• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

katkombat

Banned
Do you not know the rules of how to do a spoiler? You dont put just a black bar. You put an aproxiamate time/percentage/completion of the game your playing and then do a spoiler so that others have a frame of reference as to what your spoiling in case they are not that far ahead.

Yup I clicked on it too... :/

Do you not know the rules of how to do a spoiler? You dont put just a black bar. You put an aproxiamate time/percentage/completion of the game your playing and then do a spoiler so that others have a frame of reference as to what your spoiling in case they are not that far ahead.

Or just don't click spoiler tags if there is potential of having it spoiled?

Nothing wrong with my spoiler. Stop blaming me for your own stupidity.

Nemesis_

I understand that some kind of completion should've been added to the spoiler, but why did you highlight it if you were weary and/or sensitive to spoilers? >_>

I understand that some kind of completion should've been added to the spoiler, but why did you highlight it if you were weary and/or sensitive to spoilers? >_>

To me spoiler tags are like:

425223_med.png

Salaadin

As an old school Tomb Raider fan, I hate this game but as a person who loves videogames, this game is freaking great.
The platforming bits feel so good and the gunplay is really fun and smooth. I only have a bow and a gun so far and I find myself preferring the bow just because I love the way it feels. Lara instantly going into cover works surprisingly well too. Its nice not having to push a button to stick to walls.

I just
raided the wolf den and helped Roth out so he gave me the climbing pick thing
so Im not too far in. If the game keeps this up though, Im going to end up really liking it...which is something I did not see happening at all.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Well I was going to Redbox this today but apparently the people who stock the boxes didn't anticipate anyone wanting to play this on PS3... as all the kiosks in my general area (10 total) only have one copy of the 360 version. As far as I can tell, there isn't a single PS3 copy in my state.

lol... oh well.

Derrick01

Banned
Looks like the game's already doing pretty well on Steam. The peak user number is already at 18,000 exactly (concurrent is too right now) and we haven't reached the point where most people are awake still. I'm assuming europe still doesn't have the game either right?

Az

Well I was going to Redbox this today but apparently the people who stock the boxes didn't anticipate anyone wanting to play this on PS3... as all the kiosks in my general area (10 total) only have one copy of the 360 version. As far as I can tell, there isn't a single PS3 copy in my state.

lol... oh well.

Yea, thats normal for redbox in regards to PS3 copies.

Basically everything they said in the review is exactly my opinion and thoughts on the game. So if you want a better understanding on why I love it so much......watch the video.

Do you empathize with Lara in the way the devs wanted you to? How do you not groan when Lara falls 10m onto solid rock which should severely damage her back or at the very least break a few ribs but then complains about the stick she took to her abdomen later on?

The game itself is definitely fun and well designed (for something like this) but man the cutscenes are grating as shit. All these crazy action set pieces and I'm supposed to feel for this poor, frail little girl. I wish I could take a hit like Lara :(

Evolved1

Yea, thats normal for redbox in regards to PS3 copies.

Hey they have the greatest hits version of RDR and GTA in there though. lol

Retarded. As much as I despise this game, it's going to sell >5 million copies... redbox people are dumb as shit.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Redbox around me always has PS3 versions, though I've never actually used it. This is a redbox kinda game isn't it..

Moff

Looks like the game's already doing pretty well on Steam. The peak user number is already at 18,000 exactly (concurrent is too right now) and we haven't reached the point where most people are awake still. I'm assuming europe still doesn't have the game either right?

game went active in europe 15 hours ago

Your crow is currently in the oven for when this sells like hotcakes.

strafer

Okay so I'm stuck lol. :p

The room when you pull a lever and there is some kind of gas and there's a dude on the other side yelling, what the fuck am I suppose to do? She says the glass is weak but shooting doesn't help.

Evolved1

Redbox around me always has PS3 versions, though I've never actually used it. This is a redbox kinda game isn't it..

idk... i try to refrain from estimating value for other people. depends if you want to support the devs.

mechanically, the game is not long so you could finish it in a rental period. and the multiplayer is lolcharted. don't suspect it has legs.

Nemesis_

Good Game (a great Australian gaming show) just uploaded their video review - they both gave it a 10, which is very rare as they’re usually pretty harsh with scores.

Basically everything they said in the review is exactly my opinion and thoughts on the game. So if you want a better understanding on why I love it so much......watch the video.

It's a shame Good Game are shit though.

ibgt0eTiFMny3W.gif

Let's be honest here. And you know I really liked it.

Okay so I'm stuck lol. :p

The room when you pull a lever and there is some kind of gas and there's a dude on the other side yelling, what the fuck am I suppose to do? She says the glass is weak but shooting doesn't help.

You should basically
leave that area, grab one of the lanterns on the ground, and throw it into the hole so it ignites the gas and makes it disappear......among other things

I have the game and it's good but what i don't like is i see all this ads and promo...(right now on GI) and she looks really good but in game she is fucking ugly as shit i mean wtf
wAcpiVE.png

kuroshiki

I have the game and it's good but what i don't like is i see all this ads and promo...(right now on GI) and she looks really good but in game she is fucking ugly as shit i mean wtf
wAcpiVE.png

If I remember right CGI was handled by Japanese division while in-game model was handled by Canadians.

and yet she still looks better than original tomb raider lol.

icespide

Banned
sorry, I'm sure this has been asked a thousand times already but is there any huge difference between ps3 or 360? if not I'll go with 360

Evolved1

wAcpiVE.png

They missed the concept art pretty hard.

She's wearing the same clothes/hair and is dirty, but otherwise her face is completely different and the proportions of the model are more akin to older games than the reboot concept art.

Good Game (a great Australian gaming show) just uploaded their video review - they both gave it a 10, which is very rare as they’re usually pretty harsh with scores.

They aren't harsh. They each gave Dead Space 3 a 9.5 or something. They just dont have a modicum of objectivity when it comes to genres they don't like (which is why DoA5 and TTT2 scored lower than that god awful Aliens game).

kuroshiki

She's wearing the same clothes/hair and is dirty, but otherwise her face is completely different and the proportions of the model are more akin to older games than the reboot concept art.

The CGI part actually looks close to concept art though.

GlamFM

Banned
wAcpiVE.png

"Fucking ugly as shit" - big words. Goes nicely with your avatar though.

haikira

Do you empathize with Lara in the way the devs wanted you to? How do you not groan when Lara falls 10m onto solid rock which should severely damage her back or at the very least break a few ribs but then complains about the stick she took to her abdomen later on?

The game itself is definitely fun and well designed (for something like this) but man the cutscenes are grating as shit. All these crazy action set pieces and I'm supposed to feel for this poor, frail little girl. I wish I could take a hit like Lara :(

There's definitely a great deal of exaggeration to the action in Tomb Raider and of course, there's no possible way any human could survive the stuff Lara does. But i think that's just going to be par for the course with most games and by comparison to most, i think this game handles it quite well. They at least acknowledge wounds and limitations more than most contemporaries.

I think the original Die Hard could be used as a good example. As John Mcclane survived and pulled off impossible situations. but by comparison to most other action heroes at the time, he was far more relatable and emphatic.

I do agree that it's more likely people will experience sympathy, rather than empathy. Though, her remorse for leading her colleagues into a dangerous situation, self doubt in such an extreme situation and her early reluctance to kill. Those make her a somewhat relatable character.

This long rant was officially supported by me procrastinating rather than revising.

fuenf

I think her ingame face looks more like Camilla, which is fine by me.

TheExodu5

Banned

They modeled her after her voice actress, they weren't shooting for the concept art.

And she's friggin' cute.

Tomb-Raider-s-Lara-Croft-Is-Voiced-by-Actress-Camilla-Luddington-2.jpg

Salaadin

So, does this game ever end up suffering from the same "endless enemy generator" problems towards the end that other similar games in this genre suffer from? I was surprised playing yesterday how quickly the firefights were over.

fuenf

So, does this game ever end up suffering from the same "endless enemy generator" problems towards the end that other similar games in this genre suffer from? I was surprised playing yesterday how quickly the firefights were over.

No, but later on firefights can be pretty long (2 or 3 times thought they were endless but luckily they ended shortly after that).

Your crow is currently in the oven for when this sells like hotcakes.

I'm convinced you don't actually read what Derrick writes. Like, it burns you or something.

Gonna be a lot of unclaimed crow rotting in the streets when all is said and done. I may be wrong of course, but I don't recall anyone suspecting this wouldn't score or sell well.

If it'll make you feel better, should I actually enjoy the game for what it is I'll eat a wing.

This Tomb Raider > All the other ones

VaNIA.gif

I'm convinced you don't actually read what Derrick writes. Like, it burns you or something.

Gonna be a lot of unclaimed crow rotting in the streets when all is said and done. I may be wrong of course, but I don't recall anyone suspecting this wouldn't score or sell well.

If it'll make you feel better, should I actually enjoy the game for what it is I'll eat a wing.

WAT?! Firstly, Derrick did say that this game will bomb - I can't for the life of me find the post but he did say it. And lots of people said the game was going to bomb and be shit too.

I mean just scanning this very thread I’m seeing people buying the game when they hated on it relentlessly and said they weren’t going to touch it. Some crow is definitely in order.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
idk... i try to refrain from estimating value for other people. depends if you want to support the devs.

mechanically, the game is not long so you could finish it in a rental period. and the multiplayer is lolcharted. don't suspect it has legs.

I do not give a shit about "supporting the devs" lol. I hate reading that nonsense on here all the time. But yeah, this game can prolly be platted in a weekend. Unfortunately I don't have time to game like that anymore. Will still wait for the 2 week bomba.

Berto

My god, the QTE are ruinning this! I died dozens of times by a wolf in a cave even though I was pressing the fucking buttons like a madman. QTE are a plague, jesus.

fuenf

My god, the QTE are ruinning this! I died dozens of times by a wolf in a cave even though I was pressing the fucking buttons like a madman. QTE are a plague, jesus.

I didnt have any trouble with the QTEs in the PS3 version, are they broken in the PC version? I thought they did a good job implementing them in a non-intrusive but fun way.

Berto

I didnt have any trouble with the QTEs in the PS3 version, are they broken in the PC version? I thought they did a good job implementing them in a non-intrusive but fun way.
Well they are in my PC. The "press right press left" thingy it's not working (it did work the first time though). I had to leave the game, was getting frustrated, the game simply doesn't detect that i'm pressing the damn buttons.

Top Bottom