• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD |OT| LIGHTS OUT, GUERILLA RADI... oh (28k)

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Robomodo has managed to make these once-vibrant levels look like they are the skate park near Gear of War’s
That certainly seems true from everything I have seen of the game.

Except that isn't the case at all. A silly complaint anyway, really, the original games always had a very grimey look to them. Levels that were dingy looking in the other games look the same here, others that were bright and colourful are the same here.

I wonder if the game didn't have the UE logo at the start whether the reviewer would even make this comment...

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
That demo was ridiculously short. Will have to wait for the disc based PS3 version, unless there's a cheap adapter to use a USB pad on 360.

daycru

I feel like a total sucker. Frame rate sucks, physics are bizarre. Every bit of life has been sucked from the environments. Robomodo trying to do Tony Hawk is me trying to draw the Mona Lisa. You can show me the artwork and explain it to me. But I'm never going to be able to draw it. The final bullet to the head for any interest I'll have for anything with Tony Hawk's name on it.

To be fair, it's still enough for anyone to decide on a purchase. This is how it plays, and this is how it looks. Do you want more or not?
They don't even let you finish a single session which is 5 minutes. Ridiculous.

Well you're right, I decided no I don't want more if they're going to be pricks about it.

beanman25

That demo was ridiculously short. Will have to wait for the disc based PS3 version, unless there's a cheap adapter to use a USB pad on 360.

You just reminded me I have the adapter to use my Ps3 controller on my 360.

YES! Now I need 400 points and I'm golden!

daycru

Anyone else feel they can't land specials with any degree of regularity? I was just playing 2X and was stringing together long combos with no issue. Feel like it's random whether it recognizes an input for specials.

Bgamer90

Banned
That certainly seems true from everything I have seen of the game.
He hit the nail on the head when he said that it was very apparent that this wasn't Neversoft working on the game.

Haha a 4.5 out of 10?

I usually don't complain about scores but that is ridiculous. That's "broken game" territory and the game is no where near that.

The game plays well as you move along and add stats to your player. It's as addictive as the previous Tony Hawk games imo... at least in terms of single player.

I also love how he says that the game is dark and gritty as if the very first THPS was such a colorful bright game lol.

Seems that a lot of the complaints are coming from people who remember the first THPS games as being better than they actually were.

I also think that many are rememebering the original game after they beat it when they had a player with max stats which therefore made them think that the game was smooth by default and that THPS HD is sluggish (when it really isn't... You just have to get stats to build up your character more).

I don't know... I enjoyed the old THPS games and I really enjoyed playing THPS HD (played for about a hour). Looking forward to playing some more later on.

jack.

Banned
Anyone else feel they can't land specials with any degree of regularity? I was just playing 2X and was stringing together long combos with no issue. Feel like it's random whether it recognizes an input for specials.

Yeah, I've had the same experience.

bedlamite

Lack of single player modes (it seems you ONLY have the main game no free skate or anything unless i missed something) and lack of customization sucks.
Press left/right at the level select screen to switch between SP modes.

Just dug out my copy of TH Project 8 and as bad as that game was, it still feels much better, more responsive than this HD version. I don't often say this, but I wish I could get a refund on this game. :( was so hyped for it too. Suffice to say I'll never buy anything else Robomodo makes.

Sophia

I tried the demo, but it looks like I'll be sticking with my Dreamcast copy of THPS2. I wasn't very satisfied with the physics and poor User Interface.

Bgamer90

Banned
Half of the damn scale is for "broken games"? You're why scores are so inflated.

lol Really?

So me simply stating how most games don't get below a five out of ten from gaming sites means that I'm the reason why scores are so inflated?

How does that make any sense?

Ocaso

Half of the damn scale is for "broken games"? You're why scores are so inflated.

I know this topic gets recycled far too often, but if the public's general understanding is that game scores are interpreted similarly to grades (and that is the public's general understanding, whether anyone likes it or not), then yes, 4.5 is "F" territory and should not be given unless enormous failings are present within the game.

Going back on topic, the demo felt solid to me and I had tons of fun with the included level. I'm going to hold out on purchasing until Sony announces the PSN Plus offerings for next month. It's probably nothing more than wishful thinking, but I see this as an ideal PSN Plus freebie since people who get it for free will probably be more inclined to pay for DLC.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
This game has the most insultingly short trial I've ever seen.

I have no intent of buying this now, but tried out the trial... and after it ended... I tried it again. And again. Probably played it for 20 min this way, lol. The game loads fairly fast, and you can explore the whole level front side and hack, just by jumping right back in.

Anywho, this game doesn't even have character customization? Man, that was part of the main reason why I played 2 on DC so much.

It felt pretty easy for me to get back into. After 1 or 2 runs, getting and using air felt natural. A few more, and I was pulling off specials... I did see some stupid "Tony launches into space, while bailing on the tip of the taxi" stuff going on, but otherwise, I found it easy to get into.

Sophia

Reading Destructoid's review, I'm gonna have to agree somewhat with the 4.5 score. What I played of the demo seems in line with their review.

Kinyou

They even explain what a 4.5 means:
Subpar: 4.5s have some high points, but they soon give way to glaring faults. Not the worst games, but are difficult to recommend to everyone who isn't already a huge fan of this genre or brand.

bedlamite

1 and 2 didn't have customization, right? Besides, this game's got far more issues than not being able to change the sneakers on your skater

Sophia

1 and 2 didn't have customization, right? Besides, this game's got far more issues than not being able to change the sneakers on your skater

THPS2 at least has Create a Skater. One of the big deals of 2X was being able to make female skaters. :D

I can't say for THPS1, I haven't played it in years, but I know it lacks Create-a-Park. Wikipedia, however, is telling me that both modes were introduced in THPS2.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
wish i had read the reviews or read this thread before copping. the game physics feel really "off" and the graphics are kinda muddy and not bright. i'll have friends coming over later tonight though so we'll see how it holds up then.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Ouch. I didn't know that they were rebuilding the game from the ground up. I would have preferred a straight up-rezzed repackaging with a smooth framerate, improved character models and environments and some online leaderboards. You don't fuck with a classic formula like that. Bummer.

Chavelo

I thought Robomodo said they were using Neversoft's code as their base for the game.

Were they lying or did they change too much?

Their explanation is irrelevant if it's not actually followed. See, the average score handed out by Destructoid is a 71. Hence, regardless of what they see, "average" on Destructoid means 70-ish, so a 4.5 isn't just "sub-par", but far, far below average.

no.

no.

no.

the two 'averages' are not the same thing. the average score destructoid give out is meaningless unless they review every single game, or at the very least, a randomly selected cross section of games.

they do not do either of those, as most review places do not. shovelware titles are real, and shit, and considered when we talk about the 'average' quality of a game. most review sites as we expect focus on the bigger titles, and these bigger titles are quite logically going to be above average quality.

that destructoid have an average of 70 ish tells us more about the kind of games they review, and it doesn't contradict their review scale at all.

Bgamer90

Banned
Reading Destructoid's review, I'm gonna have to agree somewhat with the 4.5 score. What I played of the demo seems in line with their review.

But the first THPS was pretty sluggish when you started off and the game was also pretty dark/dull looking as well.

Still don't get some of the complaints to be honest. Seems like a case of nostalgia when it comes to some of the complaints.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
But the first THPS was pretty sluggish when you started off and the game was also pretty dark/dull looking as well.

Still don't get some of the complaints to be honest. Seems like a case of nostalgia when it comes to some of the complaints.

this is valid - once i get a bunch of points in my characters, it'll get a lot better.

Ocaso

no.

no.

no.

the two 'averages' are not the same thing. the average score destructoid give out is meaningless unless they review every single game, or at the very least, a randomly selected cross section of games.

they do not do either of those, as most review places do not. shovelware titles are real, and shit, and considered when we talk about the 'average' quality of a game. most review sites as we expect focus on the bigger titles, and these bigger titles are quite logically going to be above average quality.

that destructoid have an average of 70 ish tells us more about the kind of games they review, and it doesn't contradict their review scale at all.

This argument might hold water on iOS or Android (and perhaps the Wii), but on the Xbox 360 or PS3? Hardly. There is no doubt that shovelware exists, but it does not make up the lions share of games on these major consoles. Rather, titles by major publishers make up the bulk of gams on those systems, and yes, the bulk of these are reviewed by these major sites. Even if shovelware games were routinely reviewed by major sites, I doubt they'd be numerous enough to decrease the average score on any major gaming site to a 5. For better or worse, the average game on major sites scores about 7, and no amount of wishful thinking will change that.

You're wasting your time. At this point people are posting just to pile on. Even people who claim to have no interest in the game due to no spliscreen are back in the thread today.

Aaron

Second game improved a lot on that. 2x for the xbox seems like a better game than this.

You're wasting your time. At this point people are posting just to pile on. Even people who claim to have no interest in the game due to no spliscreen are back in the thread today.
I was interested until I heard that. Surprised by it really. I've burned through these levels so going back single player probably wouldn't do much for me, but playing against a friend on the same couch would have been worth $15.

8byte

Banned
Just saw this isn't coming to PSN until August. Fucking L-O-L.

Will wait for a massive discount, regardless of the reason. Was already rubbed the wrong way with how extremely mismanaged this shit was.

Damn, I don't like the way this controls at all from just playing the trial. I've always played the Tony Hawk games on PS1, PS2, PSP and DS using the D-pad exclusively. So is the trouble I'm having with the game just the 360 controller or is the game's controls just poorly designed?

jack.

Banned
Damn, I don't like the way this controls at all from just playing the trial. I've always played the Tony Hawk games on PS1, PS2, PSP and DS using the D-pad exclusively. So is the trouble I'm having with the game just the 360 controller or is the game's controls just poorly designed?

Robomodo just got the controls wrong.

Nevasleep

I'm enjoying it, just unlocked the hanger.
Maybe it's because the last Tony Hawk I've been playing was on iOS, but it didn't take long to get used to the controls.

Sophia

It wasn't sluggish like this, and the first THPS came out over ten years ago. Also, you're still ignoring the fact that THPS2/3/4 weren't sluggish at all when you started out.

There's really no excuse for it, nor for the framerate. :p

Yes, let's go into fallacy territory because both users and critics alike had the same complaints. *rolls eyes*

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Game is really start to click with me now I've almost maxed my stats. Gonna be a while till I get back to my best, though. :p

Only two complaints I have with the game at the moment:

1) Wall riding is a pain in the arse. Fix this shit.

2) Ragdolls are a bit heavy handed. I used to like banging in to walls to finish a grind, can't do that any more (within reason) when I have my speed increased.

This argument might hold water on iOS or Android (and perhaps the Wii), but on the Xbox 360 or PS3? Hardly. There is no doubt that shovelware exists, but it does not make up the lions share of games on these major consoles. Rather, titles by major publishers make up the bulk of gams on those systems, and yes, the bulk of these are reviewed by these major sites. Even if shovelware games were routinely reviewed by major sites, I doubt they'd be numerous enough to decrease the average score on any major gaming site to a 5. For better or worse, the average game on major sites scores about 7, and no amount of wishful thinking will change that.
it doesn't need to make up the lionshare to significantly effect the average, espescially when the titles that *aren't* being reviewed are of noticeably poorer quality than the ones that are, as is the case here.

it's not wishful thinking of me to point out that you are incorrect to think that you can look at the average score Destructoid assign the games they bother to review and presume it has any bearing on what they claim makes for an average game when looking at every game released.

i never said that if they reviewed every game that it would average a 5. i told you, correctly, that the average score that they assign does not contradict their review scale. their review scale may or may not be off, but the statistic you provided has absolutely no bearing on that.

7 is an average for the games Destructiod review. 5 can still be average for all the games, whether they review them or not. these are not equivalent averages that you can compare against the other.

Top Bottom