• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomodachi Life |OT| Please don't try to understand

Robin64

Tomodachi Quest at the amusement park is so bizarre...

zlCfzSBFwB443rsV5Z

Cody_D165

Banned
I broke down and downloaded the game despite the slight hesitation I was having. Couldn't resist after I rewatched the Direct. About to jump in, here goes!

Kacho

My initial impression is that this is great. I can see this game getting better and better over time as you develop your people. So many laughs already.

My buddy is a huge Waluigi fan, so I had him perform a ballad to his most favorite of characters. I think it turned out well!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxNFdgR2r_M

Quoted for new page. This is beautiful.

Played the whole afternoon and seems like I'm already hitting a wall, content wise. Well, I guess the game will keep trickling out new stuff like Animal Crossing. Since I don't know what I'm missing still, I won't judge the game yet, but I'm guessing the game would benefit greatly from online/local interaction.
So far I think it's a solid foundation for a truly unique life sim game and the weird situations are hilarious.

I assume everybody has Cooking Mama's Mii from Majesco, yeah?

tumblr_ljaya9Hv911qzp9weo1_400.jpg

Thank you very much! I needed a few more gals on my island.
Reggie kept chasing my mii for a while and then he professed his love. Gary Oldman then ran up and confessed his love. Now my mii is sweethearts with Gary Oldman. Poor Reggie, he looks so down in the dumps. He just got over his fight with Aonuma too.

Loving this game!

XaosWolf

I set up Iwata on my island with an unchanging expression. Makes things even funnier. Zoomed in on his head accidentally and he was thinking of cats.
Also turned Bigby Wolf into a child with some kind of spray he gave me.
Quiky Question is super abusable.

This is officially "What is this I don't even: the Video Game"

If anyone is interested in the demo version: Tough! I have no codes left.

Vargavinter

I set up Iwata on my island with an unchanging expression. Makes things even funnier.
Also turned Bigby Wolf into a child with some kind of spray he gave me.

This is officially "What is this I don't even: the Video Game"

If anyone is interested in the demo version, I have my 2 UK/EU codes to give away!

Im interested in a EU one if you still got them.

watershed

Banned
Aside from the ones on the official site, are there any other QR Codes for tomodachi life miis: ones who already have their voice and personality stuff all set up?

I want famous folks like other video game characters and stuff.

Today Sonic tried to confess to my Mii, only for Eggman to step in. My mii chose Eggman. My fiancee's mii doesn't seem too bothered by this. Nikki and Tails are now dating.

Batman confessed to sleeping with a teddy at night, Iwata decided he wanted to dress like a Ninja.

This game is a trip

Aw, Queen Cleopatra was turned down by my lookalike so now she's all mopey with a raincloud over her head. When I tap the thought bubble with my Mii's head in it, the items button flashes... What item cures a broken heart? Not bath or music box.

Sadness replaces the happiness meter when a Mii gets upset/angry and doing nice things for them drops it a bit, In my experience getting a travel ticket and sending them on holiday does wonders for a heartbroken Mii. Worked for ChibiBecky after she got in a strop about me telling her Eggman was a bad idea, and worked for Sonic today. Baths are better for cooling Mii's off after they get angry

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Gotta hand it to Amazon, it certainly came in; still not sure how much 1-day shipping is costing them for these kinds of things.

Gala

Scarlett Johansson was rejected by my Mii, after Felicity from Arrow made a dramatic entrance at the top of the tower and forced my Mii to choose between the both of them. After bitter tears and a trip to Africa, Scarlett and Felicity are friends again. Also Tak Fujii is wearing swimming pants and a Marie Antoinette wig and is skating in front of the tower like a mad man while Klaus Kinski is fishing and searching for treasure at the beach.

XaosWolf

<< NEWS FLASH >>

Bish reporting on a new fitness machine:
hni_0058ybr4n.jpg

Nikki Note is demoing it:
hni_0055cdpzr.jpg

Also featured reactions from Eiji Aonuma (dressed as a dinosaur obviously) and Professor Samuel Oak.

Meanwhile: Miyamoto is running laps of the beach, and my lookalike is dreaming of being mechanically dipped in pink paint.

LSD Simulator indeed.

aravuus

After playing around with it a bit all I have to say is

Why oh why did you fuck up the pricing so hard Nintendo

It's absolutely adorable and I'd love to get the full game, but I know it will entertain me for two evenings at most. I just can't justify spending most of my little money to get this and have fun for like 3 hours.

If it was 10 euros, which I think is a fitting price, I'd get it in a heartbeat

XaosWolf

After playing around with it a bit all I have to say is

Why oh why did you fuck up the pricing so hard Nintendo

It's absolutely adorable and I'd love to get the full game, but I know it will entertain me for two evenings at most. I just can't justify spending most of my little money to get this and have fun for like 3 hours.

If it was 10 euros, which I think is a fitting price, I'd get it in a heartbeat

I agree the pricing is too high considering the lack of "gameplay". But 10 might be a bit too low.

Does Nikki have an actual last name?
Not that I'm aware of. I just liked the alliteration. =)

daydream

Banned
Seems like I've exhausted the demo (thanks again for the code, Robin!). It extinguished my worries that this game would be another infinite time-sink like Animal Crossing which is something I'm not really looking for at the moment.

So yeah, it seems more focused. Also, completely weird and over-the-top. I was surprised by how engaging the whole "import Miis" thing is. If I get the full version, I will definitely have to think about my circus members (assembling a selection of GAFfers and chronicling their antics in this thread is certainly an idea).

There's a whole lot of places to go to, as well. The demo made me curious to find out what they all are. One thing I was worried about is how much actual progress, new tasks, etc. were tied to a timer (like in AC). I'm still not entirely sure about that, but the demo gave me the impression that there would always be something to do.

I like that the game is controlled with the stylus online. A game should be able to commit to one control scheme (even if it's a hybrid one). One detail that bugs me about Mario Golf, for example, is how the whole game can be controlled with the buttons (which I prefer), but going into camera mode to get a view of the course requires tapping a button. Also smart to have a screenshot feature for both screens on separate buttons.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "localised food" thing. I feel like every region should get the same Tomodachi Life. Is there a way to adjust that via in-game or system settings? Also, can your change your personality after the fact? It didn't really become transparent why the attributed points translated into a "competitive" personality for my Mii. I would be odd if you couldn't considering it's supposed to be sort of a doll's house/test tube for your character experiments.

So yeah, it's certainly a very unusual game but I think I might get it solely to find out what it has to offer in terms of locations, interactions, events, items, and just overall craziness.

I agree the pricing is too high considering the lack of "gameplay". But 10 might be a bit too low.

Not that I'm aware of. I just liked the alliteration. =)

I named my Nikki "Nikki Tendo"

Also £10 is a bit low, the game does get a bit better the more miis you add, and the more invested you are in your characters and their little soap operas, the better.

I wish the treasures were more than just little nicknacks you can't do anything with, other than pawn off. It's a bummer when you get something like the ball and cup and think "hey this would be neat to see my Mii play with it" but then nope it's just window dressing.

Seems like I've exhausted the demo (thanks again for the code, Robin!). It extinguished my worries that this game would be another infinite time-sink like Animal Crossing which is something I'm not really looking for at the moment.

There's a whole lot of places to go to, as well. The demo made me curious to find out what they all are. One thing I was worried about is how much actual progress, new tasks, etc. were tied to a timer (like in AC). I'm still not entirely sure about that, but the demo gave me the impression that there would always be something to do.

The only things set to timers are events on the island and even those are pretty broad and incredibly hard to miss due to huge windows. For example, Morning market at the Fountain runs from 6:30am to 12:00pm.

Even then, each market is just an additional chance to get a new item from somewhere other than Mii events and the daily store stocks (and for cheaper too). The game even lists event times at each location if you tap on them, so this isn't like AC where you have to check the out-of-the-way signboard or find out in a guide where someone will be. Tomodachi's really chill about it all, and gives players every chance to enjoy what it has to offer. Most of the non-shop areas however are mostly just places you Mii can go to for using various gifts or for hanging about.

The game does regenerate requests whenever you run out, bar evenings where most mii's go to bed (Nikki stayed up almost all night with Wonder Woman last night, them crazy gals) and all Mii's are pretty low maintenance. There's no major cost for not fufilling a request ( which is nice when they ask for special items that the game only randomly doles out) , at worst a Mii will be upset/angry until you've made them happy enough to act normal again. I had a bunch asking for things I simply did not have nor could acquire yesterday and they eventually gave up and did something else.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "localised food" thing. I feel like every region should get the same Tomodachi Life. Is there a way to adjust that via in-game or system settings? Also, can your change your personality after the fact? It didn't really become transparent why the attributed points translated into a "competitive" personality for my Mii. I would be odd if you couldn't considering it's supposed to be sort of a doll's house/test tube for your character experiments.

I'ld argue localisation is a necessity for this game as much as it is for Animal Crossing (which sees it's own fair share of regional adjustments) . I'ld understand having Japanese food if Tomodachi was specifically implied to take place in Japan, but it takes place on a random island you happen to own in a fictional world. While you and I might know what Teyaki and Teppinyaki are, most Europeans don't know about Japanese food to a huge degree. Localising the food makes sense in that people can relate to the dishes (as they'll of likely had most of them) and allows even those who don't have a thing for Japanese food to enjoy the game. There's a fairly nice, diverse mix of regional foods in the game so far (today I got a Russian new year salad) . So you can even learn a little from it too.

XaosWolf

One thing I was worried about is how much actual progress, new tasks, etc. were tied to a timer (like in AC). I'm still not entirely sure about that, but the demo gave me the impression that there would always be something to do.

Currently working a Nightshift, and most of the Mii's are in bed. Plenty of dreams to look in on though.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "localised food" thing. I feel like every region should get the same Tomodachi Life. Is there a way to adjust that via in-game or system settings?

I don't believe so. EU food seems to be covered quite well though. It makes the Shadow Guess minigame ridiculous if it's on a plate or something. =P

Also, can your change your personality after the fact?

Yup! Not sure if you can change the personality and such of a Tomodachi Life QR code Mii though.

EDIT: Samus just had a dream where a giant Kaz Hirai peeked out of the sea.
Guys, if you've got Tomodachi QR codes, let me at 'em. My Mii Apartments just expanded and now I need some fresh residents.

So this might be a silly question but I can't seem to turn spot/street pass on? I'm in the options and it's greyed out. Of course it is turned on in m system and everything..

So this might be a silly question but I can't seem to turn spot/street pass on? I'm in the options and it's greyed out. Of course it is turned on in m system and everything..
I'm experiencing this too. Is it just something that turns on? I'm sitting with a friend playing and her port just opened but mine is still Breyer out. Wtf?

culafia

Does the game ever stop being so...one note?

Played 3 hours and put 10 people in apartments. I think it's disingenuous to compare this to Sims or Animal Crossing. The game more or less comes across as a toy more than a game; you manipulate the world from afar like a deity and watch the world unfold. You make Miis happy, you play the same few mini-games, and you watch them do silly things. There is some customization, but it doesn't seem as addicting as AC yet. I guess I've just been feeling a bit of repetition.

closer013

I'm experiencing this too. Is it just something that turns on? I'm sitting with a friend playing and her port just opened but mine is still Breyer out. Wtf?

You need to unlock the hat store AND enter it & leave for the 'passes to become available.
The hat shop is unlocked by having 2 male and 2 female tenants AND by solving 10 problems.

XaosWolf

Gonna give you as much context as I got here:

hni_0067o4def.jpg

And my Tomodachi Life QR Code:
hni_0070freyr.jpg

You may have hit you StreetPass activation limit. Check Settings > Data Management > StreetPass Management and delete some you don't use anymore.

You need to unlock the hat store AND enter it & leave for the 'passes to become available.
The hat shop is unlocked by having 2 male and 2 female tenants AND by solving 10 problems.
Or this, of course. =P

Thanks for the answers, XW!

The food thing is not a deal breaker, obviously, just really weird.

Thanks, I'm here all night. =D

Nice to see I'm not just missing something that's sitting right there!

Keep playing and things will open up over time.
Oh, ok. Well I guess there's some incentive to spend a good amount of time with it!

Currently importing all the sailor senshi into my island. I'm actually lacking males at this point..

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I just rejected my targeted wife when she proposed to me!
Samus worked so hard to get us together too...

XaosWolf

Is it a temporary thing? I haven't used it.

It might be. Just went to check if I could change the now-Child into a Grown Up via editing and it's greyed out. =/
Unless there's a timer before it wears off or you can change it back. Or a Grow Up spray maybe.

Edit: I don't know whether these count as spoilers for a... thing like this.

Bigby:
hni_0075wicxm.jpg

My Brother:
hni_0078w7c8i.jpg

Sonic:
hni_00869cepi.jpg

It might be. Just went to check if I could change the now-Child into a Grown Up via editing and it's greyed out. =/
Unless there's a timer before it wears off or you can change it back. Or a Grow Up spray maybe.

There is, it's called an age-o-matic spray - "For kids who want to be grown ups and do things like getting married"

Top Bottom