• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

TheDanger

Banned
glitch glithchy mac glitch

m5zn_e367afdd12e8d90.jpg

i actually fall to the infinity and didn't die

need patch quickly

You can't expect a pirated game to run properly :D

RagnarokX

It's OK to be excited about a game, sure. I edited my post to include people that are the opposite of Derek as well. I can't take them seriously either.

When you have as much information as this game has out, which includes full walkthroughs, the argument that you can't form an opinion without actually playing it is BS. People know what kind of games they like based on previous experience and can extrapolate based on footage. Plus, apart from Derrick, most of the negative opinions about the game isn't that it is a bad game, but that it's a bad move for the fanchise in terms of the over-emphasis on combat and scripted sequences and lack of emphasis on platforming and puzzles. Despite having seen a large chunk of the game I plan to rent it and will most likely enjoy it, but I know it should have been more than it is. Though I must say that what I saw was below my expectations; I didn't think the platforming and puzzles would be as de-emphasized as I saw.

When you have as much information as this game has out, which includes full walkthroughs, the argument that you can't form an opinion without actually playing it is BS. People know what kind of games they like based on previous experience and can extrapolate based on footage. Plus, apart from Derrik, most of the negative opinions about the game isn't that it is a bad game, but that it's a bad move for the fanchise in terms of the over-emphasis on combat and scripted sequences and lack of emphasis on platforming and puzzles. Despite having seen a large chunk of the game I plan to rent it and will most likely enjoy it, but I know it should have been more than it is.

Form an opinion all you want. Most people do. But when it verges into the territory of being invested in a game turning out poorly. Wishing it would get bad reviews. Poor sales. Then it becomes laughable. Don't like the move the franchise made? Sorry, play something else. Why shit on a game for something that it's not trying to be in it's OT? This is the Tomb Raider game they chose to make. No amount of hand-wringing is going to change that. We get it, you wanted something else. Too bad. What they gave us was this and by the sounds of it, from reviewers and gamers alike, they delivered something really special.

and you automatically thing its pirated because of the icon below ?

it look i have a real version like every one here
i also went to some site , they said the "pirated" don't have any problem

Not to mention that by virtue of being a pirated copy, it would contain the exact same content as the full release.

Meaning, you know, the same issues on both versions. Not more on one or the other.

Derrick01

Banned
Form an opinion all you want. Most people do. But when it verges into the territory of being invested in a game turning out poorly. Wishing it would get bad reviews. Poor sales. Then it becomes laughable. Don't like the move the franchise made? Sorry, play something else. Why shit on a game for something that it's not trying to be in it's OT? This is the Tomb Raider game they chose to make. No amount of hand-wringing is going to change that. We get it, you wanted something else. Too bad. What they gave us was this and by the sounds of it, from reviewers and gamers alike, they delivered something really special.

I'm not judging this game by old TR standards though. All of my complaints about this game have been solely about this game and the boring mass market choices they made to the design.

kuroshiki

FUCKING B.R.A.V.O.

So for all the talk about the PC Hair, it turned out to be pretty badly implemented?

I'm not judging this game by old TR standards though. All of my complaints about this game have been solely about this game and the boring mass market choices they made to the design.

The mass market is the target for their big budget game. One would assume they'd make design decisions that would attract their intended audience. Business.

Derrick01

Banned
The mass market is the target for their big budget game. One would assume they'd make design decisions that would attract their intended audience. Business.

That's fine, but that doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to criticize the mess of a game they produced for that simple minded audience though.

So for all the talk about the PC Hair, it turned out to be pretty badly implemented?

I called this in the original TressFX thread. First implementation of this tech in a retail product? It was destined to have issues.

Actually, it doesn't seem to have turned out as bad as I expected though. It looks a bit weird, but not terrible and a 20fps hit isn't as bad as some other effect's first implementations.

I thought it was high end, AMD cards specifically.

Are high end Nvidia users not getting the 20fps drop? Pretty sure even on my 590 I'll be playing with TressFX off. I would much rather inject AA and downsample, anyway.

Sethos said his Twin Titans handled it fine.

Twin Titans, though.

antitrop

Yep. Your out 20 or more FPS if your card isn't absolutely top-of-the-line.
I thought it was high end, AMD cards specifically.

Are high end Nvidia users not getting the 20fps drop? Pretty sure even on my 590 I'll be playing with TressFX off. I would much rather inject AA and downsample, anyway.

That's fine, but that doesn't mean that I'm not allowed to criticize the mess of a game they produced for that simple minded audience though.

Sure doesn't sound like a mess to me. In fact it sounds like it's quite a good game, and I'm really looking forward to playing it myself tomorrow.

Going to beg for the standee they have tomorrow when I pick up my copy. Gave me a poster they were going to throw away yesterday when I per-ordered, so we'll see what happens. Game Stop ain't that bad I guess.

DukeBobby

If you have such low expectations, then why buy the game in the first place?

Same goes with Bioshock Infinite. You've been talking about how bad it is going to be, yet you are paying full price for it.

Derrick01

Banned
If you have such low expectations, then why buy the game in the first place?

Same goes with Bioshock Infinite. You've been talking about how bad it is going to be, yet you are paying full price for it.

I still want to try them out but I don't have much of an option on PC other than pirating it, which I'm obviously not going to do. You're crazy if you think I'm going to subject myself to the console versions of these games, which by my standards are unplayable if they perform at the seemingly standard 20fps, sub HD resolutions that most 3rd party AAA games seem to now.

For the record I have higher hopes for Bioshock infinite since I know it's going to suck compared to SS2 already. I'm only going to compare it to the first (bad) bioshock game, which it damn well better be a better game than that.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I still want to try them out but I don't have much of an option on PC other than pirating it, which I'm obviously not going to do. You're crazy if you think I'm going to subject myself to the console versions of these games, which by my standards are unplayable if they perform at the seemingly standard 20fps, sub HD resolutions that most 3rd party AAA games seem to now.

For the record I have higher hopes for Bioshock infinite since I know it's going to suck compared to SS2 already. I'm only going to compare it to the first (bad) bioshock game, which it damn well better be a better game than that.

Why not try out games you don't have much hope for a good bit after they're released for much cheaper? That way you can also gauge any issues that others have had.

noomi

pffft, big FPS drops just for making hair all purdy like? Is that all TressFX does? if so, I can live without it.

antitrop

If Derrick likes this game tonight I'm going to bust a fucking nut.

The other nut that's not being busted from playing the game myself.

Derrick01

Banned
Why not try out games you don't have much hope for a good bit after they're released for much cheaper? That way you can also gauge any issues that others have had.

I got TR for $27 and Bioshock for $60, but more than $50 of that was with trade in credit. I'm not going to get them much cheaper than that for a long time after release lol.

Slayerx

I was so pessimistic about this game, I wanted it to fail and bite Square in the ass (selfish I know). Then I read some impressions, decided to take a leap of faith and buy it. It was so worth it. Loving this so much.

Gold_Loot

I'm hearing about this "10-XP!" "20-XP" "collect 40 more to unlock X" shit is in this game. The whole carrot on a stick thing is getting far too old. Please tell me you can disable all these messages (console).

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
I got TR for $27 and Bioshock for $60, but more than $50 of that was with trade in credit. I'm not going to get them much cheaper than that for a long time after release lol.

I mean, I don't want to tell you how to spend your cash/trade in value, but both of these games will be half price in a few months (week), and even cheaper in a year. As mainly single player experiences, you're not missing out on anything. It's the idea of being there discussing it at release that's pushing you, no?

edit: n/m though you're a primarily pc gamer so I dunno how much price fluctuates there

antitrop

In all honesty, you, I, and many others in this thread will be playing this game for cheaper tonight than many others will still be in 4 months, even.

It's the idea of being there discussing it at release that's pushing you, no?
To many, including myself, this is equally as important as the game itself. There's an unmistakable adrenaline rush to the social experience of doing so.

Derrick01

Banned
I mean, I don't want to tell you how to spend your cash/trade in value, but both of these games will be half price in a few months (week), and even cheaper in a year. As mainly single player experiences, you're not missing out on anything. It's the idea of being there discussing it at release that's pushing you, no?

I don't get the point of waiting if I can get them for the same reduced prices now.

I'm an expert

To many, including myself, this is equally as important as the game itself.

Lol..yeah..which is weird for me. I guess I kinda get it..but it certainly would not make me want to spend $60 on a day one game I know I can get for $40 in 2 weeks. For an online game I totally get the want to be there at launch, but a single player game? Especially on gaf where threads are usually always alive. But again, you spend your money/time however you like.

I don't get the point of waiting if I can get them for the same reduced prices now.

Yeah, I was lookin at it from a console perspective. If you know you're gettin good deals, great.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Really impressed so far, its still Tomb Raider at it core and I loved the
monastery
that was classic Tomb Raider
The majority of it feels like Tomb Raider, but nextgen if that makes sense?
And the combat is great, although theres not as much as people made out, its mostly looting climbing and finding stuff
People calling this a TPS are wrong, it got TPS elements in the combat but Uncharted is more combat heavy then this, Tomb Raider like its predecessors is a exploration game, but with some great set pieces and combat thrown in to spice things up
CD haven't forgot its origins in this origin story
In fact thats the biggest change here, the Story & theme are more grounded & dark
I'm at the
shanty town
at the moment not sure how far that is but I hope its only halfway cuz I don't want this to end its that good
Graphics wise this is a beautiful game, it doesn't touch Uncharted 2 or 3 though in the graphics department
But because this is openworld type its understandable, but they are close, I imagine on PC its does rivial if not better Uncharted
Btw did anyone notice the image of a temple under download coming soon?
Anyway back to the game!

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
So guys here, do you think this is going to be a big hit in sales from your impressions playing and the vibe? I reckon it will be the most successful for the first half of this year.

sleepykyo

In all honesty, you, I, and many others in this thread will be playing this game for cheaper tonight than many others will still be in 4 months, even.

Not sure about that since SquareEnix normally drops almost as quickly as Ubisoft stuff. It is mainly the CoDs and Nintendo stuff that stays high for a while.

I'm an expert

So guys here, do you think this is going to be a big hit in sales from your impressions playing and the vibe? I reckon it will be the most successful for the first half of this year.

I don't think the brand carries enough weight anymore, Bioshock will probably beat it on NPD for the month. Strong word of mouth would definitely give it a shot.

DukeBobby

It will be one of the top sellers for sure, but I think Bioshock will do better.

ref

So far I'm moderately enjoying it. The visuals for PC are quite beautiful, however I am disappointed that TressFX takes such a massive hit on framerate. As others have said, it can look pretty wonky at times, but it can also look amazing. Game runs smooth as butter maxed without it on a 670, but I think it's worth the hit to leave TressFX on.

The 'PC Features' article sold me on this, got it for $24 on GMG with discount and credit a couple days ago.

I wonder if they will release a patch or something for it, or if it's just that demanding.

Necrovex

If you chill in the buy/sell thread, I'm sure someone will sell their Bioshock Infinite code for $30-$35. The reason why I am getting both Tomb Raider and Bioshock is someone selling their AMD code for $60.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So I start OpenVPN/new zealand, then open up steam, says still "pre-load, not unlocked" - what am i doing wrong?

Top Bottom