• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater HD |OT| LIGHTS OUT, GUERILLA RADI... oh (28k)

wwm0nkey

trying to appeal to dat SKATE fanbase..this is exactly the kind of shit SSX fan were worried about when the reboot was reveled with that terrible trailer.

Ummm no?

SSZ fans were worried it was going to be a dudebro snowboarding game, thankfully that didn't happen.

I don't often say this, but I wish I could get a refund on this game.

You can.

I realize it says "no refunds" in the EULA, but if the product is fundamentally broken, or misrepresented by the demo, or otherwise doesn't function, just call MS and ask for your points back.

I've had to do this a few times over the years, with such broken shit games as Mr. Driller Online, and I've had zero issues with it. Be rational on the phone and it's usually quick and painless.

*shrug*

AHA-Lambda

Is activision fucking serious? They only give you 1:30 for the demo, not even 2 minutes for the first level? Even the the damn jampack demo from ages ago gave you the full 2 minutes. What a load of crap.

This. It's the laziest, most insulting excuse for a demo I've seen in a long time; a 2 minute timer on screen and it doesn't even give you that!

fnmore1

I'm having a blast right now.

Same. Once you get over the minor glitches and begin getting used to the game, it's definitely a lot more entertaining than the minute-thirty demo.

Also, currently #3 in the world for all levels combined. Get at me.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I enjoy it, when it works. So many glitches though. My screen just went white for a good 15 seconds, couldn't see a thing, but I was still playing.

Reading that Destructoid just now... I'm sort of unhappy with how prevalent 'maps' has become.

LEVELS DUDE

Also, THPS2X is US/Canada only, right?

Ocaso

not at all. average things can be incredibly rare if we're talking about average something measured on a scale. there's little evidence that we'd be looking at a bell curve if we look at gaming on a whole, and nothing to suggest that we'd be looking at a bell curve when it comes to the games that Destructoid review.

There's nothing to suggest it's not a bell curve. In fact, it's almost certainly a bell curve, albeit one that's negatively skewed.

i don't follow you here at all. setting up a scale so that the *average* game you actually bother reviewing gets an average score is pointless. the smaller the site, the less you review, so the more you'll focus on the major games and the higher your average will be. if we followed this logic, small sites would be much harsher on games than ones that can review something more like an accurate cross section of gaming.

you score on the quality of gaming in general, not on the quality of what you can afford time and money to cover. even those of us that rate harshly, would probably find an average score above 5 if we looked at the games we've bought.

I understand your point, but the argument is still flawed. You're arguing that an "average" game, which I believe you mean to be a mediocre one, should get a 5, and that this has no bearing on the actual average score. Furthermore, you seem to believe that if websites (or at least Destructoid) reviewed every single game released, their average score would actually be nearer a 5. Because, as I previously mentioned, your second point is false, your first point is also flawed because if the "average" game is actually getting a 7, then that is what constitutes mediocrity almost by definition regardless of what Destructoid or anyone else wants and that is how most people interpret the scale.

but i'm done with this silly tangent anyways. Destructoid have told you what they thought of the game with words in the review. if you want to get upset about the number, or want to say the number means it's worse than destructoid said it was in their review, knock yourself out.

i really don't give a crap what number is tagged onto the end of a review.

I don't either, nor do I care that they gave this game a 4.5. If that's what the reviewer felt it deserved, so be it. The point is that neither the review's text nor the score given denote an "average" game, so let's not pretend that's what a 5 means in the gaming world.

This was the only HD remake I ever really got excited for. So disappointing. I thought this would be my new go to XBLA game. Time to break out the PS1 games to soothe the pain.

Does anyone think we will ever see Dave Mirra gain?
Forgot about that game. Or how about a new Mat Hoffman's Pro BMX game. The release of this game just makes me want to go play all these kinds of games on my old systems. Really wish this was out on PS3 at the same time as the 360 version.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
First few hour or so with the game I thought it was a mess but now I'm enjoying it. I think it was just myself sucking since it's been a long long time from playing the originals.

Never played Dave Mirra but enjoyed Mat Hoffman's BMX.

Anyone been launched into the sky yet? Happened a few times now when attempting a grind lol.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
damn, very disappointed to hear everyone's reactions to the game. i guess im not getting this after all :(

People who have played the game seem to have pretty positive impressions. Takes a bit to get used to and you need to stat your character up but the game is very fun.

First few hour or so with the game I thought it was a mess but now I'm enjoying it. I think it was just myself sucking since it's been a long long time from playing the originals.

Never played Dave Mirra but enjoyed Mat Hoffman's BMX.

Anyone been launched into the sky yet? Happened a few times now when attempting a grind lol.
Dave Mirra was way better than Hoffman in my opinion. The trick system in Mirra was insane. You could combine all kinds of different tricks together. No handed superman double tailwhip for example...haha!

This game is fun but is seriously lacking content. This NEEDS create-a-skatepark. It would add endless replayability to the game.

Anth0ny

The physics are changed, but I compare it to Sonic Generations. The classic gameplay in Generations wasn't 1:1 with the Genesis gameplay. There were some strange changes. But not strange enough to completely disregard the game.

THPS HD is no Sonic 4 when compared to the classic THPS physics. I got the hang of the physics after a few runs.

Also, you need to be playing this with the classic music. You will completely forget about any of the changes while Ace of Spades is playing ^_^

Sajjaja

This game is fun but is seriously lacking content. This NEEDS create-a-skatepark. It would add endless replayability to the game.

That means no money for activision then lol. YOU NEED THE DLC FOR MORE MAPS!!!

Also, what do people mean when they say THPS2X.... whats that X for....

Chavelo

That means no money for activision then lol. YOU NEED THE DLC FOR MORE MAPS!!!

Also, what do people mean when they say THPS2X.... whats that X for....

Xbox 1 game.

THPS1 + THPS2 remake with new levels created just for the release.

Plus it also has the soundtrack from the 2nd game, I believe.

I need to get an HD for my Xbox 360 slim (arcade version) to play it again. XD

Venice Beach. The money on top of the tower. I'm using the ramp on the roof and I just can't get to it. Tried like 50 times. It never used to be this hard. Anyone else managed it? What am I doing wrong?!

Edit: never mind, just got it first time!

iNvid02

updated the review post here, this is probably the last time - lttp review sites be damned.

opinion is wildy split on this one, just try the demo and see if it is enough for you

Bgamer90

Banned
It wasn't sluggish like this,

I had the Dreamcast version of THPS1 and it was pretty sluggish to control when I started the game out since my skater had bad stats.

and the first THPS came out over ten years ago. Also, you're still ignoring the fact that THPS2/3/4 weren't sluggish at all when you started out.

No I'm not ignoring that. The THPS games after the first two did have a difference in speed. They were faster/ more "arcadey". To be honest I feel they pretty much nailed the feel of the very first THPS when you start out. And just like the old game, as you progress and get more stats, the controls become easier, more loose, and faster. Spins become easier to pull off as well.

There's really no excuse for it, nor for the framerate. :p

Heh, well then go ahead and skip buying it then.

I'm having fun with it though.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
As long as we're kinda on the topic of good THPS games, how was 4? I skipped that because I'd kinda worn myself out after playing 3 so damn much... and the ones after 4 were where they went off the rails... so to speak.

As long as we're kinda on the topic of good THPS games, how was 4? I skipped that because I'd kinda worn myself out after playing 3 so damn much... and the ones after 4 were where they went off the rails... so to speak.

Was that the one that first let you get off your board or was that underground?

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
I actually enjoyed the demo. I made it a mission to try to get all of the goals before the 30 second mark. Having a reset button made it much more enjoyable and I was happy that the music wasn't interrupted on restart. I was able to get everything, but the damn cash. It actually felt pretty good with a 360 dpad, but the physics are pretty wonky. Bailing looks pretty awkward and getting stuck on geometry is not how I remember the original. Also the "kickflip the gap" or whatever goal was glitchy. It didn't always register.

I'll wait to see if they fix the physics and how much they try to milk this with DLC before buying.

Bgamer90

Banned

4 and underground were good.

4 was the first open world tony hawk that broke out of the "2 minute run" format. It was a good game. It should hold up well.

I used to play THPS4 online for hours on my PS2.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Was that the one that first let you get off your board or was that underground?

That was underground I think, 4 was the first with the open world style levels that weren't tied to a timer. It was pretty good, but set things up for the down fall of the series.

Alright, just finished up the career with Rodney Mullen, and unlocked the Projectives (which seem like they will be pretty fucking hard.)

While I certainly think there are things I wish were better: level choice (fuck Downhill Jam), physics can get weird at times, create-a modes not in. I still am having a ton of fun, and it is certainly scratching that THPS itch for me. Interested to see what they will do with the THPS 3 DLC in the future, but for $15 I am totally satisfied with my purchase.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
lol 1:30 minute demo. not buying this. .I wonder how many months the dev team was given to squeeze this shit out.

It did away with the 2 minute thing and instead have you accepting missions in the levels, some of them are pretty involved. good game. boba fett.

That was Underground. 4 was the one with the open world aspect.

That was underground I think, 4 was the first with the open world style levels that weren't tied to a timer. It was pretty good, but set things up for the down fall of the series.

Ah, alright. Ya, I remember hating 4 when it first came out because it was a big shift but when I tried it again years later I didn't really mind it. I still don't like underground and the whole jumping off your board thing, just seemed so stupid and tacked on.

I'm still tempted to get this even though I'm disappointed because I miss the old games so much. :(

Top Bottom