• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

DocSeuss

The AI in uncharted is much better than Tomb Raider. It was brain dead there sure, but at least enemies occasionally took cover. Putting their hands over their eyes to hide just isn't effective in this game nor is looking at their mate with an arrow through their head and shrugging it off.

They die off...but yeah god I hate the side to side or "mash" QTEs. I don't mind a button press if they really must but having to smash a button isn't atmospheric...I know it is still a game and that game is now pissing me off.

Good to hear the QTEs die off. Finally got the
rope arrows
and I feel really awesome now. I'm loving the way this game plays, and sometimes feel like it could have done a lot more to let me spend time playing it.

That said? This is the only game I feel that has done "cinematic" really and truly well.

Regarding the AI: Uncharted's seem to have X-ray vision, always knowing where you are as soon as you engage in combat. In this, it appears you can break line of sight and lose them, which is super cool.

For $21, this was a good deal so far, but I'm almost a quarter of the way through with only 2 hours put into it, according to the percentage tracker. Kinda worrisome, that.

It didn't open up like I expected. Only seen one tomb so far. Could use a lot more puzzles.

But it's really good at what it's doing, by and large (screw the instadeath QTEs--love the "you're slipping!" ones).

So... it's like Uncharted?

Uncharted is moldy goat shit by comparison. The only place Uncharted is better is banter--Lara could use just a little bit of humor to help with the story pacing. Then again, look at how bad Uncharted is when it comes to LOL MAGICAL TWIST! at the end of the first two games. Tomb Raider's so far above Uncharted I can't even begin to express it.

Fuck... I'm so tempted to get in the car and go buy it.

Save money and gas. Pick it up at GMG with one of their vouchers. I got it for $21, but I preordered Bioshock and had the credit from that in addition to getting a 20% voucher at $44.99.

GlamFM

Banned
Finished it yesterday. Roughly 13 hours and 70 something percent completion.

Will go back now and go for 100%.

Fantastic game. Can´t wait to see what´s next for Lara.

RagnarokX

It’s amazing how different locations feel/look simply due to the different weather effects/time of day.

My mind was blown when I realized that I was back at the area where I got the medi-pack for Roth...

My mind was more blown by the fact that Roth
just happened to be standing at the exact spot you return to that location. Even more so since considering how high up that was and he needed a crutch and insisted he was in no shape to climb.

Frillen

Is the island layout and progression to access similar to Arkham Asylum or Metroid Prime?

Tomb Raider is much more linear than both of those, not necesseraly a bad thing. Most areas that you have to backtrack to because of new gear nets you most of the time goodies with either more salvage or XP.

daxter01

8/8/2010 Blackace was here
Regarding the AI: Uncharted's seem to have X-ray vision, always knowing where you are as soon as you engage in combat. In this, it appears you can break line of sight and lose them, which is super cool.
no enemies have x-ray vision here and I don't think I ve seen x-ray vision in uncharted 3 then again you are DocSeuss why I m responding to you

Shift.

Took me a while to figure it out. I'm guessing you're at
the radio tower
? That's where I first had trouble.

You can also use shift to drop down from ledges.

I will throw my two cents in:

For those wondering.
  • Shift drops(lowers) you from a ledge.
  • F initiates a stealth kill, followed by pounding away on E.
  • When aiming down sight with your weapon you can hit the Space Bar instead of the middle mouse button to do the alternate fire.

Omni

Okay. So I finished the game the other day, but I'm just going through and getting all the collectables.

Mountain Temple is separated in half by a cliff and a waterfall and there is only one camp which is situated on top - meaning that I can only fast travel to that location as you can't walk from one area to another as far as I'm aware. The problem is, I can't get down to the lower area of the map space. There's a ladder, but I can't use it. As soon as you get over the edge, you die.

Anyone know how to get down?

Thank you Crystal Dynamics for an awesome night!

kO0ALMjl.jpg

I'm also uploading a video of the dev team talking about what they did in the game. It ain't professional, but it's great to put a name and a face to something you care about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJEVXkxbtNE&feature=youtu.be

Fabrik

Banned
The sense of place in this game is so well done that I can't wait to come back to it. This game is very immersive. You are playing as a survivor, not just as an actor in a Hollywood movie.
The many death sequences remind me of Out Of This Word and I love it.

Wait, whats going on in this picture?

The dev's came out to my local Gamestop in Sunnyvale, CA. They signed games/guides and gave out lithos that they then signed as well. At first it was just a few then by the end of the night almost 20 of them were there.

Lots of insight on the development process and different iteration's of the game's mechanics and lots on the combat/weapons. And they were so humbled to share in the experience with us gamer's.

s-bojan

Banned
But yeah, taking control away from me is lame. There's a jump in the beginning that there was no reason to miss. I pressed X to pull myself up and, lo and behold, the only reason she didn't make it is because a cutscene activated that took control away. I thought I'd missed a prompt until i slid, intentionally, into a new area.

It's funny when you trigger the cutscene from the place where they did not expect you to be.
Lara gets teleported :).

The dev's came out to my local Gamestop in Sunnyvale, CA. They signed games/guides and gave out lithos that they then signed as well. At first it was just a few then by the end of the night almost 20 of them were there.

Lots of insight on the development process and different iteration's of the game's mechanics and lots on the combat/weapons. And they were so humbled to share in the experience with us gamer's.
Oh wow bet that was great. Regardless of how I see the game since I havent played it yet based off impressions in this thread they should be proud.

Rhindle

I am insane in thinking these guys may have built the best game engine in the business?

Technically everything about this game looks amazing: draw distances, foliage, lighting, textures, character models. And apparently it looks and runs great on all platforms.

I also really love the way there literally is no dividing line between in-game sequences and cinematics, to the point where you're often not sure when exactly a cinematic has ended and you're back in control or the game is awaiting user input.

RagnarokX

no enemies have x-ray vision here and I don't think I ve seen x-ray vision in uncharted 3 then again you are DocSeuss why I m responding to you

Did you mean to put a comma? As soon as the AI is alerted in this game they all instantly know where you are even if you are behind a wall.

wow (major spoilers)

I'm bracing for the inevitable disappointing U WER HALLUCINATIN LARA doubletwist, but I had the biggest fuckin' grin on my face when the Oni showed up

sleepykyo

The found footage. The unlikable side cast. The frequent need to cram Lara into the tightest spots possible. I'm amazed at how much it feels like an Afterdark/Eight Films to Die For movie.

It might be better than Uncharted. Good thing the U2 team went on the Last of Us, because Uncharted won't be a good enough murder simulator after Tomb Raider.

HiiiLife

So far.. It's enjoyable. Only put in hour in so I can't really say more than that. I will say that I enjoyed the gunplay more in Uncharted 2 though.

GorillaJu

I'm not allowed to comment on my perceived failure of the developers intent if I think it's possible I'll enjoy some of the surrounding gameplay? Is this not a place for discussion? Could there be no other way of putting obstacles in Lara's way in order to achieve their thematic goals while still ushering me forward with control of my character?

I don't get why people keep telling me not to buy a game I'm willing to try out. As if I should keep quiet because I have issues with the game just because others like it.

Umm... No of course you're allowed to, just like I'm allowed to point out what I see as logical fallacies in your argument. I never claimed that you shouldn't post or that you're breaking the rule.

DocSeuss

The hell is that supposed to mean?

I will throw my two cents in:

For those wondering.
  • Shift drops(lowers) you from a ledge.
  • F initiates a stealth kill, followed by pounding away on E.
  • When aiming down sight with your weapon you can hit the Space Bar instead of the middle mouse button to do the alternate fire.

I didn't know that last bit. Cool! Surprised it didn't bother to mention either that or the shift bit (which is vital to progressing through the game) during the game's training. When you get to the first place you'd need to drop off a rope, it's all "IUNNOLOL."

Stealth kill is fun, but I'm loving the ropes.

I wish I felt this badass in Assassin's Creed's games or Hitman: Absolution.

RagnarokX

Umm... No of course you're allowed to, just like I'm allowed to point out what I see as logical fallacies in your argument. I never claimed that you shouldn't post or that you're breaking the rule.

But you didn't point out any logical fallacies. You said it was stupid to complain about something that you already knew about before you bought the game, but buying the game doesn't make the problem go away, and the severity of the problem can go beyond expectations.

derExperte

After four hours already sick of the fighting. And
climbing the antenna
was basically 'push stick forward'. Yawn, zero sense of accomplishment. The presentation is awesome, the rest rather boring (I'm playing on hard). I feel it's a bit like Far Cry 2 where you were constantly doing minor stuff but if you broke it down not a lot of it was that much fun which is unfortunate because the framework for a great TR is definitely there, controls are wonderful for example. Oh and the terrible pop-ups...please give me an option to turn that rubbish off.

are these things still in the game?

Concept_Art_TR_003.jpg

If yes, thanks for the HUGE spoiler. If not, please still don't do this again and instead only link to the picture.

Dreamseller

Neo Member
SOLUTION FOR THE ROPE ASCENDER BUG [two spawned boxes] HAS BEEN FOUND! PRAISE THE GODS!

Try to pull one of the boxes, and the game will start it broken animation. Now, go to the floor doors, aim with your bow and start waling slowly on the small ridge of either left or right edge [where the hinges of the door should be]. If you walk just right, Lara will not drop her bow and then re-aim, but she will enter in her "unsteady falling" animation. Try to keep that animation running for 1 sec, and you will fall "through the crack".

Here is the picture I just made:

This solution worked for me too. Whoever came up with this, is indeed a gentleman and a scholar.

StuBurns

Banned
Just fired it up, very impressive visually, probably the best looking multiplatform game I've seen so far. I saw some complaining about it's graphics the other day on GAF, seems almost impossible to be disappointed seeing it in person.

The opening section is terrible, I remember when they showed it at E3 they said how much of the game was this Heavy Rain stuff, but I've forgot how much. How pervasive is that stuff?

GlamFM

Banned
Just fired it up, very impressive visually, probably the best looking multiplatform game I've seen so far. I saw some complaining about it's graphics the other day on GAF, seems almost impossible to be disappointed seeing it in person.

The opening section is terrible, I remember when they showed it at E3 they said how much of the game was this Heavy Rain stuff, but I've forgot how much. How pervasive is that stuff?

I actually liked it - however after
you leave the cave
the game opens up and the QTEs get a lot less.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Man you guys who are playing on Steam suck. I have to wait until later today to go pick it up.

On that note I've already seen a few images/gifs that are borderline spoiler-y so I'm fucking off from this thread until I have the game in my hands.

-Amon-

Wrong. You can engage a group of enemies, hide and watch them search for you starting from the location they last saw you.

The typical example is the big encounter in UC2, just after you flee from the failing train.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Wrong. You can engage a group of enemies, hide and watch them search for you starting from the location they last saw you.

The typical example is the big encounter in UC2, just after you flee from the failing train.

The AI was specific to scenario. This is very apparent if you played around with the unlockable cheat things, I played through many portions of UC2 with the silent crossbow with infinite ammo. You were clearly not meant to stealth through the majority of the game, and there were a lot of invisible line triggers that made the AI suddenly go alert and shoot right at you.

CoolS

Quick question:

The foliage on my PC keeps flickering like crazy. Anyone else got this problem?

I have a 560Ti if that helps. Maybe I should try the new Beta drivers.

meta4

Having gone through the game I can finally say that it is better than UC3 most certainly except for the characters who are downright awful. The only issue is sometimes there is a sense of been there and done that. This however is nowhere remotely close to UC2's greatness though I will not hold that against it as very few games are.

See, I kinda want to play it again before I return it (sorry, guys), but without having to restart the whole thing and become boring 'not-yet-able-to-shootbang-people-in-the-mandible' Lara...

Outside of exploring and collecting items, I can't exactly do that, can I (no enemies and shiz)?

Top Bottom