• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Trilogy |OT| The Crystal Dynamics Collection

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Stallion Free said:
What did you think of St. Francis' Folly in TRA. That level is the high point of the whole trilogy here for me.
Is that where you roll the ball? Yes, that whole segment was great. I actually enjoyed the Anniversary while playing it but it's for some reason faded from my memory almost completely. I think it was all that variety from Legend that has stuck with me, lots of unexpected stuff there, like young Lara level or that gala party scene.

More than anything honestly I don't feel like buying this trilogy because of Underworld, which I really grew to despise through the course of the game. That's why I wish they'd release them on PSN separately.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Lord Error said:
Is that where you roll the ball? Yes, that whole segment was great.
The opener of St. Francis Folly does have a ball rolling segment, but the real meat of the stage is the 4 named chambers (Hephaestus, Atlas, Poseidon, and Damocles). So much variety in one stage, and the way they're all connected with the central room and the vertical tower is great.

AAK

So overall, how is the port quality? Did anyone encounter severe bugs & crashes and how does the framerate and textures all in all hold up?

I'm really interested in jumping in but I'm just being cautious after the POP Classics HD collection calamity.

ban25

Stallion Free said:
What did you think of St. Francis' Folly in TRA. That level is the high point of the whole trilogy here for me.

That was a lot of fun. I had to restart several times to get the trophy for the lightning puzzle.

gdt

AAK said:
So overall, how is the port quality? Did anyone encounter severe bugs & crashes and how does the framerate and textures all in all hold up?

I'm really interested in jumping in but I'm just being cautious after the POP Classics HD collection calamity.

Great port. Haven't had a bug at all.

Legends looks solid, so far Anniversary looks great.

Mesijs

Finished three levels in Legend. Really digging it so far, because it's such a nice pick up and play arcade action game. It's quite uncomplicated in controls and action, and it's really fun.

However, I keep saying to myself: in this and this and this respect they should really copy Uncharted... Especially combat is quite poor in TR, but also some more fluency in controls and camera work could really help the game.

Then again, if Uncharted would put some additional over-the-top stuff in there that's in the TR games, that would be great as well.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Mesijs said:
Finished three levels in Legend. Really digging it so far, because it's such a nice pick up and play arcade action game. It's quite uncomplicated in controls and action, and it's really fun.

However, I keep saying to myself: in this and this and this respect they should really copy Uncharted... Especially combat is quite poor in TR, but also some more fluency in controls and camera work could really help the game.

Then again, if Uncharted would put some additional over-the-top stuff in there that's in the TR games, that would be great as well.
The better solution would be to remove combat from the series entirely. People love Tomb Raider for platforming and puzzles, not action.

Stallion Free said:
The better solution would be to remove combat from the series entirely. People love Tomb Raider for platforming and puzzles, not action.

I like to think of my ideal game as Uncharted + huge intense boss fights + Tomb Raider platforming and puzzle solving.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
cpp_is_king said:
I like to think of my ideal game as Uncharted + huge intense boss fights + Tomb Raider platforming and puzzle solving.
So you want them to improve the bosses, platforming and puzzles in Uncharted? Not suprising as those are the three most common complaints.

Finished Legend, and man, when it's on, it's ON, but once they got away from puzzle solving and into stuff like big boss fights...jank, jank, jank, jank, jank. Not enough to ruin the experience, but definitely enough to make me wish there was less combat. I would've been completely fine with NO boss fights, and minimal Lara vs. human combat and instead have increasingly complex puzzles that would serve as the bosses. Or hell, even make the bosses puzzles instead of having me fight them directly. I even glitched on the second to last major boss fight was was a pain in the ass, and if I didn't have a save from before, it would've forced me to completely restart the game.

In the end though, solving puzzles and platforming while Zip and Alister argue in your headset were definitely the highpoints. The Manor is absolutely a great time as well post game to just jump around and do what this game does best.

looking forward to starting Anniversary tomorrow.

gdt

Almost at the end of the fantastic Greece temple in Anniversary. That vertical tower section is so fucking boss.

One of my favorite things in the CD trilogy are the gymnastic style moves you can do with dodge/jump + direction. I really hope Tomb Raider 9 keeps on pushing that athletic side of Lara Croft. Messing around in the gym in the Manor really feels like a gymnastics simulator. Like the equivalent of having Bruce Wayne's training room in a Batman game.

TripOpt55

I'm partway through St. Francis' Folly in Anniversary at the moment. Probably my favorite TR level ever. It's so great. I had finished Peru earlier and decided I'd try some of the time trials. The first were really easy, but the next two I kept dying on as I rushed through. I was just missing these stupid jumps. I imagine some of the levels later on being a total bitch to do the time trials for. Not sure if I'll go after them or not.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat Legend. The ending was... abrupt. I guess I was expecting some huge lead-up platforming like in TRA. Thankfully the only bug I encountered through the entire game was that one freeze before the Japan boss fight, so probably I lucked out.

While the puzzles never reached the levels of brilliance of Anniversary's best, I appreciated the variety. I enjoyed the more typical ancient death trap puzzles in Ghana, Peru, etc. well enough, but I had a really good time with the research facility in Kazakhstan, the tourist trap and underground waterways in Cornwall, and of course scaling a skyscraper in Japan. Didn't mind Zip and Alister's commentary, since they were good for a laugh at some points and made Lara more talkative.

I definitely agree with the widespread sentiment that the combat was lame
with the exception of Excalibur, 'cause it reminded me of the stupidly overpowered, and therefore awesome, weapons that you could get in GoL, haha.
Anniversary's better in that regard because there's less of it and you can easily shorten combat sequences with the adrenaline dodge... but still not ideal. Really curious as to what direction CD will take the combat in the reboot.

On to Underworld!

Net_Wrecker said:
Or hell, even make the bosses puzzles instead of having me fight them directly.

Seconded. I think my favorite boss fight out of TRA and TRL so far was Greece, because it was more puzzley in nature.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Played Bolivia and Peru in Legend, Yeah the superior Xbox 1 port shits all over this port performance and framerate wise ,This port is slow and chubby as hell compared to Xbox 1 port.

The "HD" texture" are all over the place compared to the Xbox 360 port , in some places they are good, in other they are just freaking ugly, I'd rather have full super "clean" look ( like other PS2 ports) than this disgusting mess.

On the good side, well they add DD 5.1 to ports, at least they are better than Sony's ports audio-wise.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat the first level in Underworld.

Holy shit, the game is pretty. Controls, weirdly enough, feel less fluid to me, and the more realistic style makes some animations look a bit janky. I'll get used to it soon enough probably, guess it was just a big change after playing Anniversary and Legend in a row.

But yeah, game is pretty. Stallion Free kept mentioning that the game has some of the most beautiful underwater sequences... and it's already delivered, right in the first stage, haha.

EDIT: Ah, I figured out what was throwing me off control-wise... I'm so used to holding forward+jump to get to ledges above Lara's head. The inclusion of the chimney jump (so now she tends to push off of walls) means I have to get used to just leaving the stick at neutral and jumping. I'm a fan of the new maneuvers, cool to see her acrobatic skills expanded.

Grisby

Net_Wrecker said:
One of my favorite things in the CD trilogy are the gymnastic style moves you can do with dodge/jump + direction. I really hope Tomb Raider 9 keeps on pushing that athletic side of Lara Croft. Messing around in the gym in the Manor really feels like a gymnastics simulator. Like the equivalent of having Bruce Wayne's training room in a Batman game.

I love that. My Lara was never just walking anywhere.

Stallion Free said:

I actually preferred the Thailand level in Underworld...in general I prefer outdoor levels, as I think they're naturally more atmospheric and nice to look at. Anniversary was a great game, too (played on Wii)...looking forward to getting this trilogy next pay so I can try Legend for the first time.

BowieZ

Banned
Budr said:
That would be phenomenal. Now I'm sad that it isn't happening :(
I guarantee it'll happen one day, soon perhaps.

20th anniversary (2017) maybe.

It's a better game and story than TR1 in my opinion and would suit the upgrade.

Love to see Great Wall of China/Temple of Xian, Venice canals, sunken Maria Doria and Tibetan temples in re-imagined HD form, not to mention see how they tackle the bizarre final level!

jarosh

i have legends, anniversary and underworld on the 360. is there any point in getting this? i don't suppose underworld is any better. but how are anniversary and legends "more" hd than on the 360? are they using better assets?

Ellis Kim

Banned
I'm a little surprised that Y2Kev hasn't been more involved in the thread so far. I thought he was a huge Tomb Raider fan? Or am I thinking of someone else on GAF?

Budr

BowieZ said:
It's a better game and story than TR1 in my opinion and would suit the upgrade.

No doubt. II is my favourite in the series and the Maria Doria is one of my favourite settings in any game.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Ellis Kim said:
I'm a little surprised that Y2Kev hasn't been more involved in the thread so far. I thought he was a huge Tomb Raider fan? Or am I thinking of someone else on GAF?
No, it's me. I am. But I own these already. I've played Legend something like 8 times on PS2, 360, and PSP (and hoh boy, the PSP one is bad). I've got four versions of Anniversary. And 2 of Underworld.

I'm not cvxfreak. :)

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
jarosh said:
i have legends, anniversary and underworld on the 360. is there any point in getting this?

You don't have to buy the collection, they are the same games, the main point of this collection is for PS3 only owners who don't have the games before.

jarosh said:
i don't suppose underworld is any better.

PS3 Underworld's IQ is way way better but the frame rate is way worse in some places.

jarosh said:
but how are anniversary and legends "more" hd than on the 360? are they using better assets?

Well iirc 360 version of Legend and Anniversary run at 1024 x 600 and Underworld run at 1024 x 576 , so technically speaking -native resolution wise- the 360 versions weren't even HD. ( just look at how blurry they are on 360).

Okay those in the know, I trust GAF. . .so are these actually good? Frame rate, textures etc. I have PS2 copies, but I don't mind buying HD ports.

Sorry if this has been answered a billion times. I'm cooking at present.

If its good I have no problem in paying for it. Its the shite ports that I won't support (Ubisoft).

ban25

I made it to the Lost Island last night. Had a blast in Egypt. I'm hoping I can finish it off by the weekend and then move on to one of the other two.

ban25

truly101 said:
I just wish they had done an Anniversary remake of TR2

That would be awesome. TR2 was the only original one I played (partially) on PC. I've been considering buying the PS1 games off of PSN or going the PC route. Does anyone know if the PC games (TR2, 3, etc.) are playable on modern PCs (Windows 7)? If not, I'll just play the PS1 games.

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Just beat the Thailand level in TRU... that was really, really damn good. Very Anniversary-ish in the upper level with the Shiva statue and the chamber where you have to use Thor's gauntlet was sweet.

It brought the eye-candy as well... Tons of amazing vistas, so I'd often just pause to take in the scenery (and then get attacked by giant lizards!).

Looking forward to raiding the Croft family tombs after dinner.

FireCloud

I'm toward the end of St. Francis' Folly (I think). The platforming puzzles are definitely more difficult in Anniversary than they were in Legend. Really enjoyed the short levels in Legend. It made it easier, I think, to burn through the game from one location to the next.

I had to take a break last night after getting stuck with how to get out of a room. Would have rather finished it before calling it a night but there is only so many times in a row I can replay a level before getting a little fed up. (....done venting...thx)

yikes i'm about halfway through anniversary and some of these puzzles are just asinine ;p

i hate to shit on it having only played legend as the single tomb raider experience in my life and i appreciate the exploration aspect, but i haven't had a character so regularly misinterpret my actions in a platformer in a long time. take that and add the exploration-based puzzles and backtracking... i don't even know if i want to play anymore, it's just frustrating

doesn't help that the camera seems to think it's in some other game altogether

Mr. Spinnington said:
yikes i'm about halfway through anniversary and some of these puzzles are just asinine ;p

i hate to shit on it having only played legend as the single tomb raider experience in my life and i appreciate the exploration aspect, but i haven't had a character so regularly misinterpret my actions in a platformer in a long time. take that and add the exploration-based puzzles and backtracking... i don't even know if i want to play anymore, it's just frustrating

doesn't help that the camera seems to think it's in some other game altogether

Eh, most of the puzzles are pretty straightforward IMO, which ones could you possibly be having trouble with? The only complaint I have is the checkpoint system, I don't like having to repeat an entire room with tons of jumps and leaps just because I died at an inconvenient time.

I am playing Anniversary for the first time, really digging it. Love that every animal in the game wants me dead. Love that they all get what's coming to them.
OMG A T-REX SHOOT IT'S FACE!

the game has pretty finicky controls but the environments are great. Anyways I previously played Legends which is the only one I know from the series, can't wait to replay it.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Tylahedras said:
I am playing Anniversary for the first time, really digging it. Love that every animal in the game wants me dead. Love that they all get what's coming to them.
OMG A T-REX SHOOT IT'S FACE!

I hate Killing poor animals in TR games, especially tigers or other big cats, it's the worse thing about the series, I do hope/wish they remove this from the reboot and future TR games.

gdt

Totobeni said:
I hate Killing poor animals in TR games, especially tigers or other big cats, it's the worse thing about the series, I do hope/wish they remove this from the reboot and future TR games.

From some of the info we have, you'll be killing the fuck out of animals in the new Tomb Raider.

Mr_Zombie

Totobeni said:
That's why they gave you a tranqulizer in Underworld :D.

sublimit

Banned
Totobeni said:

TripOpt55

I'm working through Greece in Anniversary at the moment. I'm on the last level of it I think. I went back and did the Peru time trials. I did miss one artifact in The Lost Valley I need to go back for though.

krae_man

Totobeni said:

Or you can play Angel of Darkness and kill security guards.

Totobeni said:

What the ? Are you kidding me? What about games like Uncharted where you kill literally 1,000 people over the course of the game? So people are ok but animals aren't? Shit, at the end of the game, the game even mocks itself. You're fighting the last boss and the guy says to you "How many people have you killed Drake? JUST TODAY!" But you kill like 10 tigers in an entire game and all of a sudden it's messed up?

I guess a better question is, do you even like any video games at all?

ban25

Mr_Zombie said:
That's why they gave you a tranqulizer in Underworld :D.

Regarding TRA:

I was surprised by the cutscenes toward the end of Anniversary where Lara says "I'm not the person you think I am" and kills the three henchmen. I'm not at the end yet, so I'll have to see what happens, but...damn, that's cold, babe.

protonion

The last level in Egypt is amazing! Even the relic is so brilliantly hidden. Anniversary has set the bar really high.Maybe too high...

Top Bottom