECVX as well). I hope this game is worth it.

This game has turned me from someone who does not care about Tomb Raider at all to someone who cant wait for the next one.

I seriously more excited for what´s next for TR than for Uncharted 4.

Great game - huge surprise for me.

EDIT - Why the hell did you pre order RE6?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Bah wtf I should've taken this week off. I got today off to take my mom to the doctor's and I gotta go to work tomorrow. Goddamn unlock bullshit shenanigans.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
This game has turned me from someone who does not care about Tomb Raider at all to someone who cant wait for the next one.

I seriously more excited for what´s next for TR than for Uncharted 4.

Great game - huge surprise for me.

Wow that's some high praise, especially since I love Uncharted. Alrighty then, I'm really looking forward to this then.

EDIT - Why the hell did you pre order RE6?

Umm, because I really like Resident Evil? RE5 was one of my favorite games from this generation, I must have finished that game like 3-4 times across solo and co-op playthroughs.

GlamFM

Banned
Wow that's some high praise, especially since I love Uncharted. Alrighty then, I'm really looking forward to this then.

Umm, because I really like Resident Evil? RE5 was one of my favorite games from this generation, I must have finished that game like 3-4 times across solo and co-op playthroughs.

I should have taken a look at your avatar first ;)

Have a great time with TR. It´s better at being a game than UC, but it´s not as good at being a story.
For me it totally works.

Have a great time with TR. It´s better at being a game than UC, but it´s not as good at being a story.
For me it totally works.

Damn, that sounds promising actually.

My hour with it earlier definitely gave me an Uncharted vibe, albeit more gritty and with more traditional gameplay.

Reclaimer

Haven't seen any definitive 360 vs. PS3 framerate/visuals analysis... Pretty much perfect porting?

I much prefer the 360 controller for dual analog shooting, so I'll probably just go with that unless any red flags are raised.

That hair looks ridonkulous.

NotTheGuyYouKill, you are really chasing every girl you see on the screen. No matter if its a movie, tv series, or random youtube Tomb Raider review. :lol:

I can't help it. I appreciate beauty in all media. Or perhaps I'm falling further and further into episodes of delusion as I try desperately to hold onto a little piece of love and admiration that doesn't even exist.

My God.

My girl-chasing out in the real world... has not been a resounding success

Creeper gonna creep situation?

You think I'm a creep? Is this a widespread belief? I resent the implication!

Toa TAK

Banned
you will want to comb her hair...

bench3mck57.gif

That's some amazing stuff right there. Looks great.

Lime

So for the VPN unlock once its done. Should I just stay on VPN while I play or can I disconnect?

Disconnect all internet, go into offline mode in Steam, connect to your normal internet. Make sure that you don't start steam with your normal connection.

Truant

Game is pretty good so far. Reminds me a bit of RE4 in a way.

It's linear in terms of story, but the "open areas" are great. Lots of stuff to find, cool hidden puzzles, exploration is fun. Island feels appropriately creepy. First optional tomb was fun, albeit very short.

Question, do I need to eat after the first deer hunt scene? Or was that just for story purposes?

Nemesis_

Game is pretty good so far. Reminds me a bit of RE4 in a way.

It's linear in terms of story, but the "open areas" are great. Lots of stuff to find, cool hidden puzzles, exploration is fun. Island feels appropriately creepy. First optional tomb was fun, albeit very short.

Question, do I need to eat after the first deer hunt scene? Or was that just for story purposes?

Nope. You only need to hunt for XP. Later, you can buy/get a skill where Animals also award you salvage.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member

For me it totally works.

That actually sounds pretty good. I wasn't expecting much of a story, but for what it's worth I really enjoyed Crystal Dynamics' Tomb Raider trilogy (I think I 100% completed Legend on my shitty-ass laptop back in the day, which is saying something).

Anyway I found this multiplayer video, and honestly it doesn't look half bad. It's pretty simplistic, people spawning on different sides of a map, running their way to the middle and engaging in firefights. But what I think is promising is that it doesn't have any of that extra crap that most shooters have these days - killstreaks and minimaps and attachments upon attachments upon attachments. It's what I loved about Uncharted 2 multiplayer, so I'm not writing this mode off just yet.

Top Bottom