• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider |OT| Lara's Misfortune

KrayzeeGloo

Neo Member
The dev's came out to my local Gamestop in Sunnyvale, CA. They signed games/guides and gave out lithos that they then signed as well. At first it was just a few then by the end of the night almost 20 of them were there.

Lots of insight on the development process and different iteration's of the game's mechanics and lots on the combat/weapons. And they were so humbled to share in the experience with us gamer's.

Huh, which store was this at? I work at the store over in Milpitas, would have dropped by if I knew this was going on.

Lucifon

Is it bad that I'm having an absolute blast with multiplayer? Feels incredibly similar to Uncharted's multiplayer to me, but I'm enjoying it more.

Also it feels great to be playing with a gamepad and absolutely schooling KB&M players (I prefer playing TPS games with a pad, would never play a PC FPS with a pad). Just went 16-1, 15-5, 12-2 in my last 3 games. Screw KB&M superiority :)

I am insane in thinking these guys may have built the best game engine in the business?

Technically everything about this game looks amazing: draw distances, foliage, lighting, textures, character models. And apparently it looks and runs great on all platforms.

I also really love the way there literally is no dividing line between in-game sequences and cinematic, to the point where you're often not sure when exactly a cinematic has ended and you're back in control or the game is awaiting user input.

1. Technically, no, absolutely not. There are static images that cover much of the vistas that you look at that are surprisingly low-res. BUT, the art is very strong in this game, and it makes a world of a difference. This is no Crysis 3, but as the art is so well done, it trumps it in style. I see what could have been had it been developed for PC/PS4/720, but as it stands it still looks great. I showed my wife this game earlier, and she thought it was a video and not actual game-play as she wasn't looking at how it was being controlled, she just had her eyes glued to the screen. It was literally like that Uncharted 2 commercial.

3. Yes, the way the cinematics are done, I never want to take my hand off of the keyboard, as I don't always know when a cutscene will come in or when it's gameplay.

2. I'm having a good time playing, but the PC versions seems to have a lot of CTD issues for Nvidia users, particularly the ones with higher-end graphics cards. I still really like the direction that TR has gone, even if I wish there was a bit more puzzle solving. I think CD has done a great job at their reboot.

4. Did you notice that my was list not numbered correctly?

Is it bad that I'm having an absolute blast with multiplayer? Feels incredibly similar to Uncharted's multiplayer to me, but I'm enjoying it more.

Also it feels great to be playing with a gamepad and absolutely schooling KB&M players (I prefer playing TPS games with a pad, would never play a PC FPS with a pad). Just went 16-1, 15-5, 12-2 in my last 3 games. Screw KB&M superiority :)

Same here, I tried the multiplayer and had a great time. Seeing two guys climb up the mountain side in the distance and shooting a explosive barrel at the top of it sending them sky high was hilarious.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

I tried telling the "SHITTY MP WAS SHOEHORNED IN" crowd that the mp was going to be fine and a lot of people would be playing it lol...they didn't listen!

-Amon-

The AI was specific to scenario. This is very apparent if you played around with the unlockable cheat things, I played through many portions of UC2 with the silent crossbow with infinite ammo. You were clearly not meant to stealth through the majority of the game, and there were a lot of invisible line triggers that made the AI suddenly go alert and shoot right at you.

That's a different story from saying that "Regarding the AI: Uncharted's seem to have X-ray vision, always knowing where you are as soon as you engage in combat."

That's the line i was responding to.

strafer

30 mins in and I DO wanna protect her.

This game man.

Fucking awesome.

Now I really want a Nathan Drake and Lara Croft adventure.

Lucifon

Same here, I tried the multiplayer and had a great time. Seeing two guys climb up the mountain side in the distance and shooting a explosive barrel at the top of it sending them sky high was hilarious.

Glad to know I'm not the only one! It's alot of fun. Won't blow anyone away but I think it's an incredibly solid addition.

colinp

Banned
In the first thirty minutes or so,
when you go down the ladder after you get your bow and camp.

At the end of the dwelling, right before you go back up the other ladder, there is a sign in Japanese that says, 'beware of wolves.' My gf translated it for me as i was playing and so, once you are up top and get stuck in the 'bear' trap of course wolves pounce on you. Hah!

Awesome.

Similarly, both entrances had signs saying 'emergency exit' in Japanese.

Edit: Also, Himiko and Yamatai are real things that are mysterious in Japanese history, taught about in Japanese schools.

Derrick01

Banned
Alright time to really dig into this today. I was going to play a lot more last night but the first 45 minutes or so were so damn boring I decided to just go to bed. People really undersold just how bad that first hour was.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Oh man just imagine the idea of a HP lovecraftian influence sequel for Lara in this veign but more traidtional Tomb exploration. That would be the game of forever.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Alright time to really dig into this today. I was going to play a lot more last night but the first 45 minutes or so were so damn boring I decided to just go to bed. People really undersold just how bad that first hour was.

As a fellow "modern gaming trends suck" enthusiast, at the very least you knew the design of that first hour was inevitable.

I think I must be doing something wrong. I'm failing the second timed QuickTime event over and over - I know I have to press triangle. But no matter when I press the button it always fails me. Suggestions?

It's not even like I'm new to QTE, as I'm a massive GOW and Uncharted fan.

Derrick01

Banned
As a fellow "modern gaming trends suck" enthusiast, at the very least you knew the design of that first hour was inevitable.

Yeah for example I knew the game had an instance where you got xp after a cutscene, I remember making fun of it in one of the older threads, but I didn't know it happens after every cutscene or tutorial prompt lol.

I think I'm mostly past the "tutorial" now so hopefully the game moves on from that nonsense. I am not so needy that I have to get 100 xp for pressing the B button to drop off a ledge.

I'm an expert

You will take the exp being shoved down your throat and you will like it. There are weapons to be upgraded, ya know?

Yeah for example I knew the game had an instance where you got xp after a cutscene, I remember making fun of it in one of the older threads, but I didn't know it happens after every cutscene or tutorial prompt lol.

I think I'm mostly past the "tutorial" now so hopefully the game moves on from that nonsense. I am not so needy that I have to get 100 xp for pressing the B button to drop off a ledge.

Lol really? That is hilarious.

DukeBobby

To be fair it is the part everyone says is really bad. At least it looks amazing on PC with those ultra textures.

Yeah, the opening is very poor. It does get much better soon after, though.

I agree with you on the graphics. It looks fantastic, even though TressFX looks a bit crap at times. Sometimes, Lara's hair just disappears completely.

DSmalls84

When I launch Tomb Raider it defaults to my Intel integrated card instead of my 660ti. I have my nvidia software set to prefer maximum performance. Anyone have any ideas? At this point I can't even launch tomb raider.

BluWacky

I've only played the first 45 but thought that was really well done actually, surprised to see so many dislike it.

It's a QTE fest filled with cutscenes and moments where all you do is press forward and Lara magically does stuff for you. While it may look impressive, it's the level of meaningful interactivity that is the problem.

There are a few more setpieces like that which I haven't been a huge fan of but in general the game is much more willing to give the player control in meaningful ways.

I'm an expert

I've only played the first 45 but thought that was really well done actually, surprised to see so many dislike it.

It's boring handheld tutorial shit, no? The only thing left to like are the cutscenes.

Good Lord this game doesn’t muck around – it just keeps on delivering quality after quality. Exploring
the remains of the endurance ship was really well done!
Dat atmosphere! HNNNNNNG!

By the way, it needs to be said again – the sound design is just phenomenal. The game has some of the best sounding weapons I’ve ever come across in a game. The upgraded rifle is sex.

I loved it. The second I took control of Lara the game had me by the balls with its sense of atmosphere and mood.

mxgt

Banned
The QTE fest opening is terrible but it does get a lot better.

Looking forward to getting off work and playing some more. Haven't had that feeling about a game in ages.

Lucifon

Any multiplayer impressions? Weirdly enough I'm looking forward to jumping into this mode at some point.

It's great fun! Won't blow your socks off, but it's a solid addition. I thought I'd give it a whirl this morning and ended up playing for hours .

Can anybody find a match online (PC version)?

Yep! Tried Quick Match? That seems to work for me. I'm assuming most people aren't touching the MP yet and are focusing on the singleplayer.

Is there a party system in the PC version? I can't seem to find one.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
Shadow, would you consider the feelings and experience you're getting to what you had with Resident Evil, coming from a fan of that series?

Andrew.

Banned
Alright so aside from a slow QTE fest at the beginning, everything is solid so far?

Sounds good. Ill be picking up my copy on my break. PS3 version.

Good Lord this game doesn’t muck around – it just keeps on delivering quality after quality. Exploring
the remains of the endurance ship was really well done!
Dat atmosphere! HNNNNNNG!

By the way, it needs to be said again – the sound design is just phenomenal. The game has some of the best sounding weapons I’ve ever come across in a game. The upgraded rifle is sex.

I loved it. The second I took control of Lara the game had me by the balls with its sense of atmosphere and mood.

How not to do a spoiler confirmed.

DieH@rd

Banned
It actually lasts like 10 minutes. Don't sweat it ;)

The only excessive QTE moments is in the
wolf den
. After that, they are very rare and short.

Is the game optimized well on PC? Don't want to be running into a lot of problems :x

Yes, its runs great on PC with much better graphics on the consoles. Nvidia users are reporting random crashes, as well preformance problems with TressFX hair. PC port is AMD sponsored.

Fabrik

Banned
The beginning didn't bother me at all. It's a great way to introduce the island and the atmosphere of the game. It isn't more on-rails than Uncharted 2's opening. There's even a small puzzle.

Derrick01

Banned
Is the game optimized well on PC? Don't want to be running into a lot of problems :x

I would say yes outside of some DX11 stuff.

I'm running it at 1080p with ultra textures and detail level and high everything else at a pretty consistent 55-60fps on a measly gtx 470, with some minor AA and AF on. I only have the DX11 stuff like tessellation and the hair stuff turned off. The hair effects alone knock up to 20fps off for me.

just-a-little-bit-himym-o.gif

Sorta...Depending on your cards. Nvidia or AMD?

Shadow, would you consider the feelings and experience you're getting to what you had with Resident Evil, coming from a fan of that series?

To Resident Evil 4? Yeah this game is giving me similar feelings to when I first played Resident Evil 4.

I'm not sure yet if I can say I like Tomb Raider more........but I can say that I like it more than the original Uncharted and Uncharted 3 – both games I like quite a bit despite some obvious issues. Uncharted 2 is what I consider to be the best game since Resident Evil 4 and the closest a game has gotten to reaching its greatness. I've got nothing but praise for Resident Evil 4 and think it's one of the very few games I'd call perfect. At the moment it goes something like this for me: Resident Evil 4 > Tomb Raider = Uncharted 2 > Uncharted 3 > Uncharted.

How not to do a spoiler confirmed.

?

Okay. So I finished the game the other day, but I'm just going through and getting all the collectables.

Mountain Temple is separated in half by a cliff and a waterfall and there is only one camp which is situated on top - meaning that I can only fast travel to that location as you can't walk from one area to another as far as I'm aware. The problem is, I can't get down to the lower area of the map space. There's a ladder, but I can't use it. As soon as you get over the edge, you die.

Anyone know how to get down?

Anyone know the answer to this? I was assuming it would unlock later.

Top Bottom